Ships' Art Works

bobpatj

Each HAL ship I've sailed on has always been full of all sorts of art - paintings, sculptures, etc.  I've taken "Art Tours" on the older ships, and now that all but two are gone, who "owns" the  art onboard?  Does it go with the ship to the new owner?  Does HAL have a warehouse somewhere to store it?  Does it go to auction?

• Like 1

I’m not sure but I know when the Prinsendam was sold most went with her.

There were certain things excluded which HAL kept but what were told on board was that everything else was included.

I hope HAL is able to at least retain the Stephen Card paintings and re-allocates them on the remaining ships?

• Like 3

I wish they’d have done an art tour on the Koningsdam when I sailed it.  (Or if they did I missed it.). I took many pics of the pieces on that ship.  Recently, I found out this piece was part of the 2012 Nomad Patterns series by Chilean artist, Livia Marin.

F574B6E6-24E3-4BCE-B284-6C95F7053774.jpeg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’m not sure but I know when the Prinsendam was sold most went with her.

There were certain things excluded which HAL kept but what were told on board was that everything else was included.

I hope HAL is able to at least retain the Stephen Card paintings and re-allocates them on the remaining ships?

Jacqui, I so agree about Capt Card’s paintings.

My favorite of his is on Veendam, showing the 2 old V ships docked in Bermuda on front street. Somewhere I have a picture of it from the stairwell where it was located. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, kazu said:

I know I've seen pieces from the S-class Statendam and Ryndam that were moved to other ships.  I would think that the Card paintings of other HAL ships would not be desirable on the sold ships and would be removed, but ones of the same ship might stay.  (That is, a painting of the Amsterdam might stay on that ship under its new name, but a painting of Rotterdam would be removed.)  I recall on the Prinsendam there was a ship model outside the Crow's Nest with the former owner's name and colors. Can't remember what that was though!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, catl331 said:

I know I've seen pieces from the S-class Statendam and Ryndam that were moved to other ships.  I would think that the Card paintings of other HAL ships would not be desirable on the sold ships and would be removed, but ones of the same ship might stay.  (That is, a painting of the Amsterdam might stay on that ship under its new name, but a painting of Rotterdam would be removed.)  I recall on the Prinsendam there was a ship model outside the Crow's Nest with the former owner's name and colors. Can't remember what that was though!

I originally heard that HAL would keep the model of the Royal Viking Sun (forward on the Lido deck at the elevators) but then Riesnen wanted it since it is a model of the original ship.  I’m not sure what happened in the end.  Actually it makes sense the model stays with the ship.  I’d rather HAL got the Stephen Card paintings and redistributed them

The ones on the Prinsendam were beautiful on the aft and forward stairwells.

I think the PInnacle Class could use a few of them 😉 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Yes!  Most of the art on the Nieuw Statendam is nothing short of "weird" in my uneducated art appreciation opinion.

The replica of David with a cell phone:  what in the world is that sculpture supposed to convey?  

Not having titles on the pieces of art anywhere on the ship with no explanations did not help as well.

• Like 1

What stays or goes on any liner or cruise ship that is sold is quite variable, and has been so going back to the Great Depression in the 30's - the first rush to sell or scrap large numbers of viable ships. 

The next great purge was the Oil Crisis of the 70's that saw huge numbers of ships broken up, some as new as a mere 13 years in service.

In some cases these ships were stripped of artwork, sometimes fittings were even auctioned, and frequently most everything remained and became property of the new owner.

Typically a ship sold to another operator would include more artwork and smallwares than one sold for scrap though.

Also if the seller was remaining in business with other ships, more "proprietary" items would be held back from the buyer.

5 hours ago, kazu said:

I originally heard that HAL would keep the model of the Royal Viking Sun (forward on the Lido deck at the elevators) but then Riesnen wanted it since it is a model of the original ship.  I’m not sure what happened in the end.  Actually it makes sense the model stays with the ship.  

It was still there when we sailed the Amazon on the Princendam in fall 2018.

6 hours ago, kazu said:

I originally heard that HAL would keep the model of the Royal Viking Sun (forward on the Lido deck at the elevators) but then Riesnen wanted it since it is a model of the original ship.  I’m not sure what happened in the end.  Actually it makes sense the model stays with the ship.  I’d rather HAL got the Stephen Card paintings and redistributed them

The ones on the Prinsendam were beautiful on the aft and forward stairwells.

The Royal Viking Sun model stayed with the ship. The model is visible at 15:25 on this Amera video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7agL0gMoyGQ

Today I looked through a Fred Olsen CC thread and noticed the videos of the newly-bought Amsterdam and Rotterdam.  The Terra Cotta Warrior replicas and the Explorers Lounge murals and what looked like a Stephen Card painting were shown.  This painting's ship was smaller than usual, with the harbor more prominent.  Heartbreaking.

Hopefully our favorite ships and art works (?) will be more appreciated in their new homes.

Barbara

• Like 1

If I ever board the Amsterdam again, I will look for that model of an antique traction engine that was in a case just outside the library.  Not really a nautical theme, but I was impressed with its craftsmanship.

8 hours ago, bcummin said:

Today I looked through a Fred Olsen CC thread and noticed the videos of the newly-bought Amsterdam and Rotterdam.  The Terra Cotta Warrior replicas and the Explorers Lounge murals and what looked like a Stephen Card painting were shown.  This painting's ship was smaller than usual, with the harbor more prominent.  Heartbreaking.

