What do you think future prices will be like?

I’d say RCI stating that prices will go up is a pipe dream.  

Unless they scrap a ton of ships to reduce cabin numbers significantly, the supply is going to far outweigh the demand.  Between the economy and all the unemployed along with anyone who is not unemployed taking pay cuts due to decreased business, unless they drop prices significantly there won’t be enough cruisers to fill the ships.  

I know many of my friends have foregone their vacations this summer to make up for Covid losses, and many who are unemployed, and many who just have decreased income.  I know I am not the only one who knows many who would have taken a vacation otherwise but can’t.

19 minutes ago, rimmit said:

I know many of my friends have foregone their vacations this summer to make up for Covid losses, and many who are unemployed, and many who just have decreased income.  I know I am not the only one who knows many who would have taken a vacation otherwise but can’t.

Maybe it's a age thing? My friends are retired and its varys. My 81 year old brother in law and sister just came back from yellowstone monday.

My friends who are home ... due to covid and scared more than $. 

I'm in texas so all the headlines are scary. Since friends arent working, that isnt hitting them like younger people. My parents are pretty much under lock down. Nothing to do with money. The headlines scaring them at their age. In fact they are saving. My mom isnt even having her housekeeper in to clean.

Where is that crystal ball meriom mom posts... to predict future cruise prices.

Rcl at least is offering price protection and if prices drop will give price drop. 

If you know what prices to cruise will do if we ever get to cruise again, you know more than me.

Edited by firefly333

I am late 30s.  Most of my friends are early 30s to late 40s. Many in the medical field with good pay.

Covid slaughtered patient volumes and Cares has done minimal to assist most practices.  Most salaries cut anywhere from 10-30 percent across the board.  Many of my friends in healthcare in other positions also greatly effected.  My friend who is a peds dentist had to close up shop for 6 straight weeks.  Have some that own restaurants and other businesses and they are crushed as well.  Let’s not even talk about my friends who are hairdressers....  I was buying gift cards and just treating them to some meals for days to help them out.  Don’t think I need to pay for a haircut the rest of the year.

If you are retired you only have your 401k/403b to worry about and it’s rebounded for the most part.  I know my funds are strangely up for the year?!?!   If you are in the working world....  right now it’s just pain.  Lots of pain.... 

My family and I leave for badlands/Yellowstone/Tetons/glacier next Tuesday for two weeks, but I was lucky and spared the bloodbath as my line of work was not affected at all.  Everyone single one of my friends has taken a hit sadly.

1 hour ago, gritsnc said:

I remember during the swine flu, we got a trip super cheap. What do you think prices will be like when sailings begin again? Average, low or increased?

IMO, cruises will start out low and then become high in price.  Instead of us taking 4 cruises a year, we might have to just do 1 or 2..

50 minutes ago, retiredgram said:

IMO, cruises will start out low and then become high in price.  Instead of us taking 4 cruises a year, we might have to just do 1 or 2..

Agree. Six of my nine Booked Cruises Nov2020-Nov2021 dropped saving me over $4500 last 3 months, BUT have all gone up $300-500 each last 3 weeks. Royal was said there is enough FCC out there to Book all Oasis Class Berths for a yr, and that is before last round cancellations. As FFC and Lift and Switch are used when Cruising returns I'd bet some Cruises will be lot higher during Peak periods. Not to mention if ships are limited to 50-75% capacity. Took almost a yr after 9/11 before prices returned to normal, with less ships available this situation wont take as long. Many are willing to go sooner CV or not, including me. 

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

I Covid slaughtered patient volumes and Cares has done minimal to assist most practices.  Most salaries cut anywhere from 10-30 percent across the board.  Many of my friends in healthcare in other positions also greatly effected.  My friend who is a peds dentist had to close up shop for 6 straight weeks.  Have some that own restaurants and other businesses and they are crushed as well.  Let’s not even talk about my friends who are hairdressers....  I was buying gift cards and just treating them . I was lucky and spared the bloodbath as my line of work was not affected at all.  Everyone single one of my friends has taken a hit sadly. 

Money is neither being created nor destroyed, nor does it disappear into thin Air 

Positively thinking,

If so many businesses are losing income, then so many customers are saving an equivalent amount of cash also.

