New vaccine

hollyjess

3 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

OK, I am going to butt in here, even though I probably shouldn't, but want to clarify a few of the guidelines. Posts making political comments will be deleted. Anti vaccine posts will be deleted. Posts quoting deleted posts will be deleted.  Posts questioning board management will be deleted. Moderators are unpaid volunteers. We do our best but do have other things to do. Whilst there is a degree of leeway during the pandemic, and thread drift is normal, anything completely off topic will be deleted or moved to a more appropriate board. Finally please don't forget there is a whole section for UK cruisers adn a board called The Pub for any topics you all want to chat about that are unrelated to cruising. Thanks. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/545-the-pub/

I personally think you do a very good job Sharon . Thank you and stay safe .:classic_smile:

Sharon - Thanks for all you do and apologies for getting too close to the line sometimes.  Difficult times

I do suppose we could have our own Pub in the P&O section, could we?  I don’t know most of the pub regulars over there but feel a sense of community here?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, davecttr said:

As I understand it if you want political balance read The New Statesman, The Spectator and then Private Eye to find out what they are really up to 😁

My neighbour had her jab on Friday, she had originally decided against but they contacted her again after a few days and she changed her mind. We have a lot, over 90,000 of very elderly people in Kent/Medway so I have not heard of anyone in the 70+ group being contacted yet. Still hoping for a late February call 🤞

It seems to be a bit of a postcode lottery even just in Medway. I know several people in their 80's who haven't been contacted yet but several people of 76 who have already been vaccinated.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Sharon - Thanks for all you do and apologies for getting too close to the line sometimes.  Difficult times

I do suppose we could have our own Pub in the P&O section, could we?  I don’t know most of the pub regulars over there but feel a sense of community here?

I think we sort of have that already in the whats it like where you are

Maybe leave this one solely for New Vaccine posts and go over there?

• Like 3

Lets hope today is another record breaking day for the UK's vaccine program .

The sooner they get down through the age system and the vulnerable they have in place ,the better for us all . I remember the press asking on one of those Corona TV up dates  " Do they think we should divert to teachers and police etc ?" The answer was they had no data to show why they should alter course as yet .  Anyone at risk in those sectors would be vaccinated anyway they said .

They now have those figures in and it looks like the current program is taking us in the right direction .

So that is a positive we can take from it . Lets Keep Safe and get them jabs when our turn comes .

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-new-data-reveals-jobs-with-highest-rates-of-death-from-coronavirus-12198285

• Like 8

4 hours ago, SarahHben said:

It seems to be a bit of a postcode lottery even just in Medway. I know several people in their 80's who haven't been contacted yet but several people of 76 who have already been vaccinated.

I think it is to do with the GP surgery you attend and maybe their amount of patients. Some seem to have good access to this. Others not so much. 

30 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I think it is to do with the GP surgery you attend and maybe their amount of patients. Some seem to have good access to this. Others not so much. 

Agreed and there is lots to take into account  .Are they in a high risk group, living in a care home etc ?

If the above applies then I would fully expect to see maybe someone in their late 70's getting the jab before a 80 year old with no health conditions but they stress that everyone will get the vaccine.

As you say some area's will be more to do with logistics .Take a countryside village hall with two  vaccinators compared to 18 mile up the road a modern health care centre with six staff jabbing away then it is to be expected . What I did not like is some " no show up's " jabs being offered to the practices friends and buddy's being given the jab rather than have someone entitled on standby .

Looking at the calculator and I have moved from late March to early February but I will not take that to be written in stone .They will send for me when they are ready .

Put the calculator here if anyone needs it :classic_smile:  ........

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

Agreed and there is lots to take into account  .Are they in a high risk group, living in a care home etc ?

If the above applies then I would fully expect to see maybe someone in their late 70's getting the jab before a 80 year old with no health conditions but they stress that everyone will get the vaccine

Lets think about this. 2 mates dads. One in 70s does get bad chest infection so if he gets this would be bad. He has been called for pfizer. My other mates dad has some kind of brain condition and he has not yet heard anything also in 70s maybe even in 80s not sure. First mate in the village second in the closest small town where the vac centre is. I think they are different GPs though. And my father in the same village in his 80s called before either of them which I am grateful for. Perhaps one practice has more pull than the other in getting supply.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

What I did not like is some " no show up's " jabs being offered to the practices friends and buddy's being given the jab rather than have someone entitled on standby

What is the point of that though? Even if no money is changing hands won't they have to lock in the second jab on the system and therefore get caught out on the paperwork? Or are those people taking first jab with no guarantee of second?

