Changes for travellers from 1 January, post Brexit

Harry Peterson

35 minutes ago, zeberdee said:

When people say we used to travel to Europe before joining, please remember time has moved on and we no longer live in the 'Old days'.  

You are spot on, it is how we deal with the future that matters now. When I was a lad blah, blah, blah.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

That's ok zap, you're forgiven. Sorry I can't stop to chat, just on my way to Barney Castle for an eye test😜🤣

Avril

Avril. I just looked on U tube and can't find a singer called Barney Castle. Is he a solo artist, or in a boy band?.🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

That's ok zap, you're forgiven. Sorry I can't stop to chat, just on my way to Barney Castle for an eye test😜🤣

Avril

Avril. I just looked on U tube and can't find a singer called Barney Castle. Is he a solo artist, or in a boy band?.🤣

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

There are only a handful of shipping vessels in Sunderland Port where there used to be many.

Not exactly your neck of the woods, Graham, but as a small boy I have happy memories of standing on the quayside at Yarmouth, possibly Lowestoft, watching the trawlers unloading herring. They even lobbed me a couple to take home for tea - never forgotten it. 

You’ll know the smokery at Craster though!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zeberdee said:

When people say we used to travel to Europe before joining, please remember time has moved on and we no longer live in the 'Old days'.  

Ouch!!!  I do apologise for having lived part of my life before joining the EU and having the temerity to mention it. 

Avril

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not exactly your neck of the woods, Graham, but as a small boy I have happy memories of standing on the quayside at Yarmouth, possibly Lowestoft, watching the trawlers unloading herring. They even lobbed me a couple to take home for tea - never forgotten it. 

You’ll know the smokery at Craster though!

We passed through Craster earlier in the year when we visited Bamburgh Castle,Seahouses and drove back down the Northumberland coastline.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Ouch!!!  I do apologise for having lived part of my life before joining the EU and having the temerity to mention it. 

Avril

Ha ha you and me both Avril.  Used to take my little car across on the ferry with a girlfriend.  No fuss at all. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Ha ha you and me both Avril.  Used to take my little car across on the ferry with a girlfriend.  No fuss at all. 

No fuss apart from International Driving Permit, Green card and the little matter of exchanges controls. The first 2 will return in January, the third can’t be ruled out either. 

On 12/11/2020 at 8:11 PM, Ardennais said:

... with pestering vendors and don’t forget the carpet factories (shudder).

Never had a problem. Always found them friendly and willing to take a hint if you weren't interested. Got some great bargains. Now Tunisia - that was a problem. One trader even climbed onto the coach still trying to make a sale.

24 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

No fuss apart from International Driving Permit, Green card and the little matter of exchanges controls. The first 2 will return in January, the third can’t be ruled out either. 

Exactly - strange how memory plays tricks on you! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I suspect large numbers of people haven't yet realised just what is happening on 1 January because of the transition period.

One certainty about Jan 1st - many hangovers 🥴🤢😈

Have not had a hangover for many years 😇

10 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

The first 2 are no problem the third something is only you have mentioned. Surely you wouldn't just make things up.🤔

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Exactly - strange how memory plays tricks on you! 

I have an international driving permit and my car insurer have said that if green cards are required they will issue them automatically, without charge. My memory isn't playing tricks. What does your insurer say?. Do you know?.

10 minutes ago, zap99 said:

The first 2 are no problem the third something is only you have mentioned. Surely you wouldn't just make things up.🤔

I had also read that most countries will continue to accept UK driving licenses, surely you're not trying to re-create project fear Snow Hill, are you?

Edited by terrierjohn

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I had also read that most countries will continue to accept UK driving licenses, surely you're not trying to re-create project fear Snow Hill, are you?

I'm a bit worried about Tulips from Amsterdam for DW's birthday. Looks like she may have to be given Daffs from the Scilly Isles. Not too bothered about sprouts as we have been stockpiling them. As for exchange controls £50 a year should last. It did in 1970.

24 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I have an international driving permit and my car insurer have said that if green cards are required they will issue them automatically, without charge. My memory isn't playing tricks. What does my your insurer say?. Do you know?.

My insurer has said that they will also issue green cards free of charge.

24 minutes ago, zap99 said:

And you don't know either.

On the contrary. We already know a lot of what’s inevitably going to happen, deal or no deal. Which is why huge lorry parks have been built in Kent, and why delays are already happening. 

Even the government is warning of problems.

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

On the contrary. We already know a lot of what’s inevitably going to happen, deal or no deal. Which is why huge lorry parks have been built in Kent, and why delays are already happening. 

Even the government is warning of problems.

If the authorities didn't build things just in case all the fuss would be reversed. If course 63% of lorries in those parks will be foreign registered. With all the lorries parked all over Kent for the last few years, a few lorry parks are well overdue.