Empress of The Seas

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

Agreed.  Tick, Tock... waiting to buy in some more.  

Hopefully I made enough on last sale to double my position if I get back in. 😉

Edited by John&LaLa

32 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Do you get more OBC with more shares? If so how much does it top at?

I don't think so.  

If we do get a second block of 100, I'll put it in Laura's name since we do take a fair share of solo's😉

You do get extra for longer cruises like TA's

Edited by John&LaLa

12 hours ago, twangster said:

Forget Dieselgate, there are two VW in the garage that require my constant attention.   We have vowed never again.  Fortunately there are thousands of YouTube videos given the tendency for issues.   

I guess I should forget about buying that slick-looking, slightly used VW CC sedan I had my eye on.

The VW CC, which is about as well known here as a Skoda. 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

I guess I should forget about buying that slick-looking, slightly used VW CC sedan I had my eye on.

The VW CC, which is about as well known here as a Skoda. 😀

Heck, I remember the Phaeton

• Haha 1

Empress of the Seas
Cruise ship

Images

Description

Description

Empress of the Seas is a cruise ship operated by Royal Caribbean International. She is the sole ship of her class and the oldest vessel in the Royal Caribbean fleet. Wikipedia
Launched: August 25, 1989
Length: 692′
Capacity: 1,840
Yard number: G29
Crew: 668
Speed: 19.5 knots (36.1 km/h; 22.4 mph)

18 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

The one thing Her Majesty has going for her is sheer passenger capacity. She holds more than any Vision ship, including the stretched Enchantment.  

Grandeur is barely bigger than Empress, but she does have more revenue generating a pace

Can grandeur or majesty get into some of the ports empress has scheduled though? 

Im hoping I’m wrong and all 3 stay. Haven’t gotten a chance to do empress yet so would like her to be around 

Empress is the only one of these that can fit into St George, Bermuda.  Fun fact The former Celebrity Horizon and Zenith were built to the maximum size to fit into St George.  Sorry to see them go soon to the breakers.

1 hour ago, CruisingFA said:

Can grandeur or majesty get into some of the ports empress has scheduled though? 

Im hoping I’m wrong and all 3 stay. Haven’t gotten a chance to do empress yet so would like her to be around 

No idea, but MJ got into Cuba

On 7/30/2020 at 8:21 AM, SOUNDSGOOD! said:

I REALLY hope this isnt true!    i am booked on her in January...........

We are booked on her in February. Let’s say it is true, would they just cancel the cruises or try to rearrange their ships to cover our itinerary?

10 minutes ago, riviera said:

We are booked on her in February. Let’s say it is true, would they just cancel the cruises or try to rearrange their ships to cover our itinerary?

The remaining ships have their own itineraries. I think RCI might offer you a deal on an existing itinerary on another ship, but I wouldn't expect them to alter other ship itineraries to cover Empress’s.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BeachDiva101 said:

This thread started July 30th and now it is a month later and we still don’t know the Empresses fate.  Is she sold? Is she gonna be scrapped?  Is she gonna sail next year?  I know RC continues to deny she is sold.  

RCI stil shows bookings for June 2021. Canada & New England 7 days and Bahamas

49 minutes ago, BeachDiva101 said:

This thread started July 30th and now it is a month later and we still don’t know the Empresses fate.  Is she sold? Is she gonna be scrapped?  Is she gonna sail next year?  I know RC continues to deny she is sold.  

No one here knows.  

The fact that she is still in layup is encouraging.  I'd imagine if they had decided to scrap her they would get on with it rather than paying the ongoing operational costs to keep her at anchor in Souda.  On the other hand maybe the supposed buyer got cold feet or couldn't get their financing together, yet.  We just don't know.

10 minutes ago, twangster said:

No one here knows.  

The fact that she is still in layup is encouraging.  I'd imagine if they had decided to scrap her they would get on with it rather than paying the ongoing operational costs to keep her at anchor in Souda.  On the other hand maybe the supposed buyer got cold feet or couldn't get their financing together, yet.  We just don't know.

Maybe Aliaga is full, and Empress has to wait for an opening to be scrapped. 

Edited by NancyIL
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Heymarco said:

You can still book cruises on Monarch and Sovereign even though they are in pieces. Unfortunately doesn’t mean much in current times.

Exactly -- the point I was trying to make is that for a cruise that begins in November of 2020 and beyond on another continent, there's got to be a lot of scrambling going on to make it happen -- even if true that Empress is not sold or going to the graveyard in Turkey, it's going to be a logistical nightmare, and if true, an even greater nightmare.  

They should remove the Monarch and Sovereign sailings from Pullmantur's website and do the same for some sailings that for sure are not going to take place off of RCI's site.  In an era where everything is on the internet for the whole world to see, leaving those sailings as bookable is very opaque, irresponsible and contrary to any goodwill they have left.  My two cents. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

In an era where everything is on the internet for the whole world to see, leaving those sailings as bookable is very opaque, irresponsible and contrary to any goodwill they have left.  My two cents. 

They may lose a few guests who may have left anyways but assuming or hoping life is a lot closer to normal in 2022 and better beyond most will forgive them and quickly forget.

Contrast that with things like my state government who shut down emission testing facilities but charged me $75 for being late renewing my tags because I couldn't renew them without an emission test.  Royal gets a pass, my governor not so much.  There are many examples of airlines and other companies that let me down during this experience. 

Considering all of that, Royal has been one of the better experiences even if it wasn't all roses and puppies.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Exactly -- the point I was trying to make is that for a cruise that begins in November of 2020 and beyond on another continent, there's got to be a lot of scrambling going on to make it happen -- even if true that Empress is not sold or going to the graveyard in Turkey, it's going to be a logistical nightmare, and if true, an even greater nightmare.  

Maybe they should also remove the Explorer and Jewel which are also in Europe.

40 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

So Royal is better than your local government? Why are you setting the bar so low? Royal is for profit don’t forget. 

Royal is better than Amazon whose 2 day Prime delivery service turned into 8 days and who sold me illegal Mexican hand sanitizer but refuses to refund it.  Royal is better than Comcast who is charging overage charges so my wife, an educator, can teach class from home using video all day long (school districts don't pay for teacher's internet at home).  Royal is better than American Airlines who gouged me a 250% premium to fly home from Europe during the pandemic despite getting billions in bailout money that comes out my taxes. Royal is better than Airbnb who screwed me outright as a result of the pandemic.  

There is no shortage of companies that are getting customer service wrong.  Granted it took patience dealing with Royal, but at the end of the day I am whole with Royal and as a result I am booking more cruises with them including another Empress cruise today.  I am not whole with any of the other above companies and several more.

I have no idea if today's bookings will sail or if the ship will be in fleet at that time but I have much greater confidence that Royal will take of care of me eventually should for whatever reason I don't sail on that date.  Former Platinum with American Airlines who will not book that airline again.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 2