Volunteers? Anyone know how to do this?

Besides the doctors note saying you have no pre conditions, I read you have to be 18 or over and be prepared to simulate a outbreak onboard. So be prepared possibly to be quarantined alone in a cabin, if it's you they want to pretend who has it, or your own cabin. 

The cruiseline must give you a written warning beforehand.

Sounds fun. Lol

• Like 2

I posted on another board that if you read the CC article about this you might not be so eager to volunteer LOL

"Simulated voyages are conducted with "volunteers" to assess health, safety and operational protocols. Judging by the word "simulated", these would likely occur alongside in port, or on short jaunts out to sea".

and

"These extensive run-throughs will act as a sort of muster drill, but on a vastly larger scale".

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5700/

15 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

I posted on another board that if you read the CC article about this you might not be so eager to volunteer LOL

"Simulated voyages are conducted with "volunteers" to assess health, safety and operational protocols. Judging by the word "simulated", these would likely occur alongside in port, or on short jaunts out to sea".

and

"These extensive run-throughs will act as a sort of muster drill, but on a vastly larger scale".

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5700/

Which is why it would be probably be mostly the ships crew.  However, wan’t it mentioned in the document, that people can’t be forced to volunteer?  So I wonder if that applies to employees, or if their contract overrides that.  I wonder if a cruise line could get away with that, by just sailing with a full crew and no one else, and have them perform the tests as a function of their job.

Edited by TheBucketLister
  • Like 1

The FAA does not allow evacuation test volunteers to have any special knowledge of the procedure beforehand.  A test using all volunteer flight attendants wouldn't be very realistic.

Since all crew are trained in a variety of safety procedures, I don't think they would meet a similar standard.  A lot of shoreside employees would probably be ok.

To make up any difference, I'd think they'd stare with business partners (travel agents, suppliers, terminal staff), reliable customers (high status, future bookings) and finally an open call if needed (but probably not).

1 minute ago, boatseller said:

The FAA does not allow evacuation test volunteers to have any special knowledge of the procedure beforehand.  A test using all volunteer flight attendants wouldn't be very realistic.

Since all crew are trained in a variety of safety procedures, I don't think they would meet a similar standard.  A lot of shoreside employees would probably be ok.

To make up any difference, I'd think they'd stare with business partners (travel agents, suppliers, terminal staff), reliable customers (high status, future bookings) and finally an open call if needed (but probably not).

Richard Fain and Michael Bayley have already stated that they will be using staff.  This is a bit different then a flight safety simulation

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Richard Fain and Michael Bayley have already stated that they will be using staff.  This is a bit different then a flight safety simulation

"A lot of shoreside employees would probably be ok."

Yes.  The big three & Disney have enough Florida active/furloughed employees to support multiple tests.  MSC & Virgin may have to get creative or just borrow some local employees from other lines (no, this won't be a problem).

However, they still maybe required to have some number of unaffiliated volunteers.

3 minutes ago, boatseller said:

maybe required to have some number of unaffiliated volunteers.

Exactly.  We don't know and can't compare it to what the airlines are doing for their safety tests.  Royal runs their lifeboat safety drills with only their own staff which is the closest comparison that I can think of.

I can't imagine being that desperate for a vacation that I would be a guinea pig for an industry that doesn't know what it's doing.

Damn, I love cruising, but let's just accept the fact that cruising as we know it is currently nonexistent.  Maybe it'll be back in 2022, but if you can't find a more appealing alternative right now, Hell, you're not even trying!

• Like 3