On board spending

celoplyr

I know we aren't cruising soon, but I was just wondering.  We are doing an extended family cruise next year where my family is paying for the extended family (it's a whole thing, but we are by far the better off family).  We are paying for room, gratuities, some specialty dining, internet, shore excursions and soda packages for the kids.  We will also book the scooters for the 2 people who will need them.  Oh and we are getting them to the port.  

Now my family has been on cruises before and that covers everything but a couple (5ish max) alcoholic drinks and some shopping.  We are pretty frugal.  

The other 2 aunts, well they have never been on a cruise, so we don't know their style.  One is pretty frugal, one is....less so.  She also probably doesn't have the financial backing to not be frugal on the cruise (she relys only on her ex husbands social security).  And I don't really know her that well- that's part of the reason why we are taking the cruise.

So a couple questions.  If it was a cruise paid for by other people, would you assume that they were paying for onboard spending? If not, how could we communicate how to keep track of spending? Is there a way to give them like $100, and have the card cut off if they exceed it? I know you could do something like that for kids, but this woman is 78, so she passed "kid" age at least 5 years ago 🙂  

Thanks for your help! I figure a year to figure it out might be needed!!

Could you pay for those things pre cruise, and then have the aunts or whomever they are sign in for their own onboard expenses with their own credit or debit cards? Without hurting feelings. 1 idea

My sister is lower IQ and I set it up so she cant charge. If she wants something she just asks me and I charge it to my account. 2nd option

I do think you can set it up for a limit, but have heard of times it's not cut off at the set limit. I would do #1 or #2 above. 

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Could you pay for those things pre cruise, and then have the aunts or whomever they are sign in for their own onboard expenses with their own credit or debit cards? Without hurting feelings. 1 idea

My sister is lower IQ and I set it up so she cant charge. If she wants something she just asks me and I charge it to my account. 2nd option

I do think you can set it up for a limit, but have heard of times it's not cut off at the set limit. I would do #1 or #2 above. 

We are hoping to do idea 1.  That's my mom's hope (it's all of her siblings we are going with).  I just don't want my poor aunt to have a heart attack after a week of "oh this is so much fun, yeah let's do bingo, oh those drinks, etc".  A complication is that I don't think she even knows her own finances as her daughter does it.  

There's also a lot of underlying family drama, mostly about money, that I think is stupid.  Of course, I'm on the "you have it so easy side" of that drama, so I guess I really can't talk.  But I am going to try not to exacerbate it...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Actually, I don't think you can set it up with a limit.  There has been extensive discussions about this when it comes to kids and their arcade spending.  Many have tried and failed to limit the spending of kids and then ended up with big bills from the arcade.  If you make it a cash account, they could still charge on it but it will be cut off at $500.  That limit might be too high for your purposes though. My only other suggestion would be to not give them any charge privileges linked to your credit card, give them $100 and then let them link their own card or be responsible for their own cash account

• Like 2

I've also been with someone whose card was declined and the buzzer went off went we tried to ,leave the ship. Lol what are you going to do then? 

I wouldnt sign up to pay someone else's charges. That's not even counting my sister got married and they decided after I'd paid not to go. I'm still mad. If they have no skin in the game they wouldnt care how much you spend. I'd talk it out beforehand. 

I would hope that if you are paying for the cruise and the transportation to and from, that the family members would be willing to accept the responsibility for their on board spending.  If you prepay their gratuities, there will be no NEED to spend money on the ship. There are plenty of free beverages and entertainment options. If they want to have alcoholic drinks, or play bingo they should not expect you to pay for them. Let them know up front, ahead of time, that you have covered the cost of transportation , the cruise itself and the gratuities. Anything beyond that is their responsibility.

• Like 6

Just now, Tree_skier said:

Actually, I don't think you can set it up with a limit.  There has been extensive discussions about this when it comes to kids and their arcade spending.  Many have tried and failed to limit the spending of kids and then ended up with big bills from the arcade.  If you make it a cash account, they could still charge on it but it will be cut off at $500.  That limit might be too high for your purposes though. My only other suggestion would be to not give them any charge privileges linked to your credit card, give them $100 and then let them link their own card or be responsible for their own cash account

Yea that's what I've red too, setting a limit didnt work. The account wasnt cut off.

Cash account might be  good 3rd alternative. My sister has no money sense. I give her a set amount to spend at ports for instance also in cash.

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

You can set any account as a cash account.  Without going to guest services and applying some cash to the account she will be very limited. 

Suggest you prepay gratuity so there is nothing else required to be charged.

We paid for an extended family cruise and I was asked, when doing check in, if I wanted to link a card, do cash or have no charge privileges.  I think that that is only three  options. We cut off the littlest one (10 yr old) from charging.  All the rest could but had the discipline to refrain.  It sounds to me, from the tone of the OP's opening post that some of these extended family members lack the requisite self-discipline.  The cash account has a limit of $500 and who is going to pay that at the end of the cruise if these family members charge up the limit.  

17 minutes ago, celoplyr said:

We are hoping to do idea 1.  That's my mom's hope (it's all of her siblings we are going with).  I just don't want my poor aunt to have a heart attack after a week of "oh this is so much fun, yeah let's do bingo, oh those drinks, etc".  A complication is that I don't think she even knows her own finances as her daughter does it.  

