Cruise Restrictions - What will new restrictions be? When will cruisers be given official news of what restrictions are?

thymcruisers

We have cruise March 27 (Vista out of Galveston) and here we are 90 days out, and not sure IF we will be cruising and WHAT new restrictions will be.  All sorts of rumors about mask wearing, only cruise sponsored shore excursions allowed, Covid tests, age requirements, health issues,  etc., are going around.  I'm hoping that Carnival will post their restrictions SOON so we can make a decision (without penalty) about our upcoming cruise - will restrictions be too much for us and will we be allowed to cancel or postpone without penalties?  We rebooked at a great rate and currently have $1200 OBC - hate to give that up, too!!

At this time, we don't know if we should count on a cruise or plan something different for a spring vacation!!

Thanks for any input!

• Like 1

restrictions should be similar to what currently works onboard the Europe cruise ships like mask wearing all around the ship except for eating/drinking. Shows in the theater will be a on reservation system and they will alternate which rows people sit in. Ship sponsor shore excursions is the the only way to get off the ship in port

• Like 2

"What will new restrictions be?"

No-one publicly knows.  Undoubtedly Carnival and the other lines have a plan, but it needs to be vetted with the CDC, and probably can change at a moments notice due to what is happening in reality (like this new more-transmissible variant of the virus).  We won't know anything until the official news (your second question) is released.

"When will cruisers be given official news of what restrictions are?"

Again, no-one knows.  Carnival has stated nothing about a timeline of releasing info, probably because they are waiting to see how the winter break plays out (pandemic-wise) and looking to see how the new administration is going to approach things.

I know we all want to know, but it should be pretty clear that, right now, this information simply isn't available.  But it will be very obvious when it becomes available - this board (and all the others for the other lines) will explode with posts about it.

We can posit all day long about what it should be, or what it could be, but only the corporate insiders will know what their current plans are - and even those could change before any announcements actually occur.  So even if someone leaked the info, it might not be accurate in the end.

• Like 1

we had a cruise booked for late April 2021 and it was 8 days. yesterday knowing 8 day cruises are not going to happen and doubt very much that any will go as early as April anyway we went ahead and moved ours out a year. they told us not charging any change fees at this time because of covid. if things return to somewhat normal and we feel safe could come back and book something for late fall 2021.

Carnival isn’t going to announce restrictions until they can actually get cruises up and going. And they still

dont know when that will happen. It’s safe to say that in March your cruise will be cancelled or have significant restrictions. If that is bothersome to you, I would cancel while you still can. I would look to the MSC cruise that have actually restarted to give an indication: pre-cruise covid testing, masks onboard, and mandatory cruise shore excursions. I also believe that within the CDC requirements, that if any positive cases make it onboard that the cruise will be cancelled snd all passengers will be quarantined in their cabins. If these are too restrictive for you, don’t cruise, especially not in March. I believe the CDCs enhanced restrictions are in place right now until November 2021.

• Like 1

Your cruise has a 99.99% chance of being cancelled. First of all, I doubt that anyone will be cruising on March 27, let alone from Galveston,  which is supposedly the third embarkation  port for Carnival after Miami and Port Canaveral. 

I don't  think cruising will be like it was previously until 2023 at the earliest.   Even with vaccines given to cruisers,  masks will probably still be a requirement into 2022.  Social distancing, reduced capacity and cruise line sponsored excursions will probably also be extended to a certain degree into 2022. 

I would do some research and choose an alternative cruise for late 2021 or 2022 if you don't want to lose your 1200 in OBC.  Call your TA or Carnival. If you drag your feet with your decision, Carnival may not be as sympathetic with your dilemma in the future as they would be now.  Good luck.

Edited by SNJCruisers

Keep in mind that the vaccine changes everything. As for the protocols for the ports and on board they will be refined based on the experience of the simulated cruises, and could possibly vary from ship to ship. 

Stay tuned, a covid passport is in the works to assist travel. Get vaccinated, wear a mask, and be kind to puppies. Words to live by in 2021.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chipster2 said:

And don't forget, we will have a new CDC director in just a few more days!

Just my opinion but I don't think the new administration will be any more friendly to the industry.  They will have a lot on their plate besides cruising.  I think there has  to guess at least some sort of,  at least preliminary,  resolution to the pandemic.  I guess we will have to wait and see.  

Edited by joeyancho

On 12/30/2020 at 12:25 AM, SNJCruisers said:

Even with vaccines given to cruisers,  masks will probably still be a requirement into 2022.  Social distancing, reduced capacity and cruise line sponsored excursions will probably also be extended to a certain degree into 2022. 

I'm hoping that it turns out the vaccine does indeed prevent transmittal of the virus to others as well as protecting the vaccinated, and that there will be a vaccine requirement to cruise, so the combination of those factors will make masks and social distancing unnecessary on cruise ships.

But I'm not too optimistic about it actually happening in 2021 unfortunately. Though it could.

John Heald has said that CCL hopes to have the rules out in January.  I hope he is correct.  We will cruise as soon as we can because even though there will be some restrictions that may or may not be in CCL's control we think they will make it as easy as they can for their guests.

I also hope that vaccination proof will be a requirement for cruising. DH and I are getting our first round in the next few days and the second shot in 28 days after that. We are hoping we will be given something in writing that we an use as proof of vaccination that we can show the cruise lines. We have a Holland America cruise booked for April 2021, but are not confident at all it will sail. But, hopeful that our Dec. 2021 Holland, Jan. 2022 Carnival, and Feb. 2022 Holland cruises will all sail. Get vaccinated!