Princess Cancellations

wowzz

As Princess have cancelled all cruises until December 15th, can it be assumed that the P&O Caribbean winter schedule is also likely to be cancelled as well ?

I can't imagine Britannia and Azura being deployed to the Caribbean in the current circumstances. 

Anyone got any views? 

12 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Heard a rumour locally that P&O are not expecting to sail 'properly' until April... 

Although probably only speculation, it did come from someone connected to Carnival. 

Indias issues won't help. 

Andy 

If you view that as full fleet, 100% occupancy then I agree.

As I mentioned elsewhere, Princess have a large number of ships home ported in the USA and a very diverse international mix of guests. USA still has problems and Costa/Aida/P&O are all likely to start up with single nationalities on board as passengers.

I don’t see either Arcadia or Aurora sailing their planned itineraries in Jan. As for the eastern Caribbean, amazingly low infection rates therefore if the flight logistics can be sorted, I think you might get a Caribbean season even if slightly delayed.

I’m expecting a restart announcement from P&O once Aida has restarted. The U.K. government are watching carefully. I expect that U.K. government won’t change their don’t sail message until much closer to a restart date. That way if anything goes wrong with Aida or Costa, they don’t have to change message again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Aida seems to have cruises to nowhere.  Can't believe there will be much take up for those.

I think they are an experiment to see how the onboard procedures work in practice with passengers aboard.

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Aida seems to have cruises to nowhere.  Can't believe there will be much take up for those.

Not for me, I like to get off at every port regardless of whether or not I have been there before.  If it is somewhere that we have been to several times and done the tours that we wanted to do we will just take a walk around the town.

11 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Not for me, I like to get off at every port regardless of whether or not I have been there before.  If it is somewhere that we have been to several times and done the tours that we wanted to do we will just take a walk around the town.

Agreed, done many tours and now we tend to do our own thing, waiting until the first rush is over then looking around places with easy to walk around places like Lisbon, Bergen, Stavanger & Alesund anywhere else we tend to find a marina view bar or cafe if possible and people watch, don't think we would want to cruise to nowhere, but never say never!

11 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Heard a rumour locally that P&O are not expecting to sail 'properly' until April... 

Although probably only speculation, it did come from someone connected to Carnival. 

Indias issues won't help. 

Andy 

Just been speaking to a friend in Southampton who has a relative who works at Carnival house and they cruise a lot using their staff discount and they are saying very similar time frames.

My friend was looking to try and book J1015 Nov this year which we are on if by any chance it sailed but his relative suggested he didnt bother as it wont be happening.

Official word however would be nice rather than maybe well informed but not concrete information.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I posted this elsewhere, but Spain has had a big spike of virus cases and all Brits that are there on holiday will probably have to quarantine when they get home.  We are nowhere near going abroad yet.

But Spain's spikes are like the UK's Jean - localised, mainly Catalonia and North West Spain.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

Just been speaking to a friend in Southampton who has a relative who works at Carnival house and they cruise a lot using their staff discount and they are saying very similar time frames.

My friend was looking to try and book J1015 Nov this year which we are on if by any chance it sailed but his relative suggested he didnt bother as it wont be happening.

Official word however would be nice rather than maybe well informed but not concrete information.

I see that Carnival Cruises have announced a large raft of cancellations for their fleet following the Princess announcement, so it seems likely that there may be a P&O official word imminently.

8 minutes ago, Britboys said:

But Spain's spikes are like the UK's Jean - localised, mainly Catalonia and North West Spain.

But in holiday areas, unlike ours - not many tourists have Leicester, Blackburn and Luton on their bucket list.😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Err, it's around Barcelona.

It is if you believe the clickbait Jean. 

Aragon region reporting 415 new cases today, more than double that of Catalonia. The spike was never really in Barcelona either, it was 100 miles or so north but Barcelona sounded better for the headline. It was similar to saying the Leicester cases were in London. 

Edited by cruisenewbie1976

25 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Aragon region reporting 415 new cases today, more than double that of Catalonia. The spike was never really in Barcelona either, it was 100 miles or so north but Barcelona sounded better for the headline. It was similar to saying the Leicester cases were in London. 

Spain today!

Aragon 415 cases

Cataluna  182 cases

Madrid 102 cases

Navarra 66 cases

Pais Vasco 61 cases

Andalucia 47 cases

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Not clickbait whatever that is.  It's on Worldometer and also on the BBC homepage that Brits abroad in Spain will probably have to quarantine when they get home.

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Thanks.  2615 cases in Spain today.  A massive uptick on their prevous cases.

You're going to think I'm trying to annoy you but I'm really not. 

Spain has had 971 new cases today. The blurb implies that the remaining 1600 odd are positive antibody tests but that seems a lot. My Spanish doesn't stretch far enough to work out the rest of it. 

I use this website to check uk stats.  It’s not an official one but gets all its data from ONS and just collates it into easily digestible figures/graphics

https://coronavstats.co.uk/media

UK infection rates (primarily English rates)  have risen for the last few days.  Recorded deaths fall but it is acknowledged that this is very much a lagging indicator.

This is not going to end any time soon 😕

I saw this and whatever the numbers, I believe the UK will take Spain off the list of countries we can visit.

Residents in Spain’s Catalonia region, in the north-east of the country, are facing renewed coronavirus restrictions following a spike in infections.

In the capital, Barcelona, people have been asked to stay home for 15 days.

22 hours ago, wowzz said:

As Princess have cancelled all cruises until December 15th, can it be assumed that the P&O Caribbean winter schedule is also likely to be cancelled as well ?

I can't imagine Britannia and Azura being deployed to the Caribbean in the current circumstances. 

Anyone got any views? 

I am booked to sail on Azura in January. I hope that I will be able to, and am keeping my fingers and toes crossed. But realistically, I rate my chances of doing so as being no more than 50/50.

I am doubtful whether the trans Atlantic repositioning cruises will take place in October, at least with passengers. The 5 sea day stretch from Tenerife to the Caribbean would be a nightmare should convid19 occur onboard in mid Atlanic, hundreds of miles from the nearest land and with the possibilty of being refused berthing on arrival. A truncated season starting in December or January may be more likely, possibly with the repositioning voyage taking place without passengers, but I would not like to bet on it at the moment; hopefully the situation will improve before then.

Edited by Denarius

3 hours ago, jake 26 said:

I see that Carnival Cruises have announced a large raft of cancellations for their fleet following the Princess announcement, so it seems likely that there may be a P&O official word imminently.

Rumours on other social media sites about an announcement by the end of the month,  and possibly as early as tomorrow.