The Daily for Thursday Nov 12, 2020

richwmn

45 minutes ago, Himself said:

Do the masks really help?

🌺Good morning Father! To answer your question YES! As a DDS I can go on and on with why they work and need to be worn. Here is an article from last night that really helps and explains

Have a good day

Denise😊

CDC says masks protect wearers from Covid-19
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/health/masks-cdc-updated-guidance/index.html
Denis

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Denise, when you log-on, do you get reminded of the Hawaii, Tahiti and B

🌺🌺 Good morning to you my dear sis. 
Nope I wouldn’t rub in that sad time back in March! I remember you coming home to San Diego on the Oosterdam while we were having to come back also on The Rotterdam from our 3 month vacation! Sad times then!

Saw this photo print and it did remind me 

of the future! Have a great day! 
❤️Denise

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺Good morning Father! To answer your question YES! As a DDS I can go on and on with why they work and need to be worn. Here is an article from last night that really helps and explains

Have a good day

Denise😊

CDC says masks protect wearers from Covid-19
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/health/masks-cdc-updated-guidance/index.html
Denis

Great article Denise! And don't forget to wash the masks if you are wearing cloth.

• Like 4

Thanks for the daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Loved the books - Chicken Soup for the Soul series.  Great collections of days.

No turkey in the house so we’ll have to pass on the meal suggestion for the day.

Late to the party as I have been trying to get answers on a European flight.  European airlines have such different rules than here and I want to be sure before I book..  One’s carriage PDF rules contradicts what the website says. Sheesh.

I need a smile today, so ....

160076CD-580D-4B43-8DA2-438C1CF10075.thumb.png.5917a046ddb2fd98b1d72b57ffbff810.png

@ger_77hope it warms up for you a bit.  @StLouisCruisers a very happy birthday to your son 🙂 

@rafinmd- congrats on achieving so much.  Well done 🙂 

@HimselfCDC recently stated that masks not only protect those close to you but protect yourself as well.  They work - look at our Atlantic Bubble.

Prayers to everyone on Roy’s Care list & for everyone who needs them & a toast to everyone on the Celebratory/Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your  masks. 😷 

• Like 11

The Aviation is a great "retro" cocktail and is a very pretty drink. I like using Luxardo Maraschino and Rothman & Winter Creme de Violette. I usually go a little lighter on the lemon juice. 

There are two close cousins you may want to try; the Blue Moon (leaves out the maraschino) and the Moonlight (replaces the maraschino with Cointreau and the lemon juice with lime). 

Here are perennial geraniums from our old house. I moved some to the new place & sure hope they make it!

image.thumb.png.4155ceb7fa02a61a73ab3d359c7e4a60.png

• Like 14

What a wonderful collection of days.  I’ve had several pneumonia shots.  Got pneumonia about 5 weeks after the first one!  

Glad for everyone in FL/GA that ETA will soon be gone.  What a hurricane season this has been.  Guess it just goes along with everything else that 2020 has brought.  Looking forward to watching my favorite golf tournament.  Somehow it will be “different” to see The Masters without azaleas!

Prayers for all in need and kudos to those celebrating.  Have a great day everyone.

• Like 8

Good morning, all, and thanks to Rich and Roy,  and everyone who makes the Daily so special!  

Our national health officer, Dr. Tam, has been telling us that three-layer masks will help to protect the wearer as well as those around him - we are lucky, DD ordered a bunch of new cloth masks on line, and they came with a slot for a filter, and many filters as well.  We are happier now to wear them if they are protecting ourselves as well as those around us.  I had been getting a bit indignant that I was wearing one while others were not.  DD who is in Gander working as an ATC said that NavCanada told them a double layer of coffee filters inside their masks will help to keep them safe.  They are still working in "bubbles" through April and then will decide what to do.   Happy that the CDC is pushing the masks as well.

Today will be baking day, I think, it's nice to warm up the house.  We have new neighbours and I will be able to send over a loaf of banana bread and a jar of jam.  I think I'll have time to make some soda bread, too, which should make DH happy.

• Like 14

Good early afternoon all.  A good collection of days to celebrate for sure, but for pneumonia it should have “shots” added on.  We had chicken soup last night and it was oh so good.  The quote is spot on.  Thanks to all to contribute and to our keeper of the thread a huge thank you.  Yesterday after we watched the Remembrance Day service on TV we went to our local cemeteries to pay our respects.  Each military grave had a Canadian flag 🇨🇦 in front of it, even the empty spots that don't have a stone yet had a flag.  Four years ago one of the military centuries at our war memorial in Ottawa was gunned down by a deranged person (who was later shot by guards in our parliament building).  Corporal Nathan Cirillo is buried in the cemetery we visited,  his parents and son were at his grave when we got there. His son is 8 now.  It was a very sad experience for us.  When we went to the other cemetery where DH's grandfather is buried there weren't any flags but something else very meaningful.  On top of each veteran's gravestone there was a small stone with a painted poppy on it.   

