The Daily for Thursday Aug 27, 2020

richwmn

12 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Thanks! DH has an amazing new camera with a crazy zoom,  they were selling on-board in Japan.  

12 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Thanks! DH has an amazing new camera with a crazy zoom,  they were selling on-board in Japan.  

That is one ZOOM!

• Like 5

Thank you for the Daily Rich.

I would hope people forgive everyday, just because they should.  I'll pass on the menu selection, we are having homemade pizza.  I made the dough for 3 pizzas a few weeks ago and froze one so that's ready and have set out Italian sausage from the freezer, that with mushrooms, onions, herbs and yum.  The wine sounds good, we love New Zealand Sauv Blanc.

And just because, here is Thursday from the Oosterdam:

1261.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, superoma said:

Based on the leaves, they look like canna lilies.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

5 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

That’s what I was thinking as well. And wondering where in our yard I can incorporate some. I love the red.

I agree with you both.  Although I couldn’t really expand to see the pic better (it blurred), I would say those are cannas.

Tiogacruiser what zone are you in?  Cannas are very susceptible to Frost and don’t even like it when it goes much below 10 degrees Celsius.  I dig mine up every year so they are in pots 😉 (easier to dig out of pots than the ground - you can colour me lazy 😉 )

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Good morning all!  Thank you Rich, Roy, Joy, Cat, Kazu and everyone who contributes! 

So interesting to wonder where these ships are heading and why? A sunset the other night when we had a lot of smoke, that fortunately is gone now!  Hoping everyone stays well with these fires and hurricanes! The garden is still blooming. 

C666FF7E-447F-4FDE-960E-E6B0A49686C2.jpeg

C73776EE-C9A0-4E6F-8A0A-5989898295DE.jpeg

A46C88DF-EFCF-41C9-96CD-BE7A02E01271.jpeg

35534487-9E0C-4973-BE5C-AE8C5ED57BC2.jpeg

Beautiful!

• Like 3

Good afternoon, everyone. Thanks to Rich once again for the Daily report and to all who contribute to make it so special. Our thoughts and prayers to those being affected by Hurricane Laura. 

Four years ago today we took an amazing ride from Denali N.P. to Anchorage onboard the McKinley Explorer. It was a beautiful day.

ME1.thumb.jpg.7697b7aa15a41ebe34daad7a6b2797db.jpgME2.thumb.jpg.b789ba2654cd1bb6e910ac1fe3d6daf6.jpg

ME3.thumb.jpg.744b00e47c20983ce9a791e74f63bb4a.jpg

And Denali, in all it's glory...

ME4.thumb.JPG.9544f10952f2f416d94cd276bab7a5aa.JPG

ME5.thumb.jpg.8c50db99fedc1f286bb728f67c7a722e.jpg

Everyone please stay safe, and have a great evening.

Lori & George

• Like 13

25 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

1261.JPG

I just told my husband yesterday I need a HAL elevator mat to tell me what day it is lately.  These weekdays just run on and get all jumbled up in my mind.  Since we don't have an actual elevator maybe we should get some hearth mats that could do the job.  I'll have to work on that!  😉

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 7

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning/afternoon smile 🙂 

I am late today.  I was killing time in the “big city” waiting for DH’s surgery to finish and bring him home.  Nothing serious.  Just his other eye cataract surgery but I’m not keen on going in places where it is too “peopley”.  Of course, I can’t go in the hospital so I had to kill time waiting for his surgery to be done as he couldn’t drive.  And no, Roy he doesn’t need to be on the care list.

I did venture into Costco though as there was no lineup and haven’t been there except for his last surgery in months. (Everything has been ordered on line and delivered). Scored good hand sanitizer so I am happy about that.

forgiveness should be every day, not just a day - it’s good for the soul and I just love the quote.  And just because .......  it pretty much sums it up...

0E494175-A0D8-4B5D-B491-757DB6550CFF.jpeg.8beea2cc0bbc3a6d66e945ec115b17b3.jpeg

Love the meal suggestion.  I’m thinking of it.  I need to make something and I do have left over beef tenderloin from the get together yesterday.

Laura (the hurricane, not our poster) is devastating.  We are praying for everyone who has had the misfortune to be in it’s path and will be in it’s path.  Looks like we may be come the weekend but it will be nowhere near what these poor people have had to deal with.

Prayers to everyone on our Care list, prayers to those dealing with hurricane Laura and celebrating with all those on our list.

