New vaccine

hollyjess

Our Anglo/Italian friend in Calabria but living in Broadstairs is 70 and hasn't even had a text yet.His wifes mum is 86 and having hers done tomorrow.2 other friends live in Essex but their mums live in East London, took them for their jabs at the Excel.Because they are in a caring bubble they were jabbed as well.They weren't expecting it but pleased,anyone else in a similar situation worth enquiring.Don't ask you don't get,lol.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2021 at 8:38 PM, Aulanis said:

I live approx 3 minutes away  (walking quickly)and know they have destroyed doses due to ntu's 

how do you get on a list?

Were you on a list?

I used to help out at the local health centre so they knew who I was 

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2021 at 7:47 PM, kalos said:

On 1/25/2021 at 7:47 PM, kalos said:

Best tell the NHS , they are the ones investigating it .

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/nhs-investigate-claims-covid-vaccine-19692827

Could be fake news and as I put in an earlier post if and that is if true then it is so wrong  but I would rather anyone get it rather than waste it .

You could be right in an organisation that large you can expect some favouritism but I still think it a fair system 

Edited by Bazrat
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 7:32 PM, Eglesbrech said:

I would rather see any random person passing the centre get the vaccine rather than it going to waste. That said there must be a way to ensure that the doses go to those in the priority groups, it just requires better planning.

How did they happen to have your contact details? 

I occasionally help out manning the phone lines at my local health centres so come in contact with the nurses and doctors there, plus the fact they had already contacted everyone on there list but some still did not turn up, as I only live 5 mins away they called me and I turned up just as they was closing.

• Like 6

Just reported initial stage 3 trials of Novavax are showing good results. Apparently we have ordered 60 million doses and it will be manufactured here. Reports indicate that supplies should be available from the middle of the year. However a report in the NY times says it is a lot less effective against the South African variant at about 50%

• Like 1

Excellent news about the Novavax vaccine for which Josy, I and probably others on here volunteered to be part of the phase 3 trials. 90% efficacy and no apparent safety issues. Good news is that we have 60 million doses ordered and made in UK (despite being USA based company).

• Like 8

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

Just reported initial stage 3 trials of Novavax are showing good results. Apparently we have ordered 60 million doses and it will be manufactured here. Reports indicate that supplies should be available from the middle of the year. However a report in the NY times says it is a lot less effective against the South African variant at about 50%

I think if approved, it will be available sooner. From what I have read, the way the vaccine works should make it easy to adjust to defeat other variants. What was trialled was on the ‘normal variant’ not others that have recently mutated, just like the others which have been through phase 3 trials.

• Like 1

Moving on a pace here, two more vaccination centres opened today and the Large centre that opened on Monday for key workers, took it first members of the public today. There are indications that 95% of care home patients have received their first dose the reminder expected to be completed by end of month. Considering we were lagging behind just over a week ago it’s a remarkable turnaround thanks to the dedication of NHS staff and volunteers recruited by local authority.

Heard today that we are one of test sites for the Lampore test which is spit test rather than swab, appears it is showing good results & picking up symptomless cases.

On the numbers front cases here are down by 23% over the last week - 701 new cases

152 people are in hospital with Covid and 21 people have died

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

I occasionally help out manning the phone lines at my local health centres so come in contact with the nurses and doctors there, plus the fact they had already contacted everyone on there list but some still did not turn up, as I only live 5 mins away they called me and I turned up just as they was closing.

That is how our (much younger) neighbour got vaccinated so early - she works in the office of a health centre. On the first day of vaccinations (Pfizer) several people did not turn up and the health centre were scrabbling round at the end of the day to find people to save wasting the doses (think it was a total of 5 doses unused).

I saw no problem at all with using it on whoever can be available immediately - but I was rather angry about people who do not let the centre know they will not be coming for their booked appointment.

• Like 12

30 minutes ago, davecttr said:

But there are doubts whether some of the others will be effective at all against the SA and Brazil variants. 

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

Excellent news about the Novavax vaccine for which Josy, I and probably others on here volunteered to be part of the phase 3 trials. 90% efficacy and no apparent safety issues. Good news is that we have 60 million doses ordered and made in UK (despite being USA based company).

