Changes for travellers from 1 January, post Brexit

Harry Peterson

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

They are owned by telefonica who presumably allow O2 to piggy back on their european networks.

Thanks . Does that affect USA/Canada. If so we will need to find free WiFi in Alaska. I think I get WiFi in the Celebrity ship. Looks like turn off the roaming and log onto McDonalds.

1 minute ago, alija1960 said:

Perhaps we could all go to Guernsey or Jersey if want a little continental flavour,  Iceland, shame that Monaco and San Marino are surrounded or they would be lovely options

Switzerland has some decent skiing, but not so with Egypt. How will Philip Green get on?.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Thanks . Does that affect USA/Canada. If so we will need to find free WiFi in Alaska. I think I get WiFi in the Celebrity ship. Looks like turn off the roaming and log onto McDonalds.

Celebrity does now include free wi-fi, so as you say switch off mobile data while on the ship and off you go.  I assume if your wifes phone is advertised as free roaming in USA and Canada then thats what you will have.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Celebrity does now include free wi-fi, so as you say switch off mobile data while on the ship and off you go.  I assume if your wifes phone is advertised as free roaming in USA and Canada then thats what you will have.

Her tariff includes roaming in USA and Canada. We used it last year. Saved a fortune.

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

That's not the answer to the question I asked, but I'm leaving it here, because it's getting a bit daft now 

Agree. It's a silly thread anyway. Nobody knows. If folk think they know what will happen next year, they may be advised to buy a euromillions ticket. £175m

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Totally agree with you about Asia,  but in reality  it's not really a true economic alternative to a family holiday for 2 parents and 2 children in Benidorm!  And the weather in much of Asia  during the August school holidays  is pretty challenging.

Are, there you go again me owd wowzz. You never mentioned a family holiday now did you, hmm? You must love exercise judging by the number of times you keep moving those goalposts😁😉

Avril

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, alija1960 said:

Perhaps we could all go to Guernsey or Jersey if want a little continental flavour,  Iceland, shame that Monaco and San Marino are surrounded or they would be lovely options

I’d be up for that. And for any round Britain cruises too. Lots of great places to go to in the warmer months.

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Dreadfully cruel animal exports will stop.  Along with another load of their silly rules.  As for the fishing, I really hope they stop the ability to fish in our waters.  Our fishermen will be very pleased.

But we will be stopped finishing in their waters as well, which includes the sea off Norway where most of the cod we eat is caught. Hope you like herring and mackerel as those are the main fish caught in our waters which are not popular here, I do like mackerel though. 

Given 70% of the fish caught is exported to the EU, with no deal it will attract the WTO tariff. So likely that some fishermen will go out of business as they may well be unable to sell their produce. 

Scottish fisherman have been complaining that they will have trouble crewing ships as many of their crew members are EU Nationals and will be barred from coming due to new immigration law and it are not confident they will replace them with local employees, thus could their business at risk. 

All this fuss over fish which forms 0.04% of the U.K. Economy, is it really worth it.

As for live exports, assuming the outcome of the 8 week consultation supports a ban, it only applies to England and Wales, it’s a devolved matter in Scotland. The EU have also been looking at whether the practice should continue after pressure from animal welfare and if the U.K. Government is so keen to stop it, why didn’t they raise the matter when we were members. Had Carrie not been around I doubt they would have bothered, after all they slaughter badgers in their thousands at the moment and are keen to bring back the vile blood sports given a chance. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 3

Just now, AndyMichelle said:

Not my experience Graham, we found them aggressive and rude. 

Andy 

Some of them are Andy.

We negotiated some great prices and bought lots of quality items and they weren't so rude when they realised we would buy if they had what we wanted.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Possibly to a middle aged man, but intimidating to teenage girls and some were positively leering which made us very uncomfortable. 

The ones we encountered were sleazy, pushy and downright rude, it totally put us off the place. 

Andy 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brian1 said:

If you qualify go for it.Our friend Mario who is a Glaswegian Italian living in Broadstairs and Calabria got his passport last year.He qualified via his Granddad in Cassino.He had to sing the Italian anthem and take an oral Italian test.

My husband is Italian so am entitled to claim citizenship through marriage.

• Like 1

Lots of Italian descendants on here.

My Dad’s Italian too but raised in London. Never bothered to get dual nationality unlike his brothers and sister.

Even married an English girl so I missed out being bilingual. All my cousins are!🙄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

But we will be stopped finishing in their waters as well, which includes the sea off Norway where most of the cod we eat is caught. Hope you like herring and mackerel as those are the main fish caught in our waters which are not popular here, I do like mackerel though. 

Given 70% of the fish caught is exported to the EU, with no deal it will attract the WTO tariff. So likely that some fishermen will go out of business as they may well be unable to sell their produce. 

Scottish fisherman have been complaining that they will have trouble crewing ships as many of their crew members are EU Nationals and will be barred from coming due to new immigration law and it are not confident they will replace them with local employees, thus could their business at risk. 

All this fuss over fish which forms 0.04% of the U.K. Economy, is it really worth it.

As for live exports, assuming the outcome of the 8 week consultation supports a ban, it only applies to England and Wales, it’s a devolved matter in Scotland. The EU have also been looking at whether the practice should continue after pressure from animal welfare and if the U.K. Government is so keen to stop it, why didn’t they raise the matter when we were members. Had Carrie not been around I doubt they would have bothered, after all they slaughter badgers in their thousands at the moment and are keen to bring back the vile blood sports given a chance. 

But don't let the facts get in the way of all the rants about the EU stealing our fish!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

But don't let the facts get in the way of all the rants about the EU stealing our fish!

I did point out earlier that fishing, despite the tiny size of its industry, has unfortunately become the poster icon for brexit, Boris is never going to "sacrifice" it, just like the sanctity of the "Single Market", is too iconic for the EU to back down, even though the UK is very likely to remain in line, or better, than the EU regulations.

It is a shame that we can't both be brave enough to just sign, we don't have a fishing industry large enough to fulfil the current EU quotas, so until we do we could agree a taper, and we could defer any dispute on the level playing field until there is actually a regulation we are no longer meeting.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I did point out earlier that fishing, despite the tiny size of its industry, has unfortunately become the poster icon for brexit, Boris is never going to "sacrifice" it, just like the sanctity of the "Single Market", is too iconic for the EU to back down, even though the UK is very likely to remain in line, or better, than the EU regulations.

It is a shame that we can't both be brave enough to just sign, we don't have a fishing industry large enough to fulfil the current EU quotas, so until we do we could agree a taper, and we could defer any dispute on the level playing field until there is actually a regulation we are no longer meeting.

Here's a thought though - a novel one.  How about putting the interests of the WHOLE country first?  🤫

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 3