Covid infected crew on ship in Norway that had passengers

7 minutes ago, saintgeorge said:

Thank you for your input but my understanding is that the Terms and Conditions in the US are different to those in the UK. If we cancel rather than RC we will not be able to get a refund on the deposit. We are still awaiting a refund on the Dining Package which was cancelled 28 May (65 days and counting)

You are correct. Even if you cancel in the US before the cruise line does you would be issued a cruise credit for your deposit if you didn't book a refundable deposit.  The cruise line will eventually cancel your cruise especially given what has occurred on this Norway cruise.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

QUOTE: "The mayor of Tromsø Gunnar Wilhelmsen was highly critical of Hurtigruten for letting hundreds of passengers leave the ship before the extent of the outbreak was known.

An outbreak on a cruise ship is bad. If there’s an outbreak in a port city because of cruise passengers?? Then just pull the plug on the whole industry. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen. Both because we all want to cruise again and because it would suck for the people in that port city. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zekekelso said:

An outbreak on a cruise ship is bad. If there’s an outbreak in a port city because of cruise passengers?? Then just pull the plug on the whole industry. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen. Both because we all want to cruise again and because it would suck for the people in that port city. 

Yes we all want to get back to cruising soon and publicity like this does not help.  It furthers the problem of ports closing to cruise ships for longer periods of time.  Some of these cruises in Europe are cruises to nowhere or technical stops where the passengers don't disembark.  Unfortunately, US maritime laws do not allow cruises to nowhere, so if ports are closed off, even if cruise lines wanted to do test runs here, it would not be possible. 

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

Remember reading that potential risk to port cities from infected disembarking passengers was a big concern for the CDC.  This incident will only make them more resistant to cruising.

I hadn't seen before the Forbes article mentioned page 4 of this thread that a passenger has tested positive.

Hurtigruten CEO Daniel Skjeldam said he is “very sorry” after 35 crew and one passenger tested positive for COVID-19 on some of the first international cruises to operate since the global pandemic put a stop to virtually all cruise traffic around the world.

--- reading more, yikes! ---

One passenger from a similar voyage the previous week had also tested positive.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

5 hours ago, twins_to_alaska said:

TheMastodon: Anyone who dies from Covid19 in their 30s and 40s who is "healthy" is a complete statistical outlier - do some research before you say outlandish things.

I think you misread... they didn't say "generally, healthy people" are dying... they said "generally healthy people". It's true that previously healthy young people are dying. They didn't claim it was the norm for that age group.

Statistical outliers.  Vast majority 75+

• Like 1

and another one...

Cruise ship Paul Gauguin, part of the Ponant group, was between the islands of Bora Bora and Rangiroa when the alert was sounded.  It only resumed international sailings on Wednesday, and has been forced to return to Tahiti after a positive case of Covid-19 was detected by the onboard doctor. 

• Thanks 1

This latest news about ship near BoraBora basically confirms dont expect to have any sailings out of the US until we have a cure and/or vaccine.

From what I read about vaccine everyone may need 2 doses to be effective.  So let's say the US completes their trial studies and has a vaccine ready by end of this year it will take time probably couple of months to logistically get those who can take vaccine months to get 2 doses.  

I have tried my best to remain hopeful my December 12 caribbean cruise would happen.   As we hear more and more travel /cruise ship issues with Covid 19 I am beginning to think my january and march sailings may not happen.  

Does Tui have another sailing leaving this week from Germany?

On 8/1/2020 at 2:35 PM, chipmaster said:

Any COVID outbreak is treated as failure and the press smells blood and this is a disaster for all lines and their credibility.

Seems like a US kind of feeling, desperation for return to normality causes another nail in the coffin of any cruise anytime soon. 

Looks like we'll need testing real time with high accuracy and vaccine before cruising, and also world wide low cases or restriction of people from places with outbreaks... I think no US or US people cruising till mid 2021 at the earliest.

Are you blaming this on the US?

2 hours ago, little britain said:

and another one...

Cruise ship Paul Gauguin, part of the Ponant group, was between the islands of Bora Bora and Rangiroa when the alert was sounded.  It only resumed international sailings on Wednesday, and has been forced to return to Tahiti after a positive case of Covid-19 was detected by the onboard doctor. 

I google translated this article. In the article there's also an audio interview with passengers "Martine and Theodore" who are currently onboard - see "Martine Interview"- maybe a French speaker here can listen and post what they are saying?  Jolie s'il-vous-plaît 😉

"On the night of Saturday, August 01, a suspected case of Covid was detected on the Paul Gauguin. After the announcement to the ship's passengers, around 10 p.m., they were all returned to their cabins. Martine and Théodore, passengers on the cruise liner, are currently confined to their cabins.

The boat was between Bora Bora and Rangiroa, when it had to turn around and come back towards Papeete.

Remember that the Gauguin made a stopover in Bora Bora and all the passengers had the opportunity to get off and come into contact with the population, who had not yet experienced covid-19"

https://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/polynesie/covid-19-gauguin-passagers-s-expriment-858530.html

That last sentence below is especially sad to me, and I had to check to see if it was correct. And it's true that Bora Bora has reported NO Covid cases. ("As of July 29th 2020 there have been 0 cases of coronavirus COVID-19 in Bora Bora. We have been very fortunate so far and pray that less fortunate countries see relief soon").

I truly hope this ship didn't bring them their first cases during the port stop there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, toad455 said:

IMO, every passenger should have to provide a negative test result just before sailing.

And even that's not enough... any of those passengers (or crew) could have it and test positive the very next day.

And with folk traveling to get to the departure port even even those that were negative before traveling could get en route to the ship and be contagious a few days after.

Edited by twins_to_alaska
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Are you blaming this on the US?

Every country will need to come to accept what their indicators say, the results will drive what the world accepts and business do.

91-DIVOC-countries-normalized-UnitedStates (1).png

57 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Every country will need to come to accept what their indicators say, the results will drive what the world accepts and business do.

91-DIVOC-countries-normalized-UnitedStates (1).png

Yes and for sure do you really think Shanghai as your background photo shows, tells the world the truth about the numbers there? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

Yes and for sure do you really think Shanghai as your background photo shows, tells the world the truth about the numbers there? 

Sorry what does my background photo have anything to do with the data there, they have nothing to do with each other, data is data, you can make your own conclusion, LOL

3 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Sorry what does my background photo have anything to do with the data there, they have nothing to do with each other, data is data, you can make your own conclusion, LOL

Ever heard of garbage in garbage out?

• Like 1

It was an American  tourist who tested positive on Paul Gaugin. She and a member of her family, who tested negative, have been placed in isolation in Tahiti. The rest of the 340 passengers and crew have been kept on board.

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chipmaster said:

LOL — not much — it’s just that every time you post charts, graphs and other data, I see Shanghai in the background and I can’t help but think.... 🤣😂😇

Hurtigruten´s CEO takes self-criticism after the COVID-19 outbreak on MS Roald Amundsen.

According to articles in Norwegian newspapers today, writes Hurtigruten´s CEO Daniel Skjeldam in a press release: “A preliminary evaluation shows that there has been a failure in several of our internal procedures. Therefore, we are now in the process of a full review of all procedures, and all aspects of our own handling”.

https://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/hurtigruten-sjefen---jeg-er-lei-meg/72710688

2 hours ago, little britain said:

It was an American  tourist who tested positive on Paul Gaugin. She and a member of her family, who tested negative, have been placed in isolation in Tahiti. The rest of the 340 passengers and crew have been kept on board.

The American woman had documentation she was negative when leaving LAX.  It’s possible she contracted it while in Tahiti.