Covid infected crew on ship in Norway that had passengers

3 minutes ago, MADflyer said:

What I am reading has a little more of a positive twist on the situation. 

They state all passengers had to register mobile numbers and that text went out to all passengers from the 17th and 24th of July sailings. 

Seems contact tracing has worked very well for Norway and 69 community health offices around country have been activated. 

Then you have the very latest news 🙂  i'm not going to argue with that 🙂 

I also read now that the FHI advice never reached the appropriate decision makers. Of course a lot of speculation and all I can do is to get my information from the newspapers. To me it seems that if the protocols and routine had worked as they were supposed to, this would have looked better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NuisanceLuke said:

.  I know a couple of fellow cruisers who generally cruise out of Charleston who told me that if masks were required when cruising started back that they would wear them through the embarkation process, and then (in their words) "Carnival would 'play hell' getting them to ever put them on again after that."  With attitudes like that, I don't see me ever being able or feeling comfortable enough to take another cruise any time soon.

Play hell would wind up with them locked in their room for the entirety of the cruise. It would serve them right too.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, tsundet said:

Ship let passengers off, due to a chain of bad judgement (my opinion); eg. failure to comply with advice from our 'cdc'. Nevertheless the general concent in Norway is of critisism towards how Hurtigruten has handled this. With proper protocols and commitment to follow these, the situation might have been under control.

In hindsight and all that..... 🙂

The passenger controls could be improved on but what of the 33 infected crew? Was there some failing in the controls there or just a case of the virus being better than the controls?

3 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Not completely accurate. 

You’re right. But it’s close to accurate. one can now travel between several european countries. Even quarantine free. But there are some exceptions.

4 hours ago, NuisanceLuke said:

I know a couple of fellow cruisers who generally cruise out of Charleston who told me that if masks were required when cruising started back that they would wear them through the embarkation process, and then (in their words) "Carnival would 'play hell' getting them to ever put them on again after that."  With attitudes like that, I don't see me ever being able or feeling comfortable enough to take another cruise any time soon.

Sounds like these two on a Delta flight 🙄

"Details are emerging over why a Delta Air Lines flight to Atlanta was turned around and returned to Detroit on Thursday, and once again face masks are the issue.

According to reports, two passengers refused to wear face masks during the flight – a mandate for virtually every airline – and the plane returned to Detroit Metro Airport in suburban Romulus.

A Delta spokesperson told the MLive.com media outlet that the flight was delayed because the passengers “were non-compliant with crew instructions.” The flight did take off again and land in Atlanta after being delayed by the return to Detroit.

It is just the latest in a series of issues involving refusal to wear face masks during flight.

It happened to American Airlines earlier this week when a woman was booted off a plane, and it happened on Spirit Airlines earlier this month".

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/airlines/delta-turns-flight-around-after-multiple-passengers-refuse-to-wear-masks.html

• Thanks 1

Airlines need to make passengers sign a mask wearing agreement which provides a fine for removing the mask during flight. These "freedom" idiots need to keep their aces off flights if they don't want to wear a damn mask. What a huge inconvenience and risk for fellow passengers and a big unnecessary cost to airlines. Can't anyone just cooperate? What happened to treat others the way you want to be treated? What happened to loving thy neighbor? The US will never curb the spread of Covid since it's citizens can't be bothered with wearing a mask and staying out of bars & clubs.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Billy Baltic said:

The passenger controls could be improved on but what of the 33 infected crew? Was there some failing in the controls there or just a case of the virus being better than the controls?

I wonder if the crew case breakdown points to any leads (such as international flights, housing, etc.)?

"32 of the 34 confirmed cases are from the Philippines. The three others are Norwegian, French and German nationalities".

https://www.mynewsdesk.com/no/hurtigruten/pressreleases/33-hurtigruten-crew-members-tested-positive-for-covid-19-3024215

Hopefully they will be able to find some factors leading to the outbreak. I have faith they will find patient zero on this sailing (fingers crossed).

