Dear RCCL - can Los Angeles have one measly ship?

3 minutes ago, WeMissSeaView said:

I agree.  They could do it if they offered 7 days from Southern California to Seattle and then a 7 day return cruise from Seattle to Southern California.

This sounds great !! I would be first in line to book this itinerary.

26 minutes ago, WeMissSeaView said:

A 7 night coastal out of California would hit Ensenada, not Victoria.

Princess has San Francisco 7 night cruises that go North and use Victoria.   They also have one-way that stop/start in Vancouver from CA.  That wouldn't be a bad route thrown in once in a while to mix things up and create some route diversity.  

I used to do Carnival out of Long Beach.  Those 3/4 routes are super boring in terms of ports.   Cabo's okay unless you get crappy anchorage then the tendering takes forever.  That happened to Vision last year, didn't reach shore until 2pm.   The Bliss came in and sucked up all the shore tenders leaving Vision to use her own from the most distant anchorage. 

I dislike tendering.  Cabo is basically on my avoid list now leaving PV as the ONLY viable MX West coast port.  It's hard to get excited about an itinerary when there is only one decent MX port.  

That's the problem with West Coast cruising.  When they can make more money with a resource elsewhere why put a ship in CA only to achieve lower revenue offering a poor itinerary?  Throw CARB into it and it makes no business sense to operate from CA.

10 minutes ago, WeMissSeaView said:

They could do it if they offered 7 days from Southern California to Seattle and then a 7 day return cruise from Seattle to Southern California.

Violates the PVSA.  To/from Vancouver, BC is an option. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

Violates the PVSA.  To/from Vancouver, BC is an option. 

Well it would be nice if that would someday change. It would open up several types of itineraries from SoCal. Or just spend a few days in between cruises then their two separate sailings right.

Edited by Ashland

If Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines (RCCL as anyone can see by their web page) were to bring the Voyager back here it would be amazing.

it does seem there are a lot more mean, cranky people  here than the last time I visited these boards several years ago.

First I would say that claiming RCCL could not make profits here is challenged every week by Princess, Carnival, Holland America and Norwegian, who all seem to be sailing full (in normal times)

Second, California doesn’t have any problem with the other cruise lines operating here so the colloquial attacks on our government are unfounded.

Next, Southern Californians don’t need to go on a cruise to enjoy beaches.

Then, considerIng that Royal Caribbean is yanking ships and sending them to scrap.  I think sparing just one for the West Coast is not unreasonable.  Of course I sent a message to them, which is yet unanswered.

We have had great fun sailing Princess, HAL and Norwegian since Royal Caribbean left here but sure would love to enjoy Royal Caribbean again.  ( I take that back, we didn’t enjoy Norwegian Bliss at all even though it was a beautiful, brand new ship)

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, wblynch said:

First I would say that claiming RCCL could not make profits here is challenged every week by Princess, Carnival, Holland America and Norwegian, who all seem to be sailing full (in normal times)

It's not that RC can't make profits there.  They have done the analysis, and they can make more profits elsewhere.  

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WeMissSeaView said:

I agree.  They could do it if they offered 7 days from Southern California to Seattle and then a 7 day return cruise from Seattle to Southern California.

They would have to hit Ensenada or Victoria one day to make the Pacific Coastal sailing legal under the PVSA.

58 minutes ago, wblynch said:

If Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines (RCCL as anyone can see by their web page) were to bring the Voyager back here it would be amazing....

They changed the name to Royal Caribbean Group (RCG) a few weeks ago.  RCI (Royal Caribbean Internatuinal) is one of the lines under it as well as Celebrity, Azamara, TUI etc

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

It looks like there might be 4 ports that are reachable for a cruise of 7 days or less.  The Caribbean has a lot more than 4 ports that would make sailing over and over again more enjoyable.

I also have purely selfish reasons for wanting a ship on the west coast. Since I’m a solo cruiser, we get double points on our cruises. Once we hit 340 points (days), solo supplement becomes 150% instead of 200%.....I would definitely sail Royal on Hawaii or Pacific Coast cruises.Those double days add up on longer cruises. And flights are a lot quicker  and cheaper from Seattle. Even better if they sail some from San Diego, I have a place to stay there, so no hotel.

