RCI Quantum of the Seas Outbreak

RWolver672

Wow, just buy a lottery ticket already!! An 83 year old man in a country with virtually no COVID cases manages to run into someone carrying COVID in the 48 hours after he tests negative and boards his cruise.  Like its just impossible to form the words right now.  its that window (might as well be a Barn door) between the PCR test and getting on the ship that has to be closed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not until all crew and guests can provide proof of 2x vaccine doses will it be safe(r) to cruise again. Even then, it will probably take several months until herd immunity is achieved and it hopefully will be close to eradicated. Fingers crossed for my Nov 2021 cruise out of Miami 🙂

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, loohoo1 said:

Not until all crew and guests can provide proof of 2x vaccine doses will it be safe(r) to cruise again. Even then, it will probably take several months until herd immunity is achieved and it hopefully will be close to eradicated. Fingers crossed for my Nov 2021 cruise out of Miami 🙂

Except with the vaccine that is only one dose. 

• Like 2

The concern should not be that a a case of COVID has gotten on to a ship, as that should have been expected. The true test is to see if it genuinely turns into an outbreak (as the subject of this thread is prematurely predicting) or if the safety protocols that have been mandated will help to mitigate the spread; as they are supposed to. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

On the RCCL board, they are reporting the ship test was a false positive. 2nd test by Singapore showed negative Coronavirus.  They'll conduct another tomorrow.

Guy was 83, had diarrhea , went to ship doctor.

Yep several reporting now was a false positive. ...something to look forward to on my next cruise. At least I got a really nice balcony to quarantine in if my April cruise goes.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tm_aw_love said:

The concern should not be that a a case of COVID has gotten on to a ship, as that should have been expected. The true test is to see if it genuinely turns into an outbreak (as the subject of this thread is prematurely predicting) or if the safety protocols that have been mandated will help to mitigate the spread; as they are supposed to. 

Outbreak definition, a sudden breaking out or occurrenceespecially of something bad or unpleasant

44 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Yep several reporting now was a false positive. ...something to look forward to on my next cruise. At least I got a really nice balcony to quarantine in if my April cruise goes.

Exactly! I’m glad we sprung for the suite in April. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jfunk138 said:

What exactly is an 83 year old person doing on a cruise right now?  If they want to get things going again, let's start with low risk people first.

It really wouldn't matter since a positive test would require the same protocol to be followed regardless of person's age.

As far as a personal opinion, I agree that any cruiser who isn't low risk is playing a dangerous game with their own health.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

At least I got a really nice balcony to quarantine in if my April cruise goes.

LOL. That has crossed my mind too.  I'm one of those who bounces around room types, and my next two are insides.  I don't know how I feel about that now...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, naxer said:

LOL. That has crossed my mind too.  I'm one of those who bounces around room types, and my next two are insides.  I don't know how I feel about that now...

I got port holes inside for sept. Surely by then I'll be vaccinated??!!

Yes for close in I wanted fresh air for sure. I bounce around room types myself, i like to play switcheroo and know what other cabins are like and i used to have pictures to post. But took a break from cruising. 

But close in, you might want to hope for a royal up or something. Or a free upgrade, if a lot cancel. I'm already in a D2 so I'm not expecting anything but fresh air. JS sold out the day they announced double pts promotion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jfunk138 said:

What exactly is an 83 year old person doing on a cruise right now?  If they want to get things going again, let's start with low risk people first.

I'm not low risk, I'm hoping to be vaccinated but if not I'll still go, though I'm not 83.

Lots of people in usa have health risks. Personally I wouldnt cruise or not cruise because someone who might have hidden health risks passes judgement, but I know we are all bored and easy to judge others.

If I'm not vaccinated I will really social distance and take extra precautions.  I have anytime dining to eat alone, and probably wouldnt get off in ports until I'm vaccinated... but that's up to me not others to decide.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, keywest1 said:

It really wouldn't matter since a positive test would require the same protocol to be followed regardless of person's age.

As far as a personal opinion, I agree that any cruiser who isn't low risk is playing a dangerous game with their own health.

Age isn't the only factor in contracting the virus.  Just because a person is 83, doesn't in and of itself mean he is in poor health.  Singapore has a very very low rate of infection and he tested negative prior to cruise.  Anyone at any age can get diarrhea from food.  And subsequently it was determined the test was a false positive.   

It's completely predictable this was going to happen.  It seems the cruise lines are going to false start there way into bankruptcy court.  The hospital numbers in NC are going through the roof along with the numbers all over the country.  I don't know what the numbers are in Singapore, but I hope this is a cautionary tale for the restarting of cruising in the US in the middle of the dumpster fire we are in the middle of right now.  

5 hours ago, skridge said:

It's completely predictable this was going to happen.  It seems the cruise lines are going to false start there way into bankruptcy court.  The hospital numbers in NC are going through the roof along with the numbers all over the country.  I don't know what the numbers are in Singapore, but I hope this is a cautionary tale for the restarting of cruising in the US in the middle of the dumpster fire we are in the middle of right now.  

The 83 yo with diarrhea had 2 other tests that were negative, once he was off the ship. So no Covid. And the numbers in Singapore are very low.

From Feb 1 to Nov 28, over 500k have died from heart disease. I would think more people would think about getting healthy, than getting Covid. There, I said it. Flame away.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

The 83 yo with diarrhea had 2 other tests that were negative, once he was off the ship. So no Covid. And the numbers in Singapore are very low.

From Feb 1 to Nov 28, over 500k have died from heart disease. I would think more people would think about getting healthy, than getting Covid. There, I said it. Flame away.

And there is no science that says shutting down business helps stop the spread. If it did calif would be way down vs florida. Unfortunately when you lock people down they spread it at home. 

I must have covid fatigue, I'm numb to it. My dad needed a drug today, so off I went to pick it up. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

And there is no science that says shutting down business helps stop the spread. If it did calif would be way down vs florida. Unfortunately when you lock people down they spread it at home. 

I must have covid fatigue, I'm numb to it. My dad needed a drug today, so off I went to pick it up. 

My daughter is an NP down in San Diego, and has seen hundreds of patients since March (and before). They had one case in 3 offices, and she hasn’t even had to test yet. Unfortunately, large populous areas that have high numbers will shut down a whole state. San Diego pays the price for Los Angeles.

• Like 1