Covid infected crew on ship in Norway that had passengers

59 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

No because there won't be cruises in October.  

Our final payment is due this week for our cruise on Anthem in October - if you know for certain that this will not go ahead I would love to know where you get your information from as it is still for sale in the UK at least

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, saintgeorge said:

Our final payment is due this week for our cruise on Anthem in October - if you know for certain that this will not go ahead I would love to know where you get your information from as it is still for sale in the UK at least

They're still selling because Royal really needs the money. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2020 at 6:28 PM, TravelerThom said:

Well according to the article YOU provided a link to (you did read it, right?):

There was no reason to suspect COVID-19 when the ship docked in Tromsø based on the symptoms the four of the crew had,” said Hurtigruten communications manager Rune Thomas Ege in a prepared statement the company issued.

Every symptom should be considered. We still don't know how this virus can change.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, saintgeorge said:

I would love to know where you get your information from as it is still for sale in the UK at least

Having a sailing available for booking in no way indicates it will actually sail. RCI is known for selling cruises which everyone else knows won't sail as originally planned - happens all the time with charters. With COVID19, most folks are making educated guesses.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

With COVID19, most folks are making educated guesses.

That's debatable with people on here that keep insisting they must get on a ship tomorrow no matter what.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, saintgeorge said:

Just use common sense - only 2 months away and they can't even get a very small ship to sail successfully w/o an incident.  In your wildest dreams what makes you think a large cruise ship could be ready to sail in October?

Edited by mek
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

That's debatable with people on here that keep insisting they must get on a ship tomorrow no matter what.

Well, then, they must make arrangements and go some place where cruising has restarted.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Well, then, they must make arrangements and go some place where cruising has restarted.

I for one am not looking at cruises anymore, with the unknown when or how cruises will be it's not worth getting your hopes up, only to be dashed again and again.

There has to be a time when it's not worth looking at future cruises that may not be like they were in the past. Future cruising may not be to our liking.

Time to move on to different kinds of vacations. The Time has Come!

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 8

52 minutes ago, saintgeorge said:

Common sense my friend.  Gets you ahead in life 

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

it's not worth getting your hopes up, only to be dashed again and again.

Hence my recommendation since about April to take the refund anytime possible and not to book any sailing outside of final payment and well after cruising has resumed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Hence my recommendation since about April to take the refund anytime possible and not to book any sailing outside of final payment and well after cruising has resumed.

If no new bookings, the money will run out and that will be the end of the cruiselines. They need new bookings to continue.

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

If no new bookings, the money will run out and that will be the end of the cruiselines.

No, they'll just rip off the band aid faster on the way to bankruptcy, but cruising will resume.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As a consumer, you should put yourself first. 

Which means a refund, not a FCC. No future bookings for an unknown product.

If people want to "float a loan" to a cruise line, go head, but do not complain when the cruise is cancelled or you have difficulty using your FCC in the future.

Cruise lines are operating in an irresponsible manner by selling cruises given the world context.

But then there is the old saying "there is a sucker born every minute".

• Like 4

8 hours ago, IDB37 said:

1) Fly in hundreds of crew from all over the world.

2) Assign them to crew quarters, minimum two people in very cramped cabin accommodation, including shared bathroom facilities.

3) Send them off to their designated roles including food preparation for thousands of guests, entertainment and other customer service face to face roles.

Much of what I have seen and read has focused on passenger controls and enhancements.  I have seen little information on what efforts are being taken to protect and ensure crews are healthy.

So much is made of masks as they are a magic fix.  A mask is a pain in the a.. but not a big deal and it seems more like a control thing than a fix to the virus.

It is sad that the first efforts of cruise lines to return to service has basically crashed and burned.  I hope that cruise lines work in concert to see what happened and find the weak links.  The forensics of these events can go a long way to assist the lines to "figure this out".

Royal continuing to say we are starting in October is nothing more than self assuring hubris.  

It remains to be seen if we are watching a slow death march or a slow emergence of a Phoenix rising.

