New vaccine

hollyjess

As far as I understand it. In the Oxford/AZ trials, there were insufficient numbers in the over-65 cohort who actually caught the disease to make a solid prediction on efficacy. However immune responses were measured in all groups. Those in the over-65 group showed equivalent immune responses to those in other groups. So it is probably a fair assumption to say that the vaccine should be effective. No doubt with the millions being vaccinated there is now a massive pool of trial subjects to confirm or refute those assumptions.

I saw one journalist claim that the German reaction may be some form of "vaccine nationalism" since the Pfizer jab was developed by a German company BioNTech

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, arlowood said:

As far as I understand it. In the Oxford/AZ trials, there were insufficient numbers in the over-65 cohort who actually caught the disease to make a solid prediction on efficacy. However immune responses were measured in all groups. Those in the over-65 group showed equivalent immune responses to those in other groups. So it is probably a fair assumption to say that the vaccine should be effective. No doubt with the millions being vaccinated there is now a massive pool of trial subjects to confirm or refute those assumptions.

I saw one journalist claim that the German reaction may be some form of "vaccine nationalism" since the Pfizer jab was developed by a German company BioNTech

I wondered if sour grapes may be involved. It will be interesting to see what happens with EU approval, or non approval. In reality they are free to do as they please, as are the UK. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Just got text from my GP office with link to book my vaccination at the Vacc Centre.  So Monday 1st Feb for me!

Excellent news, that's brilliant, Jean.🙂

Edited by AnnieC

10 minutes ago, arlowood said:

And given the fact that BioNTech was set up by someone born in Turkey, and his wife, the daughter of another Turkish immigrant, maybe some of the advantages of immigration will counter so much negativity!

22 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

The Germans may have a point, there was concern regarding the dosing strength and it not being used in the over 55 age group in the initial 3rd phase trial. Further trials were conducted and MHRA approved the vaccine, in effect all the vaccines are still on trial. I always have doubts about efficacy claims being quite as good as figures show, but that is another story. The AZ vaccine has proved to be safe in the UK to date and there is no reason to suggest it shouldn't be. Only time will tell just how effective it is, (the flu vaccine is a good example as the efficacy can vary considerably from year to year). Germany has taken a different view and may or may not gain from that. If the vaccine is not as effective as claimed but provides a lesser degree of protection then that is still a better place to be than no vaccine. 

Trouble is, we all have far too much time on our hands and far too much half-understood information - does anyone have any idea which 'flu vaccine, tetanus vaccine or any other vaccine they got last time they got their jab? Assuming there are different manufacturers/formulae, for all we know there's a difference in efficacy between them as well. Be interesting to find out - does anyone know?

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Trouble is, we all have far too much time on our hands and far too much half-understood information - does anyone have any idea which 'flu vaccine, tetanus vaccine or any other vaccine they got last time they got their jab? Assuming there are different manufacturers/formulae, for all we know there's a difference in efficacy between them as well. Be interesting to find out - does anyone know?

I can safely say that I’ve never known the maker of any vaccine that I’ve had administered! 

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

The old phrase 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' comes to mind. When I get the call I will be straight there. Sitting in the chair with my sleeve rolled up, I may ask the nurse what brand She is about to stick in my arm, but don't really mind. As always I will leave it to the experts. The are paid by us to make decisions so I will let them get on with it. Of course, if the nurse answered ' detol', l may have second thoughts, but perhaps not if the nurse is a 6'6" hairy squadie.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

I always ask for an information sheet when I have my flu jab, which tells you the manufacturer and which strains it is protecting you from, plus of course the long list of possible side effects. Most of the standard vaccines are identical in chemical structure just made by different companies as they have come off patent and are generic. Some vaccines/drugs are specifically designed to suit people that may have other health issues, or whether they are adult or children etc. I agree that we have too much time at the moment. I have learned more about vaccines in the last 9 months than I did in the 30+ years I worked in pharmaceuticals. As an aside have a look at the history of the Polio vaccine.

