DISCOVERY PRINCESS - CURRENT STATUS??

PoohUnderstands

2 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

However, if Discovery is delayed, numerous cruises will be cancelled and that will be a signfiicant loss of income to Princess. 

Not if Princess is still on 'time out'.

Everything I said was predicated on if ships are idle, there is no need to rush delivery.

And, there might not be any actual loss of income:

Lots of people will pay for the inaguaral, whenever it is.

Lots of other people are using credits from cancelled cruises.

And, finally, lots of people could be shuffled to ships in service.

Based on a subsequent post, it doesn't neither your opinion, nor mine matter.

Carnival has already decided.

So the post that claimed princess was doing everything possible was ... um ... wrong.

2 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Not if Princess is still on 'time out'.

Everything I said was predicated on if ships are idle, there is no need to rush delivery.

And, there might not be any actual loss of income:

Lots of people will pay for the inaguaral, whenever it is.

Lots of other people are using credits from cancelled cruises.

And, finally, lots of people could be shuffled to ships in service.

Based on a subsequent post, it doesn't neither your opinion, nor mine matter.

Carnival has already decided.

So the post that claimed princess was doing everything possible was ... um ... wrong.

I am a bit optimistic, I do feel by the summer that the cruise industry will be resuming something like normal operations.  Reason...the vast majority of Americans should be vaccinated by then. 

• Like 1

Wonder if we’ll get lucky & the Discovery will be the one new CCL ship to enter service this year. 🤞

“It also said it expects only one ship to enter service in 2021, instead of the five that were originally slated to debut this year. The Corporation did not disclose which of the five ships it would launch this year”.

Edited by Astro Flyer

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

Wonder if we’ll get lucky & the Discovery will be the one new CCL ship to enter service this year. 🤞

“It also said it expects only one ship to enter service in 2021, instead of the five that were originally slated to debut this year. The Corporation did not disclose which of the five ships it would launch this year”.

I am still hoping that this decision is not final.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tak8 said:

Without having the list and original sail date of the five potential new ships this year, I'd bet against the ship that had a November sail date.  

The only new Carnival Corp ship that is expected to go into service in 2021, is a Holland ship.  They have 
"negotiated a delay" on the other 4 that were scheduled for 2021, including the Discovery.  Bummed!

2 minutes ago, suzyed said:

The only new Carnival Corp ship that is expected to go into service in 2021, is a Holland ship.  They have 
"negotiated a delay" on the other 4 that were scheduled for 2021, including the Discovery.  Bummed!

Do you have a source for those statements?

Their top management didn’t state which CCL ship would enter service in 2021.

19 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

“The remaining ship to join Carnival Corporation's fleet in 2021 is widely expected to be Holland America's Rotterdam, although the company did not elaborate on delivery dates or ships in its earnings press release.

Other ships previously scheduled to join the company's global fleet in 2021 included the AIDAcosma, Seabourn Venture and Costa Toscana, plus the Discovery Princess, which have all been delayed thus far.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24181-carnival-to-delay-most-remaining-2021-ship-deliveries.html

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

“The remaining ship to join Carnival Corporation's fleet in 2021 is widely expected to be Holland America's Rotterdam, although the company did not elaborate on delivery dates or ships in its earnings press release.

Other ships previously scheduled to join the company's global fleet in 2021 included the AIDAcosma, Seabourn Venture and Costa Toscana, plus the Discovery Princess, which have all been delayed thus far.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24181-carnival-to-delay-most-remaining-2021-ship-deliveries.html

Thanks for quickly posting the source of that information from today.

We’re booked on the Discovery from LA in Spring 2022 & even before this information there was speculation about another Royal-Class ship sailing the Discovery’s itineraries if the ship was delayed.

During the pandemic flexibility is the norm & looking forward to the time when cruising can return as a safe travel option.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks for quickly posting the source of that information from today.

We’re booked on the Discovery from LA in Spring of 2022 & even before this information there was speculation about another Royal-Class ship sailing the Discovery’s itineraries if the ship was delayed.

During the pandemic flexibility is the norm & looking forward to the time when cruising can return as a safe travel option.

While I was really looking forward to sailing on Discovery, I would probably consider another ship it they switched them out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, suzyed said:

While I was really looking forward to sailing on Discovery, I would probably consider another ship it they switched them out.

