Well, that didn't last

Laszlo

To me, this is not the last thing the cruise lines needed in organizing new cruises, that was back when this whole thing started when Princess admin,  decided that "oh well, it's too late now to try to stop it" was first posted. 

My opinion is, had the admin of Princess taken the bull by horns and attempted to stop this virus in it's tracks by isolating pax and staff in the first phase of this horrid virus, the whole outcome of cruise travel would have been a totally different outcome.  

Just my opinion and I understand most will be disagree ... it's all good but, I will stand my ground! 

Cheers

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Shipof6Fools said:

Will have to see if it a false positive.

Its not a false positive BBC reporting cruise is stranded.

This is the last thing the industry needed and with the US infection rate on the rise I can not even think when we will see the big boys back at seas.

This shows clearly what the industry is u against and even though crew are bring brought bck from the east it will be many months before anything sails properly.

I hope I am 100% wrong but it will be a generation before cruising returns to "normal.

• Like 1

Just wondering on how all those cruisers will be compensated for the inconvenience of cruising during a pandemic. How could a cruise line be so irresponsible to allow this to happen?  Not like a medical emergency where you can just let the passenger off at the next port.  Was a waiver signed before the cruise?  Looks like more FCC.✌️

I would assume they re-tested right away and we would have heard this morning if a second test were negative. The passenger was feeling sick and reported it - good for them.

This is a big test now... to see if it spreads to anyone else.

They did ALMOST everything right. The only thing wrong is they did not require masks for the first days of the cruise, thinking their multi-layer testing and screening was enough to be sure nobody got on board sick.  Assuming this is a positive case, this will prove that such measures aren't going to prevent a passenger from being onboard and sick.  That's a big deal.  And will step up pressure for effective containment on board, and comprehensive measures on return to port.  Who's ready to spend a week or two locked in a room after getting back from a cruise cut short? yikes.

This is 1 in 50 passengers. Does that suggest you could have 20 sick passengers on a cruise with 1,000 passengers?  Bad odds.  20 people could come in close contact with a few hundred others with no ability to contact trace.

• Like 1

Compensated for inconvenience?

We'll be signing waivers saying we understand and accept the risks, and any extra costs for evacuation, transportation and quarantine.  If anyone offers insurance it will be at a premium cost of hundreds of dollars per person per cruise.

Stranded? 

Not really.  The cruise returned to their home port, Barbados, which is the CDC plan for all cruises from the US also.  Doctors from Barbados boarded the ship to handle the further testing and decisions about when and how people will be allowed back on shore and to travel home.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wdsted said:

Unfortunately, this is exactly the problem with resuming cruises.  Until a vaccine is available and required of all passengers, cruising ain’t gonna happen.

You know that isn't true, right? I mean, there isn't a vaccine currently being administered on a widespread basis and yet cruising IS happening. So your last phrase is flat out wrong.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

You know that isn't true, right? I mean, there isn't a vaccine currently being administered on a widespread basis and yet cruising IS happening. So your last phrase is flat out wrong.

Many people are testing these vaccines right now but we haven't got any adequate results yet. Usually this process takes 2-3 years in order to detect any downside effects

• Like 1

You can lead a horse to water...

People who believe taking a cruise is still a good idea have only themselves to

blame if they climb onboard and then get quarantined. My mom used to say

you cannot have a rational conversation with an irrational person. People need

to find another option and forget about cruising no matter what the cruise lines

say they will do to protect you.

These ships should all have skull & crossbones stenciled on their hull as a warning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, atanac said:

You can lead a horse to water...

People who believe taking a cruise is still a good idea have only themselves to

blame if they climb onboard and then get quarantined. My mom used to say

you cannot have a rational conversation with an irrational person. People need

to find another option and forget about cruising no matter what the cruise lines

say they will do to protect you.

These ships should all have skull & crossbones stenciled on their hull as a warning.

The statistics for larger ship will be even more ominous for insuring everyone ship sailing will have someone with COVID and a week sucking each other's air, the outcome is all but assurd.

13 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Started but now stopped in Europe. Passenger number despite everything that was written were low and with the European quarantines on one wants or is able to travel. Look at the spread on one ship.

Make no mistake cruising will of course return but it will take time for passengers to get used to or accept the changes and risks! And just to make matters worst holiday and other insurance may well not cover repatriation. or costs of quarantine from cruises. 

The large ships are months away from a restart, but I agree the time is coming that unless there is restart money is running out. NCL for example, said in April this year  that they had 18 months runway well that means it is now less than one year. 

Edited by bmwman
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, wdsted said:

Unfortunately, this is exactly the problem with resuming cruises.  Until a vaccine is available and required of all passengers, cruising ain’t gonna happen.

Right at the beginning of this pandemic, I said on these boards that before a vaccine is available and required, I won't be cruising.

The year is almost over and I still hold that view. Unfortunately, cruising won't bear any semblance of the amazing experience it was until vaccine requirements are in place. 

It is so sad, but I am truly grateful for all the wonderful memories I hold of all my cruises. I think that when I am able to step onto a ship again, it will be with even more joy and gratitude!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Really?  Do you think even this super yacht fiasco is going to result in any more cruises?  When’s your next cruise departing?

48 minutes ago, wdsted said:

Really?  Do you think even this super yacht fiasco is going to result in any more cruises?  When’s your next cruise departing?

This latest cruise  is showing how unpredictable the disease is. 1 to 5 with only 53 pax on board.

Being quarantined in a cabin on a ship is crazy. And now as they wait to see how disembarking is going to be handled adds to the strain. And is exactly why the CDC is empathizing cruise lines from US ports have that plan in place with all the i's dotted and t's crossed.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2020 at 7:54 PM, beerman2 said:

Yep 53 pax and 66 crew on board. Now pax confined to cabin. Sounds like fun.

Sea Dream cabins are not the biggest around, and none of them have balconies. They are well appointed, but there is only so much you can do in 220 sqft.

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1