The Daily for Thursday Jul 30, 2020

richwmn

28 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I finally can compete with Roy!  I am not an early riser, but I found one sunrise picture, from an early morning flight to Seattle.

IMG_3339.thumb.jpeg.6400ba8c7193cf56fbc4ff7693e74af0.jpeg

This deserves a frame.  Or a “canvass on demand”. Wow!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I finally can compete with Roy!  I am not an early riser, but I found one sunrise picture, from an early morning flight to Seattle.

What a lovely shot! 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!   FINALLY, I can get into CC - I tried 3 different browsers, and they all wanted me to log in (I never log out), then got the message my user name or password were incorrect.  It seems I wasn't the only one - spoke with @kazu who was also experiencing the same issues.

DH loves cheesecake, we both loved our father-in-laws, and I am eternally grateful for cruising, because through it, we've been able to make some of the most amazing friendships.  It's a win-win today!  Although, about the meal suggestion . . . yeah, we're in the middle of a heat wave here on the "frozen tundra", so I'm guessing we'll be having a chicken Caesar salad and crusty bread for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers to everyone who is struggling today, with best wishes for brighter days ahead.  Be safe, stay well!

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I couldn't get in at all [under my name]  'Log in' did absolutely nothing. I tried the 2 browsers I have CC on and the same result. And now I'm here! 😄

• Like 4

Ooh! Cheesecake Day, I have an individual one in the fridge. Shhhh don't tell the others in the house know that I'm going to down that sucker. 😄  Dinner will be hamburgers, I think tonight. I bought a nice Greek salad, but DH doesn't like all the veggies in that. Have I mentioned how HARD it is to cook for the man? As to the quote....ALWAYS! I'm so fortunate to be a part of this International Friendship group. ❤️ 

More beautiful flowers and sunrise/set pictures today. Thanks to all.

I was sad that I never got to sail on the Rotterdam. When I eventually get to sail on the now-named Rotterdam, I will feel at home, since I've sailed Koningsdam twice and Nieuw Statendam once.

Prayers for all who need them. Thanks again to Rich for the daily post! Stay safe. Be kind.

• Like 6

Thank you for the daily Rich.

I like cheesecake once in a while, not a big sweets fan.  FIL day, sadly both our fathers have passed but I was blessed to know my FIL for quite some time, wonderful man and even went on his first and cruise, a 4 day Alaskan cruise following a land tour with the hubby in 2000 on the Volendam.  Isn't that the true about the quote!  LIke a needle in a haystack.  Veggie curry doesn't appeal, thinking of fried rice tonight with some leftovers thrown in since I made a lot of rice the other day.

Roy, that photo of the Saguenay and St Lawrence Rivers is spectacular!  Brings back so many memories.  I was able to sail that itinerary twice and even have two wine glasses that I call my Saguenay glasses that we got on when we were on a 10 day Rotterdam cruise, we were the first ship to dock at the new port and they held a huge celebration.  Special memories.

Ann, what an unusual photo of Seattle!  Sort of spooky but beautiful.

Have a great day everyone!  Stay safe, wear a mask and carry on!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Denise, were you finally able to see the picture I posted of the fawn? It is so cute, I hope you can open it. 

I can't seem to open your pictures either, not sure why.  I've been meaning to ask my hubby, he knows so much more than me about that tech stuff. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I can't seem to open your pictures either, not sure why.  I've been meaning to ask my hubby, he knows so much more than me about that tech stuff. 

Neither could I.  I see most photos but occasionally see one that is blank with a minus sign in a circle.  I don't know what that means.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Neither could I.  I see most photos but occasionally see one that is blank with a minus sign in a circle.  I don't know what that means.

Exactly what I see, a minus sign in a circle in a large frame.  Comes up on a separate page too.  Not sure why.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Exactly what I see, a minus sign in a circle in a large frame.  Comes up on a separate page too.  Not sure why.

I thought it was just me!! My David could not get it to work at all!

Do I imagine a cute little BAMBIE!!!🤗

Denise😊

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

I thought it was just me!! My David could not get it to work at all!

Do I imagine a cute little BAMBIE!!!🤗

Denise😊

CUTE Bambie?  Cute but destructive.

DH put a planter outside the fence - it was in full, beautiful bloom.  A big beautiful sunpatiens.  He promised to move it back in every night (yeah, right)

This is what it is left

3B43851A-7114-46A1-8439-790E0338CA59.thumb.jpeg.1c16716ebea8076f2d9ad05f9ab218bf.jpeg

I made the mistake of planting roses in my retaining wall and my driveway planter.  I thought since they were prickly they’d be safe.  My roses were about to open and look:

E486F71E-11E2-4A53-8A5E-38169C3FFC7C.thumb.jpeg.9a1abac08445c916e02b29be7e5258e5.jpeg

I stupidly thought my little cover would protect it.  Hasn’t protected anything 😞 

I’m going to try to figure out some way to protect them but you can take all those dam deer and shove them as far as I am concerned.  We are overridden with them and they eat anything under the sun.  Sorry, but I’m depressed with these dam deer.

I don’t need their Lyme disease on my lawn and I don’t need them eating my plants.  How much fencing does one person have to buy for crying out loud????

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, kazu said:

CUTE Bambie?  Cute but destructive.

