Should I cancel two week cruise Nov/Dec before final payment?

Derbie

DH and I have a cruise the booked for the last week of November into December.  We have already had three cruises this year cancelled; one for March, July and October.  So, before we pay up again for another cruise, I am trying to decide if we should make the final payment in a few weeks.  What are your guesses on the chance of the cruise being cancelled?  Just wanting people to chime in their opinion, as I try to make this decision to pay possibly for another cruise that will not leave the port.  Thanks all!

Why not just use one of your FCCs to pay it, so that you don't have to lay any cash out?  Also, this is a very personal decision, and I for one wont tell you what to do.  I plan on paying my Jan 9th cruise.  If it doesn't go, I will just use the FCC on a cruise once they start going again.

• Like 1

to quote dirty harry, "do you feel lucky?"  we know all cruises are cancelled thru at least  10/31/2020. if the final payment is coming  up, i'd probably cancel. we had an 18 day cruise leaving athens dec 1st that i cancelled earlier this year as my wife was worried.  if ncl cancels the cruise, you can get your money back or a cruise credit (which sometimes is a pain in the rear to use)

however, if you cancel, and there are still cabins available after, you can always re-book.

might even get a better deal.

in any event good luck and if you decide to sail Bon Voyage

• Like 1

I would not make final payment and hope to get deposit back.  Personally dont think any cruises going anywhere unfortunately for a long time to come.  I keep hoping to wake up to good news, but think we have a long road ahead of us to be back to taking wonderful cruises again.  good Luck 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Derbie said:

DH and I have a cruise the booked for the last week of November into December.  We have already had three cruises this year cancelled; one for March, July and October.  So, before we pay up again for another cruise, I am trying to decide if we should make the final payment in a few weeks.  What are your guesses on the chance of the cruise being cancelled?  Just wanting people to chime in their opinion, as I try to make this decision to pay possibly for another cruise that will not leave the port.  Thanks all!

Cancel. If you decide to go after the relaunch, buy a last minute ticket. 

• Like 1

There is no need for you to cancel.  Leave it to NCL.

Like you, I have a cruise coming up on 11/29 on the Encore.  Looking forward to it.  I booked it over a year ago.

Then it was $1K cheaper for the balcony cabin.  NCL recently raised the price to a point where no one will likely book.

And like you, I had 3 cruises cancelled this year (all on Viking).  I'm looking forward to cruising again.

NCL recently changed their final payment policy from 120 days to 60 days so final payment is still weeks away.

So, the final decision to sail will likely be made by NCL (or the CDC or CLIA) before I need to make final payment.

Relax and hope for the best.

2 hours ago, Derbie said:

Chances to sail if from the US ZILCH!   Good luck trying to get anything but FCC

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MikeyB said:

There is no need for you to cancel.  Leave it to NCL.

Like you, I have a cruise coming up on 11/29 on the Encore.  Looking forward to it.  I booked it over a year ago.

Then it was $1K cheaper for the balcony cabin.  NCL recently raised the price to a point where no one will likely book.

And like you, I had 3 cruises cancelled this year (all on Viking).  I'm looking forward to cruising again.

NCL recently changed their final payment policy from 120 days to 60 days so final payment is still weeks away.

So, the final decision to sail will likely be made by NCL (or the CDC or CLIA) before I need to make final payment.

Relax and hope for the best.

Has the final payment due changed when you log into your NCL account?

8 hours ago, oteixeira said:

Why not just use one of your FCCs to pay it, so that you don't have to lay any cash out?  Also, this is a very personal decision, and I for one wont tell you what to do.  I plan on paying my Jan 9th cruise.  If it doesn't go, I will just use the FCC on a cruise once they start going again.

None of my FCC's are for NCL.  Two for Carnival and one for HAL.  Otherwise, I would do this.  We used the coupons you get when you open a NCL CC.  It is a $4K plus cruise, so I want to choose carefully.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, katiecat said:

Has the final payment due changed when you log into your NCL account?

Nope. My sailing is for December 12, 2020 on Encore out of Miami. My due date was 8-14, I have only paid the $100 deposit. Mine still does not show an October due date. Going to let it ride and see what happens in October. But I will not give any additional money unless they make an official announcement that it will sail in December. 

Katiecat-

I don't see anything on MY NCL about making a final payment or when it is due.

But I was officially notified by NCL about the change in final payment to 60 days prior to sailing.

It was obvious to me that they made this change to limit the number of passengers who might be entitled to a FCV.

Anyway, I would not be cancelling now.  I hope to sail.  Don't we all need to get away?

Sadly, I have just cancelled my Jan. 3, 2021 Getaway cruise out of NY to Miami.  Our final payment was still 120 days so it was due next week.  I unfortunately booked with a TA that only gets back to you once a week so I was not taking any chances.  Hopefully I will book again when I see cruises sailing with no restrictions like masks, etc.

Personally, I don't think we'll see any sailings this year.  But your guess at whether it will happen is just as good as mine, total speculation based on every uncertainty.  If your money being tied up and you don't mind giving NCL a long term loan as you try to get it back, assuming the cruise is cancelled and you don't want FCCs, pay up and wait.  But for me, with such uncertainty, I'm not investing an more money in a cruise until I see this virus situation resolved.  

1 hour ago, MikeyB said:

Katiecat-

But I was officially notified by NCL about the change in final payment to 60 days prior to sailing.

Please be careful. I have read that while final payment dates have moved, your right to cancel without penalty remains at the original final payment date.

As people have said, it's a personal decision.  We also were supposed to sail the last week of November into December, and we decided to cancel right before final payment.  I just didn't want all that $$ (over $8k) tied up with NCL at this point.  I do have other cruises booked - May 2021, October 2021, and January 2022.  I will worry about the final payment for May next, but to me it wasn't worth it to have the funds tied up during these uncertain times. 

• Like 1

Are any of the caribbean islands taking cruise ships, I have read somewhere that St Kitts will not take any until 2021, we are due to sail out of Barbados on Dec 13th, but honestly don't think it will happen, we may need a covid test to enter Barbados, also there are a few islands that are in a bubble with Barbados, maybe those would only be the ones we could visit. We also like to go ashore independently so not too happy with shore excursions or nothing, a family on the MSC Grandiosa went on an excursion but then decided to do their own thing, the ship refused to left them back on apparently.

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

Sadly, I have just cancelled my Jan. 3, 2021 Getaway cruise out of NY to Miami.  Our final payment was still 120 days so it was due next week.  I unfortunately booked with a TA that only gets back to you once a week so I was not taking any chances.  Hopefully I will book again when I see cruises sailing with no restrictions like masks, etc.

Looks like someone just posted a letter dated today 8/26 from NCL stating Cruises thru March 2021 have also had their due dates changed to 60 day as well. 

I have 2 cruises coming up. a 11 day one in europe next November and a Transatlantic in December. So far NCL tells me they are a go. I had em push the final payment as back as possible, I dont want to give more money to ncl to end up unable to use it ... again.

So atm playing the waiting game...

I cancelled my Nov/Dec cruise before final payment.  Saw no way there would be any sailings out of NYC , or that all islands would be open to ships.   Also considered the danger of being  at sea if a virus breakout aboard..