Would you be tempted to try Fred Olsen? World Cruise is half the price on ex-Rotterdam for 2022 vs Zaandam?

Chrisifab

4 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

it's similar to Hal, which means not all inclusive..

Gotcha....so similar to HAL and the food leans more British.....We could handle that if it's at a much lower price than HAL.  Put us down for "yes, we'd be tempted".

• Like 2

I wonder if Fred. Olsen's world cruises would start to attract some guests from those of us in the Colonies:  would that impact the menus and cuisine that was offered?

Love Fish and Chips--particularly if the fish is Halibut.  Mushy Peas and a few other items that I recall from sailing on Cunard:  a world cruise's "worth" of such cuisine would probably having me search for the nearest McDonald's when we arrived in port.  

• Like 2

Need more information. I suppose research on my part might be in order.

First, as mentioned, I would need to do a shorter cruise before committing to a 100+ day WC aboard FO.

Second, the Liverpool / Southampton departs / arrivals would require us to do some TA’s aboard the “Queen” since I avoid flying whenever possible ( I like the Queen, only have done one, but wasn’t’ crazy about the dress code for the MDR.

Thirdly, we’d have to pay for laundry & pressing! Well, so it goes...

Seriously, we’ll be on the sidelines cheering everyone else on for the next year, perhaps longer, depending on the various outcomes / potential remedies yet to be encountered for the cruise line industry.

Be well. Better times ahead.

Bob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I wonder if Fred. Olsen's world cruises would start to attract some guests from those of us in the Colonies:  would that impact the menus and cuisine that was offered?

Love Fish and Chips--particularly if the fish is Halibut.  Mushy Peas and a few other items that I recall from sailing on Cunard:  a world cruise's "worth" of such cuisine would probably having me search for the nearest McDonald's when we arrived in port.  

Sounds like a far cry from fish and chips and mushy peas:

EXAMPLE DINNER MENU

Breads

Fresh Bread Baked Daily in our On Board Bakery
Starters

Sun Ripened Avocado Fan with Sweet Grilled Red Peppers | Drizzled with Limoncello dressing

Prawns with Tomato Mousse | Juicy prawns with a smooth and lightly spiced mousse

Soups

Clear Beef Consommé with Tiny Vegetables | With a splash of port and a crisp cheese twist

Lobster Bisque | Rich and creamy with a hint of Cognac

Chilled Apple and Pear | Swirled with yoghurt

Salads

House Salad | A selection of market fresh seasonal ingredients with a choice of honey mustard, balsamic, Caesar, thousand island or creamy garlic and herb dressings

Hand Tossed Classic Caesar | With anchovies, croutons and parmesan shavings

Main Courses

Baked Fillet of Norwegian Salmon | Covered with a shrimp mousse, on a creamy truffle and asparagus risotto with mousseline sauce

Roast Lamb Loin 'Provencal' | Roasted and painted with Dijon mustard, topped with a crunchy herb and garlic crust, served with a natural jus, gratinated potatoes and seasonal vegetables

Beef 'Filet Mignon' | Grilled to your liking on a herb butter crouton, served with fondant potato, forest mushrooms, braised shallots and a Madeira jus

Fettuccine with Parma Ham and Smoked Duck | With a light mixed herb pesto and a parmesan crisp
(Also available as a vegetarian dish with diced Quorn)

Chilled Seafood Platter and Warm Dill Potatoes | Mussels, prawns, poached scallops and a smoked salmon purse filled with crab meat

Vegetable Tempura, Sushi Rolls and Soya Spiced Broth | Crisp Japanese battered vegetables, Californian sushi rolls and a miso soup

Always Available

Grilled fish of the day*, grilled chicken breast*, omelettes*, pasta with vine ripened tomato ragout 

All dishes can be served with a selection of daily well done vegetables, French fries, boiled or baked potatoes

Desserts

Crepes Suzette | A classic, with wonderfully rich Grand Marnier laced orange sauce, vanilla ice cream and toasted almond flakes

Creamy Chocolate Pot | With Amaretto macerated sweet dark cherries and a crisp shortbread biscuit

Passion Fruit and Lime Chiffon Tart | Served with a compote of seasonal berries

Ice Cream and Sorbets

Please ask your waiter for today's selection of ice creams and sorbets.
Sugar free and soya ice cream is also available

A selection of British & International cheeses | Served with grapes, celery, radish & dried apricots
  • Like 5

I learned a huge amount from the Fred Olsen website. The “from” price for an inside cabin is for a segment not the whole cruise. However it appears to include port taxes and there is a tips included offer just now. The tips are only 5 pounds per person per day anyway. Currently that is about $8.50
On the website under “ships” there is a sample main dining room menu which looked very similar to HAL’s but no prime rib. It looked delicious - it is too long since I’ve taken a cruise! You can also see a wine list and bar list.
I did some dummy bookings. My favorite cabin was available in segments but I must call for back to back bookings. However my interpretation is that the deposit is 15% and that is NONrefundable. They say to take out insurance and I think you are allowed one change of cruise. Lots of things to find out for a U.K. based cruise line.

