Cancelling a February cruise

EM35

7 minutes ago, L751 said:

We booked it with future cruise credit so nothing really to lose, if it does not sail it will just be moved on. You have to try

Hello L751,

There have been various reports of people finding next Summer's cruise prices to be very high, even with the extra 25% allowance.  I was interested that you chose to use your FCC for July next year for that reason.  Did you manage to find an itinerary where you didn't end up paying more, or did you think that you are probably going to have to anyway, so best to swallow the bitter pill now?

As it happens, my personal view is that all things considered, a cruise will be possible next July, fingers crossed.  Some people would say my optimism is misplaced, my view is that, if nothing else the industry will be close to collapse if no cruises next Summer, so a way will be found that convinces enough people in terms of safety.

Obviously no one can say for definite, but I'm not expecting to have to cancel next Summer's holidays yet.  Also fingers crossed!

• Like 2

On 8/28/2020 at 7:57 PM, EM35 said:

Hi everyone, hoping someone can help. I, like I'm sure many people, have a cruise booked on Iona in February. As I have only paid the deposit, the remainder of the payment is due on the 18th November because this is so soon after the restart (not that I think they will restart then) I have decided not to go. Do I need to contact P&O, which is almost impossible, or just not pay the final balance? 

Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks 

Firstly, the worst case scenario. At balance due date, your cruise is still planned to go ahead and you don’t want to go. You simply don’t pay the balance and you lose your deposit. Contrary to what another poster implied, you are NOT liable for any further costs. The loss of deposit is your maximum liability. Personally, and for peace of mind, I would call P&O in this scenario to tell them, but select the ‘make a new booking’ option, as you will get through quite quickly, especially if you call before 0930. 

Secondly, you can kick the can down the road and transfer your deposit to a new cruise, but although this is better than the worst case scenario above, this isn’t an attractive option, as the prices of all currently bookable cruises have been hiked to wipe out the extra 25% FCC.

In my view, the best option is what we did, but I must stress that we did this in April and I haven’t been keeping an eye on the ever changing T’s and C’s to know if this has option been removed. We were due to go on a very expensive cruise on Aurora in July / August. We decided that even if the cruise went ahead we wouldn’t feel safe going and we didn’t want to pay the balance and either worry that the cruise may go ahead, or have to wait months for a refund. I simply phoned P&O and moved our deposit to a future cruise credit, but did NOT use it towards a new booking, partly due to the currently inflated prices but also because we don’t intend to cruise until we are vaccinated and we don’t know when that will be. It is sitting on our account. It has to be used by the end of 2021 on ‘any cruise that is bookable at that time’. My intention is to use it as a deposit for a 2022 or even 2023 cruise on the assumption that it will be safe to cruise by then. If it isn’t, then we just lose the deposit at that stage, which is a far better option than losing it now. 

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Firstly, the worst case scenario. At balance due date, your cruise is still planned to go ahead and you don’t want to go. You simply don’t pay the balance and you lose your deposit. Contrary to what another poster implied, you are NOT liable for any further costs. The loss of deposit is your maximum liability. Personally, and for peace of mind, I would call P&O in this scenario to tell them, but select the ‘make a new booking’ option, as you will get through quite quickly, especially if you call before 0930. 

That concerned me too as a number of posts recently suggested that you could be liable for extra penalties if you did not actually cancel.

I checked with the P&O terms and conditions and my understanding is you can lose the full amount, but only if you bought a Saver Fare. With an Early Saver or Select fare the loss of deposit is the maximum liability.

Are Saver fares only available after the due date? If so it makes sense.

I will be polite and officially cancel though

3 hours ago, No pager thank you said:

Hello L751,

There have been various reports of people finding next Summer's cruise prices to be very high, even with the extra 25% allowance.  I was interested that you chose to use your FCC for July next year for that reason.  Did you manage to find an itinerary where you didn't end up paying more, or did you think that you are probably going to have to anyway, so best to swallow the bitter pill now?

As it happens, my personal view is that all things considered, a cruise will be possible next July, fingers crossed.  Some people would say my optimism is misplaced, my view is that, if nothing else the industry will be close to collapse if no cruises next Summer, so a way will be found that convinces enough people in terms of safety.

Obviously no one can say for definite, but I'm not expecting to have to cancel next Summer's holidays yet.  Also fingers crossed!

I think there'll probably be cruising of a sort by next summer, and if there haven't been too many cruises adversely affected by COVID 19 outbreaks, people may be convinced of the safety of cruising in the COVID era.

However, I think safety is only one part of the equation.  I wonder if the safety measures will make cruising an appealing prospect. Those desperate to get on a ship under any circumstances will probably go to it, and all the FCCs means there's a captive market for the next 18 months or so.

However, beyond that, I think how cruise was up until December 2019 has now gone, so I wonder how many completely new bookings they'll get if prices end up being higher, and the cruise experience different to what it was pre Covid

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I think that bothers a lot of us.  I can't see us going on a cruise where there are restrictions on board and no independence in port.  Wouldn't suit us, so until there is a vaccine, we won't be going.

I largely agree with your view - but, there is a part of me that welcomes not sitting ‘cheek by jowl’ in either the dining room or theatre.  Maybe the inflated prices take account of fewer passengers?  I would applaud that.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I largely agree with your view - but, there is a part of me that welcomes not sitting ‘cheek by jowl’ in either the dining room or theatre.  Maybe the inflated prices take account of fewer passengers?  I would applaud that.

I generally prefer tables for 2, so there is a certain attraction of these being automatically available and adjacent tables not being inches away! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I generally prefer tables for 2, so there is a certain attraction of these being automatically available and adjacent tables not being inches away! 