If the cruise lines are losing billions of dollars every month, it's the cruisers like us who are saving the same amount of money

10 minutes ago, drsel said:

Money is neither being created nor destroyed, nor does it disappear into thin Air.
if someone is losing money others are saving it.
If so many businesses are losing income, then so many customers are saving an equivalent amount of cash also

In my case and many of my others, a huge chunk of money comes from Medicaid and Medicare payments....   that’s the government.  I don’t think the government employees are getting to see the money the government saved on Medicaid and Medicare so they can go on more vacations.  It’s just savings for the government to help cover their trillions in debt.

While paper losses, the stock market can cause trillions to disappear at the drop of a hat.  My investments are strangely up for the year, but I know that’s not the case for the majority.  Money just disappears into thin air when the market crashes.  While some may “win” by shorting,  way more are losing when the market crashes.

While ultimately someone on the money chain is potentially saving, in many cases that cost savings does not translate into direct consumer savings.  If an insurance company is saving because no one is wrecking,  all that cost savings is not necessarily ending up in a bunch of consumers pockets.  It just lines their bottom line at years end.

Having millions file for unemployment is not balanced out by the businesses saving millions of dollars because they aren’t having to pay their employees.  It doesn’t work that way.  Money needs to move. 

Edited by rimmit

This past February we booked a January 2021 cruise on Indy which is now more than double the price we paid for our junior suites. With so many FCC"s that have to be used up before next summer (will most likely be extended though) there's no reason for Royal to lower prices right now. Who knows what the future holds though. 

I think prices will stay as they are now for next year and the sales won't make a huge difference, if you look at RCI we are currently booked on FOS and what we have paid for a B2B in October this year is only £200 more than 1 week next October .

All about supply demand, if they prices it low and starts selling fast, they'll raise prices.

More likely they will price high and see what happens, as the product doesn't move the prices will drop.   Of course if you are watching and selection drops, don't expect any prices drop.

Econ101

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drsel said:

Money is neither being created nor destroyed, nor does it disappear into thin Air 

Positively thinking,

If so many businesses are losing income, then so many customers are saving an equivalent amount of cash also.

If the cruise lines are losing billions of dollars every month, it's the cruisers like us who are saving the same amount of money

I don't think we've seen the complete fall out of the economy. Billions are being paid out each week. Round One of Pandemic Relief is set to expire at the end of July.  Money is about to get real tight again. Today's prices will not be same by the time the ships start sailing.  

1 hour ago, chris7cc said:

I think prices will stay as they are now for next year and the sales won't make a huge difference, if you look at RCI we are currently booked on FOS and what we have paid for a B2B in October this year is only £200 more than 1 week next October .

But at least the one next year might sail.

• Like 1

In the US a lot of layoffs are coming starting August.

Many businesses have held off not wanting to layoff during the pandemic. Most who took bailout money like the airlines were required to keep them on the payroll as furloughed. No income but they could still maintain health benefits.

The deadline ends in August. 

As far as future prices go all the FCC & L&S has skewed the pricing algorithms the cruise lines use to move fares around so no telling what will happen.

Edited by HaveWeMetYet

My personal feeling, at least for the working population, is that we have not felt the affects of CV19 in the workplace yet. Many companies that received assistance are not to layoff workers during it. However, I guarantee you they have evaluated everyone's salary, the cost of college grads, the cost of others already let go, and making decisions on staff already. There will be workforce reductions in many fields later this year into next year. Hiring is extremely slow in my area now. A year ago, you could hop companies in hours it was so hot. Because of that, salary demands were at their peak and companies either had to bow to the demands or go without. Now, they have 1,000 people looking at that position and can make the decision based on pay demands. I hope things turn around quickly, but they are not. 0% and negative interest borrowing is not sustainable. 

5 hours ago, gritsnc said:

I remember during the swine flu, we got a trip super cheap. What do you think prices will be like when sailings begin again? Average, low or increased?

Prices will be unbelievably high when cruising resumes in 2023.However,people will be so desperate to cruise that they will pay anything.

Prices will be unbelievably high when cruising resumes in 2023.However,people will be so desperate to cruise that they will pay anything.
If Cruises are going to resume as late as 2023, there won't be any Cruise line left in business.
They cannot survive for so long without income