We would also consider it if it was another Royal-Class ship which for us provides our best cruise experience (sailed Royal, Regal, Sky & scheduled on Majestic in Fall 2021 in addition to our Discovery cruises). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

We would also consider it if it was another Royal-Class ship which for us provides our best cruise experience (sailed Royal, Regal, Sky & scheduled on Majestic in Fall 2021 in addition to our Discovery cruises). 

This was going to be our first time on a Royal-Class ship....so we're doubly disappointed.

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

1 hour ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

"Widely expected" is conjecture, not fact.

It may end up being true, but there is no certainty at this time.

• Like 1

we've got 2 cruises booked on Discovery for next December - one the little 4 day (US Inaugural) and then an 8 day at the end of December for New Years

only have $ 115 total deposit on the 4 day, and $ 2 on the 8 day

will let them ride for now, I guess ...

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

we've got 2 cruises booked on Discovery for next December - one the little 4 day (US Inaugural) and then an 8 day at the end of December for New Years

only have $ 115 total deposit on the 4 day, and $ 2 on the 8 day

will let them ride for now, I guess ...

We have one booked for November 24 with a cruise tour before.  The only thing we have down on it is 2 FCDs.  We will let it ride too but I really feel like I need to book something else...just in case.

8 hours ago, caribill said:

"Widely expected" is conjecture, not fact.

It may end up being true, but there is no certainty at this time.

Pretty much like the 'fact' that princess is doing everything possible to finish discovery.

If one is interested in 'facts', an anonymous internet forum of opinions is probably the wrong place to look.

I just read this:

In reporting its fourth-quarter earnings today, Carnival said that it only expects to add one new ship to its fleet in fiscal 2021, compared with the five newbuilds that were originally scheduled for delivery this year. 

Holland America Line's Rotterdam will debut in late July. The other Carnival Corp. brand ships that were on the books to enter service this year, the Seabourn Venture, Discovery Princess, AidaCosma and Costa Toscana, will all be delayed. Carnival did not say which ships would be delayed and until when. 

Rats! Hopefully one of the other cruises I've held will be sailing. Celebrity Cruises also announced today:

In brief, Celebrity Cruises will be suspending sailings through April 30th, 2021 including the May 1st, 2021 transatlantic cruise on Celebrity Apex. As well, May through October 2021 Europe and transatlantic cruises on Celebrity Edge and Celebrity Constellation will also be suspended.

1 hour ago, Dive Girl said:

Celebrity Cruises also announced today:

In brief, Celebrity Cruises will be suspending sailings through April 30th, 2021 including the May 1st, 2021 transatlantic cruise on Celebrity Apex. As well, May through October 2021 Europe and transatlantic cruises on Celebrity Edge and Celebrity Constellation will also be suspended.

Transatlantics are more than 7 days and thus would not be allowed in US ports during the dates you listed. Celebrity is late in recognizing this and officially cancelling those cruises.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dive Girl said:

I just read this:

In reporting its fourth-quarter earnings today, Carnival said that it only expects to add one new ship to its fleet in fiscal 2021, compared with the five newbuilds that were originally scheduled for delivery this year. 

Holland America Line's Rotterdam will debut in late July. The other Carnival Corp. brand ships that were on the books to enter service this year, the Seabourn Venture, Discovery Princess, AidaCosma and Costa Toscana, will all be delayed. Carnival did not say which ships would be delayed and until when. 

Rats! Hopefully one of the other cruises I've held will be sailing. Celebrity Cruises also announced today:

Screenshot_20210112-104648_Chrome.thumb.jpg.30a0ab9d980b4bdc2c8feeaabf6861da.jpg

6 hours ago, Dive Girl said:

I just read this:

The key here may be the use of the term “fiscal year”, which for Carnival Corp will end on November 30, 2021.  So theoretically Discovery could see the delivery be delayed into early December 2021 and thus be delivered in “fiscal year 2022”. I still think we are unlikely to know anything either way until April or May. 

6 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

The key here may be the use of the term “fiscal year”, which for Carnival Corp will end on November 30, 2021.  So theoretically Discovery could see the delivery be delayed into early December 2021 and thus be delivered in “fiscal year 2022”. I still think we are unlikely to know anything either way until April or May. 

Hope you are correct, we are booked on the 50 Day, Ft Lauderdale to LA, on January 6th.  If it's cancelled, it would be our 8th cancelled cruise!