I don’t really have interest in Mexico or Caribbean, but since I’m here on the West Coast, I would definitely choose Mexico first, if Royal brought a ship here.

I was just on the Voyager in November, and rumors were going around then about her coming to West Coast. Would love to see her here. She’s a beautiful ship, and I would sail her in a heartbeat, just for the ship itself.

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

I would sail on RCI over PCL or HAL any day anywhere. I loved the 7 night Mexican Riviera cruises...it's on the Viking Serenade ship out of San Pedro that started our cruising addiction. 

Viking Serenade was my first Royal ship, along with my 2 daughters. We only did the 4 night in Apr/1996.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, WeMissSeaView said:

Each way would stop in Victoria Canada.  You have to sail past Victoria to get to Seattle.

Victoria is not a distant foreign port.  If the cruise ends in a different US city from where it began it requires a distant foreign port on the itinerary per the PVSA.  Victoria is a near foreign port.  

For a cruise that starts in Cali it would need to end in Canada.  It can visit Seattle on the way but it would need to end in Canada.  Victoria being on an island sucks as a home port to embark or debark from.  Vancouver is a much better choice to end.

Unless you are talking round trip from Cali but then you need more than 7 days.  You specifically suggested SoCal to Seattle which isn't round trip so it requires a distant foreign port or it has to end in another country (Canada).

Edited by twangster
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

They changed the name to Royal Caribbean Group (RCG) a few weeks ago.

That's a marketing move, RCCL is still very much their name as far as the SEC is concerned and RCL is still their stock symbol.

When then as they were then called, RCCL, abandoned the Los Angeles market, I wrote Richard Fain a letter and he actually wrote me back.  He explained that even though the ships sailed full, it was poor or sub-standard on-board sales that prompted them to leave when their contract with the Port of Los Angeles expired.  It had nothing to do with previously mentioned Air Resources Board standard or anything similar.  It was strictly a dollars and cents decision.

We truly missed them sailing from LA as we would book last minute, be it the 4 night or the 7 night cruises and did them 3-4 times a year.

Since we can no longer, or at least only occasionally sail RCI from the west coast, we have changed to another line as our line of choice. 

8 hours ago, Biker19 said:

That's a marketing move, RCCL is still very much their name as far as the SEC is concerned and RCL is still their stock symbol.

Yes, according to the SEC filing of their form 8-K for the name change, it is still RCCL for filings and ticker symbol RCL.

As for promotional and marketing materials including the web site, as well as their corporate identity, as of July 30, 2020 they are known as Royal Caribbean Group (RCG).

http://app.quotemedia.com/data/downloadFiling?webmasterId=101533&ref=115147021&type=HTML&symbol=RCL&companyName=Royal+Caribbean+Cruises+Ltd.&formType=8-K&dateFiled=2020-07-30&CK=884887

Edited by livingonthebeach

21 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Good Advice.  I'm just working to get to graduate from Cool Cruiser and get to the 3000+ Club.  Maybe today????🤞

Some of y'all needa just get back to work ! 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Viking Serenade was my first Royal ship, along with my 2 daughters. We only did the 4 night in Apr/1996.

My parents and brother sailed on the ship when it was a new cruiseferry, sailing as MS Scandinavia.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

Alphabet soup RCL, RCCL, RPITA whatever.  We have done many west coast departures since we also like to drive to the departure ports.  Love the Hawaii cruises and Mexico is fine but after a while we like something different.  It is as much about the life on board as it is about the ports.  West coast US cruises offer great places to go but for us (love the CA coastal) it seems to focus on great oceanfront bars and restaurants.  Now we are retiring  and will have more time to fly and do B2B or just plan 2 or 3 cruises from an East coast port.  They are all fun and I welcome getting back to being bored with the choices we have.  Staying home is getting old fast.

Edited by zonacruiser25
spelling

19 hours ago, WeMissSeaView said:

Some of us enjoy Pacific Coast cruises.  A quick stop in Ensenada, and then San Diego, Santa Barbara, Monterey and San Francisco.  It is also nice to cruise and fly in the same time zone that I live in.

Only an hour out for me time wise   so much better than hours to Fort Lauderdale!

• Like 1