DH put a planter outside the fence - it was in full, beautiful bloom.  A big beautiful sunpatiens.  He promised to move it back in every night (yeah, right)

This is what it is left

3B43851A-7114-46A1-8439-790E0338CA59.thumb.jpeg.1c16716ebea8076f2d9ad05f9ab218bf.jpeg

I made the mistake of planting roses in my retaining wall and my driveway planter.  I thought since they were prickly they’d be safe.  My roses were about to open and look:

E486F71E-11E2-4A53-8A5E-38169C3FFC7C.thumb.jpeg.9a1abac08445c916e02b29be7e5258e5.jpeg

I stupidly thought my little cover would protect it.  Hasn’t protected anything 😞 

I’m going to try to figure out some way to protect them but you can take all those dam deer and shove them as far as I am concerned.  We are overridden with them and they eat anything under the sun.  Sorry, but I’m depressed with these dam deer.

I don’t need their Lyme disease on my lawn and I don’t need them eating my plants.  How much fencing does one person have to buy for crying out loud????

Oh Jacqui! 😞Sorry! I can understand where you are coming from. I just said that because when Joy sent me the pic she said how cute! I was imagining BAMBIE 😞.

Your photos are proof of how they can take your beautiful place and make your oasis to a barren field.

Denise😊

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Oh Jacqui! 😞Sorry! I can understand where you are coming from. I just said that because when Joy sent me the pic she said how cute! I was imagining BAMBIE 😞.

Your photos are proof of how they can take your beautiful place and make your oasis to a barren field.

Denise😊

The green fence you sometimes see Denise is the fencing out front.  It was specially made and pricey.  It fits all around my front porch planters.  It gets taken down every winter and put up every spring.

My back yard is completely fenced.  Not for the dogs - they are on invisible fencing but to keep out the dam deer.  That was a ton of money many years ago to do it right and I had to go to the town PAC to get permission for a 6 foot fence (and to all my neighbours to sign to show they didn’t object).  At the time the limit was 5’ and 5’ don’t keep deer out.  Since then because of the impact and the number of requests, the town has increased the fence limit to 6’ so that tells you something.

My retaining wall, gardens in the front yard, driveway gardens, etc. Are subject to deer.  It’s a real challenge and I’m sorry if I don’t sound appreciative of their beauty.  I chase them off my lawn on a regular basis.

They are not welcome here and if a deer does happen to jump the fence I let the dogs out and believe me, they jump out pretty darn fast 😉.   

I am an animal lover but deer belong in the woods and not eating food that does not give them nutrition.  (Flowers are like dessert - so too many and they are not getting the nutrition they need).

Here -   They pose a serious health threat as they can carry Lyme disease ticks so one needs to be careful and the dogs get special pricey pills that protect them.  Nothing for humans so I need to check if I am out front to make sure there’s nothing there..

sorry for the long post. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

What a cool picture.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

The green fence you sometimes see Denise is the fencing out front.  It was specially made and pricey.  It fits all around my front porch planters.  It gets taken down every winter and put up every spring.

My back yard is completely fenced.  Not for the dogs - they are on invisible fencing but to keep out the dam deer.  That was a ton of money many years ago to do it right and I had to go to the town PAC to get permission for a 6 foot fence (and to all my neighbours to sign to show they didn’t object).  At the time the limit was 5’ and 5’ don’t keep deer out.  Since then because of the impact and the number of requests, the town has increased the fence limit to 6’ so that tells you something.

My retaining wall, gardens in the front yard, driveway gardens, etc. Are subject to deer.  It’s a real challenge and I’m sorry if I don’t sound appreciative of their beauty.  I chase them off my lawn on a regular basis.

They are not welcome here and if a deer does happen to jump the fence I let the dogs out and believe me, they jump out pretty darn fast 😉.   

I am an animal lover but deer belong in the woods and not eating food that does not give them nutrition.  (Flowers are like dessert - so too many and they are not getting the nutrition they need). 

sorry for the long post. 

Thanks Jacqui I understand your frustration and time and money spent. 
Denise😊

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

Jacqui, there is a product called Bobbex Deer Repellent. I mix it with water & spray my plants. 

The deer hate the smell of it - at least my local deer do. If I am faithful about spraying every couple of weeks - more often, if it rains a lot - the deer steer clear.   Not sure if it would help you, but wanted to mention it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Jacqui, there is a product called Bobbex Deer Repellent. I mix it with water & spray my plants. 

The deer hate the smell of it - at least my local deer do. If I am faithful about spraying every couple of weeks - more often, if it rains a lot - the deer steer clear.   Not sure if it would help you, but wanted to mention it.

Thanks, we’ve tried it.  And I appreciate the mention.  It seemed to work for a while and then not sure what happened but the deer found a way around it.  They are persistent here.

I’ve tried everything under the sun from dog hair to Irish spring to moth balls, to Bobbex and other deer repellants.  I might give it a re-try.  Maybe they have forgotten the work around now?  

I appreciate the reminder and will retry it again.  Thanks again 🙂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks, we’ve tried it.  And I appreciate the mention.  It seemed to work for a while and then not sure what happened but the deer found a way around it.  They are persistent here.

I’ve tried everything under the sun from dog hair to Irish spring to moth balls, to Bobbex and other deer repellants.  I might give it a re-try.  Maybe they have forgotten the work around now?  

I appreciate the reminder and will retry it again.  Thanks again 🙂 

I could “hear” the frustration in your post.

I have to spray my Meyer lemon tree faithfully, or else all the leaves are eaten. And this tree has thorns, too! For some reason the Bobbex smell seems to fade faster on it. Perhaps because it gets full sun and is not sheltered in anyway. Or maybe because it is a citrus tree.  

Good luck.  BTW, I love your colorful plant holder!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 2