Bummed Out

The cruise news has been so discouraging lately.  Two of our cruises have been canceled.  I used to love to watch cruise vloggers, but I can't do it anymore. It's too depressing. I think we are going to wait a while to use our FCC.  I don't want to be disappointed again. I was trying to be optimistic, but this last set back was enough. I'm going to concentrate on our land vacations.  Stepping back....

• Like 3

It is discouraging.   When they cancel my cruise at the end of September, I will roll it over to January.  I don't want to deal with risking it on a cruise this year.  If cruising does end up starting later in the year, I might be able to book something last minute.  I think it will bother me a lot less to not have something scheduled for 2020.  It's always disappointing to look forward to something that doesn't end up happening.

No sense focusing on a situation I can't change.  Cruising is my favorite type of vacation because it's the only time my husband and I can disconnect from everything else.  Our phones are turned off and we can really just focus on ourselves and having fun.  We are finally at a point in our lives when our time is so flexible that we can cruise at any time.  Then the pandemic.  Oh well.  This too will pass and someday we will cruise again.  I will refocus my hopes to my January cruise.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

It is discouraging.   When they cancel my cruise at the end of September, I will roll it over to January.  I don't want to deal with risking it on a cruise this year.  If cruising does end up starting later in the year, I might be able to book something last minute.  I think it will bother me a lot less to not have something scheduled for 2020.  It's always disappointing to look forward to something that doesn't end up happening.

No sense focusing on a situation I can't change.  Cruising is my favorite type of vacation because it's the only time my husband and I can disconnect from everything else.  Our phones are turned off and we can really just focus on ourselves and having fun.  We are finally at a point in our lives when our time is so flexible that we can cruise at any time.  Then the pandemic.  Oh well.  This too will pass and someday we will cruise again.  I will refocus my hopes to my January cruise.

Actually our favorite time to cruise is February.  We'll see how it goes.

• Like 2

Just now, Butterbean1000 said:

Actually our favorite time to cruise is February.  We'll see how it goes.

I think that's a good time of year and there is no worry about hurricanes.  We have cruised several times in January.  Our biggest issue is the weather getting to the port city, but we always fly in a day early and that works for us.

• Like 1

I felt depressed all day yesterday. My ta says well I should have expected this or that, but I get depressed every time I'm cancelled. 

I'm booked aug, oct, Jan feb, and march of 2022. Running out of space to keep moving cruises and prices keep rising which also is depressing. No deals left I havent booked.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

^^^^^ This! The voice of reason, and words of wisdom. Agree 100%

• Like 2

When our cruise on the Fantasy was cancelled, we decided to book for next year but choose another ship since even a few months ago I was doubtful the Fantasy would be back. Now it is looking doubtful for her and the other Fantasy class will ever sail again for Carnival. I hope I am wrong since we enjoy the Fantasy class ships. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

The cruise news has been so discouraging lately.  Two of our cruises have been canceled.  I used to love to watch cruise vloggers, but I can't do it anymore. It's too depressing. I think we are going to wait a while to use our FCC.  I don't want to be disappointed again. I was trying to be optimistic, but this last set back was enough. I'm going to concentrate on our land vacations.  Stepping back....

we just got back yesterday from navarre, fl. for a week. it is a beautiful place. you could not tell that there was a virus around. the beaches was full everyday and the restraunts was busy. hope everyone stays safe. had a great time. there is nothing wrong with a land vacation. good luck everyone.

• Like 3

I am feeling discouraged and depressed lately.  I am living somewhere that has only the cost of living going for it - I can afford to go places and do things because I live here.  Take away going places and doing things....

• Like 2

• Major cruise lines have agreed to voluntarily extend a suspension of operations out of U.S. ports until Sept. 15, the Cruise Lines International Association announced Friday.
  • Members of the trade group, which includes cruising giants such as Royal Caribbean, Carnival Corp. and Norwegian Cruise Line, had previously announced a pause of operations on March 13. 
  • On March 14, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a no-sail order for cruise ships, and on April 9 it extended the order until July 24. 
  • Like 1

I too have been depressed.  I have very little, if any, hope for October.  I booked that one to replace the one cancelled in March.

My youngest daughter hosted a father's day celebration in her yard earlier today.  Even with no hugs it was great to be there.  The group remained distanced, but they did get my mind off cruising for awhile.

This coming week I'll try to figure out whether and when to rebook.

