The Daily for Friday Sep 25, 2020

richwmn

Thanks for this thread and all the people on in! That's a great set of days! Interesting quote, and one that DH follows. He has the sense to know what is good for him! 😉

I love the meal suggestions. We'll have to see what suppertime brings (and how many are here) Love the drink suggestion. 🍹 Of course, I like anything mango. 😋

I had an emergency message from DS today. His little guy has a rash and couldn't go to daycare, and DS had some important calls to make today. So DS is in the office/junkroom upstairs and grandson is down playing the ukelele with his aunt. ❤️

2 hours ago, Gsel said:

Thanks for the daily Rich and Roy and for the prayers. Have found you don't "fight" Alzheimer's you learn to just "roll" with it or it will roll over you!

Barbara

Barbara, I think you have it right. You have to roll with it. Bless you!

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Just a comment on comics - while standing at the grocery store the other day, I looked at an Archie comic book; the price was $4.99.  Wow!  As a child I recall paying 10 cents for a comic book, and at the local pharmacy on Saturdays they would tear the covers off (to return for credit, I assume), and you could buy a bundle of 5 for 25 cents.  Talk about inflation!  LOL

I remember those days....and penny candy that was actually 3 for a penny. Little brown bags to put 30 pieces of something in for your dime.

Welcome to @Ichiban Nekko

Looks to be a spectacular weekend here! Have a wonderful day!

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask!

Edited by Dismomx5
  • Like 9

37 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

Welcome to @Ichiban Nekko

Looks to be a spectacular weekend here! Have a wonderful day!

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask!

I had missed this.  Barbara has been reading and reacting to posts quite a bit and I hadn't realized she hadn't posted yet.  Welcome, Barbara.

Roy

• Like 5

Good morning everyone.

Thank you for this wonderful thread. 

The meal and wine suggestion sounds good, but we're going to BBQ some cheeseburgers for supper tonight.  Today's high is forecast to be 25C (77F) and humid.  Lots of sun and a gentle breeze.  We've got to enjoy it while we can, the leaves are turning and it looks like autumn, but it feels like summer.

Love everyone's pictures (even the picture of Tommy),  thanks for posting.

Sending prayers for everyone on the Care List.

Dogs are great, COVID sniffing dogs are even greater.

Cheers to everyone celebrating something.

Take care.  Be safe.  Be kind.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@kazu I bought deer repellent spray. Did you ever find a product that worked?

Deer repellant can work.  It needs to be replenished on a regular basis.  The problem is every time it rains/snows/heavy dew/frost it needs to be replenished as it washes off and wears off.

I didn’t have much luck with it but our deer are super domesticated.  Nothing seems to stop them for long.  Not even dog hair.

However in other areas, some gardeners have had reasonably good success with it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all, and thanks to Rich and Roy!😄  Raining here again, but all is good - I heard the birds tweeting yesterday and a vulture was flying overhead.  

I don't mind spiders, but I prefer them to stay outdoors.  We collect horse chestnuts in the fall and put them around the house as a deterrent.  I'm not sure it works, but there don't seem to be too many inside.

My stamp club had a zoom meeting last night.  It was so nice to see everyone after this long hiatus.  We are hoping to go back to "real" meetings next month in a new, larger venue.  With masks, hand sanitizers, distancing, etc.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have Covid-sniffing dogs!  Everyone will want one, and we would be allowed to take them wherever we go, like seeing-eye dogs!  But then they would be out of a job when there is a vaccine....

• Like 6

Good morning all!

I guess both western Oregon and WA are getting the rain and wind, we even lost power yesterday for a few hours. Not due to weather as I expected at first though, someone hit a power pole 😞  Hopefully he/she is ok.   

Wish I had some koala photos!  The first of 4 cruises cancelled for us this year was to be last April to Australia and NZ.  

Comic books -- I only read Little Lulu and Archie comics (telling my age here!)  My sister had quite the collection of Little Lulu.  

Stay healthy everyone and wear your masks 🙂  

• Like 6

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning and afternoon smile 😄 

Bravo on the Food Service Workers’ Day.  We should be celebrating them every day for their much needed work during these times and who doesn’t love koalas.  One of DH’s thrills was being up and close and personal with one when we were ‘Down Under’.  