Thanks to Rich for starting and expanding this thread to make it a bright spot on CC and to Roy for his caretaking of care and celebrations.

Enjoy the rest of your Thursday, all.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks. 

• Like 14

23 minutes ago, kazu said:

Tiogacruiser what zone are you in?  Cannas are very susceptible to Frost and don’t even like it when it goes much below 10 degrees Celsius.  I dig mine up every year so they are in pots 😉 (easier to dig out of pots than the ground - you can colour me lazy 😉 )

And our winters get a lot colder than that also.

Roy

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Very interesting destination for Eurodam!

Sint Eustatius (Saint Eustace in English) is one of the smaller Dutch islands of the former Netherlands Antilles (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Sint Maarten, Saba and Sint Eustatius). I could be wrong (been there before) but I don't believe a HAL ship has ever called there. The capital is Oranjestad (like Aruba) and Eurodam will have to anchor there since the existing pier can not accommodate her

Map showing the location of St. Eustatius relative to Saba and St. Martin

St Eustatius Island

Oranjestad (Sint Eustatius Island) cruise port

1024px-Sint_Eustatius_travel_map.png

Thanks for the information John.  I had never heard of the place.  When I was in High School, there was a De La Salle Brother on the faculty named Brother Eustace.

I graduated High School in 1957.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I just told my husband yesterday I need a HAL elevator mat to tell me what day it is lately.  These weekdays just run on and get all jumbled up in my mind.  Since we don't have an actual elevator maybe we should get some hearth mats that could do the job.  I'll have to work on that!  😉

I like that idea!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I agree with you both.  Although I couldn’t really expand to see the pic better (it blurred), I would say those are cannas.

@kazu  I just looked it up. We’re zone 10a. We occasionally get a few days of frost in February, but mostly we’re on the desert side of the scale. Actually, I think this area was chaparral before it was developed. At least that’s what the open spaces are around here where I take my mountain bike. I’ve seen yellow canas, but not red.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

This might do it too:

DF34B742-462F-4037-BFB7-2BC51DC76896.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@kazu  I just looked it up. We’re zone 10a. We occasionally get a few days of frost in February, but mostly we’re on the desert side of the scale. Actually, I think this area was chaparral before it was developed. At least that’s what the open spaces are around here where I take my mountain bike. I’ve seen yellow canas, but not red.

Oh you should be fine in that zone.

Red is predominant here , Then yellow and then orange.  There should be no problem with a red in your zone.  A canna is a canna.  All you need is a bulb.  If you want start it indoors and then plant.  Costco has them in the spring and you can find them in plenty of plant buying sites.

The reds are really vibrant.  I wonder if your yellows are wild?  With your lovely climate they could be?  

Go for it.  Their foliage is beautiful even when they are in not in bloom and when they are - even better 😄 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Himself said:

Thanks for the information John.  I had never heard of the place.  When I was in High School, there was a De La Salle Brother on the faculty named Brother Eustace.

I graduated High School in 1957.

High School in the Republic of Ireland, Father? 

Irish Shamrock Flag 3x5 ft Ireland St Patricks Day Clover Leaf Saint Paddy Green

21 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

High School in the Republic of Ireland, Father? 

Irish Shamrock Flag 3x5 ft Ireland St Patricks Day Clover Leaf Saint Paddy Green

St. Mel High School, 1 North Kildare Avenue, Chicago, IL.  School merged with Providence High School in 1969 to become Providence-St Mel operating out of the Providence Building. 

My first trip to Ireland was in late February, 1995.

Edited by Himself
  • Like 4

So, all officers assigned to the Nautical/Deck and Technical/Engineering Depts who stand a watch on/in either the bridge or the ECR (Engine Control Room) have to attend and complete a 40-hr basic safety school. Even though the security officer does not stand a watch he (no she's as of yet) has access to both the bridge and ECR, so the SECO also has to attend such a course. For the officers who attend a four-year nautical school in their native countries, the course is usually included in their curriculum. HAL, based in Seattle as we all know, uses Fremont Maritime Services adjacent Salmon Bay for those of us who do not attend a nautical academy. 

The course consists of one day of First Aid, CPR and learning how to use an AED (Automated External Defibrillator), two days of marine safety/survival training, one day of fire fighting inside the "fire dragon," an actual mockup of a ship where they can control an actual raging fire, including above your head - an eye opening experience. Having been a cop, the last part really intrigued me since, from day 1 in the police academy, a healthy rivalry exists between the coppers and "hose draggers."  