• Like 2

I have been on Fred Olsen twice and enjoyed both, but I do agree with whoever said not to use a line you have not traveled with for a big cruise. There were some things we did not like and over a long period would get tiresome. We found the entertainment a bit amateur. Ok for a week but longer? The food was lovely, but again I am not sure that it would have had the variety to sustain my interest on a longer voyage.  And the Britishness of it might need getting used to.  Our two trips were very 'good value' for 6/7 nights and we would certainly do those again, but I cant recommend a prolonged journey with them when the 'good value' becomes a bit less of a consideration..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, barrow said:

I have been on Fred Olsen twice and enjoyed both, but I do agree with whoever said not to use a line you have not traveled with for a big cruise. There were some things we did not like and over a long period would get tiresome. We found the entertainment a bit amateur. Ok for a week but longer? The food was lovely, but again I am not sure that it would have had the variety to sustain my interest on a longer voyage.  And the Britishness of it might need getting used to.  Our two trips were very 'good value' for 6/7 nights and we would certainly do those again, but I cant recommend a prolonged journey with them when the 'good value' becomes a bit less of a consideration..

Thank you for your impressions.

We still might give ‘em a go sometime for a 7-14 day cruise when things settle down.

Be well.

Bob

• Like 2

"Borealis, like her sister ship Bolette, has capacity for less than 1,400 guests..."

"Fewer" is the correct word to use here. I will not be sailing on a cruise line that exhibits such a cavalier attitude toward grammar. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/1/2020 at 7:40 PM, Sir PMP said:

Yes, I would, but the itinerary is not the best I have seen, plus I don't understand why they picked this ship with only one small pool for a long trip. The Amsterdam, Bolette, would have been much better for this.

I’m considering the itinerary as my travel mate is a first time world cruiser. I think the itinerary is ideal for that, as it includes the likes of Australia and New Zealand, which HAL have missed out.

On 10/1/2020 at 9:42 PM, Mickb said:

Bear in mind that the Fred Olsen product is very much aimed at the British market.

The food and entertainment will not be what you would be served on an American ship. It will be good but perhaps lacking the finesse that HAL can offer. The lead in price is very attractive but bear in mind in this world - you get what you pay for!

Haven’t HAL sacked all their in house dancers and singers lately though? Isn’t entertainment more or less, “as you make it” according to reviews (sadly)? MSC aren’t American, and they have some of the best entertainment at sea out there currently.

Your post slightly irked me, as you’ve judged a product before it’s even launched, based on it being “not American”. I’ve sailed HAL and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it’s a bit of a stretch to presume the exact same ship will be better or worse based on the nationality of the staff, who were mostly, let’s face it, from the Philippines anyway?

On 10/1/2020 at 9:59 PM, rkacruiser said:

If planning a 2022 world cruise, I would seriously consider it if my research would indicate that it would be a "good fit" for me.  

Sir PMP, I share your thought about "why the Rotterdam" and not the Amsterdam.  Maybe Fred. Olsen has some plans for changing that aft Lido Deck?  Maybe they plan on utilizing the Borealis' speed potential as compared to the Bollete?  

Fred Olsen are definitely focusing on the Rotterdam’s speed as being a plus point in their marketing.

On 10/1/2020 at 11:02 PM, Cruise NH said:

Wow, you got me excited there for a minute. I would love to pay less for the 2022 world cruise but Fred Olson's really doesn't look much like the HAL 2022 cruise.  There is no Japan, China or Amazon among other things.  

I would certainly look at them in the future though.  We're on Cunard frequently so we're used to and actually prefer more international passengers.  Maybe 2023!

I’m sailing with a new world cruiser, and I think that the draw of Australia and New Zealand etc. rather than China and the Amazon will be a huge bonus for them.

With the money saved, we could do a Far East cruise independently. I quite like cruising Japan, but there’s only so many times you can visit the aquarium in Osaka and/or take a bullet train to Yokohama or Tokyo. It certainly isn’t worth double the price in my opinion, at the sacrifice of seeing a kangaroo, or an overnight in Sydney, especially for a first time cruiser. 😉

On 10/2/2020 at 12:11 AM, sail7seas said:

Seeing you asked........  NO, it does not tempt me even a little

Short but sweet. Like a Carnival dessert 😂

8 hours ago, FredT said:

Basic "meat and potato's" style foods , blander fish dishes, pie's, and (Surprisingly to me anyway) a lot of Indian cusine. 

