The Daily for Friday Oct 9, 2020

richwmn

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Everyone knows that smoke detectors start the "low battery beeping" while you are in bed sleeping!  Never at a more convenient time (like during the day)!!!  Never fails.

This reminded me of something else.  When we were gone last fall for 75 days our wonderful neighbors checked on the house for us.  They told me that they replaced a smoke alarm battery that was beeping -- you guessed it, in the master bedroom.  I love my neighbors! 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Everyone knows that smoke detectors start the "low battery beeping" while you are in bed sleeping!  Never at a more convenient time (like during the day)!!!  Never fails.

The latest smoke detectors have a permanent battery so that won't happen and I really recommend upgrading at least one of the detectors with the new style.  I replaced one of mine and still have one old one.

Roy

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

OMGOSH!! That has happened to us also!

Talk about a heart attack ready to happen!!

Especially during the middle of the night and our little Paisley howling!!! Now David has bought super duper ones from Home Depot! 
Have a good day.

Denise😊

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

The latest smoke detectors have a permanent battery so that won't happen and I really recommend upgrading at least one of the detectors with the new style.  I replaced one of mine and still have one old one.

Roy

I should have added this to my post too.  This year DH has replaced all of ours, yay!

• Like 5

I can't believe that with 8 days at sea on the Canmar Courage I never took a photo of my cabin but it was spacious and comfortable.  They are in the tower area under the bridge and were built as officers' quarters with some going unused depending on the number of officers.  We normally had 24/7 access to the bridge although I'm sure there were a few times when we had to stay away during special maneuvers.   There was no real TV although there was a TV where we could play movies. The 5 passengers We were free to walk around the tower below the bridge but had very limited places to go outside on deck.  Meals were served at set times in the officers mess; there was just one table so we dined either before or after the officers.  There were not a lot of choices but the food was good.

In addition to our cabins and the bridge there were 2 main places where we could go.  One was the lounge (the photo of my fellow travelers posted yesterday was taken there) which had some games for amusement.  The other, on one of the lowest decks, was a small gym without much other than a stationary bike.  Exercise during the voyage was either the bike or the stairs going up and down the tower (there was also an elevator):

wrld0590.thumb.jpg.50d9e86ed980a986ae8ab9c4cac7a0b4.jpg

Early in the voyage we had a muster drill and they opened up one of the lifeboats for us to have a look inside.  There was a boat on each side of the ship:

wrld0550.thumb.jpg.ae16850ec26b81321aae644d5e905fa0.jpg

Only the Captain had internet and there was little contact with the outside world.  He did net us know about the start of the Iraq liberation.

People who talk about HAL being quiet have obviously never been on a freighter.  I think we had 2 "activities" during the voyage.  One was a tour of the cargo deck where we got an up close up look at how the containers are stacked and how they are all locked together.  The other was a tour of the engine (not engine control, actual engine) room,  There was just a single engine (obviously reliability is a necessity) and a single prop.  The room was absolutely spotless.  Hard hats were required for both tours as well as ear plugs for the engine room (perhaps more on that later).

We never encountered rough seas (much to the kids disappointment) but had ice for a couple of days and several days of thick fog.  The ship went to Antwerp and Hamburg but all 5 of us got off in Antwerp.

Roy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

This reminded me of something else.  When we were gone last fall for 75 days our wonderful neighbors checked on the house for us.  They told me that they replaced a smoke alarm battery that was beeping -- you guessed it, in the master bedroom.  I love my neighbors! 

That happened to us when we were on Maui --- drove our neighbor nuts till he called us & we told him where a key was.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I can't believe that with 8 days at sea on the Canmar Courage I never took a photo of my cabin but it was spacious and comfortable.  They are in the tower area under the bridge and were built as officers' quarters with some going unused depending on the number of officers.  We normally had 24/7 access to the bridge although I'm sure there were a few times when we had to stay away during special maneuvers.   There was no real TV although there was a TV where we could play movies. The 5 passengers We were free to walk around the tower below the bridge but had very limited places to go outside on deck.  Meals were served at set times in the officers mess; there was just one table so we dined either before or after the officers.  There were not a lot of choices but the food was good.

In addition to our cabins and the bridge there were 2 main places where we could go.  One was the lounge (the photo of my fellow travelers posted yesterday was taken there) which had some games for amusement.  The other, on one of the lowest decks, was a small gym without much other than a stationary bike.  Exercise during the voyage was either the bike or the stairs going up and down the tower (there was also an elevator):

wrld0590.thumb.jpg.50d9e86ed980a986ae8ab9c4cac7a0b4.jpg

Early in the voyage we had a muster drill and they opened up one of the lifeboats for us to have a look inside.  There was a boat on each side of the ship:

wrld0550.thumb.jpg.ae16850ec26b81321aae644d5e905fa0.jpg

Only the Captain had internet and there was little contact with the outside world.  He did net us know about the start of the Iraq liberation.

People who talk about HAL being quiet have obviously never been on a freighter.  I think we had 2 "activities" during the voyage.  One was a tour of the cargo deck where we got an up close up look at how the containers are stacked and how they are all locked together.  The other was a tour of the engine (not engine control, actual engine) room,  There was just a single engine (obviously reliability is a necessity) and a single prop.  The room was absolutely spotless.  Hard hats were required for both tours as well as ear plugs for the engine room (perhaps more on that later).

We never encountered rough seas (much to the kids disappointment) but had ice for a couple of days and several days of thick fog.  The ship went to Antwerp and Hamburg but all 5 of us got off in Antwerp.

