Anyone else just giving up on a cruise for a while?

Duanerice1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Yes but pax are choosing to rebook instead of refunding.   How it is happening, though important, is not as important as it is happening 

According to statements from the cruise lines about 40-45% are taking credits leaving 55-60% taking refunds.

While all three stated earlier this year that 2022 bookings were strong.  NCL stated a couple of weeks ago that bookings were weakening.  

3 minutes ago, nocl said:

According to statements from the cruise lines about 40-45% are taking credits leaving 55-60% taking refunds.

While all three stated earlier this year that 2022 bookings were strong.  NCL stated a couple of weeks ago that bookings were weakening.  

I do not take the position that FCCs are the driving force, that was in response to a reply given.   NCL does currently have the most extensive schedule reaching months beyond other lines and that may skew their view of weakening.    I am not saying the lines are not suffering , they clearly are but I don’t take the dim view of these lines others do.  Sure some lines are going to disappear as the industry had, in my view, over expanded.   That said, the former largest players will survive.   The industry will be transformed. But they are not scammers, frauds, cheats or uncaring, callous money grabbers.  If anyone thinks that they should never step foot on a ship.

13 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

That is exactly what the cruise lines are. They are arrogant, money grubbing corporate entites who have been busy downgrading and upcharging for years.

Looks good on the executive suite, not on the staff.

Why would you ever board a ship?   I truly don’t understand that.  It is dangerous to sleep  on top of 12,000 feet of water.  Me, I have to trust anyone I would sail with. If I thought they were that callous I would never set foot on the ship.  I had this view long before Covid.   

• Like 2

We couldn't deal with the uncertainties as the minute the weather starts getting cold, and winter is in view,  we need to start dreaming about our March vacation. We cancelled, rebooked for 2022 (Lift and Shift was a major downgrade for us), and are booking a splurgy AI in Riviera Maya - the splurge because - #2020.

We are really sad because we want to support the cruise lines, we want to bring funds to the ports, but we also need to consider our own mental well-being. That being said, the AI is dreamy and we're very excited about it. 

12 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

They are arrogant, money grubbing corporate entites

What Company is in business not to make money ?? 

The Consumer decides whether the value of the product is worth the expense. Example , Is it worth paying for a suite or just taking a cabin on " minnow " deck  ?  For us, we always take a cabin " on the hump " on deck 8 or 9 which suits us perfectly.

( It does seem like there are more people on CC that take a suite and find the value acceptable ).

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Argo. said:

Royal is offering cruises out of Singapore in Dec. on the Quantum... sailing at 50% capacity.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23639-here-are-royal-caribbean-s-new-december-cruises.html

I believe though that these short cruises are for residents of  Singapore only.   That's not to say that one could not be affected however there will be no guests on board from other countries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

What Company is in business not to make money ?? 

The Consumer decides whether the value of the product is worth the expense. Example , Is it worth paying for a suite or just taking a cabin on " minnow " deck  ?  For us, we always take a cabin " on the hump " on deck 8 or 9 which suits us perfectly.

( It does seem like there are more people on CC that take a suite and find the value acceptable ).

Pinboy, I agree. Making money is the point, it is always about the "howing" the money is made.

I really like your use of the word Consumer, it is a strong word connotating analysis and consideration. It is one of my favorite words.

Thanks for your post!

Have a great Thanksgiving with much adult beverages!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sakigemcam said:

We couldn't deal with the uncertainties as the minute the weather starts getting cold, and winter is in view,  we need to start dreaming about our March vacation. We cancelled, rebooked for 2022 (Lift and Shift was a major downgrade for us), and are booking a splurgy AI in Riviera Maya - the splurge because - #2020.

We are really sad because we want to support the cruise lines, we want to bring funds to the ports, but we also need to consider our own mental well-being. That being said, the AI is dreamy and we're very excited about it. 

Are you able to share the name of the AI?😀

The Airbus spokesperson recently said that they don't expect airline travel to return to pre-Covid levels until 2023 at the earliest, maybe even 2025.  Does anyone really expect that cruise lines will fare significantly better?

6 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

I’ve given up for the winter season 2021 and canceled my cruise. Way back in April I thought cruises would re start in a August and give me plenty of time to see how actual US cruises fare and the protocols in place before my 11/1 final payment date. Now no cruises until 12/1 if then (virus is already spiking again) so no way to see how it all goes. I don’t want to be one of the first on 1/30 to go out and see how it goes with a diverse set of passengers. The cruise line excursions only that are now required was also a deal breaker. I was thinking about Alaska in August but is that too soon also? Maybe. Right now 2/23/22 is my next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do not see a resumption of cruises until next Spring in Europe. I agree the Caribbean 2020-2021 winter season is probably toast. We already moved our September 2020 Greek Viking Ocean cruise to Next May on Celebrity and  I am confident that by that time a proven vaccine will be available and cruising will start back up. If crosslines are not sailing by next Spring they may be all bankrupt and cruising as we all know it will be a thing of the past.. We also are only going to fly for a cruise in First/Business class,  where there is more natural social distancing. I read something earlier today from CLIA saying that the resumption of cruising may require either instant at the dock Covid testing or that all passengers are tested negative within 72 hours of boarding if a proven vaccine is not available.

