The Daily for Tuesday Oct 13, 2020

richwmn

Continuing on a bit on my 2003 trip, I was in the UK when March turned to April.  I think changes on the fly have figured prominently in this narrative and this will be no exception.  My hotel in London was the Barkston Gardens in Earls Court for the night of March 30 and an overnight train to Scotland for March 31.

wrld0830.thumb.jpg.a2e105168127aebb00a13ce6b077f4a0.jpg

For my day in London I took a short trip to Cambridge, a city with a very nice canal infrastructure:

wrld0870.thumb.jpg.88ccb215cf10d72cd36b29c725f55e84.jpg

After arriving at Euston for my train I found it was cancelled due to a strike.  A station worker suggested a hotel which was more or less midway between Euston and Kings Cross (where the day trains left).  It was all day on the train to Inverness, lengthened considerably due to mechanical problems with the train.

I had time just a bit of time in Inverness before a train to Edinburgh the ext day.

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all, and thank you to Rich and Roy for hosting the party!

Pat's favourite thing in the whole world is pasta carbonara, but he would want it to be in Italy, so we will stick with the turkey leftovers tonight.  I think I will cream some over rice.   Then I should be able to make soup with everything left. It's a good few days when I don't have to think about meals... 

I couldn't believe it was 7 when I got up, it is so dark.  Winter is here - it poured and  blew all night, and probably will continue all day.  Leaves litter the ground.  Tuesday is our Sunday, so we are off to church shortly (masks and no singing, I believe the bishop has ordained).  Then a coffee, and home to have an appointment with our PCC and book a cruise.  Exciting!  As DD says, TTYL!🙃

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning all, and thank you to Rich and Roy for hosting the party!

Pat's favourite thing in the whole world is pasta carbonara, but he would want it to be in Italy, so we will stick with the turkey leftovers tonight.  I think I will cream some over rice.   Then I should be able to make soup with everything left. It's a good few days when I don't have to think about meals... 

I remember Pat really liking the pasta Carbonara  at the very small bakery / restaurant on the Via Veneto in Rome .I think he inhaled that huge plate !   The day before we went to the Opera Serenades at the Palazzo Doria Pamphilj and than the next day to get on board the Nieuw Statendam for her Premier Voyage .

Great memories Ann ! 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

I remember Pat really liking the pasta Carbonara  at the very small bakery / restaurant on the Via Veneto in Rome .I think he inhaled that huge plate !   The day before we went to the Opera Serenades at the Palazzo Doria Pamphilj and than the next day to get on board the Nieuw Statendam for her Premier Voyage .

Great memories Ann ! 

You haven’t posted much lately.  I hope you’re doing ok.

Roy 

• Thanks 1

Good morning all! An interesting selection of days today. For me, Face Your Fears Day is most fitting. DHL says The Luggage has cleared Canada Customs and should be delivered today! This should be like Christmas for us, so great excitement! Or it won’t be - hence face your fears.

• Like 9

Good morning all! 
We’re having a wet week and today wind gusts up to 50 mph are predicted. Good day to stay in!

Yesterday I finished a counted cross stitch I’ve been working on. It’s called “Frederick the Literate”. Now to frame it! I have a few others to do when the weather deteriorates this winter!

Stay healthy and wear your masks. 🙂🙂

15D6DE30-E761-4210-AA51-E26967C28FFC.jpeg

• Like 21

9 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all! 
We’re having a wet week and today wind gusts up to 50 mph are predicted. Good day to stay in!

Yesterday I finished a counted cross stitch I’ve been working on. It’s called “Frederick the Literate”. Now to frame it! I have a few others to do when the weather deteriorates this winter!

Stay healthy and wear your masks. 🙂🙂

15D6DE30-E761-4210-AA51-E26967C28FFC.jpeg

We did this as a jigsaw puzzle. 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

You haven’t posted much lately.  I hope you’re doing ok.

Roy 

We are just doing fine Roy , thank you for asking . I watch almost daily of what is going on in the cruise world and what our cruise friends are doing . We really miss life on board those wonderful HAL ships with the best crews , our cruise friends and also miss  the joys of life at sea.

Thank you and many others who keep Cruise Critic going . 

Tony :classic_biggrin:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

I asked for the recipe for one of the chilled soups.  Got home and found out it was for 96 servings.  Spent quite a bit of time with the calculator figuring out how to shave it down.  LOL

That would be a challenge.  Congrats on doing it.  Which soup did you get the recipe for?  

