The Daily for Sunday Dec 6, 2020

richwmn

image.thumb.jpeg.19e538e7632f02bb1f2fb37133a1e41e.jpeg

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺ENJOYING MY COFFEE BUT, AS OF 11:59pm TONIGHT OUR STRICT STAY AT HOME GOES INTO PLACE!! OUR COVID IS GOING UP AND I GET SO UPSET WHY PEOPLE STILL WON’T WEAR THERE MASKS!!  I AM SO HYPER VIGILANT!! WE WENT TO THE STORE GOT OUR GROCERIES AND WILL HONKER DOWN AS ALWAYS!! 3WEEKS!! 
🌺DEAR SISTERS JOY AND ANN!

I DID GET MY STITCHES OUT YESTERDAY 👍👍 DR. SAID I WAS VERY FORTUNATE THAT I WAS SPARED FROM 

IT ENTERING THE BONE!!😳IHAD NO IDEA IT WAS CLOSE!! NOW MY BADGE OF HONOR IS MY THUMBS UP 👍!!

🌺🌺TO EVERYONE!!! STAY SAFE PLEASE! I PRAY FOR ALL DAILY AND ALSO CELEBRATE THE HAPPINESS! 
🌺 I AM ONE WHO DAILY TRIES SO HARD TO BE POSITIVE!! WE NEED TO 

SMILE MORE!! AT LEAST I AM TRYING!

image.png.0661a93b57e0780c0ce0354fd431081b.png

LOVE TO ALL❤️

DENISE😊

• Like 19

Good morning all.  A good group of days and even the meal sounds good, we just happen to have a hot pot that is collecting dust.  I remember how intimidated we were when we got our first microwave, we would be lost without it now.  I good even go for the drink of the day right about now, brunch time.   The Christmas tree was hauled down yesterday and my fun began.  Why or why do I keep struggling with lights when it would be rather inexpensive to buy a new tree.  I do worry though - how to get rid of what I have now.   So, let the decorating begin, but first I have to prepare the filling for the steak pie.  My best to those on Roy's list and my thanks to all who keep coming back to this thread every day and contribute to making it the happiest one on CC.

• Like 10

Good morning all. Have to say that as a single person I do an awful lot of microwave meals.... mainly heating up left overs which can stretch out over several days after the original meal has been prepared. So I am happy to give it a day of its own to celebrate.

Very little decorating here. I used to put up a tree with many of the antique ornaments I inherited from my parents (does anyone else remember how ugly the ones made during WWII were?). I still have most of them both from WWII days and earlier.... but I simply can not get a tree up any longer. I do get out some other decorations and string up my cards. I mainly settle for the music which I dearly love. As an aside, I am really surprised any the old ornaments are still with me.... we had cats and I remember the tree coming down many times. And one of my dogs undecorated some lower branches once and put the ornaments on the sofa. She did not break any of them.

Susan

• Like 12

Good morning, all, happy feast of St. Nicholas, and second Sunday of Advent!

Pat got fitted for his new hearing (listening?) aids yesterday, and they will be ready to be picked up in three weeks.  Something to look forward to in the New Year...  At the moment, I am always asking him to lower the volume on the TV, perhaps I will be asking him to up it in the future!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Great quote today, I don't know how we lived without microwave ovens (or dishwashers, etc. etc.) and a Cranberry Mimosa sounds oh so wonderful!

@ger_77it sounds like you and your DH have the same ritual we do -- DH gets the tree home, sets it up, curses about the lights, and I decorate it.  😄 I also do it a little differently each year, but our travel ornaments are always included.  I only got as far as getting the lights on yesterday then rewarded myself with the first bit of Alton Brown Egg Nog I've had "brewing" since last month.  Yum!

Here's something a friend shared yesterday on Facebook that I found uplifting right now.  

T'was a month before Christmas,

And all through the town,

People wore masks,

That covered their frown.

The frown had begun

Way back in the Spring,

When a global pandemic

Changed everything.

They called it corona,

But unlike the beer,

It didn’t bring good times,

It didn’t bring cheer.

Contagious and deadly,

This virus spread fast,

Like a wildfire that starts

When fueled by gas.

Airplanes were grounded,

Travel was banned.

Borders were closed

Across air, sea and land.

As the world entered lockdown

To flatten the curve,

The economy halted,

And folks lost their verve.

From March to July

We rode the first wave,

People stayed home,

They tried to behave.

When summer emerged

The lockdown was lifted.

But away from caution,

Many folks drifted.

Now it’s November

And cases are spiking,

Wave two has arrived,

Much to our disliking.

Frontline workers,

Doctors and nurses,

Try to save people,

From riding in hearses.

This virus is awful,

This COVID-19.

There isn’t a cure.

There is no vaccine.

It’s true that this year

Has had sadness a plenty,

We’ll never forget

The year 2020.

And just ‘round the corner -

The holiday season,

But why be merry?

Is there even one reason?

To decorate the house

And put up the tree,

When no one will see it,

No one but me.

