Dear RCCL - can Los Angeles have one measly ship?

14 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Boring ports, poor beaches, limited water activities and tendering.  So tell me again, why should RCCL move ships to the West Coast?

You must be having a tough day . You seem so negative ! As Ashland said we can always hope and what is wrong with that.  

I booked a cruise on Celebrity , same company , to cruise the Pacific coast next year.  Then there’s Holland America and Princess . I don’t know much about cruising but know this much , I shouldn’t limit myself to one cruise line just for the reward perks. 

Where in Michigan are you ? I remember all too well the snowstorm of 1967 in East Lansing . 

Edited by NHProud
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, NHProud said:

You must be having a tough day . You seem so negative ! As Ashland said we can always hope and what is wrong with that.  

I booked a cruise on Celebrity , same company , to cruise the Pacific coast next year.  Then there’s Holland America and Princess . I don’t know much about cruising but know this much , I shouldn’t limit myself to one cruise line just for the reward perks. 

Where in Michigan are you ? I remember all too well the snowstorm of 1967 in East Lansing . 

That was Seville's assessment of the Mexican ports, not mine.  But why would you hope to cruise to places like Seville described.  I don't get it.  Enjoy your trips an HAL and Princess.

BTW, I don't recommend vacationing in East Lansing.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, NHProud said:

It looks like NCL has ships in three California ports.

7 hours ago, BillB48 said:

The main reason RCCL. I mean RCI, opps... RCG (is that it now?😁) is not in California is CARB.  Not the carbohydrate kind, but the government kind as in California Air Resource Board.  Right now Royal is taking advantage of a exemption in the CARB regs that permits a passenger ship about 5 calls at a California port without the ability to shut the ship's engine down and plug into shore power.  The last I was aware the cost to enable a ship to go cold iron and use shore power is upwards of $2 million.  In these times I don't think you are going to find much willingness on the company's part to invest in that project.

Maybe the suggestion to lobby your local government would be the way to go.

Good way to describe the road block for RCG not being in CA on a more regular basis.  Welcome to our *wonderful* state filled with legislation, tons of taxes (higher than any other state in the Union) and bureaucracy.  

49 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

That was Seville's assessment of the Mexican ports, not mine.  But why would you hope to cruise to places like Seville described.  I don't get it.  Enjoy your trips an HAL and Princess.

BTW, I don't recommend vacationing in East Lansing.

Never said the beaches were poor.  Just very different and not to everyone’s liking.  Many are un-swimmable  and the main beach gets very deep very fast.  But we love watching the waves, the beach bars and the dogs playing.  We love the beach in Cabo.  We don’t see a lot of cruisers on the beach.  

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Boring ports, poor beaches, limited water activities and tendering.  So tell me again, why should RCCL move ships to the West Coast?

Cabo is the only tender port. PV and Mazatlan dock. I wish they would have some 10/11 day sailings that included Zihuatanejo. And a lot of people might just want to sail for the ship. People will sail the Caribbean over and over, which others might find boring after a while too. They could also do West Coast cruises, as long as they stop in Ensenada. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wblynch said:

Royal Caribbean is my favorite cruise line but you abandoned us here in .California.  I notice you are currently scrapping some of our favorite ships.  So I ask, can’t you send just one to us out here on the West Coast? Just one?

I’m sure there are tons of other people like me that would love to sail on Royal Caribbean from Southern California again.

A7CA4763-76C5-40BC-AC12-9E2DF9D83C9D.thumb.png.32e69dda809ea181c4214eefe92c81a9.pngI found this in some old screenshots.

Edited by Chiliburn

5 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Wonder if this is true.  If so, why would they do 4/3 day cruises.  Catalina and Ensenada?  Does not sound very attractive a cruise to me.  

Because wonder is delayed,voyager has been sent to China and those bookings have been withdrawn.

So there’s hope.

1 hour ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Never said the beaches were poor.  Just very different and not to everyone’s liking.  Many are un-swimmable  and the main beach gets very deep very fast.  

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post but un-swimmable and getting very deep very fast would qualify as a poor beach for me.   How's the sand?

1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

Cabo is the only tender port. PV and Mazatlan dock. I wish they would have some 10/11 day sailings that included Zihuatanejo. And a lot of people might just want to sail for the ship. People will sail the Caribbean over and over, which others might find boring after a while too. They could also do West Coast cruises, as long as they stop in Ensenada. 

