The Daily for Monday Jan 4, 2021

richwmn

I  am  a  retired  Physical Therapist and  in  New  York  state  it  was  a  job  requirement  to  be  vaccinated  especially  for  the  flu  if  you  worked  in  a  long  term  care  facility. Even  years  ago  there  were  people  who  resisted  this  and  I  found  it  so  frustrating. Every  winter  we  had  long  periods  of  time  where  nursing  units  were on  lockdown due  to  outbreaks. I  am  still  in  touch  with  former  co workers  who  have  described  how  difficult  it  is  now  for  our  nursing  home  residents. The  isolation is so  hard. 

• Like 13

1 minute ago, kazu said:

I agree with you on the requirement for vaccines.

At my BIL’s mother’s senior residence most of the care givers declined the vaccine.  Absurd.  The place has covid and while my BIL’s mother was safe on another floor, she now, unfortunately has contracted covid and I fear very much it will be a sad ending.

I find the care our seniors are getting by their supposed “care givers” deplorable.  AT the very least, they should be looking out for their health by getting the vaccine.

I am very sorry to hear your BIL's mother has contracted Covid.  They are helpless individuals and rely on their caregiver's assistance.  I know of several great nurses on my MIL's floor but I have to say the aides they hire don't seem to have the dedication of those fine nurses.  All the positive cases in her facility came in through employees, and several residents died of Covid or related complications from Covid.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Rich. Thank you for the Daily. 

Good morning to my sweet sisters. Ann, you are right, Denise will be spending CC screen time for awhile catching up. Thank you Roy, summer and Ann for the special additions. The wine sounds weird.. tomato leaf, sage, plum core, gravel earth and venison? Jacqui your cartoon today must be popular.. lol.

So this morning we are pretty sad. My sweet husband has been battling his allergic reaction to Sophie for 4 weeks. Poor guy is wheezing and sneezing. Allergy meds, eye drops, hepa filters and essential oils are not helping at all. We may have to find a new home for her and we are heart broken. Please say a prayer that Sophie gets a new forever home. 

Sounds like you have a decision to make as to which one to keep. 😜

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

I  am  a  retired  Physical Therapist and  in  New  York  state  it  was  a  job  requirement  to  be  vaccinated  especially  for  the  flu  if  you  worked  in  a  long  term  care  facility. Even  years  ago  there  were  people  who  resisted  this  and  I  found  it  so  frustrating. Every  winter  we  had  long  periods  of  time  where  nursing  units  were on  lockdown due  to  outbreaks. I  am  still  in  touch  with  former  co workers  who  have  described  how  difficult  it  is  now  for  our  nursing  home  residents. The  isolation is so  hard. 

They have had a very rough time and are so venerable.  Were those who resisted vaccinations workers or residents?

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, kazu said:

At my BIL’s mother’s senior residence most of the care givers declined the vaccine.  Absurd.  The place has covid and while my BIL’s mother was safe on another floor, she now, unfortunately has contracted covid and I fear very much it will be a sad ending.

I find the care our seniors are getting by their supposed “care givers” deplorable.  AT the very least, they should be looking out for their health by getting the vaccine.

So sorry to hear this Jacqui. I hope she makes a complete recovery.

• Like 6

Good morning everyone. I’ve never been drunk because I really don’t care for the taste of most alcohol. Have some chicken in the freezer and will see what I can do with it for tonight. Actually, Dh was going to try to get lobster for tonight at a local fish market. It’s very popular and the last time he went he had to go inside for the order and lots of people were on line. Things are bad here with COVID so unless they bring it out to his car, we’ll be having chicken.

I’m also ready for summer, but I heard we’re going to have a lot of snow this winter. Since we’re pretty well locked down the only thing that bothers me is the possible loss of power.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sorry to hear about your BIL’s mother!  I am surprised that the caregivers can decline the vaccine.  I maybe wrong but I believe most US facilities require their employees to be vaccinated.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Sorry to hear about your BIL’s mother!  I am surprised that the caregivers can decline the vaccine.  I maybe wrong but I believe most US facilities require their employees to be vaccinated.

