Is anyone losing or lost their enthusiasm for Cruising?

molly361

45 minutes ago, ShmuelCharlie said:

Is the Odyssey OTS the new RCCL ship that's a member of the Quantum Class? Have you been aboard the Quantum Class ships before and used their Ripcord IFly and NorthStar experiences or rides? How were they?  

Its not quite the same as other Quantum class ships. 1 less pool i believe.  There are other differences.  Dh did Ifly on Quantum,  not my thing.  Love Northstar and don't forget bumper cars!

My enthusiasm is as high as ever. Possibly higher, since it has been a year now since I have been on a cruise ship and I'm jonesing for cruiselife.  My hope and expectation is that within a year we will have returned to a reasonable level of normal and cruising will also reflect that.  I acknowledge that it is possible that I'm too optimistic but I don't think so.  If in the event I am, I will simply start looking for forward to cruising in 2022.  I already have one booked for 2022 and am looking forward to booking at least three more.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2020 at 12:48 PM, HBE4 said:

Have I lost my enthusiasm for cruising?

Yes, mostly.  I think. For now.

Cruising is one of many types of vacations I enjoy. After reading endless tales of cancelled cruises, booking for cruises that will never happen, juggling multiple FCC's, waiting months for refunds, new safety protocols, capacity restrictions and the fact nobody knows when, where or how cruising will return, I focused my attention this year and next year on vacations that have a high probability of actually happening, whether it be road trips, ski trips, camping or flights to the few Caribbean islands that are open.

So, its not so much that I lost my enthusiasm for it. I'm just not going to think about looking to book a cruise until there are several or many months of safe, fun sailings with a wide range of ships and itineraries to choose from.  And after I read a few reviews here on CC from members I trust to give a fair and balanced review (i.e. no cheerleaders) that cruising has return to what it used to be or as close to it as it can get.

I'm sure I'll get the cruise bug again eventually.

Re: reviews from non-cheerleaders, I hope mine have not fit that description. Perhaps that's why my reviews have received 13 Helpful Votes? When I write the reviews, I'm write them out long-hand first in a notebook while I'm aboard ship so that I have a first-hand glimpse at where a cruise product does well and where it goes off the rails by offering suggestions for improvement to both cruise lines and Cruise Critic. I also try to use the outline method offered by CC to cover many subjects related to the cruise experience. Keep on cruising, HBE4! I sound like RIck Steves, don't I? 😎 

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

FWIW, Presidents cruises aren't so much about schmoozing with Miami staff. Meeting old friends and making new ones

Definitely not relaxing. You can do that anytime😉

How do you get to book President's Cruises? Are they offered to only the top tier C&A Society Members or do you have to read the various C&A newsletters to know when and how soon to book? So far, I've read in CC itself about a President's cruise aboard an Oasis class ship that had both RCG Chairperson RIchard Fein and CEO Michael Bailey aboard; what are they like in person? Approachable or distant?  

Just now, ShmuelCharlie said:

How do you get to book President's Cruises? Are they offered to only the top tier C&A Society Members or do you have to read the various C&A newsletters to know when and how soon to book? So far, I've read in CC itself about a President's cruise aboard an Oasis class ship that had both RCG Chairperson RIchard Fein and CEO Michael Bailey aboard; what are they like in person? Approachable or distant?  

Listed on website as I recall. Word of mouth as well. 

I really don't recall seeing Fain on the two we did.  Bayley made the rounds most nights. He is in hospitality, he had to be approachable 😉

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 12:48 PM, HBE4 said:

And after I read a few reviews here on CC from members I trust to give a fair and balanced review (i.e. no cheerleaders) that cruising has return to what it used to be or as close to it as it can get.

Which category do I fall in🤔😉😁

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, billf0401 said:

It seems there is so much less Joy in our world.  Cruising was one of the few remaining outlets for having a Great Time.....We were on one of the final cruises from Port Canaveral in March and had so hoped to go again this year...we have 2 more booked...Oct 21 and Jan 22....as each day goes by the optimism for October is diminishing....who knows for 2022....

I was on a South American cruise from Santiago, Chile to Buenos Aires, Argentina this past February aboard Coral Princess. At the time I was visiting Santiago for my pre-cruise hotel stay, there were many news reports from China and in Santiago itself about how the virus affected Chile's cherry crop (Chile is a big exporter of its cherries) and China is a major importer of Chilean-grown cherries. By the time the ship docked in BA, I still didn't see too many people walking around wearing masks or at the airports--Ezeia (EZE), MIA, and DCA. 

54 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

You need 175 points to be Diamond Plus and 700 points to be Pinnacle.  ☺️

Thanks for the reply, MerionMom. I see that you live in Merion, PA. I used to live in Wynnewood during the mid-60s on Kent Road. The only family I knew who lived in Merion back then were the Kardons, maker of stereo speakers. Their son Ross and I used to attend the same special ed school. I don't recall their address though but do remember the exterior being of Tudor half-timber design.  

46 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Its not quite the same as other Quantum class ships. 1 less pool i believe.  There are other differences.  Dh did Ifly on Quantum,  not my thing.  Love Northstar and don't forget bumper cars!

I think I would enjoy the NorthStar and bumper cars, but the last time I did the latter was at an area carnival last year, and i didn't care for the constant bumping of that big bar in front of me into my chest--painful! Are the cars new rather than the old ones used at carnivals? How many people were doing the trapeze? I think that would be scarier than iFly, but being upside down is scarier for me if I did iFly. 

33 minutes ago, ShmuelCharlie said:

I think I would enjoy the NorthStar and bumper cars, but the last time I did the latter was at an area carnival last year, and i didn't care for the constant bumping of that big bar in front of me into my chest--painful! Are the cars new rather than the old ones used at carnivals? How many people were doing the trapeze? I think that would be scarier than iFly, but being upside down is scarier for me if I did iFly. 