200268_10150222802900729_825527_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=5tsYHuBWSl8AX92Adzi&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=bfa295f0397a548b19820fb7ee63481c&oe=5F6E5CCE

The water survival training included getting yourself into a survival suit within a time limit of two minutes, jumping into the harbor from a dock, maneuvering in the water (on your back) to your teammates (already in the water), "righting" an overturned survival raft, getting in and out, and then maneuvering back to that same dock 

196238_10150222817080729_5097079_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=oe6tJmWGFU4AX88hV0-&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=353e6bc60ac8345e12d5d69a61b9006b&oe=5F6DD841

205137_10150222817615729_5061013_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=GLg3qF3RUawAX-ABJYf&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=b6e0d35a2a6a3d2a210818fcfcdc1ee6&oe=5F6BE807

205341_10150222863490729_570773_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=Tp42LUj3QFIAX_vLpxg&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=00cfb4eda73197011f9c80ec418794de&oe=5F6ECBC3

200430_10150222864410729_3390397_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=2edpzonc42sAX823tV6&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=b76723bc17f656aec135a02b913cc067&oe=5F6D6ECA

205059_10150222864710729_8273340_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=mU57AkKQBrwAX_96C0A&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=d223596f58b643a0c9f6b2aa0c79d82d&oe=5F6E862C

206513_10150222865320729_3695618_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=Nk0GWWerbM0AX8KdgvN&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=ac71999cdaf74a8645916fee92d942e9&oe=5F6C0068

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Bennybear, was DH using a tripod?

Roy

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

No, but he leaned on a park bench.   😄.  It has a 2000 zoom, a Nikon p900.   Usually we just use the iPhone, but this one is worth bringing along.

Not sure why the double quote?

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, bennybear said:

No, but he leaned on a park bench.   😄.  It has 2000 zoom, a Nikon p900

Thanks.  Brings back memories of a photo I can no longer find.  Long before getting there by ship I visited Hawaii on a Smithsonian trip in 1992.  One evening we stopped on a beach near Kilauea and the eruption was creating a beautiful glow in the sky.  One member of the group had a very nice camera but no tripod and it was not bright enough for a short shutter time.  I was carrying a walking stick with a screw attachment on the top and he took it and leaned it up against one of the van's open doors.  The result was beautiful.

Roy

• Like 6

The firefighting day was an eye opener for me and taught me to have an even healthier dose of respect respect for firefighters. It involved dressing up into turnout gear, a helmet, nomex hood, gloves, boots plus a mask and SBCA (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus) on your back. The first part included the instructors filling up the "fire dragon" with white smoke to the point where you could not see your hand in front of your face. You then had to go in with your buddy (using the buddy system of him/her holding on to you with one hand - otherwise you would guaranteed lose each other) and using your other free hand to utilize the "right-hand wall" search technique (always keeping your right hand attached to the interior wall of the structure - otherwise you would guaranteed get lost inside and become worthless).

The object was for your two-person team to search the interior of the "ship" for a "dummy/victim" who was down somewhere. There have been students who, due to the sudden claustrophobia would panic and "wanted out." They would fail the course

199991_10150222920620729_5729630_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=gAsyjw_Twt4AX856tuf&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=cbb2fb66aecb816cf89cafca395ae501&oe=5F6E3D9B

206628_10150223003770729_2681799_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=D5fuZz8OsE4AX8ez6e2&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=cb5016e6d0a2dbd70e9ece46fa93eb7c&oe=5F6C4932

Fremont Maritime – Training for Competency as Well as Certifications -  Fishermen's News

India Tango Fire Training - SSS ODYSSEY

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thanks.  Brings back memories of a photo I can no longer find.  Long before getting there by ship I visited Hawaii on a Smithsonian trip in 1992.  One evening we stopped on a beach near Kilauea and the eruption was creating a beautiful glow in the sky.  One member of the group had a very nice camera but no tripod and it was not bright enough for a short shutter time.  I was carrying a walking stick with a screw attachment on the top and he took it and leaned it up against one of the van's open doors.  The result was beautiful.

Roy

Necessity is the mother of invention, 😄

The big island is one of my favourite places on this earth!  Sigh, hope we can visit again this winter!  

6FE31773-F5DD-43A1-B516-855991E9063E.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

The object was for your two-person team to search the interior of the "ship" for a "dummy/victim" who was down somewhere. There have been students who, due to the sudden claustrophobia would panic and "wanted out." They would fail the course

I suspect the untimely end to a once promising nautical career.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 4