I'm still a bit contrarian on this.  My understanding is that RMNA vaccines like Pfizer and Moderna work differently from most vaccines and inhibit the virus's ability to make a person sick but not necessarily neutralize the the virus and do not necessarily reduce the possibility of transmission to others.  I do know that the Astra Zenica vaccine works differently and has demonstrated that activity and I fully support requiring it as a condition of working once it is available.  I do, though, question the judgement of a person who works in a setting where Covid is present being unwilling to protect themselves.

Roy

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So this morning we are pretty sad. My sweet husband has been battling his allergic reaction to Sophie for 4 weeks. Poor guy is wheezing and sneezing. Allergy meds, eye drops, hepa filters and essential oils are not helping at all. We may have to find a new home for her and we are heart broken. Please say a prayer that Sophie gets a new forever home. 

I have a cat allergy and have taken meds for it my whole life.  So sad for you and your hubby.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Got registered this morning for our shots tomorrow.  I was right online at 8 when the portal opened.  It closed 20 minutes later, all slots were filled.

Good for you. I hope our city also sets up appointment times since some of the first come first served lines we have seen on tv are just chaos.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I am very sorry to hear your BIL's mother has contracted Covid.  They are helpless individuals and rely on their caregiver's assistance.  I know of several great nurses on my MIL's floor but I have to say the aides they hire don't seem to have the dedication of those fine nurses.  All the positive cases in her facility came in through employees, and several residents died of Covid or related complications from Covid.

Thanks.  It sounds like her facility is in the same position as my BIL’s mother’s. 😢 

52 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

So sorry to hear this Jacqui. I hope she makes a complete recovery.

Thanks.  I have a deep foreboding but I am trying to be hopeful.

45 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Thanks.  Sounded like StLouisCruisers’ situation was the same with not everyone getting vaccinated 😢 (she’s in the U.S. to the best of my knowledge).  

I just find it depressing & deplorable that some care givers/health providers are not taking the first steps to stopping the spread of the pandemic.

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Got registered this morning for our shots tomorrow.  I was right online at 8 when the portal opened.  It closed 20 minutes later, all slots were filled.

YAY 🙂. Good for you.

• Like 5

Well it's back to work for me -- battled computer problems for the first hour; maybe they don't want me back?  I'll happily take another day off.

I am pretty good with Trivia, including pop music charts (as far back as the 70s), along with the more obvious classical history. Not too bad in medicine and geography but I'm rubbish at movies and shows. 

The drink of the day sounds good since the temps dropped here.  Too many of them and I may end up like Dean Martin.

Sometimes I think the folks who write these wine descriptions have over-sampled. I can taste your basic oak, mineral, berry and pepper but beyond that you got me.

@kazu  You always have the funniest cartoons. Love the "Canadian uber"!

@StLouisCruisers   Keep 'em coming. Look forward to tomorrow's installment.

• Like 15

56 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'm still a bit contrarian on this.  My understanding is that RMNA vaccines like Pfizer and Moderna work differently from most vaccines and inhibit the virus's ability to make a person sick but not necessarily neutralize the the virus and do not necessarily reduce the possibility of transmission to others.  I do know that the Astra Zenica vaccine works differently and has demonstrated that activity and I fully support requiring it as a condition of working once it is available.  I do, though, question the judgement of a person who works in a setting where Covid is present being unwilling to protect themselves.

Roy

I believe that the effectiveness of preventing transmission is still being studied.  I hope you are wrong as otherwise we will all become a bunch of Typhoid Mary’s.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

That is my understanding as well. Not happy that it can still be transmitted to others. I am one of those with severe allergies so probably will not be able to get the vaccine.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Love the beach said:

That is my understanding as well. Not happy that it can still be transmitted to others. I am one of those with severe allergies so probably will not be able to get the vaccine.

The Astra Zenica vaccine works differently and has been shown to reduce the recipient's ability to spread the virus.  I hope that once it is available it will be widely available to people who are already protected but still able to transmit the virus.  That should bring us to true herd immunity,

Roy

• Like 9

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Thank you, Summer! Looking forward to hearing how it goes, if you are willing to share.

• Like 5

Good morning.  I have not heard a word about shots where I am.  I hope that they get down to where pharmacies can start giving them out as I don't have a local doctor.

Thanks Rich for the daily and to all who post. 

Edited by lindaler
  • Like 10