4 hours ago, mnocket said:

The Airbus spokesperson recently said that they don't expect airline travel to return to pre-Covid levels until 2023 at the earliest, maybe even 2025.  Does anyone really expect that cruise lines will fare significantly better?

That's extremely pessimistic. Granted, they may never return to pre-Covid levels even when it's under control and the majority of the people are vaccinated.  (Yeah, a pipe dream.)  People for the next few years, for most part, will probably quite reluctant to fly.  Who knows?

As far as the original question:  I'm not giving up.  I have a cruise booked for next October.  My final payment is due on July 29th, so we should definitely know by then if there's a viable vaccine or not.  If no vaccine, I cancel.  It's that simple.  I'll re-evaluate from there then.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mnocket said:

for one thing cruise lines are not as dependent on business travelers for a large portion of their revenue stream as airlines. with the fast adoption of zoom and other remote meeting systems business travel is expected to be permanently impacted. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nocl said:

with the fast adoption of zoom and other remote meeting systems business travel is expected to be permanently impacted. 

IMO--- In business , personal interaction is far better than videoconferencing and I would expect business travel to resume when deemed safe.  LOL---- more deals are made during a lunch meeting or after a round of golf.

• Like 2

Good for you hope you have a great time in Mexico. Our group of nine just returned Saturday from an AI in Cancun. Got out just before Gamma. No issues at Cancun international and when we arrived at our resorts, luggage sprayed and cleaned as well as our shoes and temperatures taken. Masks required inside until you sat down to eat. No masks required in the pool or pool bar. The Mexican government does ask that mask be worn outside of the resort, walking on sidewalks,city buses, etc. Have a celebrity cruise booked in December 2020 and March 2021. Again get away and have a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On 10/7/2020 at 5:09 PM, VACruiser123 said:

Nope, not gonna do it until sanity returns. On a cruise

1. NOT wearing a mask

2. NOT social distancing

3. NOT going to viewed as a pariah in a port

4. NOT going to be bothered by Covid Karen as I try to relax on vacation.

Just not down with a vacation plan that has those elements. Staycations as it turns out are very underrated. 

Depends on how badly one wants to cruise. Like many of us, I'm not crazy about the various restrictions you refer to, but I'll do it rather than stay home all the time. Staycations are fine - but having done it now since March I'm ready for something different. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pinboy said:

IMO--- In business , personal interaction is far better than videoconferencing and I would expect business travel to resume when deemed safe.  LOL---- more deals are made during a lunch meeting or after a round of golf.

some will resume, but not at the same level that existed before. In the past most people did not use video tools like zoom. Now pretty much everyone is using it and getting used to doing business that way. Prior to the outbreak maybe 10% of meetings, even within a company were done that way. After this is over I expect that 50% of meetings that would have required a flight will be done over a video tool of some kind. 

Unfortunately I had to golf at our board meetings, tossed my clubs when I retired. Since then have not agreed to sit on a board if golf was involved.

Golf used to be important, now its demographics in an aging, shrinking hobby. Tell a 20-30 year old that you want to do business over a round of golf and see what reaction you get.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, nocl said:

1---- more deals are made during a lunch meeting or after a round of golf.

2----Tell a 20-30 year old that you want to do business over a round of golf and see what reaction you get.

3---- tossed my clubs when I retired

Re # 1 --- I think I aged myself with that one. I probably should have said :

" Years ago many deals were done at lunch meetings or after a game of golf ". 

Re # 2 --  You are absolutely correct --- Not too many young guys/gals " hittin 'em " during weekdays and on weekends they prefer the 7:00 - 8:00 am times so they can get home to family .

Re # 3 --  What did you that for ?? I would think you now have more time to golf ? Did your handicap go up ??? 

Do what we do---- Cheat like hell so we go home thinking we really shot that 82 !!!! 

6 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Re # 1 --- I think I aged myself with that one. I probably should have said :

" Years ago many deals were done at lunch meetings or after a game of golf ". 

Re # 2 --  You are absolutely correct --- Not too many young guys/gals " hittin 'em " during weekdays and on weekends they prefer the 7:00 - 8:00 am times so they can get home to family .

Re # 3 --  What did you that for ?? I would think you now have more time to golf ? Did your handicap go up ??? 

Do what we do---- Cheat like hell so we go home thinking we really shot that 82 !!!! 

never had patience for the game. Only played during board meeting golf outings, which fortunately best ball format with 3 players on a team.

As I used to tell people I only needed one club because no matter which one I used the ball would always go the same distance. When ever I got a business invitation to play golf from a vendor I would send a subordinate who for a while was a pro on the lpga tour.

8 minutes ago, nocl said:

best ball format with 3 players on a team.

Where I come from that format is called a " Scramble ". 

I think we are off topic ,but, I'll leave you with this about golf---- 

" The ball will always go where you hit it ".

1 minute ago, Pinboy said:

Where I come from that format is called a " Scramble ". 

I think we are off topic ,but, I'll leave you with this about golf---- 

" The ball will always go where you hit it ".

which in my case was always Into the closest water.

• Haha 1