P&O Arvia Construction

Monorail Orange

Just like the Iona construction thread, I thought we should have one for Iona's sister, due to launch late '22.

I've nick named her 'MS 2022' for the thread title (as its better than her build number S.716). I'm hoping we can change that when we know her name.

P&O did update their social media with a small teaser earlier, stating:

Get ready for the latest addition to the P&O Cruises family… Iona’s sister ship is taking shape.
Over the coming months, we’ll bring you the latest updates on her build, starting in the new year when she’ll be given her name

So, if anyone finds any news, we can post it in here.
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Had a email this morning about the new sister ship to Iona, and that was a waste of time watching, very disappointing in sending emails like that 😔

Yes I had that too - 11 second video of nothing 😄

• Like 3

The marketing dept have certainly swung back into action - I received the email too and also got a snail mailshot majoring on Iona but also including 4 other cruises too.

Of course, not all of us who are talking about the new build intend sailing on her...

• Like 2

You beat me to it.  I was going to start a follow on thread from my Iona build one.  Got caught up in a Teams meeting instead.  Something has to pay for my cruises.

After this years major disappointment of not being able to sail on Iona, and the high fluid priced alternative to book for 2021, booked up instead for 2022 in the same cabin we would have had.

We will look at Gala 2 maiden if we can, possibly late 2022 I believe.

Will try and find photos and videos as before and post in this thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Any name guesses?

No name competition this time around, so I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.

I suppose there's always the old names to dust off, such as Canberra, but they missed that trick on the last two, so I guess they're unlikely to choose it this time around.

They'd already named Iona before Oriana's retirement was annouced, but that does mean that the name is now availble this time around.

Question is, do they dare? I'm sure some would not be happy..

23 minutes ago, Monorail Orange said:

No name competition this time around, so I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.

I suppose there's always the old names to dust off, such as Canberra, but they missed that trick on the last two, so I guess they're unlikely to choose it this time around.

They'd already named Iona before Oriana's retirement was annouced, but that does mean that the name is now availble this time around.

Question is, do they dare? I'm sure some would not be happy..

Did I dream that 'Oceana' was being considered? 

Sure I heard thar somewhere.. 

Andy 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Britboys said:

They could continue the trend and name it after another Scottish Island. There is (honestly!) one called Bigga...😄

Given that she will be near identical to Iona, I would be staggered if she wasn’t named after another Scottish Island. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

I've not heard that myself, but its available. If its between Oriana and Oceana, I think they'd go with the former due to its cachet.

24 minutes ago, Monorail Orange said:

I've not heard that myself, but its available. If its between Oriana and Oceana, I think they'd go with the former due to its cachet.

I am sure someone mentioned it when Oceana was sold, but probably only speculation, unless I really did dream it... 

Andy 

52 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

I think Oriana is more likely than Oceana, the former is a well used P&O name, but the latter is merely a modification of the ships Princess name.

• Like 1

Personally, I don't think they will go for a traditional name as they will want something that appeals to the younger demographic they are aiming these ships at. There are one or two other Scottish islands that end in 'a' they could choose.

I really hope they don't use Oriana again so soon.

I can't find a Welsh Island ending in 'a' so if they want to foster a Welsh connection, perhaps they will choose the island of Ynys y Big...😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I think Oriana is more likely than Oceana, the former is a well used P&O name, but the latter is merely a modification of the ships Princess name.

Also, Oceana is easily confused with Oceania.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

It was mentioned on another thread by Molecrochip a week or so ago as the name he had heard mentioned most this year.  It seems Corona was a likely name as of last year as it is to be the sun ship of the fleet, but for some obscure reason he thought that was somewhat less likely now............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1