DISCOVERY PRINCESS - CURRENT STATUS??

PoohUnderstands

I received my email this afternoon.  My New Year cruise is now on the Regal and I $15 which I believe will cover the wine and chocolate sampler at Vines.  Happy to still be on the same itinerary.  I have not sailed on the Royal class yet.  Regal here I come unless COVID cancels cruises through New Year.

4 minutes ago, Tak8 said:

I received my email this afternoon.  My New Year cruise is now on the Regal and I $15 which I believe will cover the wine and chocolate sampler at Vines.  Happy to still be on the same itinerary.  I have not sailed on the Royal class yet.  Regal here I come unless COVID cancels cruises through New Year.

We have been on the Regal twice...once for a transatlantic to Russia and Scandinavia. It's a great ship!! We were really upset when they took her away from Fort Lauderdale. We booked the Discovery for the same cruise you had, although we were staying on for the 32 day South America cruise, now obviously cancelled (with no replacement ship). Like you, I have no idea how I will ever spend all of that $15!!😂 It will be interesting to see how much drink prices rise when cruising begins again. Hopefully, we will get free champagne at midnight!!😂

1 hour ago, chicgotgame said:

Just got three emails canceling my cruise on Discovery Princess scheduled for Nov 3- Nov 24 due to deployment changes. Still have one more cruise booked on the Discovery Princess for January 24, 2022  that was not part of the flurry of cancellation notices.  

Just wait. It's coming. We were booked for Jan. 6th - Feb.7th. Cancelled. I can't find another Discovery sailing until March from LA.

18 minutes ago, jimmieg said:

Seems unusual that they would deadhead the whole way from Europe to Los Angeles, but anything is possible in these unusual times. Maybe faster/cheaper with only refueling stops.

They also might still offer the TA and maybe add a Panama Canal to get her over here once they know the date for delivery? I suspect if that were the case they wouldn't commit to it until they are sure of the date the ship will be delivered. If that happens, there may be more cancellations.

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

They also might still offer the TA and maybe add a Panama Canal to get her over here once they know the date for delivery? I suspect if that were the case they wouldn't commit to it until they are sure of the date the ship will be delivered. If that happens, there may be more cancellations.

Anything is possible.

When I read the statement from Carnival, we had our travel agent reserve Club Class on Enchantment Trans-Atlantic.  Will still be crossing the Atlantic on an inaugural cruise, and it will leave Barcelona which is our favorite city.  

Sorry to see Discovery delayed, but in the end we think we will have a better cruise.

We had 3 cabins on the discovery from ft lauderdale dec 29. Now the regal. But my husband and I were continuing for 50 more days around South America. What do we do now? Next notice will be cancelled. Not worth the airlines for 8 days versus 61. Will they offer an alternative?

6 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

$15 FCC pp seems like a joke! 

6 hours ago, taznremmy said:

I'm wondering if it is a typo?  That will barely cover the cost of one martini! 🍸

This was also the offer from Princess in recent rounds of redeployment cancellations. Yes, it is $15 per person... lol

10 hours ago, jimmieg said:

Seems unusual that they would deadhead the whole way from Europe to Los Angeles, but anything is possible in these unusual times. Maybe faster/cheaper with only refueling stops.

A Trans-Atlantic in February would not be much fun.

10 hours ago, jimmieg said:

10 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Deadheading the ship can make sense under certain circumstances. It could allow them to keep some contractors/workers onboard to finish any items not done prior to handover by the shipyard.  

Due to lifeboat placement Discovery would need a special dispensation to transit the new locks of the canal and would not allow her to do so with any passengers whatsoever and only limited crew. I am also unsure if her air draft is sufficient to pass safely under the bridge of the Americas. 

It is more likely they will deadhead her eastbound via the Suez Canal, SE Asia and the Pacific if anything. With minimal stops for fuel they should be able to do so in a reasonable time. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Deadheading the ship can make sense under certain circumstances. It could allow them to keep some contractors/workers onboard to finish any items not done prior to handover by the shipyard.  

Due to lifeboat placement Discovery would need a special dispensation to transit the new locks of the canal and would not allow her to do so with any passengers whatsoever and only limited crew. I am also unsure if her air draft is sufficient to pass safely under the bridge of the Americas. 

It is more likely they will deadhead her eastbound via the Suez Canal, SE Asia and the Pacific if anything. With minimal stops for fuel they should be able to do so in a reasonable time. 

Very interesting observations

I just checked the website, sorted by ship and the first cruise they are showing for Discovery is on 03/01/22 out of Los Angeles.  It is a 5 day sailing to Cabo San Lucas.  No options for cruises out of Europe.  Looks like they are either deadheading to the West or plans are still in the making.  I guess time will tell.

We got our notice late last night with no mention of the $15USD!!!  LOL 

We booked the Regal TA last summer, which started out as the Crown TA and changed dates twice and ships once, as a fallback.  So glad we did.  

Edited by Anubi

4 hours ago, taznremmy said:

I just checked the website, sorted by ship and the first cruise they are showing for Discovery is on 03/01/22 out of Los Angeles.  It is a 5 day sailing to Cabo San Lucas.  No options for cruises out of Europe.  Looks like they are either deadheading to the West or plans are still in the making.  I guess time will tell.

Nope.  They already have a plan.  Carnival Corp will only be taking delivery of one new ship in 2022 and it won't be the Discovery Princess.

We were booked on the Discovery NYE cruise.  I feel like the fare was much more expensive due to it being a new ship.  Now that they have put in the much older Regal, I am wondering if the fare will be adjusted.  We've been on the Regal before and it's a nice ship but it certainly isn't the brand new Discovery.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dar & Bob said:

We were booked on the Discovery NYE cruise.  I feel like the fare was much more expensive due to it being a new ship.  Now that they have put in the much older Regal, I am wondering if the fare will be adjusted.  We've been on the Regal before and it's a nice ship but it certainly isn't the brand new Discovery.  Thoughts?

You have a valid point.  I would hope for a lower fare.  I just watched a RCCL  video yesterday and Matt was discussing 7 things cruisers need to know.  And New vs Old was one pont, and the only guarantee on a new ship is the Higher Price is what I took away from the discussion.

9 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

same as us - we've been on the Regal, and while it is a nice ship ... not for the price point that we booked the Discovery for 

will see what cabin assigned, monitor for price reductions, but will prolly cancel if not a significant drop in price

oh, well

• Like 1