But outside my window

The snow gently falls,

And I think to myself,

Let’s deck the halls!

So, I gather the ribbon,

The garland and bows,

As I play those old carols,

My happiness grows.

Christmas is not cancelled

And neither is hope.

If we lean on each other,

I know we can cope.

I love the poem!

• Like 3

Rich:  Thank you for the Daily Fleet report.  I Wonder why the NA is transiting the locks.  I was looking at a NA cruse r\that is to leave FT. Lauderdale the Wednesday after Easter. I opted for the N statendam from the 11th to 18th of April. I hope it is a "go."  Thanks for all who have contrbuted to the DAILY.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Very little decorating here. I used to put up a tree with many of the antique ornaments I inherited from my parents

I still have some from my parents too, actually I think they go back to my grandparents.  These aren't ugly, so maybe not from WWII era?   I've lost a few over the years because they're so old and brittle and cherish the ones I have. 

• Like 3

Good morning, all! The microwave will get used at some point - probably to reheat forgotten cups of coffee. Love the quote! I am a huge fan of my Instant Pot, and of lasagne, but have never combined the two. The time has come! Cranberry Mimosa is my traditional Christmas morning drink, so I’ll save it until then. 
I expect our provincial Covid restrictions will get extended tomorrow, as the numbers have done anything but improve. May as well accept the inevitable, so today’s job is making Christmas theme face masks for the holidays. I look forward to laughing about all this next Christmas.

meanwhile, Happy Sunday courtesy of the Amsterdam elevators!

18E640E4-5832-433B-A509-767AAE8DABF8.jpeg

• Like 7

Late to the party today but lots of memories from the postings.  First microwaves were the Amanda Radar Range.  Spent a few hours in graduate school testing them.  At the radar site we could warm our coffee from the radar antennas..  Love to cook and couldn’t dream of not having one.

Also, LOVE my Instant Pot.  Never made lasagna in it but tonight is Beef Stew in the Pot...

I, too, wish the Panama cameras were up.  Love to watch the transits.

Cheers to all...

• Like 9

Hello, thanks and good day all!   Glad to hear some more good news,  Denise on the finger.  

We celebrated our daughter’s convocation for her Masters degree she completed while under Covid lockdown with three kids at home.  It was an online graduation, but I still cried.  So yesterday we were able to meet in a park to celebrate in person.  There will be some real parties and travel when this is over.   Light at the end of the tunnel!  Stay safe in the meantime! 6A53D4F1-FF88-413E-B606-D9B5BDD8B3B1.thumb.jpeg.3ed5f685fd76488ba71113de0b274cc0.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if anyone has the same memory as I of the first time I ever saw a microwave?

Don’t  remember the year, but I was watching the TV program, “ I’ve Got a Secret” It had to be late 50s, early 60s.

The “secret“ was a man who brought on an “oven” that could cook things in very short amounts of time. A demonstration was given, and the panel was amazed!

My first microwave was one I used to heat up my son’s bottles in 1982.

I was afraid, but my husband insisted it was safe! Now one heats up my coffee all day long

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

I wonder if anyone has the same memory as I of the first time I ever saw a microwave?

Don’t  remember the year, but I was watching the TV program, “ I’ve Got a Secret” It had to be late 50s, early 60s.

The “secret“ was a man who brought on an “oven” that could cook things in very short amounts of time. A demonstration was given, and the panel was amazed!

My first microwave was one I used to heat up my son’s bottles in 1982.

I was afraid, but my husband insisted it was safe! Now one heats up my coffee all day long

While I don’t share that particular memory, (I was still a twinkle in my parents eyes in the’50s), my first experience with a microwave was visiting an uncle’s house. He was a brilliant man, (and held many patents of his own). He had been familiar with the microwave technology and somehow got one. It was huge and expensive. I remember my aunt boiling water in it to demonstrate it’s capability.

That particular aunt and uncle loved to cruise, and they stayed with us pre-cruise a couple of times. Their favorite line: Royal Viking. Per dates given previously on this board for the 3 ships, they must have cruised both of Prinsendam’s older sisters. We even got to go aboard to visit for a few hours. Then prior to sail away. We threw streamers towards the ship, and vice-versa. Lovely memories.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Here's something a friend shared yesterday on Facebook that I found uplifting right now.  

T'was a month before Christmas,

And all through the town,

People wore masks,

That covered their frown.

The frown had begun

Way back in the Spring,

When a global pandemic

Changed everything.

They called it corona,

But unlike the beer,

It didn’t bring good times,

It didn’t bring cheer.

Contagious and deadly,

This virus spread fast,

Like a wildfire that starts

When fueled by gas.

Airplanes were grounded,

Travel was banned.

Borders were closed

Across air, sea and land.

As the world entered lockdown

To flatten the curve,

The economy halted,

And folks lost their verve.

From March to July

We rode the first wave,

People stayed home,

They tried to behave.

When summer emerged

The lockdown was lifted.

But away from caution,

Many folks drifted.

Now it’s November

And cases are spiking,

Wave two has arrived,

Much to our disliking.

