Dear RCCL - can Los Angeles have one measly ship?

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Can Voyageur transit the Panama Canal?In addition to being scheduled out of Singapore  through March 2022 she is also now scheduled for Europe for the summer of 2022.  

Doesn't look like she will be on the west coast anytime soon. 

Sometime between Mar/2022 and Apr/2022, Voyager has to get from Singapore to Copenhagen (I hope it sails with passengers ). Maybe sometime after her Europe run in 2022, she will make it over here to the West. 
I’m not sure about the old locks, but it’s a possibility, she could fit through the new locks at the PC.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Sometime between Mar/2022 and Apr/2022, Voyager has to get from Singapore to Copenhagen (I hope it sails with passengers ). Maybe sometime after her Europe run in 2022, she will make it over here to the West. 
I’m not sure about the old locks, but it’s a possibility, she could fit through the new locks at the PC.

A B2B transatlantic / Panama Canal cruise would be amaaaaazing!

On 12/11/2020 at 12:03 PM, Ashland said:

We'll eventually get an RCI ship back on our coast......Those that continue to say "when pigs fly"!

They will ... just a matter of time until they take flight :classic_biggrin:

Anything can fly with enough thrust.

5 hours ago, Ashland said:

No....Have you ever been to Ensenada...what are we suppose to do take a bus ?

The last bus ride we took from Ensenada to San Diego was 3 hours, 40 degrees F. on the bus, and blaring Frank Sinatra tunes the whole way. We ended up breaking out our souvenir beach towels to stay warm. That whole border crossing at San Ysidro is kind of a busy mess. And Tijuana is of course, always fascinating. :classic_rolleyes::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I read once that the lifeboat placement prevented Voyager class from doing the canal. I don't know if that applies to the  new locks.

The Voyager class are too long and wide to use the original locks, so new locks it is.  While the lifeboats extend beyond the side of the ship, they won't be an issue.  The Canal permits protrusions and overhangs provided they are high enough.  If there is an issue with the Voyager it would be the sponson for the "outside" promenade deck under the lifeboats that extends beyond the side of the ship as goes around the dining room.  It is over 50' above the water, so I "believe" it is high enough.

OK, curiosity got to me and I went and looked up the regulation... anything under 55.268' (16.85m) is not permitted.  I guess the question is the protrusion around the MDR at least the 55.268'?  As I stated above, it is over 50'... just not sure if it gets to 55 figure.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ashland said:

No....Have you ever been to Ensenada...what are we suppose to do take a bus ?

Yes.. All the major cruise lines did it 20 years ago.  Although it  was not a good journey. A small tidbit from another cc'er.

We did Honolulu to Ensenada a few years ago on Celebrity-Infinity and this was the end of the cruise for us and it was truly horrible. The bus we were supposed to have (a nice one) had broken down and they put us on some local disgusting bus for the trip to Ensenada. I don't remember how long it take but it was definitely NOT as long as 3-4 hours...maybe 2 1/2.  Takes for ever and it is only 80 miles.

The worst was yet to come at the border. Approx 20 buses dropping of cruise passengers arrived at the border at the same time and that was in 2003...we were not allowed to stay in the bus (but our carry on luggage could) and had to disembark the bus and stand in a 1/2 mile long line, with social distancing the line would be 3 miles long,  with all the others that arrived at the same time and literally walk across the border (through the little immigration building) and get on our bus on the other side. The scary part was that there was no security - beggars, stray dogs - all roaming around while we are waiting in line. It was scary.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Yes.. All the major cruise lines did it 20 years ago.  Although it  was not a good journey. A small tidbit from another cc'er.

We did Honolulu to Ensenada a few years ago on Celebrity-Infinity and this was the end of the cruise for us and it was truly horrible. The bus we were supposed to have (a nice one) had broken down and they put us on some local disgusting bus for the trip to Ensenada. I don't remember how long it take but it was definitely NOT as long as 3-4 hours...maybe 2 1/2.  Takes for ever and it is only 80 miles.

The worst was yet to come at the border. Approx 20 buses dropping of cruise passengers arrived at the border at the same time and that was in 2003...we were not allowed to stay in the bus (but our carry on luggage could) and had to disembark the bus and stand in a 1/2 mile long line, with social distancing the line would be 3 miles long,  with all the others that arrived at the same time and literally walk across the border (through the little immigration building) and get on our bus on the other side. The scary part was that there was no security - beggars, stray dogs - all roaming around while we are waiting in line. It was scary.

There is now a four lane toll road between TJ and Ensenada. Very fast. The crossing still sucks, but there is now a pedestrian crossing at the TJ airport 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Port of Los Angeles is expecting cruise ships but without passengers, in the coming weeks, according to a port press release.

The visits for fuel, supplies and services are part of the cruise lines’ operations to reestablish the ships in U.S. waters as a prerequisite to meet federal regulations in order to resume cruising in the future. 

The port said it continues to closely monitor the situation and is working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), U.S. Coast Guard (USCG), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), California Department of Public Health, Los Angeles County Department of Public Health and other emergency and public health agencies. 

Princess Cruises, Holland America and Norwegian Cruise Line cruise ships are scheduled to send ships arriving in Los Angeles this week and through the new year, periodically docking at the Los Angeles Cruise Terminal for fuel, food, supplies, and/or services. No vessels will be carrying passengers.

The Port of Los Angeles is expecting more than two dozen cruise ship calls through early February.

In addition to increased precautions to minimize community spread of and exposure to COVID-19, cruise ship safety implementations while at berth include Passenger Ship Safety Certificate (PSSC) training and Marine Evacuation System (MES) replacement.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24119-cruise-ships-to-dock-at-port-of-los-angeles-without-passengers.html

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 5:42 PM, crzndeb said:

The issue will be with Bridge of America's.  Based on some quick research she is too tall to fit under the bridge.  Ship: 206 ft tall Bridge:  201 ft clearance at high tide.

Not sure how of the clearance difference at low tide.

Edited by gatour
Cleaned up some grammar

2 hours ago, gatour said:

The issue will be with Bridge of America's.  Based on some quick research she is too tall to fit under the bridge.  Ship: 206 ft tall Bridge:  201 ft clearance at high tide.

Not sure how of the clearance difference at low tide.

Ships are permitted under the BoA on a case by case basis with an air draft of 205' at low tide.  The tides at Balboa can range up to 21'.  There also is potentially another issue and that is the part of the outside promenade deck that protrudes  as it goes around the MDR.  Canal regs don't permit protrusions beyond the hull that are less than 55' above the water.  That protrusion might not be high enough.