Changes for travellers from 1 January, post Brexit

Harry Peterson

Spent quite a bit of time in Turkey when we lived on our sailing boat.  Really liked it there.  Beautiful clear water for swimming.  Second time on the cruise, we swam at Kusadasi.  Not much else to do there.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Dreadfully cruel animal exports will stop.  Along with another load of their silly rules.  As for the fishing, I really hope they stop the ability to fish in our waters.  Our fishermen will be very pleased.

It would of course have helped if the British fishermen hadn't sold their quotas to the Europeans!

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Canary Islands are sort of in the EU, and I don't think Barbados is affordable for the vast majority of holiday makers.

I think you may find that Canaries are not actually in the EU, despite being tied to Spain, which I understand is why you can buy duty free goods there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It would of course have helped if the British fishermen hadn't sold their quotas to the Europeans!

A fact which they frequently tend to overlook for some reason.

Still, it’s a massive 0.1% of our economy, and obviously far more important than motor manufacturing, finance, agriculture etc. Good to see that we’re getting our priorities right. 

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Avril. I have been trying to avoid repeating things. Repeating things. R...🤣 Particularly a certain popular singer . Brian has taken up that Batton.

Thanks to me he's more popular now.Seriously though the format where the quotes merge with the replies leads to all the misunderstandings,but I'm gonna blame you anyway.

27 minutes ago, zap99 said:

My personal view is that next year we will all go to Europe on holiday if we want to and that Spanish hotel chains will be gagging to get us their. Today I have had 2 emails from RIU and Barcelo and one from Brittany Ferries about their new ship, Gallicia. The world will go on, but may change a bit. Trying to rerun the EU referendum won't work, just put Harry,'s blood pressure up.

That's not the answer to the question I asked, but I'm leaving it here, because it's getting a bit daft now 

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Care to share which ones you are talking about?  Tunisia and Egypt spring to mind, but I have to say that personally, I would not be rushing to visit them.

I'm a big fan of Asia, and before you say anything, I mean after this pandemic is over. It may seem expensive at first glance, but if you look into it there are always offers with certain travel companies, we always used Kuoni. Once there the cost of everything is a fraction of any european country, so all in all the total holiday cost is comparable to any other holiday.The people are genuinely friendly and welcoming and if not for Frank's panic attack and refusal to fly anymore we would still be going.

Avril

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Canary Islands are sort of in the EU, and I don't think Barbados is affordable for the vast majority of holiday makers.

Canary Islands, only sort of. I would guess that many folk who spend thousands on cruises would find, or probably know that holidays to the West Indies, although not cheap are certainly affordable, but not everyone books a suite on Arcadia.

32 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Thanks to me he's more popular now.Seriously though the format where the quotes merge with the replies leads to all the misunderstandings,but I'm gonna blame you anyway.

Brian ,I have broad shoulders.🤣

Just now, Adawn47 said:

I'm a big fan of Asia, and before you say anything, I mean after this pandemic is over. It may seem expensive at first glance, but if you look into it there are always offers with certain travel companies, we always used Kuoni. Once there the cost of everything is a fraction of any european country, so all in all the total holiday cost is comparable to any other holiday.The people are genuinely friendly and welcoming and if not for Frank's panic attack and refusal to fly anymore we would still be going.

Avril

Totally agree with you about Asia,  but in reality  it's not really a true economic alternative to a family holiday for 2 parents and 2 children in Benidorm!  And the weather in much of Asia  during the August school holidays  is pretty challenging.

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Canary Islands, only sort of. I would guess that many folk who spend thousands on cruises would find, or probably know that holidays to the West Indies, although not cheap are certainly affordable, but not everyone books a suite on Arcadia.

Very true. In terms of pricing, if you take the mainstream EU destinations out of the equation, you really are only left with Tunisia, Egypt and Turkey, that are affordable to the vast majority of package tour customers.

56 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Spent quite a bit of time in Turkey when we lived on our sailing boat.  Really liked it there.  Beautiful clear water for swimming.  Second time on the cruise, we swam at Kusadasi.  Not much else to do there.

Well there is Ephesus and then there are the jewelllery shops. 🙂 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

That's the crunch.  People want cheap milk, cheese and butter, but won't pay a price that allows dairy farmers to make a viable living.

That's a generalisation wowzz. I have always bought British whenever possible, even though we were in the EU. Butter, milk, eggs, cheese, bacon, chicken, beef and fruit vegetables where possible etc,etc  Yes it's sometimes more expensive but imo better quality. Our farmers would have made a viable living if the EU had allowed them to.

Avril

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Very true. In terms of pricing, if you take the mainstream EU destinations out of the equation, you really are only left with Tunisia, Egypt and Turkey, that are affordable to the vast majority of package tour customers.

The vast majority of package tour customers won't notice anything, apart from eating that foreign bacon.

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Our farmers would have made a viable living if the EU had allowed them to.

Sorry Dawn, I know a certain amount about the dairy industry, and the plight of the UK dairy farmers cannot be directly linked to the EU.

Try negotiating a price increase on Cheddar with Asda, JS etc !

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Have a look at the TUI website. Mouth and foot come to mind.

Of course TUI sell holidays  to Norway, but do you seriously think 10s of thousands of families are going to want to holiday there, rather than spend 2 weeks in the sun by the Med?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good point.

I have had some great USA phone package prices with EE and if they do introduce roaming charges I will look to get a great EU phone package price.

DW is on O2 and has roaming in USA and Canada. I will check again, but I don't think they are in the EU.🤣

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sorry Dawn, I know a certain amount about the dairy industry, and the plight of the UK dairy farmers cannot be directly linked to the EU.

I will allow you the last word wowzz and graciously retire with my own conclusions still firmly in place. This debate could go on forever and we will still disagree.😉

Avril

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Of course TUI sell holidays  to Norway, but do you seriously think 10s of thousands of families are going to want to holiday there, rather than spend 2 weeks in the sun by the Med? 

Why can't they spend 2 weeks in the Med?. If Iona has 5000 passengers and it goes to Norway every week, say 25 weeks that's.........lots.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Care to share which ones you are talking about?  Tunisia and Egypt spring to mind, but I have to say that personally, I would not be rushing to visit them.

Perhaps we could all go to Guernsey or Jersey if want a little continental flavour,  Iceland, shame that Monaco and San Marino are surrounded or they would be lovely options

• Like 1