Empress of The Seas

5 hours ago, LXA350 said:

Anyway it is still uncertain how the cruise inustry willl change after COVID and I also wouldn't be suprised if the trend will still see large ships but maybe maximum in sizeof Icon Class.

How much do we know about Icon. Specifically size and shape? Will it follow Oasis with interior open space, or will it be a bigger Quantum?

15 hours ago, CKBob said:

Oceania has three Cruise in July 2021 to ports of St George and Hamilton , Bermuda.  Still pulling for the Empress of the Sea to make it to Bermuda in 2021.  Our 2020 cruise was canceled to Bermuda on Empress.  Took the credit and I'm hoping to use the125% credit.

Sailing into Hamilton & St George is really nice and just walking off the ship to explore beats the hassle of getting there, so, yes, I'm hoping the Empress stays around. Plus while other cruise lines with small ships have St George & Hamilton on their itineraries, I'd prefer to stay with RC and my Diamond perks! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ecslady said:

Sailing into Hamilton & St George is really nice and just walking off the ship to explore beats the hassle of getting there, so, yes, I'm hoping the Empress stays around. Plus while other cruise lines with small ships have St George & Hamilton on their itineraries, I'd prefer to stay with RC and my Diamond perks! 

Yes me too.with the financial strain with RC, I cant see them selling empress and loosing that money going to those ports in Bermuda 

56 minutes ago, ecslady said:

First cruise (back in 1981) was NYC to Bermuda with stops in St. George and Hamilton on the HAL Volendam. 100+ cruise later, and that one is still our favorite cruise.

13 minutes ago, keyboardjunkie said:

I looked on Yachtworld.com but could not find the Empress listed as 'for sale' as of today.  Might that have been an old listing done before her Cuba days (or was my search not thorough enough)?

Does anyone really think that Royal Caribbean has listed the ship for sale on a website like Yachtworld?  Isn't it much more likely that some random ship broker is trying to drum up business for the cost of a cheap online advertisement?

I know that happens with aircraft.

Tom

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

I don't get the logic with Skoda, they are made in the Czech Republic.

They need steel from somewhere, Turkey is close. 😉

Plus, its just funny. 

I mean saying Honda, Hyundai, or Toyota would be boring

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

They need steel from somewhere, Turkey is close. 😉

Plus, its just funny. 

I mean saying Honda, Hyundai, or Toyota would be boring

Since VW took them over the Skoda jokes have disappeared

Like the heated rear window is for keeping your hands warm when you push it. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CruisingFA said:

I think empress stays and majesty goes. Grandeur will go to New Orleans to replace majesty and empress stays on the normal sailings.

The one thing Her Majesty has going for her is sheer passenger capacity. She holds more than any Vision ship, including the stretched Enchantment.  

Grandeur is barely bigger than Empress, but she does have more revenue generating a pace

Edited by John&LaLa

40 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I was just mentioning to Laura how surprised I was that VW bounced back so quick from DieselGate

Forget Dieselgate, there are two VW in the garage that require my constant attention.   We have vowed never again.  Fortunately there are thousands of YouTube videos given the tendency for issues.   

28 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

The one thing Her Majesty has going for her is sheer passenger capacity. She holds more than any Vision ship, including the stretched Enchantment.  

The devil's in the details.  More suites on Vision class.  94 to 63 on MJ.  (Empress has 69)

Balconies on Vision class (136 of them) garner a premium.   With no balcony cabins on Majesty (except suites) that's a con in the comparison as well.  Bigger OV and Interior cabins on Vision class to seal the deal.

The disjointed layout of Majesty has got to mess with newbies.  You can't get there from here, try another deck.  No that tween deck isn't for awkward teenagers.  

While Sovereign class where game changers in their day that led to what cruising is today and while I appreciate their historical significance, their day has passed. 

EDIT - Vision class has a DL and a CL for the slam dunk.

Edited by twangster

7 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

If Royal follows market leader, all three will be gone to reduce costs. 😐

If you focus on revenue per passenger carried, Royal is the market leader.  

While old, these ships are paid for and make money.  It's hard to give up a tool that generates gobs of cash.  If this virus thing stretches out they'll reach a point they'll have to, until them, why discard something that makes money?  

Granted they make more money with mega ships, but these ships don't lose money and there are markets that can't be served with mega ships.  It might never make sense to put new money into a smaller new build to satisfy the same market, but while these ships stay well out of operating in the red, it makes little business sense to get rid of them.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, twangster said:

Forget Dieselgate, there are two VW in the garage that require my constant attention.   We have vowed never again.  Fortunately there are thousands of YouTube videos given the tendency for issues.   

The devil's in the details.  More suites on Vision class.  94 to 63 on MJ.  (Empress has 69)

Balconies on Vision class (136 of them) garner a premium.   With no balcony cabins on Majesty (except suites) that's a con in the comparison as well.  Bigger OV and Interior cabins on Vision class to seal the deal.

The disjointed layout of Majesty has got to mess with newbies.  You can't get there from here, try another deck.  No that tween deck isn't for awkward teenagers.  

While Sovereign class where game changers in their day that led to what cruising is today and while I appreciate their historical significance, their day has passed. 

EDIT - Vision class has a DL and a CL for the slam dunk.

My Q5 is smooth as silk. Never an issue. 

Approaching 50,000 and brakes msy need replacing 

MJ may sppeal to newbies who aren't as jaded as us. Price is king

Edited by John&LaLa

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

True.  It's hard to think like a newb.

When price is king, there are other lines that will capture that crowd.  

No idea what the post Covid future will be like

Personally, I think MJ, NE, and all the Vision class is on life support 

I also don't think Baltimore and Tampa have a viable future, and Royal doesn't need small ship ports of call either.

And the stock could return to $30 in the near term.  😉

But thats just my unsubstantiated opinion

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1