New mass vaccination centre open here this morning started vaccinations of key workers early this morning will commence vaccinations of those who receive NHS letters from Thursday. According to figures we were one of counties with lowest vaccination rates of 49%, local council has been very vocal about lack of availability and now this has opened up together with a pharmacy vaccination centre and local GPS, plus 2 other small vaccination centres to open up in next week we should see that figure rise hopefully. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

What is the point of that though? Even if no money is changing hands won't they have to lock in the second jab on the system and therefore get caught out on the paperwork? Or are those people taking first jab with no guarantee of second?

No from what I read it was simply buddies looking after buddies all above board but my point is they could have a reserve list for those entitled . I once was on a operation list that was a couple of months away and was asked would I go onto a standby list , I was done and dusted inside two weeks, so it is not like the system would be new to them . Apart from that I am not privy to the workings of the NHS so my only option is to be patient . They will sort us all out in time .:classic_smile:

• Like 2

Heard on the local news at lunchtime that Cornwall has opened a new hub towards Truro at Stithians Showground. Just hope that they have tractors on standby as there is very limited hard parking. Parking is normally in fields and after all the rain we’ve had recently they will soon get churned up! Will make for an interesting day out.

14 minutes ago, kalos said:

No from what I read it was simply buddies looking after buddies all above board but my point is they could have a reserve list for those entitled

But how can they get the second jab for them? Won't the system track it? I am assuming the relevant NHS trust will be looking at the vaccine orders and usage and be hang on what is going on here so to speak?

18 minutes ago, kalos said:

No from what I read it was simply buddies looking after buddies all above board but my point is they could have a reserve list for those entitled . I once was on a operation list that was a couple of months away and was asked would I go onto a standby list , I was done and dusted inside two weeks, so it is not like the system would be new to them . Apart from that I am not privy to the workings of the NHS so my only option is to be patient . They will sort us all out in time .:classic_smile:

But how can they get the second jab for them? Won't the system track it? I am assuming the relevant NHS trust will be looking at the vaccine orders and usage and be hang on what is going on here so to speak?

Please re read my last post . They will go through the system as normal .

43 minutes ago, kalos said:

If the above applies then I would fully expect to see maybe someone in their late 70's getting the jab before a 80 year old with no health conditions but they stress that everyone will get the vaccine.

As you say some area's will be more to do with logistics .Take a countryside village hall with two  vaccinators compared to 18 mile up the road a modern health care centre with six staff jabbing away then it is to be expected . What I did not like is some " no show up's " jabs being offered to the practices friends and buddy's being given the jab rather than have someone entitled on standby .

Looking at the calculator and I have moved from late March to early February but I will not take that to be written in stone .They will send for me when they are ready .

Put the calculator here if anyone needs it :classic_smile:  ........

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk

It is unfair that people are allowed to jump the queue but it would be criminal to waste even one dose of vaccine.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

Please re read my last post . They will go through the system as normal .

But surely if the trust receives a complaint and audits a practice - and I am sure they will - won't they see vaccines being given to the doctor's son and his mates for example? Or is it not being tracked that closely?

But surely if the trust receives a complaint and audits a practice - and I am sure they will - won't they see vaccines being given to the doctor's son and his mates for example? Or is it not being tracked that closely?

Its not that they're doing it sneakily. Some vaccine centres have put the procedure in place to reduce vaccine waste. It's all above board although some trusts don't seem very happy with it. Even No 10 said its better that they don't get wasted but where possible the leftover vaccine should go to the priority groups. 

Edited by cruisenewbie1976
Typo
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

It is unfair that people are allowed to jump the queue but it would be criminal to waste even one dose of vaccine.

Forgot which paper I read it in Phil yes it would be criminal and I fully agree with you .

The story implied that they were not making any effort to get it into the arms where needed most .

If they could genuinely not get anyone else then fair play to them .

4 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I think your overthinking it , forget it you will  get there in the end  .Bye for now take care !

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kalos said:

Forgot which paper I read it in Phil yes it would be criminal and I fully agree with you .

The story implied that they were not making any effort to get it into the arms where needed most .

If they could genuinely not get anyone else then fair play to them .

A friend of ours who drives people to the vaccine hub near us missed Thursday 2 week ago because of the heavy snow. He was digging his car out in the evening and his neighbour was doing the same and told him his 20 year old daughter was literally dragged in off the street on her way home as they had some vaccine left that would have to be disposed of if not used. He asked next morning and was told if he had been there he would have been jabbed. I agree with you that wherever possible the effort should be made to give it to priority groups. I would expect that the NHS have rules regarding nepotism?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kalos said:

Anyone else's dates moved forward on the Omni calculator ? :classic_unsure:

Both early February. 2nd jab mid April. A few weeks earlier for us. We were busy that week so overdelivering messed up our plans, again.🤣

• Haha 3