The Daily for Friday Nov 6, 2020

richwmn

today is Marooned without a Compass Day, National Nacho Day, and Saxophone Day

Linus:    I guess it's wrong always to be worrying about tomorrow.  Maybe we should think only about today.
Charlie Brown:   No, that's giving up.  I'm still hoping that yesterday will get better.

Old age is the most unexpected of things that can happen to a man.
        -- Trotsky

Meal suggestion for today - Polenta Cakes With Sautéed Mushrooms

Drink of the Day - Black Russian

Wine of the day - Terre del Barolo Barolo Undicicomuni Arnaldo Rivera vintage 2013

at Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Willemstad eta 11/7
Oosterdam destination Sint Eustatius eta 11/7

Caracas Bay
Eurodam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam
Zuiderdam

Panama Anchorage Pacific
Koningsdam

Torquay Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam
Westerdam
Zaandam

1106World.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the Daily Report.

Love that quote.

Interesting collection of days.  I have many days lately, that I feel lost without a compass.

Another unseasonably mild day up here.  Lots of sunshine and a high of 16C (60F).  The average temperature for this time of year is 8C (46F).    We will enjoy it.

The meal suggestion sounds interesting, but I think we'll have lasagna, which will go well with the wine suggestion.

A Black Russian sounds good too.

Praying for everyone.  Cheers to all celebrating.

Stay safe.

• Like 15

Good  morning Rich.  Thank you for your maps.  Love seeing where our ships are.

Love Nacho's and DD played the Saxophone in HS.

Love the quote.  Love Charlie Brown. And Trotsky was so right.

Meal suggestions sounds good, will have to research it.

Black Russian:

Main alcohol: Vodka

Ingredients: 1 2/3 oz (5 parts) Vodka, 2/3 oz (2 parts) Coffee liqueur
Preparation: Pour the ingredients into an old fashioned glass filled with ice cubes. Stir gently.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice

Prayers and toasting to all!  Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

• Like 14

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  I'd hate to be lost without a compass (or GPS), will pass on the nachos, but love the Sax.  Two more great quotes.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Blueberry Soup, Sauteed Veal Tenderloin, and Strawberry Crisp as served on the Elegant Explorer October 6, 2017.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Cruisin single’s county

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

California Wildfires–may progress continue

Patience and healing for the USA

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Welcome to the Daily, Red Haired Lady

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Fall colors

New Cruise Critic format now with truncated sgnatures

Ballot counters

Norseh20's planned family get-together

Virtual school–Our fogged in Eastern shore is doing online classes today rather than cancelling the morning.

And Mrs Vmax excellent checkup

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

That’s an interesting combination of days.  I’m sure a lot of us have felt marooned without a compass some of the time this year.

I‘ve always loved that Charlie Brown quote.

Trotsky certainly was right on the old age. Many of us find it hard to accept we are old:

FD50DE68-8EFF-4F61-A10F-15A8E06A184E.jpeg.054581a8ce5bb2551b13e35ca72c6d61.jpeg

Not sure what the meal will be tonight, but it won’t be polenta 😉 Roy’s suggestion sounds like a good one. 

Haven’t had a Black Russian in years.  One would be nice on a ship.

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for all those who need them.

Have a great TGIF everyone.  Stay safe and dont’ forget your masks.😷 

• Like 19

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Would you help the vote counters in your state finish their onerous task?  Boy, we are going to learn some huge lessons from this election - if it is ever over. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Another red wine, but for those of us who like red wine, we might want to look for it.

I have a bit of a “marooned without a compass” feeling right now. Love nachos & the sound of the sax! I have a tough time giving up hope, so that first quote hits home for me. I still am waiting to be surprised.

I have never made polenta cakes. I wonder how fool-proof they are for the novice? Another drink of the day that I have had. Maybe I am not as out of touch as I thought.

Thank you for our lists Roy!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

Count every vote!

This excellent rated red from Piedmont, Italy has prices starting at $24.99. What a great description - it even has a long life!