Love the quote for today.

Busy day today - taking the bundle of trouble aka Miko for grooming and a pile of errands that require too many stores.  But it had to be done.  Taking a little break before it’s time to pick up the bundle of trouble.  

He has a blast at the groomer’s as she has 3 dogs and he loves them all.

After that it’s time to test the dahlias and try to move them back out and survey the damage.

Have a great Friday everyone!  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks.

• Like 11

A man in a movie theater notices what looks like a koala sitting next to him.

"Are you a koala?" asked the man, surprised.

"Yes."

"What are you doing at the movies?"

The koala replied, "Well, I liked the book."

Image by Bella Helm on Animals | Koala bear, Koala, Cuddly animals

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 6
  • Haha 6

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your list Roy. 

Food service workers need more than a day to be honored for their service especially during Covid. I was never into comic books but loved the Sunday paper comics, Family Circus comes to mind mostly. The meal suggestion sounds good and so does Roy’s but I just got home from Trader Joe’s and bought a ready made Turkey with rice stuffed peppers and a salad that we will have tonight. Still in the turkey theme though. 

We get the occasional tarantula but mostly have scorpions. Seems like once a week DH says he has found one inside the house. 

My peppers are finally happy. These are Anaheim peppers, they are not really hot. I also have a Poblano plant and a Fresno but they aren’t as big as the Anaheim yet. 

0F0B6E44-5151-4B58-B8F8-9B9DEE7BBDE2.thumb.jpeg.1432a7f2912f4fe71d1f8b29faaab6a5.jpeg0DB1B906-5763-427F-8C28-2DB409DE95D8.thumb.jpeg.9d855ba37685ed3f007ee808ff9405ee.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

The local football club. Our guide said they weren't very good -

image.thumb.png.4b7059086d856eee2ac75fa7dd78c32e.png

Your guide must not have been a true Malagueño (or Malagueña) as Los Boquerones (Los Blanquiazules) are well followed in the Malaga area.  There best season was the 2011/2012 season, which was shortly after the club was purchased by Shiek Abdullah Al Thani in 2010.  He spent a lot of money on players and they qualified for European Champions League and were within minutes of reaching the semi finals when a terrible refereeing decision meant they lost to FC Dortmund.

Since then they lost their top players and Al Thani lost interest.  Now they play in La Segunda (second division just below La Liga).

OK I admit to being a fan of the club!

Now back to normal programming.........

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Your guide must not have been a true Malagueño (or Malagueña) as Los Boquerones (Los Blanquiazules) are well followed in the Malaga area.  There best season was the 2011/2012 season, which was shortly after the club was purchased by Shiek Abdullah Al Thani in 2010.  He spent a lot of money on players and they qualified for European Champions League and were within minutes of reaching the semi finals when a terrible refereeing decision meant they lost to FC Dortmund.

Since then they lost their top players and Al Thani lost interest.  Now they play in La Segunda (second division just below La Liga).

OK I admit to being a fan of the club!

Now back to normal programming.........

Not these guys? 😉 

Cork-City-Football-Club-Crest.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think I will do something with Spaghetti Squash tonight, not sure exactly what yet...

Here are my last Malaga pictures from our 2018 Transatlantic. We really want to do more of these crossings!

Not quite sunrise, but fairly early morning (for me at least) looking over the cruise terminal -

image.thumb.png.5a528ab04d0fecb5bb87adf7b38476b6.png

If you get the chance, do not miss this!

image.thumb.png.7fa6d625ec3730f1318c05010994ca0c.png

Picasso in the square -

image.thumb.png.ebaec74aeccf431c501107e5648f4d2f.png

View of the countryside from the castle -

image.thumb.png.66f2b04226bef51d06b2bbb4ae6deab7.png

I just realized......we were in Malaga on the Koningsdam on April 8th, 2018.....were we on the same cruise....??

I have a close friend....who has a friend that lives in Paris.  He had rented an apartment......was spending a month in Malaga when Covid hit earlier this year and was forced to quarantine in Malaga............he is still there.....and loving it.....:)

• Like 7

I think I will do something with Spaghetti Squash tonight, not sure exactly what yet...

