New vaccine

hollyjess

37 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I can hear the kettle going on in the kitchen and the sound of the toaster which means hot cross buns and jam.  Only 2.5 hours to a glass of wine as well!  It's not all bad.

Jean, it's Sunday - have a glass at 5 o'clock! 

• Like 2

I got a phone call on Friday evening do I want the jab threw me for a bit so I said yes, was told to go to local centre 5mins away from where I live I turned up gave my name etc and was given the Pfizer COVID jab I asked why, turns out a few people have not turned up and they had to use them.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

That's a difficult one to answer without annoying someone, but I'll try.

Most of the younger active working or non-working people have had infinitely much more freedom during the last 10 months than the seniors or the shielding. Frank 75 has been out once since March, to have his flu jab, and I've been out 3 times (73) There are some posters on here, you know who you are, that have been shielding for the whole 10 months and I think it's only right that they are allowed to have the vaccine asap. They and we need to live the remainder of our lives free, not closeted behind closed doors.

On a personal note, over this last 10 months, I have gone from being a happy optimist into a miserable old woman who can see no future. I cry every day and I have no interest in anything anymore, and I know I'm not the only one.I put on a happy front, but inside I'm falling apart.

So to some waiting another couple of months for the vaccine might not seem a long time, but to me and many others, it's a lifetime.

Avril

Oh Avril. I've just logged on and read your post. I am so sorry you are feeling so desolate about everything and I'm certain that countless numbers of us can totally empathise with you - which is probably no help at all!  I think so many of us are feeling not quite right at the moment because we all find ourselves in this totally unknown,  unnatural situation. I have only recently joined this forum and you have been so warm and welcoming, so kind to other members, and really funny at times. I can tell from all other members' (friends) posts how valued and loved you are and I hope you are cheered by that. Virtual hugs to you and very much understanding of your feelings. Take good care of yourself. Best wishes. Jane xxxx

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the funnies.

Just looked at the BBC website -  over 80s are getting letters offering appointments at the mass sites, but many are afraid that if they refuse them they may be crossed off the list.  Apparently not so, and they will be offered a GP or similar appointment in due course, but this is not made clear.  Not very helpful to a large group who may be a little confused and worried about the situation.  

• Like 4

Just a quick update from a vaccine hub: we've just finished for the weekend. Both Saturday and Sunday fully booked and just 2 dnas (did not attend). Loads of volunteers turned up to help with keeping the queue socially-distanced, cheering them up when the cold weather threatened to get too much, and helping the less able manoeuvre themselves into the vaccinators. We've been giving the Pfizer for 2 weeks and are expecting a delivery of the AstraZ on Wednesday.

Next week our hub is moving to a different surgery as we are rotating amongst the bigger premises that have good access for patients and capacity for storage and mixing of the vaccine.

We are hoping that by mid-February practices will be able to operate from their own premises as well as larger mass vaccination sites.

On a negative note, but nothing to do with the vaccine, I cannot believe how many idiots are out on the roads, on the streets, and in shops. I give up on people sometimes and, much as I am one, Londoners in particular who are beyond decent comment on a genteel forum like this one!

Best wishes all. Jane. X

• Like 14

10 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Thanks for the funnies.

Just looked at the BBC website -  over 80s are getting letters offering appointments at the mass sites, but many are afraid that if they refuse them they may be crossed off the list.  Apparently not so, and they will be offered a GP or similar appointment in due course, but this is not made clear.  Not very helpful to a large group who may be a little confused and worried about the situation.  

Hi lincslady. It's definitely not true that patients will be crossed of the list if they refuse a vaccine first time round. I suppose every practice will have their own way of following up these patients but we have made a list (old fashioned I know) of people who have refused. Unless they are definitely anti-vaxxers we've offered a follow-up call in a couple of weeks. They won't be lost in the system. Hope this helps. Jane

• Like 4

Thanks, Jane.  Yes, I was not worried personally, but did feel that the letter could have been more helpful.  I appreciate that to get as many as possible to attend the mass centres will  be good, and bump  the numbers up, but for a  proportion of over 80s it is not really practicable, with travel and walking problems etc.   It should be brilliant when it gets to the younger and active crowd.

We would have been fine even 5 years ago, but sadly things catch up with you in time, and while I could cope, my DH would be struggling with more than a minor journey and walking and standing time.

Anyway,  we have not yet had a letter, so will wait and see what happens.

31 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Hi lincslady. It's definitely not true that patients will be crossed of the list if they refuse a vaccine first time round. I suppose every practice will have their own way of following up these patients but we have made a list (old fashioned I know) of people who have refused. Unless they are definitely anti-vaxxers we've offered a follow-up call in a couple of weeks. They won't be lost in the system. Hope this helps. Jane

Here is the link to the story https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-55605149

Does anybody read these letters before they go out and realise they are being ambigious 😠

I don't think it is actually deliberate, at least with the 'workers', as for the 'bosses', I have had my fair share of those idiots in my over 30 years in the civil service. In the extreme crisis we have now I would have hoped that some really competent leaders would have emerged but apart from JVT ............:classic_sad:

ps - half a bottle of wine and two large G&T's has not made me happy so apologies. I fully intend to drink the rest of the wine and several more gins later. What I need is some of that Norwegian cheese I bought in Geiranger. It was brown and superb, can't remember the name 🍷 🍕  🍷 🍕  🍷 🍕

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I thought that the PM’s assertion the other day that people wouldn’t have to travel more than 10 miles for their jab was rather optimistic. 

Do you remember that thing some time ago about testing centres, no more than 30 mins walk for anyone in a urban area. I opened google earth and checked out the Medway Towns, It was true apart from the big river, the rail lines, the industrial estates, etc etc. Being a 🤓 i calculated that we we would need 12 centres for the Medway towns. It neve rhappened of course

Do yo relaise how difficult it is to tpe this----hic 😵🥳

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Thanks, Jane.  Yes, I was not worried personally, but did feel that the letter could have been more helpful.  I appreciate that to get as many as possible to attend the mass centres will  be good, and bump  the numbers up, but for a  proportion of over 80s it is not really practicable, with travel and walking problems etc.   It should be brilliant when it gets to the younger and active crowd.

We would have been fine even 5 years ago, but sadly things catch up with you in time, and while I could cope, my DH would be struggling with more than a minor journey and walking and standing time.

Anyway,  we have not yet had a letter, so will wait and see what happens.

I totally agree lincslady. Even a short journey for some over 80s is a challenge and we're all very sorry that it's proved such a task for some. After all, it's not the younger, active crowd this first wave of vaccs has been aimed at but it appears they are the only ones who would benefit from an out of area journey. I'm used to the peculiarities of NHS diktat but it must seem ludicrous to most. Do let us know when you receive your letter or phone call. Best wishes. Jane

• Like 2