New vaccine

hollyjess

7 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

You need to befriend someone at the hub😉

What good would that do ? It doesn't happen from what I've read on here .

Even poor old Aulanis lives too far away but others must live closer cos they ...:classic_wacko:

I give up we know nowt Phil :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

I think you are very wrong in that supposition.

Also the full priority list extends to those over 50 and those below who have underlying health conditions. Lots of folks with cars who could turn up quickly if called.

OK, to put it another way. You're in charge of a vaccine hub. You close at 8pm, it's now 7pm and you have been told you've got 20 spare vaccines to be used up before 8pm. Do you start ringing around patients on the priority list to see if they can come in, knowing that if you have no luck and run out of time, those vaccines are going in the bin? Or do you use the list of people that know they're on a friends and family list that have been primed for a last minute call up to the vaccine centre? Like I said, I'd rather the vaccines go to the most vulnerable first. But I'd rather they go to anyone than no one. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

OK, to put it another way. You're in charge of a vaccine hub. You close at 8pm, it's now 7pm and you have been told you've got 20 spare vaccines to be used up before 8pm. Do you start ringing around patients on the priority list to see if they can come in, knowing that if you have no luck and run out of time, those vaccines are going in the bin? Or do you use the list of people that know they're on a friends and family list that have been primed for a last minute call up to the vaccine centre? Like I said, I'd rather the vaccines go to the most vulnerable first. But I'd rather they go to anyone than no one. 

I think we all agree that no vaccine should be wasted but can't see how you can justify having a friends and family list that can in effect jump the queue, why not just have a list of priority people primed for a last minute call.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

So you “prime” those on the priority list.

• Like 2

Just now, yorkshirephil said:

I think we all agree that no vaccine should be wasted but can't see how you can justify having a friends and family list that can in effect jump the queue, why not just have a list of priority people primed for a last minute call.

Yeah, or that. I'm not making a case for a friends and family list. Just one that avoids wasting any vaccine. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We overlapped, great minds think alike.

• Like 2

Just had an email, supposedly from the NHS asking me to reply in order to be given a vaccination appointment. I was a bit suspicious,  as I am lower in the priority list than my wife. Also the email mentions that the second vaccination will be 3 or 4 weeks after the first, which we know us incorrect.

Anyway, my virus protection warned me that this was a dangerous email. 

Be careful out there! 

• Like 5

Just now, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Yeah, or that. I'm not making a case for a friends and family list. Just one that avoids wasting any vaccine. 

Cruise I don't mind you having the jab but I and many others could be there if we were given the chance. Not your fault if you were phoned and put on a list I'm not bothered when I get mine but when you have cancer patients who would be there like a shot if put on a waiting list but are not all because they are not family or buddy with someone at that centre . Not having a go mate just saying .:classic_smile: 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Just had an email, supposedly from the NHS asking me to reply in order to be given a vaccination appointment. I was a bit suspicious,  as I am lower in the priority list than my wife. Also the email mentions that the second vaccination will be 3 or 4 weeks after the first, which we know us incorrect.

Be careful out there! 

It would be letter ??  As you say take care .

• Like 1

This may be controversial but if my sister who is a nurse currently working in a local vaccination centre rang me late in the day and said that they had spare vaccines and were David or I able to go and take one I would definitely say that one of us should take one.  Perhaps I am selfish but my view is that anyone should take a vaccine rather than waste it. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, kalos said:

Cruise I don't mind you having the jab but I and many others could be there if we were given the chance. Not your fault if you were phoned and put on a list I'm not bothered when I get mine but when you have cancer patients who would be there like a shot if put on a waiting list but are not all because they are not family or buddy with someone at that centre . Not having a go mate just saying .:classic_smile: 

Where have I said that they shouldn't get it first? In the post you've just quoted I've agreed that the most vulnerable should get it but the most important thing is that the vaccine is not wasted. Sometimes it might not be possible to get it to that most vulnerable person. And it's for fear of a reaction like that exhibited on here, that the NHS end up throwing it away, for fear of being berated. 

2 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

This may be controversial but if my sister who is a nurse currently working in a local vaccination centre rang me late in the day and said that they had spare vaccines and were David or I able to go and take one I would definitely say that one of us should take one.  Perhaps I am selfish but my view is that anyone should take a vaccine rather than waste it. 

No one would disagree that any arm is better than none but in my opinion there should be a system to ensure that vaccines go to those who have priority, not just those who happen know the staff. 

Locally they have called the local Police stations and vaccinated officers with any “spare” vaccines. This may not be a priority group but it has the advantage of being impartial and there cane be no question of it being cronyism.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We all agree that it should never be wasted, I am sure a lot of us would love to be in the position you were/are in, but I don't think it is fair that nepotism is allowed, there must be alternatives to contact those on the priority list. Could they not contact the local police or fire station and have them on standby?

• Like 3

Just now, Eglesbrech said:

No one would disagree that any arm is better than none but in my opinion there should be a system to ensure that vaccines go to those who have priority, not just those who happen know the staff. 

Locally they have called the local Police stations and vaccinated officers with any “spare” vaccines. This may not be a priority group but it has the advantage of being impartial and there cane be no question of it being cronyism.

Have you hacked my laptop😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

And it's for fear of a reaction like that exhibited on here, that the NHS end up throwing it away, for fear of being berated. 

No one so far on here said vaccine should be wasted. It should however be managed appropriately.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Where have I said that they shouldn't get it first? In the post you've just quoted I've agreed that the most vulnerable should get it but the most important thing is that the vaccine is not wasted. Sometimes it might not be possible to get it to that most vulnerable person. And it's for fear of a reaction like that exhibited on here, that the NHS end up throwing it away, for fear of being berated. 

Nowhere have I said that you said that in your  post  and I have said I don't mind if you got it as Phil said rather a cat gets it before wastage . My reaction is if they can make a list of family etc they can for the   vulnerable . I see no reaction on here give it to family or friends if no one else on the vulnerable do not want it . Josy said she would go if her family nurse rang her as it was going to waste and I say good luck to her .  I repeat I am not having a go at you just saying it could be organised better thats all .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We all agree that it should never be wasted, I am sure a lot of us would love to be in the position you were/are in, but I don't think it is fair that nepotism is allowed, there must be alternatives to contact those on the priority list. Could they not contact the local police or fire station and have them on standby?

I agree that there should be a a standby list and I also think that simply knowing the right person should not enable anyone to jump the queue but like most people  I would not turn down the chance to get a vaccine if it was offered.

• Like 7

What" friends & family "list ? my three children all work at the hospital one in the pharmacy

and they have the 80 deg freezer! Clearly they have been jabbed  but didnt know of any list.

I am sending a form into my GP so I can get a list ,on line,  of treatment I have had-  it will be ZERO

as it says they only have the data from January 2019 !!!  what about the previous 70 years?? 

That is just an excuse  for the contact as I will also ask if I can be put on a  "no waste re ntu s" list;

but it might come in handy when I do get the jabs and anyone needs proof.   

Not that  I would expect them to accept it as by then they will be available on ebay LOL.

54 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Be careful out there! 

Our local police have warned people of this (and probably other) email scams which are headed as e referrals based on genetics and medical history but then give the 2nd appointment 3 or 4 weeks after the first.I haven't received one but have seen one and they do look convincing