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

And given the fact that BioNTech was set up by someone born in Turkey, and his wife, the daughter of another Turkish immigrant, maybe some of the advantages of immigration will counter so much negativity!

We have a very large immigrant population in my town. Great cultural diversity, Great restaurants and kebabs to die for🤣. How's that for positive?

Edited by zap99

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

We won't know until the data comes in and is released. With about 2 million getting a jab per week there is a huge sample size building up. The 'Kent' variant might complicate matters and the SA variant might be even more complicating. By mid Feb they should have 15 million test group to analyse.

I am a little worried about that 12 week wait as well, however with little information where I live other than they are vaccinating I still don't know when I will get my first jab, maybe early March as I turn 70 then so should jump to the front of the queue, hopefully.

I’ve just been for my daily walk, unfortunately cut short by rain.

However, I made sure that I walked by the health centre, and there is activity there today. 

There was a queue of people outside, being marshalled by someone with a clipboard, so it looks like they got the vaccine supplies delivered, as mentioned by you the other day.

Everybody in the queue looked... er.... fairly advanced in years. Over 80s and late 70s, I should think. 

I saw that there is now a mass vaccination centre in Folkestone. On one of the news reports it said they’d call people to Folkestone who lived within a 45 minute drive. When I checked on the computer, I was a 58 minute drive from Folkestone. There is a need for a mass vaccination centre in our part of Kent. Even my husband, who is the most patient person in the world, thinks it’s going slowly around here.

if you have to have your 70th birthday, I think now is the time to have it! My husband will be 70 in October, so he’ll be in the 65-69 group. Unless something drastic happens, it’ll be well into March until he gets the call. As for me, at the ‘young’ age of 60, I think it’ll be into April for me, at the earliest. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I always ask for an information sheet when I have my flu jab, which tells you the manufacturer and which strains it is protecting you from, plus of course the long list of possible side effects. Most of the standard vaccines are identical in chemical structure just made by different companies as they have come off patent and are generic. Some vaccines/drugs are specifically designed to suit people that may have other health issues, or whether they are adult or children etc. I agree that we have too much time at the moment. I have learned more about vaccines in the last 9 months than I did in the 30+ years I worked in pharmaceuticals. As an aside have a look at the history of the Polio vaccine.

Thank you Phil - appreciate your posts as you have some actual knowledge gleaned from experience in the industry.

On a side note, my mother was a research pharmacist and did some of her training in a chemist in Mytholmroyd, not a million miles from you (she was born in Luddenden Foot). In her last couple of years, when her faculties were not quite what they were, she carried on asking very searching and lengthy, but not always rational, questions of every drug and treatment that came her way, and there were quite a few...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

My mum and dad had the same time which I was pleased about as my mum is frail on her feet (Parkinson’s) but they were sent to different rooms for their actual jabs. I was a bit alarmed about this and said ‘but you took your stick?’ No, she didn’t think about it!! Luckily she was ok and when they had their 15 minute wait they were in the same room again!

Out in public my mum has not only fallen but pulled my dad over with her!! 

I was surprised she said we would be in together, but it sounded reasonable after she'd explained. No matter, we'll find out when we get there. The important thing is to have our jabs, we don't need to be holding hands😉

Avril

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Thank you Phil - appreciate your posts as you have some actual knowledge gleaned from experience in the industry.

On a side note, my mother was a research pharmacist and did some of her training in a chemist in Mytholmroyd, not a million miles from you (she was born in Luddenden Foot). In her last couple of years, when her faculties were not quite what they were, she carried on asking very searching and lengthy, but not always rational, questions of every drug and treatment that came her way, and there were quite a few...

My MIL has dementia and has no idea what is happening around her but can remember with clarity things that happened over 60 years ago, sometimes she will say something and you just wonder where that came from. The old memories are embedded, and I think that is true of most of us to a degree.

• Like 6