Roy

Roy last night I thought the same thing that where was the picture of your cabin?

WOW no internet only the Captain!! Back then internet wasn’t as savvy then LOL!!

I guess a good book would be in order! Was there any place where you could at least enjoy sitting outside at all? 
Did they have like wine and beer to serve you? Snacks ?

Thanks Roy

Denise😊

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Roy last night I thought the same thing that where was the picture of your cabin?

WOW no internet only the Captain!! Back then internet wasn’t as savvy then LOL!!

I guess a good book would be in order! Was there any place where you could at least enjoy sitting outside at all? 
Did they have like wine and beer to serve you? Snacks ?

Thanks Roy

Denise😊

Wow.  A bunch of questions and not many answers.  I THINK beer and wine were available but since I don't drink it didn't register.  I don't remember anything about snacks but I think there was a small shop, probably with limited hours, and fresh fruit.  I'm also surprised I don't remember much about coffee but strongly suspect it was available 24/7 on the bridge.

There was some limited deck space but it was just painted metal:

wrld0450.thumb.jpg.9b43c77359c518b37704340d2b76670c.jpg

Sitting out on deck was not likely to happen much anyway since it was March quite far up in the North Atlantic and quite a wind chill.  I did not see chairs of any kind although a couple might have been brought out where the weather was more conducive.

Roy

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Wow.  A bunch of questions and not many answers.  I THINK beer and wine were available but since I don't drink it didn't register.  I don't remember anything about snacks but I think there was a small shop, probably with limited hours, and fresh fruit.  I'm also surprised I don't remember much about coffee but strongly suspect it was available 24/7 on the bridge.

There was some limited deck space but it was just painted metal:

wrld0450.thumb.jpg.9b43c77359c518b37704340d2b76670c.jpg

Sitting out on deck was not likely to happen much anyway since it was March quite far up in the North Atlantic and quite a wind chill.  I did not see chairs of any kind although a couple might have been brought out where the weather was more conducive.

Roy

Thanks Roy👍👍👍 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Roy for sharing your adventures with us.  You should have a publisher.   In the 1960's my aunt, a retired school teacher from Florida and avid cruiser, met a freighter captain and traveled on his ship with him many times for several years.  She would meet the ship in some faraway port and ride wherever it was going often Asia, for maybe a month at a time.  I haven't thought about that in a long time.  She was quite a character and sent postcards from all over. None still exist unfortunately.   Looking forward to the next installment. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Loving the “Tales of Freighter Travels.”  Also the t-shirt—what a motto for 2020!

Ray, it is so nice you include me on celebrating, but I am truly just working the Red Cross mission which is caring for folks who are evacuated because of the fires.  I am just a very Tiny cog in the wheel.  I work with the government and fire officials.  And this volunteering isn’t special, it is just my passion and I love it.  Even if I don’t Post daily, I read daily.  I need this wonderful place for my sanity.

It is so beautiful here, except for smoke.  I truly love fall weather, fall colors, and the “breather” between summer heat and winter.

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

Loving the “Tales of Freighter Travels.”  Also the t-shirt—what a motto for 2020!

Ray, it is so nice you include me on celebrating, but I am truly just working the Red Cross mission which is caring for folks who are evacuated because of the fires.  I am just a very Tiny cog in the wheel.  I work with the government and fire officials.  And this volunteering isn’t special, it is just my passion and I love it.  Even if I don’t Post daily, I read daily.  I need this wonderful place for my sanity.

It is so beautiful here, except for smoke.  I truly love fall weather, fall colors, and the “breather” between summer heat and winter.

Have a great day everyone.

Just ask those fire & government officials just how unimportant you are.

Or better yet, ask one of the evacuees you are helping - one who is still dazed from having his or her world turned upside down. And there you are helping them to get their feet back on solid ground. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Just ask those fire & government officials just how unimportant you are.

Or better yet, ask one of the evacuees you are helping - one who is still dazed from having his or her world turned upside down. And there you are helping them to get their feet back on solid ground. 

Amen

Roy

• Like 3

I'm with the people saying it's been a Curious Events Year. 😛 I remembered that it was Fire Prevention Day this week, when they were talking on the radio about an escape plan. Hadn't thought about that since I left teaching. I had DDs leftover pizza yesterday, so tonight it will be chicken fingers and fries. I'm going to keep the meal suggestion for another day. LOL on the quote. Jacqui, I want that shirt!

It's another beautiful day in SW Ontario. Picked up some veggies for dinner tomorrow. We're having our bubble for Thanksgiving dinner-3 of the grands (2-4-6). As my DD who lives with us said...."gonna be loud". Luckily, they will be outside for most of the day.

Thanks to everyone adding to the thread. Blessings for a wonderful day, evening and weekend!

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear your mask.

• Like 7

Good afternoon all and thanks for Rich's updates and Roy's lists that they keep every day.  I have not been on the thread for a couple of days and know that I missed you all.  We had our pizza last night, today's dinner is take out, supporting our local restaurants who are taking huge hits from the Pandemic.  More Restrictions  being imposed in our Province today as the numbers are way above where they should be.   Fire prevention is indeed important and worthy of celebrating every day.  We Canadians  will be celebrating our Thanksgiving this weekend, we have so very many things to be thankful for.  My best to all.  🍁🍁🍁

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

Jacqui, I want that shirt!

OK, i totally confess that a friend posted this on FB and it was actually an ad for a company that makes the shirt.

I can go looking if people really want it but I don’t want to be accused of slugging a website.  I thought it was pretty cool though so I couldn’t resist 😉 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1