Keeping our morale up during the pandemic.

OzKiwiJJ

So today NSW has more fresh community transmission covid positive tests then Victoria had for past 24 hours.  The Qld Premier will be looking at these statistics closely.   The 'Sunshine' State could be closed forever to most regions of NSW and all of VIC.😝

Edited by NSWP

It's a political ploy, pure and simple.

Fact - People in NSW are free to travel anywhere in the state.

Fact - People from northern NSW LGAs are currently permitted to travel to Queensland.

Fact - Queenslanders are permitted to travel to NSW and return to Queensland with out any issues unless they have been to a NSW hotspot. Is Sydney still deemed a hotspot?

Scenario ... someone from Sydney could unknowingly contract the virus just before heading up to, say, Kingscliff for a holiday. Whilst in Kingcliff they go to restaurants and bars where Queenslanders are present, and unwittingly pass on the virus to them. The Queenslanders return home, taking the virus with them.

So the Queensland border has been breeched in a totally legal manner. It makes a complete mockery of the border closure and the 28 day ruling.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Fact - People from northern NSW LGAs are currently permitted to travel to Queensland.

Fact - Queenslanders are permitted to travel to NSW and return to Queensland with out any issues unless they have been to a NSW hotspot. Is Sydney still deemed a hotspot?

Scenario ... someone from Sydney could unknowingly contract the virus just before heading up to, say, Kingscliff for a holiday. Whilst in Kingcliff they go to restaurants and bars where Queenslanders are present, and unwittingly pass on the virus to them. The Queenslanders return home, taking the virus with them.

So the Queensland border has been breeched in a totally legal manner. It makes a complete mockery of the border closure and the 28 day ruling.

Agree.

11 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The sad thing is some people genuinely believe it is for, and improves, their safety. And nothing to do with politics. Gotta wonder why that is.

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

The sad thing is some people genuinely believe it is for, and improves, their safety. And nothing to do with politics. Gotta wonder why that is.

Because it is working.  All cases of the virus in Queensland were brought in by people who broke the law.  There are currently no cases of community transmission in Queensland.  The situation is the same in WA, with its closed border.  NSW has been unable to get on top of community transmission/mystery cases.  

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Uh, oh, State of Origin is on again, NSW v QLD.
At least we are all better off than UK, 17500 positive tests in the last 24 hrs, out of control.

Yes I'm sad for my friends in the UK and USA.  Hard to believe I was in the UK last September.  Also Brooklyn and Queens in NY where numbers are increasing partly because a number of Orthodox Jewish Groups aren't following the rules.  Sound familiar, where rules are for someone else?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes I'm sad for my friends in the UK and USA.  Hard to believe I was in the UK last September.  Also Brooklyn and Queens in NY where numbers are increasing partly because a number of Orthodox Jewish Groups aren't following the rules.  Sound familiar, where rules are for someone else?

Too late, the horse has bolted. If back in March, the UK and US Governments had ordered severe lockdowns and compulsory mask wearing in public, the incidence of infections would have had to be far less than current numbers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Because it is working.  All cases of the virus in Queensland were brought in by people who broke the law.  There are currently no cases of community transmission in Queensland.  The situation is the same in WA, with its closed border.  NSW has been unable to get on top of community transmission/mystery cases.  

NSW is completely on top of the community transmission / mystery cases from the current outbreak. If you look at the statistics in detail you'll see that all the unsolved mystery cases stem from the original outbreak in March/April which, of course, are no longer relevant.

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

NSW is completely on top of the community transmission / mystery cases from the current outbreak. If you look at the statistics in detail you'll see that all the unsolved mystery cases stem from the original outbreak in March/April which, of course, are no longer relevant.

Totally agree. Can we assume Qld is part of Straya? (With all the goings on.) I am not eating any more Qld bananas as a protest.

Edited by NSWP

36 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Totally agree. Can we assume Qld is part of Straya? (With all the goings on.) I am not eating any more Qld bananas as a protest.

The best bananas in this part of Australia are from Northern Rivers NSW.  Buy local!

31 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The best bananas in this part of Australia are from Northern Rivers NSW.  Buy local!

Indeed, Coffs Harbour etc. So are you on the NSW side of the Goldie?

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Indeed, Coffs Harbour etc. So are you on the NSW side of the Goldie?

Yes, I have bought bananas from inland at Coffs Harbour.  I live in the northern part of the Coast, but used to be a frequent visitor to northern NSW. I used to buy bananas from a house in Mooball.  

20 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes, I have bought bananas from inland at Coffs Harbour.  I live in the northern part of the Coast, but used to be a frequent visitor to northern NSW. I used to buy bananas from a house in Mooball.  

Yes, Mooball, cow out the front ofvthe milkshake place. When my mother lived at tweed heads advtugun 1982 to 2004, it wasvan annual drive to the goldie and  a stop at mooball.

Ministers in uk are now  admitting covid is out of control in north of England. I have relos and a few friends in England, they say many people are too complacent and carrying  on like it is  a non event. It is a worry, numbers are doubling.

Looking at the big picture,, with all the latest outbreaks.... they seams to be start a single person doing going somewhere.... and bingo an outbreak...

It makes you wonder... it these spot fires will continue to pop out out of blue... for ages  ??

One thing  haven't really been to Queensland since the 1970's 

( not a beach person., scares too many people )...

but I did have a bite to eat in Queensland about 10 years ago at Cameron's Corner.....

So if they leave the board closed no biggie for me...

Don

3 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

It makes you wonder... it these spot fires will continue to pop out out of blue... for ages  ??

Don

In the two states with the highest populations in Australia - it seems yes.    

That's the nature of this beast. Since people are infectious before they show symptoms, and it's very virulent, one person can easily start an outbreak before they've even realised they've come in contact with the virus.

28 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's the nature of this beast. Since people are infectious before they show symptoms, and it's very virulent, one person can easily start an outbreak before they've even realised they've come in contact with the virus.

Which is precisely why Social Distancing and/or masking is so extremely important.

Edited by Bowm54
  • Like 3

I just recalled that when I was last at Miami Beach, at the narrow end of a jetty, there was a small group of men dressed in combat gear, with big guns hanging off themselves.  They told me Miami was a free state where you could go about armed.  They knew about our PM having a policy to get guns off the streets in Australia.  

16 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

A positive outcome from the pandemic ........

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/sunday/audio/2018767843/near-extinction-of-influenza-in-nz-as-numbers-drop-due-to-lockdown

'Near extinction' of influenza in NZ as numbers drop due to lockdown

Social distancing masks et al show their worth, I wonder what numbers will be like next season though. I guess what I am wondering is will we learn?

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Social distancing masks et al show their worth, I wonder what numbers will be like next season though. I guess what I am wondering is will we learn?

Call me cynical but I doubt it🙄. I'm would be expecting an explosion of influenza next year as people make up for this year😆

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Judging by the lack of masks being worn in my local Woollies yesterday, no, most people won't have learnt anything.😠