• Like 1

We have a cruise booked in December on the Radiance so there is double anxiety about it. I am pretty sure it’s going to be canceled and I’m ok with it. I was hoping cruises would have started in August to see what happens but now I’m worried December might be one of the first ones. We are just hanging tight and hoping we get the news soon. These boards are almost becoming unbearable as well. So much negativity that it actually gets me down. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe with so many people out and about in the past few weeks, it will help speed things along.  I really think it makes much more sense for the cruise lines to start out with 3 and 4 day cruises.  The odds will be so much better that the cruises will sail without issues than a longer cruise.  Then they could slowly add days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tjcalley said:

These boards are almost becoming unbearable as well. So much negativity that it actually gets me down. 

This, unfortunately.

I spent most of April & May avoiding the forum. Popped in every few days hoping to see a thread to participate in that talked about something other than COVID, negative speculations, or how evil Carnival is, but that's pretty much all it was, so I logged in & out within minutes. It was refreshing seeing things turn around on here this past month, but now another bomb has gone off, so it looks like another break is in order.

I feel for the people who've been cancelled multiple times. I'm sure it's a defeating feeling. We're booked in early Jan. and, at this point in time, I'm still choosing to remain confident that it'll happen.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Maybe with so many people out and about in the past few weeks, it will help speed things along.  I really think it makes much more sense for the cruise lines to start out with 3 and 4 day cruises.  The odds will be so much better that the cruises will sail without issues than a longer cruise.  Then they could slowly add days.

That is one of my suspicions since I noticed they removed all 6+ day cruises for October from the website. I have a feeling the new plan may be starting with short cruises in October and moving to longer cruises in November. 

The part of it that doesn’t make sense to me is that debarkation/embarkation day should be longer than it used to be and they’re going to have more of those days going with short cruises.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Sorry you had another cruise be cancelled 😞

I know how much you were looking forward to finally getting to go after being previously cancelled. I hope it happens soon or you find an alternative option to enjoy 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I have already had 3 cruises cancelled and fully expect my cruise in October to be cancelled as well. Now I am worried that cruises we have booked in January and February are also in jeopardy. I understand the severity of this current virus, but I don’t understand why the CDC seems determined to kill the cruise industry. It’s not like the virus isn’t spreading because cruise lines are not operating. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Good attitude. Maybe try and all inclusive. It's a similar vacation experience where you can disconnect and everything is provided for you. It's actually nicer in some ways because you have a bigger room, beach access and large pools every day, and no signing for drinks. Downside for us is there are less activities and the entertainment isn't as good. But we tend to alternate between cruises, exotic land  trips, and all inclusives. 

37 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have already had 3 cruises cancelled and fully expect my cruise in October to be cancelled as well. Now I am worried that cruises we have booked in January and February are also in jeopardy. I understand the severity of this current virus, but I don’t understand why the CDC seems determined to kill the cruise industry. It’s not like the virus isn’t spreading because cruise lines are not operating. 

I was very hopeful that things would be "back to normal" by February (when we planned to take our next international trip). I am much less hopeful now. I think that things in the US and globally may start to be "under control" by late summer to early fall, just in time for the second wave combined with the flu season. The only positive is that now they have the quick tests as opposed to having to quarantine you for days while they get results back when you have flu like symptoms. I truly don't know how this winter is going to look but I'm losing my optimism that my February trip will occur. 

• Like 1

Op I’ve been down too. I just went in January so I shouldn’t. But I didn’t have one planned so I have nothing to look forward to. I udd sad ually spend my time on the boards reading reviews but I can’t do that wither. Cheers

• Like 1

Yep, I got the official cancellation too.  They did extend it to the end of September, thankfully.  I cancelled my flights on Southwest and never did reserve a hotel or transportation.  I never even scheduled excursions.  I will call next week when things settle down and have it all rolled over to my January cruise.  I actually feel better now that it isn't in limbo  I was worried they were only going to cancel through September 15th.

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

Yep, I got the official cancellation too.  They did extend it to the end of September, thankfully.  I cancelled my flights on Southwest and never did reserve a hotel or transportation.  I never even scheduled excursions.  I will call next week when things settle down and have it all rolled over to my January cruise.  I actually feel better now that it isn't in limbo  I was worried they were only going to cancel through September 15th.

There is a certain amount of relief after getting the official cancellation of our cruise after a couple of months of stressing on it.  After all this, the hubs is already looking to rebook.  Oy vey.  Here we go again.  I think I'm just going to turn everything over to him and he can let me know when and where we are going a few days in advance of leaving.  LOL. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

There is a certain amount of relief after getting the official cancellation of our cruise after a couple of months of stressing on it.  After all this, the hubs is already looking to rebook.  Oy vey.  Here we go again.  I think I'm just going to turn everything over to him and he can let me know when and where we are going a few days in advance of leaving.  LOL. 

Actually, the cancellation feels like a weight off of my shoulders.  I already have a deposit on a much less expensive cruise in January and am going to call to see how that will work.  If cruising does end up starting later this year, I may book something last minute.

• Like 1