Hopefully our favorite ships and art works (?) will be more appreciated in their new homes.

Barbara

Those videos are HAL videos; they were filmed some time ago. The items onboard the ships may or may not go to Fred Olsen. In fact, I think someone even mentioned that items like the Terra Cotta warriors may not go -- but they are only replicas, at any rate...  Several have said that the Stephen Card paintings also likely would not stay with the ship(s).

• Like 1

If I recall correctly there is a large wall sculpture in a stairwell on Amsterdam that was originally from the Nieuw Amsterdam of 1938.

Hopefully HAL is negotiating to retain this piece for use in another ship of theirs.

But the reality is we, meaning cruise and ship enthusiasts, may care but today’s HAL maybe not?

• Like 3

19 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Jacqui, I so agree about Capt Card’s paintings.

My favorite of his is on Veendam, showing the 2 old V ships docked in Bermuda on front street. Somewhere I have a picture of it from the stairwell where it was located. 

You mean this one. Also a favorite of mine.  I took this in February this year when I was aboard Veendam for my fourth (and last, I did not know then!) time.

I have in my collection of memorbilia the press package for Veendam’s debut in 1996.  In it is a description of various art pieces, including Captain Card’s paintings. This painting depicts a date in September 1982 which was Captain Card’s first day as Harbormaster in Bermuda.  He also served aboard the tug shown pulling Veendam (III) off the berth.

5F650FE0-83CA-47FA-9C30-79148C07A6CE.jpeg

Edited by ShipsAreTheBest
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ShipsAreTheBest said:

You mean this one. Also a favorite of mine.  I took this in February this year when I was aboard Veendam for my fourth (and last, I did not know then!) time.

I have in my collection of memorbilia the press package for Veendam’s debut in 1996.  In it is a description of various art pieces, including Captain Card’s paintings. This painting depicts a date in September 1982 which was Captain Card’s first day as Harbormaster in Bermuda.  He also served aboard the tug shown pulling Veendam (III) off the berth.

5F650FE0-83CA-47FA-9C30-79148C07A6CE.jpeg

Yes. Thanks, I have good memories of the old V ships. When the Statendam debuted in I believe 1983, Captain Card was onboard the sailing from NY as the ship was making its maiden call on Bermuda. 
Somewhere I have a signed print from him of the ship.

• Like 1

Thank you, cruisemom42, for making me feel better.  But I think that everyone is guessing about the fate of the Amsterdam's art works at this point.  It is hard to know what should remain on a ship and what should be treasured by Holland America.

Attached is the 1938 masterpiece.  I vaguely remember that It had left Holland America, but someone recognized it.  It was purchased and mounted by the entrance to the Crow's Nest.

Barbara

2014 GP-3 (1085).JPG

Edited by bcummin
  • Like 1

When Rotterdam V was sold to Premier Cruises as Rembrandt, most of the art stayed with the ship. That was fortunate, since most of the original artwork is still onboard the Rotterdam hotel-ship now in Rotterdam. I do remember that all of the ship's maiden-visit-port-plaques were auctioned off during the ship's final HAL cruise.

Likewise, with only a couple of rare exceptions, virtually all of the art on the QE2 remained with the ship when it was sold, including all of the Stephen Card painting of the QE2 and other former Cunard liners. Again, fortunately that artwork is now on display on the QE2 hotel-ship in Dubai, or in its shore-side museum/lobby.

Since Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Veendam & Maasdam really didn't have a scheduled "final" HAL revenue cruise, it will be interesting to see where the port plaques and the unique Stephen Card paintings eventually wind up.

Rob

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bcummin said:

Attached is the 1938 masterpiece.  I vaguely remember that It had left Holland America, but someone recognized it.  It was purchased and mounted by the entrance to the Crow's Nest.

Barbara

2014 GP-3 (1085).JPG

Art appreciation is definitely in the “Eyes of the Beholder”, a masterpiece to some gaudy bathroom decorations to others.

Edited by billbunger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, billbunger said:

Art appreciation is definitely in the “Eyes of the Beholder”, a masterpiece to some gaudy bathroom decorations to others.

I think because it’s viewed out of context.  The Nieuw Amsterdam of 1938 was Art Deco - and was the pride of The Netherlands.  The artists and craftsmen that built and decorated her were a source of great pride.

Here’s what these pieces looked like as installed in the Main Deck/A Deck foyer of the Nieuw Amsterdam:

FCB57063-390F-4B07-976D-61C67CE7BD44.jpeg

Edited by ShipsAreTheBest
  • Like 3

Hi, 

I hope that Holland America keeps the Stephen Card paintings and items that have historical significance for the line. Because Holland America reuses ship names, it would be great if the Stephen Card paintings from the current Rotterdam could be installed aboard a future Rotterdam. Also, the artwork pictured above from the Nieuw Amsterdam of 1938 that currently is aboard the Amsterdam could be installed somewhere aboard the current Nieuw Amsterdam or a future ship.

I am a big fan of Stephen Card's paintings and have several of his signed prints on my walls. I always enjoy viewing his paintings aboard the Holland America and Cunard ships. 

Chuck

• Like 2