• Like 1

Good afternoon! I'm not sure about International Skeptics Day, but every day should be Good Samaritan (or random acts of kindness) Day. I'm afraid I won't be celebrating that third day. LOL

I ❤️ the quote! And the meal suggestion sounds great! It might be turkey carbonara though, using up the last of the bird.

We have another mild (17ºC) day today. It is beautifully sunny and the trees are absolutely gorgeous. We're cleaning the garage for some work being done next week, so we drove into the city to get rid of our wine bottles (and DSs beer bottles) and 5 bags of crushed cans. DH now has a wee bit of $ in his pocket.

After all the kerfluffle of the weekend, I'm enjoying the quiet.

Blessings to all!

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask!

• Like 9

Good Afternoon.

Woke up to horrific rain, followed by bright sunshine mixed with rain.  Now we are back to dull gray and driving rain.

I too miss the cold soups.  This photographs was taken on the way to Alaska in 2013.  Sure wish I had written down what variety it was.

1148822_10201753433422779_872768249_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=wqYc0r7OND8AX_qH8DQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr4-1.fna&oh=828b6878ee9d96d6141251fd5c094ec7&oe=5FAA4ACD

Val

• Like 7

Good afternoon everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. Thank you for your lists Roy. 

Carbonara is a favorite but not sure what we are having tonight yet. I did make the Honey Garlic Glazed Salmon from the meal suggestion the other day. I liked it but the soy sauce was a bit too much, next time I will use less.  I have a lot of salmon in my freezer so am always looking for something new to make. My favorite is salmon tacos. 

It’s still hot here 🥵. I really don’t mind the heat but it would be nice to have temps in the 80’s. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Marmot@Sea said:

too miss the cold soups.  This photographs was taken on the way to Alaska in 2013.  Sure wish I had written down what variety it was.

1148822_10201753433422779_872768249_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=wqYc0r7OND8AX_qH8DQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr4-1.fna&oh=828b6878ee9d96d6141251fd5c094ec7&oe=5FAA4ACD

I bought a HAL cookbook a while back:

91E4C636-18AC-4044-A80E-54E18E3C033C.thumb.jpeg.1b41a07e980e1ca81c17e3eecfc08de2.jpeg

I think there were four cookbooks in total. I don’t remember what cruise it was but a least 9-10 years ago. Anyway, there is a soup section with:

“Chilled Raspberry Soup”
“Chilled Sour Cherry Soup”

”Apple and Pear Gazpacho”

”Black Bean Soup with Mango Relish “

”Dutch Pea Soup”

”Roasted Shallot and Butternut Squash Soup”

So, if anyone wants one of those recipes I would be happy to take a picture and post it for them. 

Sharon

• Like 5

9 hours ago, summer slope said:

Negroni:

Ingredients

• 1 ounce gin
  • 1 ounce Campari
  • 1 ounce sweet vermouth
  • Garnish: orange peel

Forgot to mention that this is DH favorite cocktail. 

7634731D-A246-4C48-B056-036837688705.thumb.jpeg.e92e2a24b355864051315646b587637f.jpeg

Oosterdam Main Dining Room on embarkation day June 2019. Note the drink in the lower right corner. 

• Like 5

🌺Needed to let you all know I said my goodbyes with my Dear sweet friend yesterday😢 The medication is not taking and she wanted to talk. Today she is in a better place. Enough said. Thank you to all with the prayers and I am so grateful to all that listens to me even when I would ramble. Today is sad and pray for the family . I am going to take some time off and I will be back soon. Love to all and to my sisters Ann and Joy!

I was going to send a picture to all of Paisley right when I got the call earlier! 
I still want to post her. 🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

image.thumb.jpeg.d681016651e8969f31cce3e29339c1e6.jpeg
Denise😞

• Like 15

Greetings, all. I agree that every day should be Good Samaritan Day or at least try to leave those you encounter feeling better than you found them.   I think 2020 has made many of us face our fears.  I remember last April when I absolutely had to go out and wondering if that was the trip that was going to kill me.  

Matt and Laura are doing well.  Their symptoms are still mild.  Matt reports that they are eating healthy foods since they can't taste anything and can't enjoy the fun stuff.  Thank you for continued prayers.  

Meanwhile, I am taking advantage of the great weather here - sunny and high 60's.   The pictures are from yesterday's hike.

6ECB5D8F-364D-4CDE-AA6D-FBB8A324FC32 (2).JPG

BCFE57BD-AA4D-45BE-B955-929108F01D83 (2).JPG

C761C9F3-6811-438C-BBBC-C0FA36F20822 (2).JPG

• Like 11