Empress of The Seas

On 8/21/2020 at 10:44 PM, James_TheVirus said:

Maybe even the two Fred Olsen ships, and the CMV ships.  Some/most are in the general area, and are down to very minimal manning. 

It looks like MS Black Watch, one of the Fred Olsen ships, may be scrapped in Rosyth, Scotland.

11 minutes ago, Pratique said:

That's not the Diehl. There's another ship in the background.

That pretty much looks like the ship sailing between the two cruise ships.  The boat in the background is a tug, one of three that were in the harbor that day. 

The AIS information for the Diehl was not being received as she sailed past them, it was several hours old when I captured that frame and that was the end of the track for her that day.

50 minutes ago, twangster said:

That pretty much looks like the ship sailing between the two cruise ships.  The boat in the background is a tug, one of three that were in the harbor that day. 

The AIS information for the Diehl was not being received as she sailed past them, it was several hours old when I captured that frame and that was the end of the track for her that day.

The lifeboat are in the wrong place for it to be the Diehl. Also the stack is different. It looks like a similar class of ship but I don't know which one it is.

19 minutes ago, Pratique said:

The lifeboat are in the wrong place for it to be the Diehl. Also the stack is different. It looks like a similar class of ship but I don't know which one it is.

Regardless, an unknown ship that wasn't picked up by an AIS receiver chose to sail between the two cruise ships despite the much easier and safer way out of port.  

I'm late to this thread, but I moved our July 2020 sailing on Empress to July 2021.  I have to book my new flights to NJ by the end of December in order to use the credits I was given by AA.  Do you think we will know by December if she's not coming back since there are November sailings scheduled?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, twangster said:

Regardless, an unknown ship that wasn't picked up by an AIS receiver chose to sail between the two cruise ships despite the much easier and safer way out of port.  

You don't have to admit that you have no idea what's going on in that pic, but I'm not sure how you get to "easier and safer."

1 minute ago, travelinmoma said:

I'm late to this thread, but I moved our July 2020 sailing on Empress to July 2021.  I have to book my new flights to NJ by the end of December in order to use the credits I was given by AA.  Do you think we will know by December if she's not coming back since there are November sailings scheduled?

Crystal ball question unfortunately.  There is a lot of speculation that we are on the verge of some kind of restart in the 2-3 month timeframe.  If that turns out to be true, once we reach December we'll all have a better idea how this will play out.   If we reach December and there is no verified restart of cruising on the calendar it's possible we'll be exactly where we are right now, guessing.   

I'm booked on Empress in January but haven't booked flights yet.

56 minutes ago, Pratique said:

You don't have to admit that you have no idea what's going on in that pic, but I'm not sure how you get to "easier and safer."

That's why I asked the question in the first place - because I didn't know.  

I apologize for offending you, that was not my intent.  

48 minutes ago, twangster said:

Crystal ball question unfortunately.  There is a lot of speculation that we are on the verge of some kind of restart in the 2-3 month timeframe.  If that turns out to be true, once we reach December we'll all have a better idea how this will play out.   If we reach December and there is no verified restart of cruising on the calendar it's possible we'll be exactly where we are right now, guessing.   

I'm booked on Empress in January but haven't booked flights yet.

I booked my flight for Empress in February.  I have vouchers from a previous flight with Alaska Air and they have a very liberal cancelation policy.  If I have to cancel again they will simply return the credits to my account.  These credits were originally from credit they gave us for taking a later flight back in Dec.  They expired at the end of Dec 2020. I used them for our flight to Hawaii for our cruise on Radiance.  When that got cancelled I cancelled the flights and when they returned them to my account they had a later expiry date.  I then used them for a cruise we had booked on Allure for this December. When I cancelled that cruise I cancelled tteh flight and when the  credit came back it had later expiry date.  So now I have booked my flights for Empress in Feb.  If for some reason that one doesn't go I'm expecting the credit to come back with a later expiry date.  I love Alaska Airlines and will fly them even if their price on a particular route is a little higher.  They are just the easiest airline I have ever dealt with.  

4 hours ago, twangster said:

That's why I asked the question in the first place - because I didn't know.  

I apologize for offending you, that was not my intent.  

I'm not offended. Usually you are very attentive to detail so I thought maybe you knew something about that photo. But it's not the Diehl and you doubled down on the safety of the naval movement. If you don't know then that makes two of us. It's a curious image but it seems OK to me. There's about 1nm between the ships at anchor. The perspective of the photo makes it seem less.

On 9/2/2020 at 10:31 PM, Merion_Mom said:

The topic here is healthcare.

Your paragraph has nothing to do with that.

Obviously you have never been to, much less, lived in Germany. Or married into a German family. Or worked with a spouse who worked in the German health care industry.

In other words, you are talking out the side of your mouth with no real knowledge of what you say and just prefer to bully others. Now that the facts are clear you can carry on.

3 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

Obviously you have never been to, much less, lived in Germany. Or married into a German family. Or worked with a spouse who worked in the German health care industry.

In other words, you are talking out the side of your mouth with no real knowledge of what you say and just prefer to bully others. Now that the facts are clear you can carry on.

What does this have to do with the Empress of the Seas?  I don’t think this is the forum   to discuss this topic 

• Like 1