My thoughts are with those on Roy's care list and a shout out to those celebrating.  I wish it could be all of us getting good news about future cruises that we have booked.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ger_77 said:

We call it "cold" when it hits -40 or better. 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Spoken like a true Canadian!  We were out in minus 21 Celsius yesterday, for over an hour watching the geese land on the river.   Not too bad if you’re bundled up.  

@Seasick Sailor   Pappadeux!   Oh DH is sobbing,  one of our absolute faves!  

good morning and thanks Rich, Roy et al.  

30211710-0939-4A09-9D31-C10AB66B272A.jpeg

3D7F3BC7-8F59-48B1-ABA2-7D61FFE33A87.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, gigianne said:

Good early afternoon all.  A good collection of days to celebrate for sure, but for pneumonia it should have “shots” added on.  We had chicken soup last night and it was oh so good.  The quote is spot on.  Thanks to all to contribute and to our keeper of the thread a huge thank you.  Yesterday after we watched the Remembrance Day service on TV we went to our local cemeteries to pay our respects.  Each military grave had a Canadian flag 🇨🇦 in front of it, even the empty spots that don't have a stone yet had a flag.  Four years ago one of the military centuries at our war memorial in Ottawa was gunned down by a deranged person (who was later shot by guards in our parliament building).  Corporal Nathan Cirillo is buried in the cemetery we visited,  his parents and son were at his grave when we got there. His son is 8 now.  It was a very sad experience for us.  When we went to the other cemetery where DH's grandfather is buried there weren't any flags but something else very meaningful.  On top of each veteran's gravestone there was a small stone with a painted poppy on it.   

My thoughts are with those on Roy's care list and a shout out to those celebrating.  I wish it could be all of us getting good news about future cruises that we have booked.  

Tears!  Thank you for sharing.   

• Like 6

Good morning, all! Chicken Soup for the Soul is what we all need. ‘Every absurdity has a champion who will defend it ‘ sounds like the working mandate for 2020. Turkey would be wonderful, but there’s none in the freezer. Chicken will have to do. I’ve never had an Aviation, but it could be the closest I get to air travel for quite some time. @ger_77, those temperatures are the reason I don’t live in North Battleford anymore. 😁

I finished another bag yesterday. The outside is a print of fall leaves, and the lining is natural dyed with Arbutus (Madrona) bark.

E3B3E73A-1B1D-41A4-9621-FCADC795E356.jpeg

2539C673-14A9-4412-AA35-27ED0C07D472.jpeg

07FFA767-FD52-41B9-8C75-4186E9ED16F3.jpeg

• Like 12

17 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! Chicken Soup for the Soul is what we all need. ‘Every absurdity has a champion who will defend it ‘ sounds like the working mandate for 2020. Turkey would be wonderful, but there’s none in the freezer. Chicken will have to do. I’ve never had an Aviation, but it could be the closest I get to air travel for quite some time. @ger_77, those temperatures are the reason I don’t live in North Battleford anymore. 😁

I finished another bag yesterday. The outside is a print of fall leaves, and the lining is natural dyed with Arbutus (Madrona) bark.

E3B3E73A-1B1D-41A4-9621-FCADC795E356.jpeg

2539C673-14A9-4412-AA35-27ED0C07D472.jpeg

07FFA767-FD52-41B9-8C75-4186E9ED16F3.jpeg

Do you sell your bags?  They're gorgeous!

• Like 5

Good morning all! (barely, almost noon on the west coast).  I hear that we're in for quite a wind storm this weekend, that should bring down the rest of the leaves! (but hopefully not any more trees).

Thanks to everyone for your positive posts and photos!  I'm feeling more positive lately with the vaccine news -- maybe a light at the end of the tunnel??  Also, according to the USPS "Informed Delivery" our check will finally arrive today for our refund.  It only took 5 months and a day 😉  Many mistakes made by HAL, but thank goodness our PCC got it all cleared up.  $15,000 isn't something we wanted to lose so I'm feeling a lot more positive this week 🙂  

Heading out to meet a friend for coffee while her DH is having his cataract surgery.  Have a great day everyone!

• Like 10

46 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Do you sell your bags?  They're gorgeous!

Why thank you!

I’m planning to sell some bags locally. Unfortunately, Canadian postage is so bizarrely high that I don’t want to ship them. I just made two bags for my daughter in Taiwan, and the postage was $44, without tracking. My calculator tells me that if I filled my included luggage allowance with parcels going to Taiwan, it would pay for an entire round trip economy airfare there. So posting on the local exchange is the way to go for now!

• Like 7

Just now, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Why thank you!