Bumper cars are new.  Power on the bottom.  They take them off to charge them.  No bar, just seat belts.  Never considered the trapeze!

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Which category do I fall in🤔😉😁

Idk, I guess i should read one of your reviews 😁

Just kidding. You were never shy about pointing out the less-than-stellar parts of a cruise. 

So, not a cheerleader. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We are still in Tier 3 but I think we will all be in Lockdown soon.

Take care Sue.

I hope you and your family still have a nice Christmas.

Graham.

Thanks Graham, just hubby and me now 😕 I have all the protein, turkey, ham and salmon, and my son and family have made all the sides so we will be doing a doorstep swap along with the presents. Not sure if it's strictly in the rules but we will just drop and go. They live just a couple of miles from us.  Other son who lives in London should have gone to his partners family but are now 'home alone'. As she is pregnant she wanted to be with her family over Christmas but as they are all in tier 4 (as are we) they can't mix. 

I'm grateful that we are all well. 

I hope you and your wife have a lovely day whatever you are doing on Christmas Day 

Edited by sgmn
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Thanks Graham, just hubby and me now 😕 I have all the protein, turkey, ham and salmon, and my son and family have made all the sides so we will be doing a doorstep swap along with the presents. Not sure if it's strictly in the rules but we will just drop and go. They live just a couple of miles from us.  Other son who lives in London should have gone to his partners family but are now 'home alone'. As she is pregnant she wanted to be with her family over Christmas but as they are all in tier 4 (as are we) they can't mix. 

I'm grateful that we are all well. 

I hope you and your wife have a lovely day whatever you are doing on Christmas Day 

Thanks Sue, Pauline and I will be alone at Christmas.

Things have changed so quickly for the worse and people in Tier 4 have been served a bitter blow for Christmas.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Graham.

13 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Yes, near I-81 between Christianburg and Wytheville. How do you like the pace between NJ and TN. Currently in South Jersey near Cherry Hill.

I grew up in Cherry Hill in the late 60s/early 70s.  It was the edge of suburbia then.  We literally had an apple orchard behind our back yard (we lived on Old Orchard Road 😁).  My little league baseball team was sponsored by Olga's Diner, which was located on the roundabout where 70 and 73 intersected.  I just looked at Google Maps.  That intersection is now an overpass with exit ramps and Olga's has been relocated.  At least they are still in business.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ShmuelCharlie said:

My bucket list includes cruising from Singapore to visit SE Asia along with Australia and New Zealand. My big question to myself is whether I would be able to handle a very long flight across the Pacific that was longer than the one I took in '01 to Hawaii--post 9/11--for a 12-day Carnival Spirit sailing of the Hawaiian Islands w/o getting DVT/PE in my legs.   

Have flown to NZ in the past, and the DH has spent most of his adult life in a career that took him overseas most of the time.  Used to it.  But we won't go anything but first or business class for those long flights.  😮  Don't have the problem you do...that I know of...but we do get up and move about when we can.  

Your health comes first...and need to ask yourself if it's worth the long flights indeed.    

16 hours ago, ShmuelCharlie said:

How long were you at the Diamond Plus tier before you were able to accumulate the points to get to Pinnacle? I know that the points for Diamond Plus start at 176 and you need 750 to reach Pinnacle, right? I hope you reach that apex of tiers. I'm still accumulating points toward Diamond Plus, and I've been Diamond since 2010. 

It's 700 for Pinnacle, and 175 for D+.

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Moderna is two shots 28 days apart.

I am worried that is going to be a problem.  Had a devil of a time trying to get second Shingles shot within time limit.  They were constantly out of stock and waiting for next shipment. 

I can see others trying to get second shot, having to compete with the general population that are just trying to get their first shot. Yikes...

15 minutes ago, island lady said:

I am worried that is going to be a problem.  Had a devil of a time trying to get second Shingles shot within time limit.  They were constantly out of stock and waiting for next shipment. 

I can see others trying to get second shot, having to compete with the general population that are just trying to get their first shot. Yikes...

My understanding of the process that's been laid out by the Army Logistics PWS head is that the second dose allocation already has been/will continue to be set aside and held for shipment/administration until it is scheduled to be administered. That's probably why the PWS leaders are pushing back on states that have publicly stated that they don't understand why they can't just give both allocations out as first doses and then expect the manufacturer to magically create a double allocation of second doses to cover their decision in 3-4 weeks.

On 12/14/2020 at 11:27 AM, molly361 said:

Trying to stay excited for what will hopefully be our next cruise (May 2021) but my cruising enthusiasm seems to be diminishing as time goes on.  I would think it would be the opposite.  Even have a suite booked for this one but the thought of having to possibly get myself tested,  having to get the vaccine  and wear a mask is putting a real damper on things.  Anyone else feeling this way?  

You know something, your definitely not alone.  My wife and I are taking our 2nd cruise in 20 years. On the Oasis in Aug 🤞.  I have read on other boards non cruise related, but people feel the way you do.  It may have more to do with something you truly have a passion for being taken away from you. And your inability to cruise makes you feel disconnected to what you love.  
I think that’s a normal reaction to a situation that is beyond your control. And I totally believe you will do a 180 once the green light is given to resume your joy of cruising.  I do not know you,  however,  i hope 2021 finds you well. 

• Like 1

I feel very lucky to have completed six cruises in 2020.  The last time I went nine months without a cruise was in 2010.  I do feel that I am missing a big part of my life, and I know that I have more 2021 cruises that will get cancelled.  I have learned to roll with the punches and wait for safe cruising to return.