Frontline workers,

Doctors and nurses,

Try to save people,

From riding in hearses.

This virus is awful,

This COVID-19.

There isn’t a cure.

There is no vaccine.

It’s true that this year

Has had sadness a plenty,

We’ll never forget

The year 2020.

And just ‘round the corner -

The holiday season,

But why be merry?

Is there even one reason?

To decorate the house

And put up the tree,

When no one will see it,

No one but me.

But outside my window

The snow gently falls,

And I think to myself,

Let’s deck the halls!

So, I gather the ribbon,

The garland and bows,

As I play those old carols,

My happiness grows.

Christmas is not cancelled

And neither is hope.

If we lean on each other,

I know we can cope.

Thank you for sharing this poem.

• Like 4

Happy Sunday evening everyone!  Very late today. Thank you for the Daily Rich. 

I remember our first microwave in the 70’s. It was so big that we had to buy a special stand for it. My husband uses our current one on a daily basis for his lunches and to warm up his tea. 

I was actually thinking of making lasagna tomorrow with my leftover Bolognese sauce but not in my instant pot. 

Have a great evening everyone!

• Like 6

My father worked for the electric utility company which also sold appliances.  The first microwave I saw was the radar range he and my stepmother had in the mid 70s.  Our first one was a Litton, which weighed a ton.  It went out in the late 70s.  I got a replacement and somehow got it out of the car, into the house, up three steps and into the kitchen, where it sat until DH got home, and we could get it upon the counter.  Of course, I was a lot younger then.

We haven’t been without one since.  Used ours to heat soup for supper today.

Lenda

• Like 4

Since I left college I have almost never been home for much of the season so I do very little decorating.  At first it was my parents pretty much every year until they were gone.  Most years it has been with my brother if not travelling extensively so I felt I needed to be home,  Where I have a cruise right around New Years I must be at home (I need to be physically at the fire house sometime in January for some tax documents (I've been know to do them New Years Day and be on the way to a cruise that night) so there isn't time for taking down much in the way of decorations.  The one thing I do pretty consistently is buy a wreath from a group at my church who repairs homes each summer in Appalachia.  I picked up my wreath today,.

IMG_8972.JPG.ddfb714cc38c34d4c2c4f858e169fd0e.JPG

I have a couple of times strung battery operated lights on a tree in front of the house.  I went a bit further this year:

IMG_8973.JPG.32d00d743e806d983be668c3e81c95fe.JPG

There was also a discussion of magnets and ornaments.  Since I haven't had a tree, I never bothered with ornaments.  The magnets I collect are the alligator clip type:

IMG_8971.JPG.6804aa8d4a08c9f991ffcc35a4306081.JPG

I use them on cruises to hang things like daily programs, itinerary, tickets, and the like on the walls which are typically steel and hold magnets (unfortunately, that never worked on most R&S class walls but has on virtually all other ships.

Roy

• Like 13

19 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Since I left college I have almost never been home for much of the season so I do very little decorating.  At first it was my parents pretty much every year until they were gone.  Most years it has been with my brother if not travelling extensively so I felt I needed to be home,  Where I have a cruise right around New Years I must be at home (I need to be physically at the fire house sometime in January for some tax documents (I've been know to do them New Years Day and be on the way to a cruise that night) so there isn't time for taking down much in the way of decorations.  The one thing I do pretty consistently is buy a wreath from a group at my church who repairs homes each summer in Appalachia.  I picked up my wreath today,.

I have a couple of times strung battery operated lights on a tree in front of the house.  I went a bit further this year:

There was also a discussion of magnets and ornaments.  Since I haven't had a tree, I never bothered with ornaments.  The magnets I collect are the alligator clip type:

I use them on cruises to hang things like daily programs, itinerary, tickets, and the like on the walls which are typically steel and hold magnets (unfortunately, that never worked on most R&S class walls but has on virtually all other ships.

Roy

Hi Roy!! Thank you so much for sharing this evening. I like your photo of decorations!  Tomorrow starts a new week and The Daily! Appreciate your contributions always.

Denise😊

• Like 6

I've gone back today to read the discussions from late Sunday on the Daily, and am enjoying the memories brought back about the microwave discussions.  I remember how confused we all were when they were first introduced.  We built home #2 in 1978 and installed a microwave over range which was a brand new concept in that day and age.  I believe that one was a GE.  I was thrilled I could take some frozen meat out of the freezer and defrost it in a short period of time so dinner wouldn't have to be "breakfast" that evening.  Sometimes you just can't decide what to have for dinner early in the day, you know!

Unfortunately we moved from that home to a new home in another state the following year when DH changed jobs, so we installed another microwave over range in home #3.  That one may have been a Litton.  I have two cookbooks that came with each of those ranges (GE and Litton) and they are pretty extensive cookbooks.  We basically had to look up how to cook and for how long every time we used it, until we got better at it.  

Very fond memories of the "old days".  

• Like 4

21 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Pleased to see that you have some some decorating,will you be spending Christmas Day with company?