2 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

As much as I hate to see these covid problems pop up, they will help clarify further changes/protocols needed to move forward.

Like what?  Wear a hazmat suit?

• Like 1

I'm thinking there might be some tests more accurate/sensitive than others, there might be crew members who cheated during their pre-boarding quarantine. If by comparison Mein Schiff II turns out to have been totally successful, assuming they do follow-up with passengers who got off their short cruise, protocols could be shared. 

I don't expect one giant step toward perfection, but rather steps toward that goal as more is learned and shared. I believe we have good minds working on this.

39 minutes ago, Etta1213 said:

I'm thinking there might be some tests more accurate/sensitive than others, there might be crew members who cheated during their pre-boarding quarantine. If by comparison Mein Schiff II turns out to have been totally successful, assuming they do follow-up with passengers who got off their short cruise, protocols could be shared. 

I don't expect one giant step toward perfection, but rather steps toward that goal as more is learned and shared. I believe we have good minds working on this.

I simply don't think there will be many test runs to try to figure it out.  IMO, cruising will not even attempt to do trial runs in the US until we have a vaccine or effective treatments that prevent people from reaching a critical stage.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mek said:

I simply don't think there will be many test runs to try to figure it out.  IMO, cruising will not even attempt to do trial runs in the US until we have a vaccine or effective treatments that prevent people from reaching a critical stage.  

I hope we get there! For me, there's nothing that really compares to cruising. 

• Like 1

1) Fly in hundreds of crew from all over the world.

2) Assign them to crew quarters, minimum two people in very cramped cabin accommodation, including shared bathroom facilities.

3) Send them off to their designated roles including food preparation for thousands of guests, entertainment and other customer service face to face roles.

Surely the weakest link above is (2), which subject doesn't seem to get much discussion. Possibly because it would be hugely time consuming and expensive and to fix !

12 minutes ago, IDB37 said:

Surely the weakest link above is (2), which subject doesn't seem to get much discussion. Possibly because it would be hugely time consuming and expensive and to fix !

With the early sailings at 50% or less capacity, the lines could use customer cabins for crew to space them out - on the smaller expedition ships, that may not be so easy. On bigger ships, it is.

I have not been against the idea of Covid, but I have been against the procedures in place. The longer this goes the more negative I get of it. I have a friend that personally knows 7 people that have died from it. Another friend's parents both have it right now. Generally healthy people in their 30s and 40s are dying from it, but a 90 year old Stage IV Lung Cancer patient just finishing chemo and radiation  goes into ICU for 6-weeks and is fine.

The longer it goes on, the more money certain people are making around the world. I am starting to believe more in the conspiracy theories and that this was a manufactured disease to see how the world can be controlled.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, saintgeorge said:

Is Royal Caribbean planning to bring back all these crew members for the sailings from UK this October ?

All the lines will get their crew from the usual places - just like the ship in this thread. The issue is not staff source location, but process to ensure they are and continue to be safe.

1 hour ago, bigrednole said:

The longer it goes on, the more money certain people are making around the world. I am starting to believe more in the conspiracy theories and that this was a manufactured disease to see how the world can be controlled.

Maybe this is a one for a specific thread of its own .... so the adults can talk in peace. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bigrednole said:

I have not been against the idea of Covid, but I have been against the procedures in place. The longer this goes the more negative I get of it. I have a friend that personally knows 7 people that have died from it. Another friend's parents both have it right now. Generally healthy people in their 30s and 40s are dying from it, but a 90 year old Stage IV Lung Cancer patient just finishing chemo and radiation  goes into ICU for 6-weeks and is fine.

Anyone who dies from Covid19 in their 30s and 40s who is "healthy" is a complete statistical outlier - do some research before you say outlandish things.

You need to get outside and get some fresh air.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saintgeorge said:

Anthem of the Seas has recently repatriated crew to India - India has now the 3rd highest infection rate of this

virus - Is Royal Caribbean planning to bring back all these crew members for the sailings from UK this October ??

No because there won't be cruises in October.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Lol 

• Like 2