#54 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018 

Ruby red in color, this wine offers a base of floral aromas enriched with spicy notes. On the palate, it is well-balanced, with good acidity, rich tannins and a silky texture. Persistent, wide and rich.

WS93
Wine Spectator: The sweet fruit and solid structure play off each other as this evolves. Starts with floral, cherry, strawberry and licorice flavors, melding into the firm, resonant tannins as the finish extends. Complex, balanced and set for a long life. Best from 2022 through 2036. Tasted twice, with consistent notes.

• Like 15

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Great Charlie Brown quote - I've been seeing some really funny ones with Piglet and Pooh lately.   Unfortunately, I've never learned the fine art of using a compass, something I would like to, though.  Love nachos, and am grateful that DH doesn't play the sax; 4 guitars and a stupid accordion are enough.

I'm not a fan of polenta, and could easily go with Roy's suggestion, but will have to try making last night's dinner tonight.  It was such a nice day yesterday, we hopped in the car and headed out into the countryside where we drove and drove, stopping in small towns to see what was there, etc.  We packed a lunch so we stopped by the river and had a little picnic, and didn't get back until much later than we'd planned, so ordered in a pizza.  Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try out my new air-fry toaster oven, so last night's menu of french fries, ribs and wings will be happening tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses tonight to all on the celebration list!  Be safe, stay well!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 17

Rich:

Thank you for the DAILY fleet report. It will be a nice November day in Naperville, IL. I hope eveyone has a great day.  about 18 years ago I was introduced to the White Russian on an Alaskan cruise. I preferred it to the Black Russian.

• Like 7

Happy Friday Rich! Thank you again for our beautiful map and the Daily.

Good morning my dear sisters, Roy, Jacqui and summer, Daily-ites... the list continues.

Yesterday was an all day affair and I missed all the great posts til this morning. I feel like I cheated myself out of the conversations..

@VMax1700 what wonderful news! Praise the Lord!

@ger_77 There are many recipes online for air fry. I've made all kinds of things on mine and I really like it. My favorite are chicken wings. They are so crisp and tender.

A friend of ours plays a sax in a big band. He's really good at it.

image.jpeg.b77da3452eafca8fa856c843d8138128.jpeg

So yesterday we took all our papers, passports, ID's etc to Drivers License. It was so well managed, took a little over an hour to process both of us. The lady serving us was in 1st Cav Army for 6 years at Ft. Hood. (As was Allen in 1971) except this gal left last year. Then we went to Saltgrass for steaks, did some shopping, and got back just in time to have drinks at neighbors. Today Allen has his eye appt, so may stop and get oysters on the way home.

Have a fabulous day. Keep praying for our nation and one another. 

• Like 13

Thanks for the Daily...

As a young engineer in the Panama Canal Zone in the late 60s, we looked forward to coming back to the hotel after work where they had Black Russians as a daily special for $1.  Doubt you could find one that cheap anywhere.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day...

• Like 10

After a year of dormancy, our grill performed like a champ and produced delicious bratwurst. Now that we have had a successful test run we will move up to the big leagues with a Porterhouse steak tonight! 

A new group of swans graced our shoreline yesterday. They appeared to be a group of six juvenile Trumpeter swans. Here are some photos of them preening on a shallow sandy point. We could actually watch them from our kitchen window - 

image.thumb.png.89dd99c9633cc98d443d0330e631fd52.png

image.thumb.png.92d6b3644d6adc906fc6808710cd24aa.png

image.thumb.png.f3befde8229cf387b53ede84c66689d3.png

• Like 21

Good morning all on a beautiful morning in Southern Ontario.  Love the quotes today and I could celebrate Nachos, especially with my favourite salsa.  I will take a pass on the Black Russian as I do not like coffee and also the polenta dish.  My thanks to Roy for keeping this thread interesting and to all who contribute.  I haven't heard too much on the news lately about progress being made in a vaccine breakthrough.  Our hope to ever cruise again rests with us getting protection.  Take care everyone and look forward to better days - on a cruise ship.  