I’m planning to sell some bags locally. Unfortunately, Canadian postage is so bizarrely high that I don’t want to ship them. I just made two bags for my daughter in Taiwan, and the postage was $44, without tracking. My calculator tells me that if I filled my included luggage allowance with parcels going to Taiwan, it would pay for an entire round trip economy airfare there. So posting on the local exchange is the way to go for now!

I understand.  Have you looked into selling on Etsy?  I don't know how the shipping costs are on it?

• Like 5

Sharing some photos from our visit to the cemetery on Remembrance Day. I can't believe the orange and white poppies still growing.  The grave is DH's grandfather, the one who sent the beautiful postcards home to his family.

9248490E-A72F-4325-BF34-9F878C9B9914.jpeg

40F8A4FF-FC43-4A78-BCEE-4018181CEB0D.jpeg

E182431F-D049-4B35-87F6-79761E2571D4.jpeg

53A9F4BC-99F6-4B5F-B10C-57175CFCFBFA.jpeg

6D27AEAA-A75D-4473-832E-39C79D9DB8B5.jpeg

C1FC0688-9A06-4773-92C2-A3A33B49D878.jpeg

A209759D-A118-4458-8922-709B9AD9099D.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

I understand.  Have you looked into selling on Etsy?  I don't know how the shipping costs are on it?

I have looked at Etsy. The shipping costs don’t change, except that the fee Etsy collects from you includes 5% of any shipping cost passed on to the buyer. If shipping is included in your item price, Etsy collects 5% on top of that, too. There is a small business regional rate that helps, but for me that only applies to Western Canada.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It’s over a week since I last posted on my 2003 trip.  We arrived in Ulan Ude early (6:01AM) Sunday morning, April 20.  There was a slight deviation with the usual procedure as my guide, Guildan, came into the car to make sure I got off the train as the stop was relatively short.  We had a morning tour of Ulan Ude which has a lot of Soviet history and includes the world’s largest bust of Lenin.

wrld2790.thumb.jpg.99cb03000ae8c98a5e38b8474351deac.jpg

We had 3 stops on our day in Ulan Ude.  The first was the Cathedral.  It was Easter Sunday in North America but the Orthodox church is typically a week behind the Roman calendar and it was Palm Sunday in Ulan Ude..  Palms do not grow very well in Siberia and the people were waving short slender branches from a bush with white buds, something we called pussy willow when I was growing up.  Sadly, I did not take any photos of the Cathedral.  It was converted to an anti-religious museum in the Soviet era but is again an active Cathedral.

Our next stop was an open air museum.  Guildan was ethnically Buryat, the largest indigenous group in the Republic of Buryatia.  The structures in the museum seemed pretty primitive and while small to minimize heat loss did not look like a pleasant way to spend a Siberian winter.

1918270420_3.5x5in001.jpg.f32a80b6827ba0591521c602754511c0.jpg
Our final stop, and one of the absolute highlights of the trip, was a visit for “tea” with a local family.  That tea was a LOT more than tea.  We did drink a fair amount of tea in the afternoon, looked around at their farm a bit and talked a lot.  At one point they asked me about my house, and I did have a photo of it on my camera but it was in the van.  The driver retrieved it, and we talked a bit about that.

wrld0010.thumb.jpg.0825cb9764a310790dd525c721d7a5eb.jpg

The “tea” itself was a true feast, and at some point the Vodka came out.  I don’t drink and tried to beg off gracefully but Guildan was quite insistant “Roy, you REALLY need to do this”.  A total non-drinker, I ended up consuming probably 8-10 shots of Vodka.  I was surprised that I actually felt nothing, not sick, not dizzy, not giddy, nothing except really hating the taste.  At the end of the evening Guildan took several photos with my camera which I emailed to him for the family once I had time and internet, and got a very nice reply from the “Old Believers”.

wrld2900.thumb.jpg.63eb26afdb69c45ab63fb4fc7a0d6740.jpg

It was at least 9PM when I arrived at my hotel and had to be ready for my continued rail journey before 6AM, so all I did for the night was crash.

Roy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

@ger_77, those temperatures are the reason I don’t live in North Battleford anymore.

Beautiful bags; too bad the postage is so dear!  I was born in North Battleford -  small world.  I didn't stay there long, only 18 months, then was adopted by a family living in the south part of the province.   

Even Chilliwack can get cold once in a while - stay warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 5

image.jpeg.b896f34a6d4d5a9387acbcdd9e2a46b9.jpeg
Roy enjoyed the writings!! I can definitely relate to the tea and vodka! It is considered a welcome celebration to you when they invite you into their home. The Tapestry behind them I remember as a child in my grandparents home. Also

the babushcas (head garments)! I appreciate the photos !! You have a nice 

smile Roy.

Denise😊

• Like 3