Here are my last Malaga pictures from our 2018 Transatlantic. We really want to do more of these crossings!

Not quite sunrise, but fairly early morning (for me at least) looking over the cruise terminal -

Picasso in the square -

I just realized......we were in Malaga on the Koningsdam on April 8th, 2018.....were we on the same cruise....??

I have a close friend....who has a friend that lives in Paris.  He had rented an apartment......was spending a month in Malaga when Covid hit earlier this year and was forced to quarantine in Malaga............he is still there.....and loving it.....:)

4 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Picasso in the square -

I just realized.....we were on the Koningsdam and in Malaga on April 8th, 2018....was this the same cruise....??

I have a close friend.....who has a friend that lives in Paris.   He had rented an apartment, was vacationing in Malaga when Covid hit earlier this year.  He couldn't return to Paris and had to quarantine in Malaga.....loved it....and is still there.....:)

Edited by Rowsby

7 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Not these guys? 😉 

Cork-City-Football-Club-Crest.png

Nah! It's too wet and cold here to go to football (soccer) matches.  I did go to the local matches in my younger days. Recently I have been to La Rosaleda  stadium to watch Malaga CF more often as I can deal with sunshine and inexpensive vino much easier than rain, wind and expensive drinks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your list Roy. 

Food service workers need more than a day to be honored for their service especially during Covid. I was never into comic books but loved the Sunday paper comics, Family Circus comes to mind mostly. The meal suggestion sounds good and so does Roy’s but I just got home from Trader Joe’s and bought a ready made Turkey with rice stuffed peppers and a salad that we will have tonight. Still in the turkey theme though. 

We get the occasional tarantula but mostly have scorpions. Seems like once a week DH says he has found one inside the house. 

My peppers are finally happy. These are Anaheim peppers, they are not really hot. I also have a Poblano plant and a Fresno but they aren’t as big as the Anaheim yet. 

0F0B6E44-5151-4B58-B8F8-9B9DEE7BBDE2.thumb.jpeg.1432a7f2912f4fe71d1f8b29faaab6a5.jpeg0DB1B906-5763-427F-8C28-2DB409DE95D8.thumb.jpeg.9d855ba37685ed3f007ee808ff9405ee.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

They look great.. 👍 

DH likes poblano peppers even though they aren’t really hot.  I had no luck finding seeds this year though.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

menu suggestion for today - Garlic & Herb Turkey Roulade

Drink of the Day - Tropa Mango Mojito

Wine of the day - Beringer Cabernet Sauvignon Knights Valley vintage 2015

Everything sounds delish today, just served individually, not served togather.

This brings back memories of 1978, our son had just joined the Army leaving us empty nesters so my husband and I decided to go on a 4 day road trip through the Ca. wine country. My first ever taste of wine was at a tour of the Beringer Vineyard and the wine was the Cabernet Sauvignon.  I seem to remember being told that this was the wind that was server at the wedding of John F. and Jacqueline Kennedy although I could be wrong on that. 

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Rowsby said:

I just realized.....we were on the Koningsdam and in Malaga on April 8th, 2018....was this the same cruise....??

I have a close friend.....who has a friend that lives in Paris.   He had rented an apartment, was vacationing in Malaga when Covid hit earlier this year.  He couldn't return to Paris and had to quarantine in Malaga.....loved it....and is still there.....:)

We would have to have been on the same cruise! If you saw a couple with Tim Horton travel mugs wandering around the ship, that might have been us. 

I can think of worse places to be quarantined than Malaga!

• Like 5

As always I refer to this as my daily dose of positivity.  Love all the amazing photos and menu suggestions.  Air is clear today.  Hope the rain in the NW helps with your fires.  Yesterday was especially bad with smoke from the Western fires.  Colorado still has two major fires going, but they are East of us, so we don’t have their smoke.

I got an email from HAL today that has me thinking about next year—can an older person “think” about booking?  Nieuw Statendam or Rotterdam?  Decisions, decisions.  Haven’t picked up the phone yet!

• Like 7