• Like 10

🌺🌺GOOD MORNING RICH! Enjoy the quotes👍 I need to go to our local market this am just to get A few provisions through our weekend! 80% rain tomorrow and Sunday 🙄also 40 mph winds possible! So tonight we are having a bbq with steak! We need the rain so no complaints. Maybe now will be wearing pants instead of our shorts! Will see! LOL.

🌺🌺GOOD MORNING TO MY SISTERS!

Ann so happy you and Allen are doing so well in your new home and I agree with the oven! Chicken wings come out so good👍Picking up oysters ! Yum! I will be over.

Ann , the Italian red you describe sounds good to me! I am surprised! I might like it! I am going to see if at the market they might have it! I appreciate you being such a great support to all here on CC! 
🌺🌺Roy!!Saw your old black and white TV and it reminded me of our old Sony from when David brought it back when he was in the service 1971!! David said last night WOW what a memorable event!

He was in Singapore then. 
Appreciate the care list and also so happy with celebrations!! We will toast to all of us this evening AND HOPE we can become a lot kinder!! I APPRECIATE ALL HERE ON CC! Stay safe wear 😷 masks!

🌺PS since I am part Russian on my moms side she loved Black Russians and I remember our Christmas Parties and her all dressed up! Just a small memory 

for me!

Have a happy day

Denise🌺

• Like 12

Thanks, Prayers and Cheers everyone.   Nice assortment of things today.  Barolo is always good wine.

Lovely "spring day" in Philly area today and should be through the weekend.  Hope the garden weeds don't wake up.

My late husband was also First Cav.  Special Forces Korea and Japan in the 60's before we were married.  Quite an experience.  Thank you for the service of all military.

Stay Safe.

Cindy 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Overhead Fred said:

After a year of dormancy, our grill performed like a champ and produced delicious bratwurst. Now that we have had a successful test run we will move up to the big leagues with a Porterhouse steak tonight! 

A new group of swans graced our shoreline yesterday. They appeared to be a group of six juvenile Trumpeter swans. Here are some photos of them preening on a shallow sandy point. We could actually watch them from our kitchen window - 

image.thumb.png.89dd99c9633cc98d443d0330e631fd52.png

image.thumb.png.92d6b3644d6adc906fc6808710cd24aa.png

image.thumb.png.f3befde8229cf387b53ede84c66689d3.png

Ok, I am a bit jealous. Thank you for sharing!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@DeeniEncinitas LOL, 

What's whacky about your post?

"Ann so happy you and Allen are doing so well in your new home and I agree with the oven! Chicken wings come out so good👍Picking up oysters ! Yum! I will be over."

Joy, you know Allen only has eyes for you!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Today's sunrise is the last I took from the Allure of the Seas as we completed my transatlantic voyage on her.

dawn1106.jpg

I slept late this morning and wanted to post berfore I found my photo from my alternate meal suggestion then

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes06.jpg

Roy:

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Happy Friday Rich! Thank you again for our beautiful map and the Daily.

Good morning my dear sisters, Roy, Jacqui and summer, Daily-ites... the list continues.

Yesterday was an all day affair and I missed all the great posts til this morning. I feel like I cheated myself out of the conversations..

@VMax1700 what wonderful news! Praise the Lord!

@ger_77 There are many recipes online for air fry. I've made all kinds of things on mine and I really like it. My favorite are chicken wings. They are so crisp and tender.

A friend of ours plays a sax in a big band. He's really good at it.

image.jpeg.b77da3452eafca8fa856c843d8138128.jpeg

So yesterday we took all our papers, passports, ID's etc to Drivers License. It was so well managed, took a little over an hour to process both of us. The lady serving us was in 1st Cav Army for 6 years at Ft. Hood. (As was Allen in 1971) except this gal left last year. Then we went to Saltgrass for steaks, did some shopping, and got back just in time to have drinks at neighbors. Today Allen has his eye appt, so may stop and get oysters on the way home.

**   My late dh was in First Armor Division at Fort Hood,,,,,,,,,   Kileen was our home  for about a year   We were lucky there were no available on base houses when we arrived.  

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Have a fabulous day. Keep praying for our nation and one another. 

• Like 8