Are you sure it was Fred Olsen you sailed, and not CMV? 🥴

I do appreciate the comment about the Indian cuisine though. We had an influx of immigration from the Indian colonies in the 1950’s and 1960’s, and we’ve embraced their culture as part of our own. Chicken Tikka Massala is the most popular English takeaway meal. It’s lovely! 🙂 

6 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Fred Olsen Cruises has certainly caught our attention by acquiring the Rotterdam and Amsterdam.  I just went to their web site and noticed the ex Rotterdam, now Borealis, world cruise is possibly booked as it reads: "call for details", rather than a price.  Most of the prices listed are considerably more than 100 pounds per day or $130 US for an inside room pp. Gratuities are extra.  A glass of house wine is 4.35 pounds or about $5.70 US.  I would seriously doubt dining and service is equivilent to Holland America's.  So if the fares are about the same as HAL, I guess there would not be enough incentive to "jump Ship" to Fred Olsen.

Why would you ‘seriously doubt’ the dining and service is equivalent to HAL without actually trying it? HAL is Carnival. You do realise that? The fares on Fred are half the price. And they’re British. Where we queue, and say sorry all of the time. I think you’d be surprised. 🥴

2 hours ago, ScottishMaid said:

I learned a huge amount from the Fred Olsen website. The “from” price for an inside cabin is for a segment not the whole cruise. However it appears to include port taxes and there is a tips included offer just now. The tips are only 5 pounds per person per day anyway. Currently that is about $8.50
On the website under “ships” there is a sample main dining room menu which looked very similar to HAL’s but no prime rib. It looked delicious - it is too long since I’ve taken a cruise! You can also see a wine list and bar list.
I did some dummy bookings. My favorite cabin was available in segments but I must call for back to back bookings. However my interpretation is that the deposit is 15% and that is NONrefundable. They say to take out insurance and I think you are allowed one change of cruise. Lots of things to find out for a U.K. based cruise line.

The price is for the whole cruise, not just a segment. I did a dummy booking myself for the cheapest interior cabin for 2 people. I’ve attached a screen shot. 🙂 

59 minutes ago, whogo said:

"Borealis, like her sister ship Bolette, has capacity for less than 1,400 guests..."

"Fewer" is the correct word to use here. I will not be sailing on a cruise line that exhibits such a cavalier attitude toward grammar. 

This comment got me laughing out loud! We must forgive them Mr Shakespeare, for they are Norwegian, and they know not what they do! 😂😂😂

D916E940-A186-43E3-97A5-D21429979A14.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

EXAMPLE DINNER MENU

Breads

Starters

Sun Ripened Avocado Fan with Sweet Grilled Red Peppers | Drizzled with Limoncello dressing

Prawns with Tomato Mousse | Juicy prawns with a smooth and lightly spiced mousse

Soups

Clear Beef Consommé with Tiny Vegetables | With a splash of port and a crisp cheese twist

Salads

House Salad | A selection of market fresh seasonal ingredients with a choice of honey mustard, balsamic, Caesar, thousand island or creamy garlic and herb dressings

Main Courses

Baked Fillet of Norwegian Salmon | Covered with a shrimp mousse, on a creamy truffle and asparagus risotto with mousseline sauce

Roast Lamb Loin 'Provencal' | Roasted and painted with Dijon mustard, topped with a crunchy herb and garlic crust, served with a natural jus, gratinated potatoes and seasonal vegetables

Beef 'Filet Mignon' | Grilled to your liking on a herb butter crouton, served with fondant potato, forest mushrooms, braised shallots and a Madeira jus

Fettuccine with Parma Ham and Smoked Duck | With a light mixed herb pesto and a parmesan crisp

Chilled Seafood Platter and Warm Dill Potatoes | Mussels, prawns, poached scallops and a smoked salmon purse filled with crab meat

Vegetable Tempura, Sushi Rolls and Soya Spiced Broth | Crisp Japanese battered vegetables, Californian sushi rolls and a miso soup

Always Available

Grilled fish of the day*, grilled chicken breast*, omelettes*, pasta with vine ripened tomato ragout 

All dishes can be served with a selection of daily well done vegetables, French fries, boiled or baked potatoes

Desserts

Crepes Suzette | A classic, with wonderfully rich Grand Marnier laced orange sauce, vanilla ice cream and toasted almond flakes

Creamy Chocolate Pot | With Amaretto macerated sweet dark cherries and a crisp shortbread biscuit

Ice Cream and Sorbets

A selection of British & International cheeses | Served with grapes, celery, radish & dried apricots

Ok, I'll take the fish and chips.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, sagavista said:

Remember the Borealis world cruise does not return to the United States so you have to make your own arrangements to fly back home with ALL the luggage.  You should factor that additional cost into the final cost of the voyage.