Thats encouraging to hear and I am really grateful to you, Josy and others for taking part in the trials to make this possible 🙂 

• Like 8

Completely sensible in my view to use the vaccine on whoever they can rather than throw them away.

I’m a bit worried about this hoo har with the EU trying to stop our Pfizer orders, I’m due my 2nd jab on 31st March (exactly 12 weeks to the day) and I’m worried we won’t have any! I wonder what days difference a 14 week gap will make??

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Completely sensible in my view to use the vaccine on whoever they can rather than throw them away.

I’m a bit worried about this hoo har with the EU trying to stop our Pfizer orders, I’m due my 2nd jab on 31st March (exactly 12 weeks to the day) and I’m worried we won’t have any! I wonder what days difference a 14 week gap will make??

We won't know until the data comes in and is released. With about 2 million getting a jab per week there is a huge sample size building up. The 'Kent' variant might complicate matters and the SA variant might be even more complicating. By mid Feb they should have 15 million test group to analyse.

I am a little worried about that 12 week wait as well, however with little information where I live other than they are vaccinating I still don't know when I will get my first jab, maybe early March as I turn 70 then so should jump to the front of the queue, hopefully.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

She said it's safer to keep us in our 'bubble' and both go in together.

Avril

My mum and dad had the same time which I was pleased about as my mum is frail on her feet (Parkinson’s) but they were sent to different rooms for their actual jabs. I was a bit alarmed about this and said ‘but you took your stick?’ No, she didn’t think about it!! Luckily she was ok and when they had their 15 minute wait they were in the same room again!

Out in public my mum has not only fallen but pulled my dad over with her!! 

I have no direct knowledge of vaccines, but it does concern me that the German view of the AZ vaccine is that It’s unsuitable for the over 65s because there’s insufficient evidence of its efficacy.

The UK of course claims otherwise, but since the primary purpose of the present programme is to stop the NHS from completely collapsing, rather than protecting each individual vaccinated, arguably it doesn’t matter in the overall scheme of things.

It does, though, matter to the individuals being vaccinated, and I’d like to see a lot more clarity on this, particularly as our Pfizer supplies from Belgium now look to be at risk.

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

I have no direct knowledge of vaccines, but it does concern me that the German view of the AZ vaccine is that It’s unsuitable for the over 65s because there’s insufficient evidence of its efficacy.

The UK of course claims otherwise, but since the primary purpose of the present programme is to stop the NHS from completely collapsing, rather than protecting each individual vaccinated, arguably it doesn’t matter in the overall scheme of things.

It does, though, matter to the individuals being vaccinated, and I’d like to see a lot more clarity on this, particularly as our Pfizer supplies from Belgium now look to be at risk.

UK has looked at antibodies from the many over 65s that have been vaccinated and there was a good response, the Germans are just looking at the trial data.

You would like to think that UK has secured the 2nd doses of Pfizer for those that have had the 1st dose.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

UK has looked at antibodies from the many over 65s that have been vaccinated and there was a good response, the Germans are just looking at the trial data.

You would like to think that UK has secured the 2nd doses of Pfizer for those that have had the 1st dose.

If the Germans don't want to use it on a particular group , fine. More to send to other countries.

• Like 8

The Germans are simply saying they need to read up on test data for their over 65's which is their  prerogative , Israel  have done their tests and out of 700,000 people who were vaccinated, just 300 later contracted the virus, with only 16 requiring hospital treatment, according to preliminary data released by Israeli health officials. That sounds pretty good to me .

If I wanted to worry about testing I would be turning to all those Boeing 737Max  planes parked up at Manchester . They are deemed safe to fly again ,as the Germans say "A little more info please " :classic_unsure:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The Germans may have a point, there was concern regarding the dosing strength and it not being used in the over 55 age group in the initial 3rd phase trial. Further trials were conducted and MHRA approved the vaccine, in effect all the vaccines are still on trial. I always have doubts about efficacy claims being quite as good as figures show, but that is another story. The AZ vaccine has proved to be safe in the UK to date and there is no reason to suggest it shouldn't be. Only time will tell just how effective it is, (the flu vaccine is a good example as the efficacy can vary considerably from year to year). Germany has taken a different view and may or may not gain from that. If the vaccine is not as effective as claimed but provides a lesser degree of protection then that is still a better place to be than no vaccine. 

• Like 4