Changes for travellers from 1 January, post Brexit

Harry Peterson

16 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I did point out earlier that fishing, despite the tiny size of its industry, has unfortunately become the poster icon for brexit, Boris is never going to "sacrifice" it, just like the sanctity of the "Single Market", is too iconic for the EU to back down, even though the UK is very likely to remain in line, or better, than the EU regulations.

It is a shame that we can't both be brave enough to just sign, we don't have a fishing industry large enough to fulfil the current EU quotas, so until we do we could agree a taper, and we could defer any dispute on the level playing field until there is actually a regulation we are no longer meeting.

100% agree. Symbolic posturing will get us nowhere.. 

• Like 1

One final thought. 

We all agree (hopefully) that Brexit, like it or not, is a done deal. 

It looks increasingly likely that there will be a "No Deal" Brexit, which will consequently prove expensive to the UK, as there is no evidence to the contrary.

My hope is that we do not become an island of xenophobes, and that, despite our self imposed isolation,   we do  not turn our backs on the rest of the world. Strength comes from unity, not separation. 

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I agree entirely but the mention of naval vessels enforcing ‘our fishing grounds’ is very worrying. 

One last final thought.

I'm not sure that the RN can rustle up more than two or three navy vessels to enforce the protection of our fishing grounds. 

I suppose they could stick a few machine guns on Arcadia and she could patrol the channel, but the idea that the UK has the means to protect our waters is preposterous. 

And, to be honest, what would we do with the fish anyway ? Oh, yes, sell it to France!  

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Here's a thought though - a novel one.  How about putting the interests of the WHOLE country first?  🤫

Harry, all politicians look after their own voters first, then the rest of the country, it's always been that way and you or I won't change it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

icI did point out earlier that fishing, despite the tiny size of its industry, has unfortunately become the poster icon for brexit, Boris is never going to "sacrifice" it, just like the sanctity of the "Single Market", is too iconic for the EU to back down, even though the UK is very likely to remain in line, or better, than the EU regulations.

It is a shame that we can't both be brave enough to just sign, we don't have a fishing industry large enough to fulfil the current EU quotas, so until we do we could agree a taper, and we could defer any dispute on the level playing field until there is actually a regulation we are no longer meeting.

Maybe more like existential rather than iconic

• Like 1

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Harry, all politicians look after their own voters first, then the rest of the country, it's always been that way and you or I won't change it.

Many seem to look after themselves first, then their voters followed by the rest of the country.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, pete14 said:

I agree entirely but the mention of naval vessels enforcing ‘our fishing grounds’ is very worrying. 

Especially to the Navy. Are these 4 patrol vessels the same ones that are currently policing the illegal immigration traffic? Also over the several Icelandic cod wars spanning decades it was discovered by both sides that naval vessels suffered significant damage in 'coming together' with stoutly built fishing vessels

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

One last final thought.

I'm not sure that the RN can rustle up more than two or three navy vessels to enforce the protection of our fishing grounds. 

I suppose they could stick a few machine guns on Arcadia and she could patrol the channel, but the idea that the UK has the means to protect our waters is preposterous. 

And, to be honest, what would we do with the fish anyway ? Oh, yes, sell it to France!  

I wouldn't mind being a pescatarian.Healthy diet,NHS quids in.

14 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I wouldn't mind being a pescatarian.Healthy diet,NHS quids in.

But shooting civilians is considered either a war crime or murder, although you could probably find a few thousand head bangers who would be happy to do it 😨😉

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, davecttr said:

But shooting civilians is considered either a war crime or murder, although you could probably find a few thousand head bangers who would be happy to do it 😨😉

I didn't know that being a pescatarian involved shooting civilians . No more fish for me then 🤔. Every day's a school day.

• Like 1

Looking back over 60 years ago I used to love nothing better than 
a trip in my dad's truck to Grimsby or Hull docks taking goods
there for export . The docks were just a great mass of fishing trawlers
and the best bit was the trawler men would sell you some fish straight 
off the boat and plenty of it yours for a few bob in those days .
Sadly due to the cod wars those days have gone and very little of that 
fishing fleet remain .
I must say though if we are to get our fishing rights back with very little 
in the way of trawlers to send out there ,I do remain upbeat about it .
I can see it now ,some UK war ship laden with fishing nets trawling 
up and down the coast off Cleethorpes catching our UK fish .
Even though we we have very few trawlers at Hull & Grimsby ,
if I do get to visit these ports I will look forward to shouting over 
to the crew of our warships " Any spare fish mate ? "
Happy days again .:classic_unsure::classic_smile:

Talk about sustainable fishing ? We will be world beaters :classic_wacko:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

Maybe more like existential rather than iconic

So true, it's there so it has to stay!

There is hardly a cigarette papers difference between the EU's dogmatic view of the single market, and our stupid allegiance to a long dead fishing industry, but that's what is going to scupper a trade deal.

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Oh my cod,that's the one that got away.Does this mean I'll be fried at that court in the Hake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

We’re already semi-controlled by America, and have been for years under the ‘special relationship’ lie.  On our own we’re likely to become a 100% subsidiary.

Sound like you love our country. Is anything ok , or are we really all doomed?.

3 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Basil said that not Brian.

We won't be able to import any basil. I think it all comes from Italy so the tariff will be squillions. If we let the Luxembourgian fishing fleet into Cornwall, they may bung us a bit of basil. 🤣

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Looking back over 60 years ago I used to love nothing better than 
a trip in my dad's truck to Grimsby or Hull docks taking goods
there for export . The docks were just a great mass of fishing trawlers
and the best bit was the trawler men would sell you some fish straight 
off the boat and plenty of it yours for a few bob in those days .
Sadly due to the cod wars those days have gone and very little of that 
fishing fleet remain .
I must say though if we are to get our fishing rights back with very little 
in the way of trawlers to send out there ,I do remain upbeat about it .
I can see it now ,some UK war ship laden with fishing nets trawling 
up and down the coast off Cleethorpes catching our UK fish .
Even though we we have very few trawlers at Hull & Grimsby ,
if I do get to visit these ports I will look forward to shouting over 
to the crew of our warships " Any spare fish mate ? "
Happy days again .:classic_unsure::classic_smile:

Talk about sustainable fishing ? We will be world beaters :classic_wacko:

Thanks for posting.  Brought back some pleasant memories of a bit less than 60 years ago when my dad used to take me in his truck into Tilbury docks to look at the ships. Before driving lorries he's been in the merchant navy and always liked looking at the ships again and telling a few sea stories.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Thanks for posting.  Brought back some pleasant memories of a bit less than 60 years ago when my dad used to take me in his truck into Tilbury docks to look at the ships. Before driving lorries he's been in the merchant navy and always liked looking at the ships again and telling a few sea stories.

My uncle worked for Ellerman Lines in Tilbury, never forget him taking me onboard one of the ships, City of Durban I seem to recall, and having lunch onboard. It would have been about 1964. Tilbury was so busy in those days, as was all of the Port of London.