Starting cruising again question

brenderlou

10 minutes ago, sw33twif3 said:

After being cancelled twice by Carnival for fall cruising (1st on the Mardi Gras, and the 2nd my rebook on the Magic), I've decided not to take a chance on 2020. I've rebooked for April 2021 on the Glory from my home port of New Orleans. No travel out of state to get to a ship. Just cross the Crescent City Connection on an Uber and board the ship. 

I think that will be safe...

I sure hope your Cruise happens in April as my DW and I have the Glory out of New Orleans on May 9th. So looking forward to flying down a couple of days early to see the city. Flights just booked threw AA as need to use a twice cancelled credit.

On 9/2/2020 at 4:41 PM, skridge said:

Things haven't changed.  Carnival has been confident every time.  Carnivals confidence and a nickel won't buy you a cup of coffee.

Hi

You are correct, but this time they are "more" confident. That does make a difference, also we are another month closer to when they really will start.

Think how much these top executives are being paid, every month that they can continue this charade, is just one more paycheck for them. Would you do anything different if you were in their position. 

Either way, they will eventually be right, if not, they could go bust and then the new owners will be doing the same song and dance, after restructuring. Cruising isn't gone, it's just not here now. 

4 hours ago, Cushing985 said:

I think it's a foregone conclusion that cruising out of US ports, isn't an option in 2020.

I just heard from a crew member (bartender) this morning who was told to expect a contract soon based on limited cruises resuming in December. While this doesn’t guarantee anything, the fact that Carnival is contacting crew members about signing new contracts is at least a positive sign. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I just heard from a crew member (bartender) this morning who was told to expect a contract soon based on limited cruises resuming in December. While this doesn’t guarantee anything, the fact that Carnival is contacting crew members about signing new contracts is at least a positive sign. 

I totally agree. Thanks for passing that along. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

I totally agree. Thanks for passing that along. 

Yup, they’re getting ready for a strong entrance back into cruising. They can’t cancel forever.

This part makes me think they are going to cancel to mid-Dec or so, and then only run 3 or 4 day cruises out of the US:

"limited cruises resuming in December"

And who knows which ports they'll decide to sail from?

But since this is word of mouth, not official, it doesn't make me feel better or worse either way.  Just more indecisive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

This part makes me think they are going to cancel to mid-Dec or so, and then only run 3 or 4 day cruises out of the US:

"limited cruises resuming in December"

And who knows which ports they'll decide to sail from?

But since this is word of mouth, not official, it doesn't make me feel better or worse either way.  Just more indecisive.

My guess, per a previous post asking what month we were cruising, was specific to the date: Dec. 16.

We’ll see.

Edited by xDisconnections

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Thank you for posting this.  It is a positive, hopeful sign.

Carnival Valor, set to sail out of NOLA starting in November, is currently on her way to Cadiz, Spain. It doesn't make sense that they would be pushing up a dry dock, especially when the stock price has plummeted and they've been hemorrhaging cash. So would this be for a C19 retrofit/a freshening up prior to Nov sailings, or has this been a common occurrence with the ships that have been sitting idle?

Being that we are in September already and the lengthy process it will take to bring crew back on board I don't see how Carnival will be ready to sail in November.

Not to mention majority of the ports are not opened to U.S. tourists yet so with that said, I'm willing to bet all my 401K that Carnival will NOT be sailing in November.
I will take 100 of it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Being that we are in September already and the lengthy process it will take to bring crew back on board I don't see how Carnival will be ready to sail in November.

Not to mention majority of the ports are not opened to U.S. tourists yet so with that said, I'm willing to bet all my 401K that Carnival will NOT be sailing in November.
I will take 100 of that 401 action

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

13 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

You can expect Carnival to follow Costa's lead.

https://www.costacruises.com/cruising-soon-again/safety-above-all.html

Hi

Not that I expect or am planning or can envision going on a cruise for the foreseeable future, but looking at the restrictions for the Costa plan, I see that you will only be allowed off the ship at ports on an organized ship excursion. With that thought, even if you were willing to be part of the "experience", you might not even find an open excursion that you would consider. Pretty sad.

Again, while not planning any winter escapes, I saw this week that one of the Canadian airlines that have A.I. packages are "including" Covid related insurance for medical treatment or quarantine requirements to Caribbean getaways this fall and winter. This is the first I have seen of this but I expect others to follow. This only confirms for me the desperation to lure people from a relatively safe environment with the prospect of enjoying a beach holiday in winter, after all you wouldn't want to leave a resort, just because you are insured. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

Not that I expect or am planning or can envision going on a cruise for the foreseeable future, but looking at the restrictions for the Costa plan, I see that you will only be allowed off the ship at ports on an organized ship excursion. With that thought, even if you were willing to be part of the "experience", you might not even find an open excursion that you would consider. Pretty sad.

