The Daily for Monday Oct 12, 2020

richwmn

28 minutes ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

We would love to have both of you. After this virus has been eradicated might be better timing. And if you have a private jet, we have an airport here in Culpeper, LOL! And you don't have to do dishes. Wine is like Paris: always a good idea, LOL!

John and I want to come too!  We are within driving distance but I'm afraid I'm miss dinnertime!  I have wine too.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

We love this table! It is quartersawn white oak and is big, it can handle ten with no problem. The top is one piece - no leaves. We bought it in Bowmanville, Ontario, a lovely town east of Toronto near the 401. We got a really good deal - it had been on the showroom floor for a long time & they wanted to get rid of it. It was probably too big for most folks. Luckily, we had a perfect spot for it. 

The runner in the picture came from St. Remy de Provence, purchased during a stop on our 2018 Koningsdam transatlantic.

Is that a wooden vase/carafe or a pottery one?  That and the runner are such gorgeous fall/Thanksgiving pieces on top of that table.  And the simple place settings allow the other decor to be stars of the show!

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, TheKingD said:

John and I want to come too!  We are within driving distance but I'm afraid I'm miss dinnertime!  I have wine too.

Again, to be safe, we should probably wait for the virus to be conquered. So glad others like the idea of leg of lamb. As you know, it can be one of 'those' foods that not everyone appreciates. Wine is always a good idea, LOL!

• Like 8

Thanks to everyone making this thread so popular! Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian compatriots, and to those celebrating in the States, Happy Indigenous People's/Columbus Day. Happy Days for everyone not celebrating anything special. 🥂

I've had my moment of frustration already today.....wrote the beginning of my reply to this thread, changed to the next page, and every thing was gone. Sigh. And then....hours later....it has returned. rofl

We'll be eating leftovers today. Good thing cold turkey sandwiches are my favourite part of cooking a turkey!

Great October cookies @StLouisCruisers.

@fatcat04 Happy Birthday to your little.

@Overhead Fred, that table and runner are stunning!

I'll take any leftover pumpkin cheesecake, @Marmot@Sea 😋 So yummy!

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! We had our Thanksgiving dinner last night. We woke up to snow on the hills for the first time this season. As we head home over the pass today, I’m hoping the new snow doesn’t bring us any Moment of Frustration! 
enjoy the holiday today, whatever it may be called in your neck of the woods!

Noooooo! 😱 I'm not ready for that yet!

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

As part of the pre surgical routine Ellen had to have a Covid test today.

The appointment was for 9.45am this morning and we arrived at 9.30 am and she was seen immediately. It was a drive thru' system.  The samples from nose and throat were collected and then we had to head to another clinic for a pelvic scan.

Covid test results received at 5.30pm today. That was impressive. (result was negative).

Good to get that over with. Prayers for a successful and minimal pain surgery.

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Happy thanksgiving everyone,  I am thankful for everyone who makes this such a warm place!   I am thankful that my family is well although the celebration will be different this year.  

image.jpeg

Gorgeous! The colours have been spectacular this year, haven't they?

Here's to a wonderful day wherever you are.

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask!

• Like 11

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

As part of the pre surgical routine Ellen had to have a Covid test today.

The appointment was for 9.45am this morning and we arrived at 9.30 am and she was seen immediately. It was a drive thru' system.  The samples from nose and throat were collected and then we had to head to another clinic for a pelvic scan.

Covid test results received at 5.30pm today. That was impressive. (result was negative).

Excellent news on the results.  So glad they are quick for you 🙂 👍 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheKingD said:

Is that a wooden vase/carafe or a pottery one?  That and the runner are such gorgeous fall/Thanksgiving pieces on top of that table.  And the simple place settings allow the other decor to be stars of the show!

The "vase" is a turned wooden piece with inlayed turquoise and malachite. It was made in Green Valley, AZ by someone at the woodworking club in the retirement community where my folks used to live. 

• Like 4

I just want to let this group know that we have decided we need to take a road trip to Missouri to visit DH's 94 year old Mother who is in a senior living facility.  Her dementia has worsened and we haven't been able to visit all year due to restrictions caused by the COVID crisis.  But due to her condition and our distance from her we have received permission to see her (suitably attired in PPE and after a health screening).  So I may not be on Cruise Critic for the rest of the week.  Don't want anyone to worry!  LOL  😷

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I just want to let this group know that we have decided we need to take a road trip to Missouri to visit DH's 94 year old Mother who is in a senior living facility.  Her dementia has worsened and we haven't been able to visit all year due to restrictions caused by the COVID crisis.  But due to her condition and our distance from her we have received permission to see her (suitably attired in PPE and after a health screening).  So I may not be on Cruise Critic for the rest of the week.  Don't want anyone to worry!  LOL  😷

Oh, bless your heart!  I wish you the best, and we are kindred spirits in this adventure.  My DH's 101 year old mother is also in a senior living facility, and they have just started to let visitors in, with lots of rules, and we have to make an appointment.  We have had some FaceTime with her, but I think that may have confused her, and we will hopefully get to see her this week.  Please take good care, and report back in when you have a chance.  This has to be really hard on people like those dear ladies whose worlds had already gotten so small.  

• Like 12

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We'll pray you have a safe trip and that your visit brings everyone some peace and comfort.

Lori & George

• Like 7

Safe travels!

• Like 5

Thanks for letting us know and our prayers for you both and your MIL.

Bless you for doing this ❤️ and caring.  

I am so glad you have permission.  Stay safe, safe travels and I hope your visit brings a it of joy to her life ❤️ 

• Like 5

Thanks to everyone for such sweet, caring and compassionate comments.  At our age many of us find ourselves in this position.  I hope she enjoys our time together and hasn't forgotten us.  We will just have to keep reminding her of those who love her.  My two children are hoping to set up visits in the next few weeks, and that is not an easy thing to do while teaching (in classroom/lecture hall, not virtually) in distant states.  DH and I were just saying, we have the best kids ever!😇

• Like 10

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Safe travels and prayers for a memorable visit for you and DH

• Like 3

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I just want to let this group know that we have decided we need to take a road trip to Missouri to visit DH's 94 year old Mother who is in a senior living facility.  ...  So I may not be on Cruise Critic for the rest of the week.  Don't want anyone to worry!

Take care. Drive safely. Etc. (We're all parents giving advice here because we care!)

• Like 4

12 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Retired now but I was a US federal employee.  When I used to tell friends I was off work for the Columbus Day Holiday they would seem confused.......  🙂   Most have not heard of it.

And the Monday holiday is actually the correct date - from when it used to stay on the 12th.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2020 at 4:00 AM, richwmn said:

In the US, today is Columbus Day - a national holiday. I did not include it in the main post due to the many ideas that have come out in the last few years about the holiday and if it should be celebrated.

In any case, banks and government offices are closed today. Hope everyone has a great day.

I totally forgot about Columbus Day. No wonder I didn’t get mail yesterday!  🥱