There's also a lot of underlying family drama, mostly about money, that I think is stupid.  Of course, I'm on the "you have it so easy side" of that drama, so I guess I really can't talk.  But I am going to try not to exacerbate it...

Option 1 is the only way to protect yourself.  Keep it linked to their credit or debit cards.  You can always put $100 on everyone's account at guest services and then after that their on their own.  If they don't spend the money, they'll get it credited to their card, but that's probably ok.

13 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Let them know up front, ahead of time, that you have covered the cost of transportation , the cruise itself and the gratuities. Anything beyond that is their responsibility.

This is what I would do.

If you feel the need, you could add $100 OBC to their account if you wanted but,,,, you're already being quit generous. If they want more???? efem!

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

We paid for an extended family cruise and I was asked, when doing check in, if I wanted to link a card, do cash or have no charge privileges.  I think that that is only three  options. We cut off the littlest one (10 yr old) from charging.  All the rest could but had the discipline to refrain.  It sounds to me, from the tone of the OP's opening post that some of these extended family members lack the requisite self-discipline.  The cash account has a limit of $500 and who is going to pay that at the end of the cruise if these family members charge up the limit.  

This is odd because that was my understanding but on a B2B my 2nd cruise was coded as a cash account and I was locked from any charges until I went to GS and put a credit card on file.  Of course the line at GS was long on day one but I couldn't even buy a drink so I had no choice but to wait it out.  

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

This is odd because that was my understanding but on a B2B my 2nd cruise was coded as a cash account and I was locked from any charges until I went to GS and put a credit card on file.  Of course the line at GS was long on day one but I couldn't even buy a drink so I had no choice but to wait it out.  

Hmm weird.  Maybe it was an IT glitch caught half between cash account and no charging privileges.  What do you usually do? Do you usually wait until you get on the ship to apply a card or do you normally do cash?

7 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Hmm weird.  Maybe it was an IT glitch caught half between cash account and no charging privileges.  What do you usually do? Do you usually wait until you get on the ship to apply a card or do you normally do cash?

I always put a card in during online check in.  I know did on that one two, it's automatic.  Passport, credit card, accept contract, done.  Nineteen cruises last year, you kind of get into a routine.  No way I just put my passport in.  The bartender knew me from the previous cruise, he gave me a drink without charging me but told me I've got to get it fixed.  I knew the GSM from other cruises.    He told it's marked as a cash account, no card on file.  

Edited by twangster

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

Nineteen cruises last year, you kind of get into a routine.

That's what I figured.  That's odd they wouldn't let you charge on a cash account.  I am pretty sure that that has been extensively covered here on CC. Royal IT/billing is some of the weirdest stuff you will ever find.  I just got a copy, in my email, of my invoice for a cruise I have booked on Empress for no apparent reason.

totally agree that honesty is the best policy. People can be obtuse, so sitting down with the Aunt and in plain English explain what she will be responsible for is the best. Make sure you also explain what happens at the end of the cruise if she doesn't settle her bill.

4 hours ago, wolfcathorse said:

totally agree that honesty is the best policy. People can be obtuse, so sitting down with the Aunt and in plain English explain what she will be responsible for is the best. Make sure you also explain what happens at the end of the cruise if she doesn't settle her bill.

Similar to what I was  going to write.   Seems telling the ADULT that you are paying for cruse, transportation to/from, gratuities, family specialty dining ( or whatever you are actually paying for) and then explaining to the adult that some things are extra and that she will be responsible for  her spending.  If you can give  her an idea of how much EXTRA items cost, like an excursion is $$, a drink is $$, a massage is $$ and so on... that might be helpful. 

You are generous to treat everyone to a cruise.   

M

Communicate! Communicate! Have a family meeting to discuss in detail what you are paying for and what their responsibilities are. Have it in writing and talk about it.  Do not link your credit card to their accounts. If you would like to give them spending money I suggest putting OBC on their account or give them cash so they can decide how to spend it.

Now if you're Daddy Warbucks let them have at it.  Do you have room for 2 more? My hubs and I would love to join you. 😁😁

Edited by cynt

When you check them in at 90 days click the box that says "no charging privileges". Tell them if they want to charge anything they are on their own and will need to put their own credit card down.  I'd never take responsibility for someone else's spending, especially, as you have indicated, for people you don't trust to manage money.

I would agree with having an honest discussion and letting others know that they will need to pay for their own incidental expenses.  If you're worried about family drama that might cause, you could deliver the same message but with a slightly different approach.  Explain it like you're giving them instructions on how to set up their charging privileges.  Tell them that they don't need to pay for anything related to the cruise fare, gratuities, internet, or specialty dining as these are all paid in advance (subtle reminder that you paid the big expenses).  For other onboard charges like drinks, spa, bingo, etc., follow these steps to link their credit card to their account.  The cruise line will automatically charge their CC at the end of the cruise for any additional charges during the week.  You could even include example costs for things.  The focus is not on who pays but rather how the paying happens (their credit card, not yours).

• Like 3