Again, while not planning any winter escapes, I saw this week that one of the Canadian airlines that have A.I. packages are "including" Covid related insurance for medical treatment or quarantine requirements to Caribbean getaways this fall and winter. This is the first I have seen of this but I expect others to follow. This only confirms for me the desperation to lure people from a relatively safe environment with the prospect of enjoying a beach holiday in winter, after all you wouldn't want to leave a resort, just because you are insured. 

I would expect Carnival to make changes to shore excursions including offering a more excursions divided into smaller groups and bundles of excursions are reduced prices.

Along the lines of MSC, I might expect Carnival to offer Covid insurance should you be denied boarding for Covid reasons.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I would expect Carnival to make changes to shore excursions including offering a more excursions divided into smaller groups and bundles of excursions are reduced prices.

Along the lines of MSC, I might expect Carnival to offer Covid insurance should you be denied boarding for Covid reasons.

Who typed that!

I would expect Carnival to make changes to shore excursions including offering more (A) excursions divided into smaller groups and bundles of excursions AT reduced prices.

On 9/3/2020 at 2:34 AM, xDisconnections said:

Are you suggesting Carnival is acting deceitful by insinuating they have zero intentions of cruising while still accepting reservations and taking payment?

Not my Carnival 👀

What's your deal with this practice? Of course they are taking reservations even though they don't know when they'll resume cruising. Carnival had a sailing schedule all ready in place through 2022 most likely. 

No one is being forced to book. Most people book a year out or so as a normal practice.  

I see nothing wrong with taking future reservations.  It's not dishonest or deceitful. 

Edited by cruizergal70

19 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

What's your deal with this practice? Of course they are taking reservations even though they don't know when they'll resume cruising. Carnival had a sailing schedule all ready in place through 2022 most likely. 

No one is being forced to book. Most people book a year out or so as a normal practice.  

I see nothing wrong with taking future reservations.  It's not dishonest or deceitful. 

I’m confused as to why you’re saying that I’m insinuating Carnival is being dishonest or deceitful. In fact, it’s quite the opposite! While other members have been making certain statements about Carnival’s intentions, I’ve long been a supporter of the information shared by Carnival and its brand ambassador and feel the company is only acting with integrity. They remain confident with their timeline of events and look forward to soon bringing the fun back to you.

Edited by xDisconnections

On 9/1/2020 at 12:35 PM, brenderlou said:

I’ve read that we won’t start cruising until crew are back on board. Anyone with any insight to when this will happen? I have a Thanksgiving Cruise I so don’t want cancelled!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No one knows at this time when we will start sailing again, but IMO there is very little chance that we are going to be sailing by Thanksgiving. I expect to see another round of big spike sin the US beginning in late September because fo the Labor Day holiday, and it is going to take a while for that spike to flatten.

I saw it posted on another thread, but 6 cruise lines have contacted the Mexican Government about restarting cruises in November as well. 

While it’s far from a done deal, I think that the ducks are lining up for a restart. 🤞🏼 

https://www.riviera-maya-news.com/u-s-cruise-companies-express-interest-in-november-operations/2020.html

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Tapi said:

I saw it posted on another thread, but 6 cruise lines have contacted the Mexican Government about restarting cruises in November as well. 

While it’s far from a done deal, I think that the ducks are lining up for a restart. 🤞🏼 

https://www.riviera-maya-news.com/u-s-cruise-companies-express-interest-in-november-operations/2020.html

MacuvDF.gif

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, zqvol said:

No one knows at this time when we will start sailing again, but IMO there is very little chance that we are going to be sailing by Thanksgiving. I expect to see another round of big spike sin the US beginning in late September because fo the Labor Day holiday, and it is going to take a while for that spike to flatten.

Yes people are forgetting that "flu" season is quickly approaching. Just spoke with a high school principal ( their students are IN class) and he's hoping to get through October. 

He would  love to be proven wrong and normal classes continue, just a gut feeling things will go south. And as such preparations are full steam ahead for on-line classes .

18 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Yes people are forgetting that "flu" season is quickly approaching. Just spoke with a high school principal ( their students are IN class) and he's hoping to get through October. 

He would  love to be proven wrong and normal classes continue, just a gut feeling things will go south. And as such preparations are full steam ahead for on-line classes .

Could be a different flu season with social distancing and masks plus I am guessing more people will get the vaccine. Only guessing. I know flu vaccine doesn't cover all strains.  Speaking as a school nurse, schools do not close for the flu unless there is an overwhelming portion of the school affected. We rely on parents to keep their kids home if sick and staff as well. Doesn't always happen but we try.