It looks like there might be 4 ports that are reachable for a cruise of 7 days or less.  The Caribbean has a lot more than 4 ports that would make sailing over and over again more enjoyable.

It only seems feasible to base a ship for a few sailings before or after a Alaska Season for either X or RCL to do a few coastal sailings or offer some Hawaii and or South Pacific roundtrip sailings for ships that come before and after through the Panama Canal from the Caribbean. Nevertheless these are specific itinararies already offered by Princess and Holland America and smaller cruiselines, hence I don't know if the demand would even be there for something like this.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Coarse.  It is the atmosphere the we love.  And the big waves can be fun (to watch, watch others and be in). Sometimes it goes from ankle deep to 10 plus feet in 2 or 3 steps.   

I'm glad you like it there but coarse sand would be strike 3 for me.   Un-swimmable , gets very deep very fast and coarse sand.

53 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

It only seems feasible to base a ship for a few sailings before or after a Alaska Season for either X or RCL to do a few coastal sailings or offer some Hawaii and or South Pacific roundtrip sailings for ships that come before and after through the Panama Canal from the Caribbean. Nevertheless these are specific itinararies already offered by Princess and Holland America and smaller cruiselines, hence I don't know if the demand would even be there for something like this.

I would sail on RCI over PCL or HAL any day anywhere. I loved the 7 night Mexican Riviera cruises...it's on the Viking Serenade ship out of San Pedro that started our cruising addiction. 

• Like 1

Before "all this"  started, the plan was to send Voyager to California.  Now, who knows?  

Potential itineraries:

1. The old Monarch itineraries:  3 & 4 nighters, Catalina and Ensenada.  (most likely)

2. Alternating Mexico & Pacific Coastal (must go to Victoria; PVSA) 7 nighters.  

3. Just Mexico.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Before "all this"  started, the plan was to send Voyager to California.  Now, who knows?  

Potential itineraries:

1. The old Monarch itineraries:  3 & 4 nighters, Catalina and Ensenada.  (most likely)

2. Alternating Mexico & Pacific Coastal (must go to Victoria; PVSA) 7 nighters.  

3. Just Mexico.

A 7 night coastal out of California would hit Ensenada, not Victoria.

23 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I would sail on RCI over PCL or HAL any day anywhere. I loved the 7 night Mexican Riviera cruises...it's on the Viking Serenade ship out of San Pedro that started our cruising addiction. 

Ashland , why ?   Princess is almost a local business  being so close to where you are.  They contribute a lot to Santa Clarita .   RCG has sunk to a new low in my eyes because they’ve held on to my refund for > 105 days. 

Michigander

I have no interest in cruising to Mexican ports . I’m more interested in Alaska , Hawaii and perhaps Asia from San Diego or LA.  We spent 4 years in East Lansing and have great memories of MSU .  

Edited by NHProud

26 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

People want the ship to go the other way.  😉 

I agree.  They could do it if they offered 7 days from Southern California to Seattle and then a 7 day return cruise from Seattle to Southern California.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NHProud said:

Ashland , why ?   Princess is almost a local business  being so close to where you are.  They contribute a lot to Santa Clarita .   RCG has sunk to a new low in my eyes because they’ve held on to my refund for > 105 days. 

Michigander

I have no interest in cruising to Mexican ports . I’m more interested in Alaska , Hawaii and perhaps Asia from San Diego or LA.  We spent 4 years in East Lansing and have great memories of MSU .  

Yes...I know exactly where PCL is located in Santa Clarita and have passed it many times. 

We missed doing the 7 night MR cruises so much we at one time did book PCL...Newly refurbished Sapphire and wonderful aft mini-suite cabin location.

I couldn't put my finger on exactly what it was but it just felt off and uncomfortable...I guess it just wasn't RCI and the feeling that every time we step on board we feel at home and know what to expect. 

Will we ever give it another try...hard to tell.

I'm so sorry you're having a bad experience with (RCG?) RCI and your refund...After 25+ cruises with them .... booking directly with them and owning my bookings I can say I've never had a bad or unexpected experience in my dealings.

Please be patient and I hope your refund will be processed soon. If not please call them or you TA if you use one again.

Happy, healthy sailing to wherever and whatever line that may be next.