We always get a table for 2.

This was Ventura last August with good spacing.

IMG_20190823_194623.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

We normally have a table for 2 every night of the year.  One of the joys of cruising is NOT to have a table for two. I mean, we could meet Andy and Michelle! 

Hate tables for 2, love to meet new, interesting people when cruising. 

We usually end up laughing a lot and I'm sure it would be the same with the Wowzz's.. 

After first night ****, everyone relaxes and you get to see your real companions. 

Each to their own though. 

Andy 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

We usually end up laughing a lot and I'm sure it would be the same with the Wowzz's.. 

After first night ****, everyone relaxes and you get to see your real companions. 

Andy 

I have always enjoyed communication and hanging out with strangers. You can always meet new people on board and learn something new. Moreover, you can even get some good contacts and meet people who might be of help to you in the future. So yeah, meeting new people is very exciting.. especially on board the ship 

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

We normally have a table for 2 every night of the year.  One of the joys of cruising is NOT to have a table for two. I mean, we could meet Andy and Michelle! 

Ten years ago I would have agreed with you totally, but people choose tables for two for different reasons.  I'm pretty sociable and love to hear people's stories in the main, but two things changed.  The first big one is that my not-as-sociable husband's hearing rapidly declined and dining rooms are usually noisy places, so even with hearing aids it is difficult for him, but even more so for me because I find it stressful worrying about him.  The second is that after two excellent experiences of shared tables and one okay one, we got the table with the champion talker who knew everything about everything!

We have only sailed with P&O twice and one of those was with our family.  The other time, we hit lucky and got a table for two near a corner with lots of space around.  I say 'lucky' cautiously, because right behind me was a table for six who did not know each other at the start of the cruise, but were obviously lovely people and I was very envious because I couldn't join in their conversations and yet I felt I knew them well by the end.

Good luck getting your table with Andy and Michelle 😉  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Totally agree Andy. We always opt for a table for 8, second sitting and have made some good friends as a result. We have “a table for 2” most nights of the year and the sociable side of cruising is all part of the enjoyment for us. However I totally understand why others may feel differently.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

We normally have a table for 2 every night of the year.  One of the joys of cruising is NOT to have a table for two. 

2 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I have always enjoyed communication and hanging out with strangers. You can always meet new people on board and learn something new. Moreover, you can even get some good contacts and meet people who might be of help to you in the future. So yeah, meeting new people is very exciting.. especially on board the ship 

We have a match made in heaven...🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

Then again, you could be on a table with KTS and Malcolm. It's the luck of the draw really.

Avril

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

Ten years ago I would have agreed with you totally, but people choose tables for two for different reasons.  I'm pretty sociable and love to hear people's stories in the main, but two things changed.  The first big one is that my not-as-sociable husband's hearing rapidly declined and dining rooms are usually noisy places, so even with hearing aids it is difficult for him, but even more so for me because I find it stressful worrying about him.  The second is that after two excellent experiences of shared tables and one okay one, we got the table with the champion talker who knew everything about everything!

I could have written that myself, it's the same reasons we have  now have a table for two. Frank used to feel very uncomfortable because it was difficult to join in the conversation.  The last time was at breakfast when on Aurora. We had our meal and Frank had chatted a little but finds it frustrating when voices are coming from all sides. We got up to leave and I had turned back to get my glasses, just in time to hear a woman say that she thought he was very rude for ignoring everyone. I told her that he wasn't rude  he had a hearing problem, but if she wanted to see what rude actually did look like, to look in a mirror. I've never told Frank about it, it would have embarrassed him, but we've had a table for two ever since.

Avril

• Like 4

We prefer a table on our own and to mix with other passengers more spontaneously and opportunistically, generally speaking I dislike having to be make chit chat (we are all different). 

Whilst I see the prospect of "mixed cabin bubbles joining together on large tables" an unlikely part of the Covid-19 restart plans, if that came to pass it would bother me more than the idea of fixed excursions (at a decent price), which has also been touted.  

Mind you, at least if all of the passenger cabins go on fixed, socially distanced dining tables then the dreaded pagers can be binned off for a while...every cloud folks🤣😂

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I could have written that myself, it's the same reasons we have  now have a table for two. Frank used to feel very uncomfortable because it was difficult to join in the conversation.  The last time was at breakfast when on Aurora. We had our meal and Frank had chatted a little but finds it frustrating when voices are coming from all sides. We got up to leave and I had turned back to get my glasses, just in time to hear a woman say that she thought he was very rude for ignoring everyone. I told her that he wasn't rude  he had a hearing problem, but if she wanted to see what rude actually did look like, to look in a mirror. I've never told Frank about it, it would have embarrassed him, but we've had a table for two ever since.

Avril

Pardon!😎

We actually like a table for 6 or 8 at dinner have met some wonderful guests and have had lot,s of laughs.

Lunchtime is somewhat different, guests seemed to rushing about need to go somewhere. We at lunchtime and at dinner prefer to chill, no problem if table companions need to leave, we will sit and talk to our waiters, and finish our bottle of wine. White always with lunch but we tend to have red with dinner, we do not try to marry it the our food, which is our choice, we always have an evening wine package, and choose our wine the night before, so it is always on our table at arrival. Never look at menu until we sit down.

The lunchtime bottle normally gets raise eyebrows around the table, which makes me smile, and also ask for a wine bucket.

• Like 1

Just now, Adawn47 said:

I was tempted to add his name, but I thought those two were enough. I'd hate the thought of wowzz jumping overboard.🤣

Avril

Spoil sport!

Could imagine the staff asking for a round of applause for wowzz, and boof he was gone.

With the utmost respect!