Muster Drill

robc1972

I think muster is one of the first things that will change.  It makes no sense to crowd hundreds of people together in such tight quarters. 

And yes, I know, it's a rule, etc.  But lots of rules have changed since this pandemic started.  We just haven't seen them in cruising and may not know the scope of the changes until we board a ship.  

When I first started cruising, you had to wear your life vest to the drill.  Someone finally figured out the tripping hazard from the dangling strings outweighed the benefit of having cruisers practice putting on a life jacket.    So change is possible, and sometimes good.  

• Like 1

Maybe for the drill in the future, the presentation is on your TV in the stateroom instead of at your station somewhere else on the ship. And to make sure you actually go, you could either have some check in feature on the ship's app or the cabin steward has to knock on your door and report you as present. 

I could more likely see them doing check in on the app though. Not only would it be easier but it forces people to download the app, which is exactly what Carnival and every cruise line wants you to do anyway. 

• Like 1

I have thought about this before COVID-19 happened. To me I always thought it would be better to do it before your boarded. The Costa Concordia showed us what happens when you delay holding your muster drill. I know things would be different docked, but what happens if an abandon ship happened during or towards the end the boarding process. Getting everyone off the using the gangway in quick succession isn't going to be possible.  Why not have a video specific to your muster station tied to your booking. I do think this is a good idea, but there also need to be something in place to show that you know where exactly where your muster station is. 

They say they would like to do it for safety and social distancing.

If a real disaster were to occur are they socially distancing when you have to get in a lifeboat? LOL

Leave it the way it is....either way you have to report somewhere...

• Like 1

sounds like a good idea.  How many people actually pay attention when on a muster drill?  If there was a way to prove that you watched it on your TV,  like a short quiz or a digital pic of your muster station.  I've always hated standing out on deck in the heat with a good majority of people already drunk.  When they have it in the dining room or theatre, it is better IMO, but on my stateroom TV or app would be better.

You still have to go to your muster station. I think this is a great improvement. All the passengers get out of a muster drill is 1. Safety information and 2. Seeing where their muster station is. Crowding together on deck in 90 degree heat trying to hear the crew over people talking isn’t necessary. 

I think it would be a great idea.  I have noticed that people tend to at least be quieter when we have an indoor muster station.

When you are outside, it's hard to pay attention when you are nose to armpit with sweaty strangers.

Half joking, my idea for getting people to comply would be activating their sail and sign card when they are checked in at their station.  We use boarding pass for purchases until room is ready anyhow.

9 hours ago, Banditswife said:

sounds like a good idea.  How many people actually pay attention when on a muster drill?  If there was a way to prove that you watched it on your TV,  like a short quiz or a digital pic of your muster station.  I've always hated standing out on deck in the heat with a good majority of people already drunk.  When they have it in the dining room or theatre, it is better IMO, but on my stateroom TV or app would be better.

There have been other threads like this before, and those with experience from the  non-passenger side of this have said that the drill is really for the crew. It is for them to herd the passengers to where they must go. I am sure the crew do pay attention.

13 hours ago, sgttami said:

If a real disaster were to occur

are they socially distancing when you have to get in a lifeboat? LOL

Given the astonishing figures I've seen printed on lifeboat hulls

Social Distancing will be a fond memory once you're safely on board

and lowered into the brine.

We shall all be cheek-by-jowl as they say, and Covid will be laughing!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stellarose said:

it seems like RCCL is willing to share the muster 2.0 with other cruise lines. 

With Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings. It appears those two companies are willing to have a strategic alliance in an effort to shape the rebound of cruising. Carnival Corporation, on the other hand, appears to not have been invited to the party for whatever reasons we may never know.

Edited by xDisconnections

As I said, I am all for a digital type of muster.  I would think the crew had "been there, done that" so many times they do not need the drill.  New passengers on the other hand, do need to know what to do in case of emergency.  I like the idea of watching it on the TV, then a check in point at the actual muster station, so that everyone would know where to go in case of emergency.

I believe it’s a law by a government agency, not the cruise ships? So the ships have no choice unless whatever agency governs it changes it? I could be wrong....

I remember being on Glory and packed in rows on deck 4 (?) and the claustrophobia was maddening. Packing into a dining room is better but certainly no social distancing. 

I just saw it explained on a YouTube video by a cruise travel agent who gives cruise tips.  It looks like a good idea that will work.  You can either do it on a mobile device or on your TV.  You still need to go to the muster station to get checked in by a crew member and answer a few questions.  She said that it was being tested in January on Symphony of the Seas and the passengers liked it.  What seems so nice about it is that you do it on your time--you just have to have it done before sail away.

6 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

With Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings. It appears those two companies are willing to have a strategic alliance in an effort to shape the rebound of cruising. Carnival Corporation, on the other hand, appears to not have been invited to the party for whatever reasons we may never know.

Maybe because Carnival markets to a different demographic??? Or perhaps other cruise lines don’t want to be associated with Carnival, which has a long history of flagrantly disregarding numerous laws. 

1 hour ago, stellarose said:

I'm sure carnival will be allowed to the party of muster 2.0

18 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Maybe because Carnival markets to a different demographic??? Or perhaps other cruise lines don’t want to be associated with Carnival, which has a long history of flagrantly disregarding numerous laws. 

If I were to guess, it would be the latter. Carnival's target demographic is pretty similar to Norwegian's -- including the premium lines via NCLH. Royal Caribbean doesn't necessarily seek a different target audience for some itineraries/ports either.

@stellarose why do you think Carnival would be included in a service offered by a direct competitor? Weeks (days?) ago, RCCL and NCLH announced on social media a new strategic alliance between the two organizations for the rebound of the cruise industry. Carnival doesn't have the best track record in terms of compliance and following regulations. Carnival is a smart company with plenty of resources... what's stopping them from developing their own service?

I like the idea of watching a safety video prior to your cruise or on the cabin TV.  Then making it mandatory to physically walk to your muster station then either have a staff verify you went there by scanning your room key or having a terminal that you can just go up to and swipe your card.  Knowing where your muster station is, in my opinion is crucial in the event of an emergency.