50 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Common sense my friend.  Gets you ahead in life 

I know perfectly what will happen having had 3 cruises already cancelled this year with 2 more pending I do not intend another cruise company to have more of my hard earned money. I know that Royal Caribbean will wait until AFTER final payment date. I am just hoping that a decision is made immediately as I do NOT want to go !!! If I cancel now I will lose my deposit or it will be a FCC - something else I do not want. I am just waiting for them to do the right thing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, saintgeorge said:

I know perfectly what will happen having had 3 cruises already cancelled this year with 2 more pending I do not intend another cruise company to have more of my hard earned money. I know that Royal Caribbean will wait until AFTER final payment date. I am just hoping that a decision is made immediately as I do NOT want to go !!! If I cancel now I will lose my deposit or it will be a FCC - something else I do not want. I am just waiting for them to do the right thing.

It may take 90 days or longer but you will be getting your deposit back. As far as waiting for Royal to do the right thing, I wouldn't hold my breath. CCL brands have been more aggressive canceling and pausing cruises knowing that there is no way they would be sailing.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Generally healthy people in their 30s and 40s are dying from it,

TheMastodon: Anyone who dies from Covid19 in their 30s and 40s who is "healthy" is a complete statistical outlier - do some research before you say outlandish things.

I think you misread... they didn't say "generally, healthy people" are dying... they said "generally healthy people". It's true that previously healthy young people are dying. They didn't claim it was the norm for that age group.

Edited by twins_to_alaska
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, tsundet said:

You’re right. But it’s close to accurate. one can now travel between several european countries. Even quarantine free. But there are some exceptions.

Only Norwegians were allowed to travel on that trip from Tromso. 

There was no reason to suspect COVID-19 when the ship docked in Tromsø based on the symptoms the four of the crew had,” said Hurtigruten communications manager Rune Thomas Ege in a prepared statement the company issued.

One wonders what symptoms they had... and what they consider required to suspect Covid. The CDC list has gotten quite long... perhaps as they were still breathing ok couldn't be Covid? They had quarantined the crew and they got hospital treatment soon after docking.

• Fever or chills
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • Fatigue
  • Muscle or body aches
  • Headache
  • New loss of taste or smell
  • Sore throat
  • Congestion or runny nose
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Diarrhea
Edited by twins_to_alaska
  • Like 1

QUOTE: "The mayor of Tromsø Gunnar Wilhelmsen was highly critical of Hurtigruten for letting hundreds of passengers leave the ship before the extent of the outbreak was known.

The cruise line has still not been able to reach a small number of passengers, which risks further spreading of any potential infection. Wilhelmsen told local newspaper Nordlys that he now fears an outbreak in the city.

At a press conference, Norway’s minister of Health and Care Services Bent Høie said how important it is that passengers now comply with the mandatory 10-day quarantine. 

Hurtigruten rolled the dice by electing to return to the waters sooner than many other cruise companies. While Norway must now manage a potential public health crisis, the cruise line faces a PR disaster just weeks after announcing a series of new cruise routes in Europe for 2021."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidnikel/2020/08/02/coronavirus-outbreak-on-norway-cruise-ship-36-test-positive/#46b6695d7c06

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, twins_to_alaska said:

TheMastodon: Anyone who dies from Covid19 in their 30s and 40s who is "healthy" is a complete statistical outlier - do some research before you say outlandish things.

I think you misread... they didn't say "generally, healthy people" are dying... they said "generally healthy people". It's true that previously healthy young people are dying. They didn't claim it was the norm for that age group.

Commas save lives.

Let's eat, Grandma! 😀

Let's eat Grandma! 😳

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

It may take 90 days or longer but you will be getting your deposit back. As far as waiting for Royal to do the right thing, I wouldn't hold my breath. CCL brands have been more aggressive canceling and pausing cruises knowing that there is no way they would be sailing.  

Thank you for your input but my understanding is that the Terms and Conditions in the US are different to those in the UK. If we cancel rather than RC we will not be able to get a refund on the deposit. We are still awaiting a refund on the Dining Package which was cancelled 28 May (65 days and counting)