How much luggage do people usually take on a world cruise?  What's considered packing light for that amount of time?  (Genuinely curious as I am a light packer for most travel but have never taken a trip approaching that length....)

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

I can just hear the stream of abuse from Chef Gordon Ramsey 🙄👨‍🍳....'well done' implies overcooked.

I'm pretty sure that's a hangover from the (now mostly long-gone) days when British cuisine mainly featured a well-done roast with well-done potatoes and well-done veg.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

How much luggage do people usually take on a world cruise? 

Lots! It's not unheard of for a person to have 15 suitcases, plus perhaps some assorted cartons of things. 
Now there are people who don't take as many pieces, but 10 and up is sort of necessary. There are theme evenings, so something special to wear on each of those is packed. Many Gala nights, with all the accessories that go with formal wear (people do still dress up on Gala nights on World Cruises). Sufficient evening clothes for all those casual evenings, without getting sick of wearing the same things over again too often. And then the same thing with daywear---you don't want to get sick of the clothes. 

This last year had an itinerary that required clothes for extreme cold weather with Antarctica, as well as the blistering hot weather along the equator. And everything in between. 

When I disembarked from segments of the 2019 WC, at the end of the complete cruise, I saw passengers using an entire porter's rolling rack, piled high with their things. There wasn't so much as room for another carry-on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/1/2020 at 7:22 AM, Chrisifab said:

Hiya folks,

Just looking for feedback here. Fred Olsen bought the Rotterdam this year, as most of you know, and today they’ve launched their 2022 World Cruise itenary and pricing for the ship (now renamed Borealis).

It’s more or less the same itenary as Zaandam for 2022 world cruise, but half the price. Zaandam starts at £19,400. Borealis starts at £9,999.

That’s a huge price difference for what is essentially the same ship and itenary.

How many of you would consider 2022 with Fred Olsen on the old Rotterdam vs Zaandam with HAL?

I’m trying to figure out how long I’ve got before I have to jump in and book for a good cabin! 🥴

Frankly , I would choose the Zaandam.  However, if it wasthe former Amsterdam, I might be tempted to go Fred Olsen. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RuthC said:

Lots! It's not unheard of for a person to have 15 suitcases, plus perhaps some assorted cartons of things. 
Now there are people who don't take as many pieces, but 10 and up is sort of necessary. There are theme evenings, so something special to wear on each of those is packed. Many Gala nights, with all the accessories that go with formal wear (people do still dress up on Gala nights on World Cruises). Sufficient evening clothes for all those casual evenings, without getting sick of wearing the same things over again too often. And then the same thing with daywear---you don't want to get sick of the clothes. 

This last year had an itinerary that required clothes for extreme cold weather with Antarctica, as well as the blistering hot weather along the equator. And everything in between. 

When I disembarked from segments of the 2019 WC, at the end of the complete cruise, I saw passengers using an entire porter's rolling rack, piled high with their things. There wasn't so much as room for another carry-on. 

image.png.3b561d5f2647b08696bf84ca80f52a89.png

I can see how planning for such a variety of climates would be a challenge. I am not sure if I own 10 suitcases!  I think I will have to work up to this world cruise thing slowly....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Chrisifab said:

Are you sure it was Fred Olsen you sailed, and not CMV? 🥴

If you read my posts you would see that:  No, I have never sailed Fred. (Although I do intend to, the product does interest me)  

And yes, I have a couple (very enjoyable) trips on CMV.

My comments regarding the food were based on three different friend who ALL have multiple Fred sailings, (As well as many MANY other mainstream cruise line trips)  I was pretty careful to state that.  

And yes, I also enjoy Indian food,  (Until it gets "burn your stomach lining" hot) 

2 hours ago, sagavista said:

Remember the Borealis world cruise does not return to the United States so you have to make your own arrangements to fly back home with ALL the luggage.  You should factor that additional cost into the final cost of the voyage.

I wonder if there would be any way to make arrangements to join the cruise at Port Canaveral or Port Everglades?  At least then I would only have to fly one way...

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

How much luggage do people usually take on a world cruise?  What's considered packing light for that amount of time?  (Genuinely curious as I am a light packer for most travel but have never taken a trip approaching that length....)

For 113 days, I required three large suitcases, one carry-on bag, and one (to use the airline term) personal item (which was a HAL cloth type bag that they provide for guests).  I was over-packed, I discovered, because I regularly used my "free laundry" benefit.  I also shipped two medium sized boxes with personal toiletry items and over the counter type medicines and first aid supplies.  Most of those--with the exception of most of the medicines (i.e. Excedrin, first aid supplies, etc.)--returned home with me.  

19 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

EXAMPLE DINNER MENU

Breads

Starters

Soups

Salads

Main Courses

Always Available

Desserts

Ice Cream and Sorbets

The selections are better than on some menus that I have been offered aboard a HAL ship.  I'm impressed.