Majestic Princess: Primarily for Asian Guests?

jimdee3636

I'm thinking of booking a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Majestic for this coming fall, but I'm a bit concerned about what seems to be the overwhelmingly Asian "feel" of the ship. A Cantonese specialty restaurant. A noodle bar. A dim sum cafe. Yao Ming wines being featured. Private "karaoke suites." Would a non-Asian like myself feel excluded or out of place?

We are booked Oct 16, 2021 on the Majestic Princess to the Mexican Riviera. Love the royal class ships and we're glad to have the chance to see this ship first hand. I'm sure the Asian "feel" will be toned down being in the North America market and besides the cruise will have more of a Mexican "feel" to it. Think mariachi band and dancing in the piazza. The Majestic may end up being our favorite ship and yours. :classic_smile:

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

I was on the Majestic Princess in October 2019 on a round trip cruise from Sydney to Fiji.  It was "toned down" already for that trip and I have no doubt that more will change when the Majestic starts serving the North American market.  For example, the lobster bar also had the usual list of grill items like burgers, hot dogs, etc.  I loved the noodle bar but I don't know if that will remain.  We missed the Lido deck pizza a little but had Alfredo's so that was an upgrade.  The VIP gaming area was converted to a Crooner's type piano bar.  I don't recall all Yao Ming wines on the menu but there was a giant bottle in the piazza.  We didn't try the Chinese restaurant that replaced Sabatini's but the menu wasn't just dim sum - it actually looked quite tasty and I'm sorry we didn't make it there.  Again, not sure if that will survive when the ship starts sailing in the USA.  Bottom line - I was very happy on the Majestic and I'm not Asian.  It was a nice change but it's anyone's guess what venues the ship will ultimately have.

• Like 2

Perhaps not particularly helpful to the OP, but I cannot resist commenting on wines.  Yao Ming Family WInes is a Napa Valley winery.  The strategy of including them on Asian cruises is obvious--especially, if the cruising clientele are Chinese.  However, that strategy is solely marketing oriented.  Yao Ming wines are well regarded, and their product offerings are similar to their other Napa Valley winery neighbors--several different bottlings of Cabernet Sauvignon, but, also, bottlings from Sauvignon Blanc and Zinfandel grapes and a few blends.  Their wines are not cheap.  However, their pricing is not out of line with othe premium Napa Valley wineries.

• Like 1

Like AZBIRDMOM we did a cruise out of Sydney on the Majestic. 

Princess reconfigured some of the ship for the Aussie market when it sailed out of Sydney, so am guessing they will do the same once it is based in North America.  The Hollywood Conservatory was excellent as was the Noodle Bar.  Best part though was the Mongolian Grill at the back of the World Fresh Marketplace - hope they keep this.

(I started this thread).

Thanks to all who replied. You've eased---eliminated, actually---any concerns I had about the ship. I'll soon be booking either a California Coastal or a Mexican Riviera for this coming fall (fingers crossed).

2 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Just to be clear on the Noodle Bar, that replaces the burgers and pizza?

I don't think any of us can speak to this until someone gets some intel on it. I actually think the most logical thing would be to replace the lobster grill for mostly burgers, since it was already starting to do that when the ship made Australia jaunts. I hope the noodle bar gets to stay because it's unique, but my assumption is that it gets nixed in favor of the traditional pizzeria that's in place on her sister ships.

• Like 1

It was mentioned that the Lobster Grill also served burgers etc. when in Australia. Expect it will remain in North America. Also while in Australia pizza was only available at Alfredo's. Maybe that will also change for the US market but they will have to install pizza ovens. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 10:00 AM, Kenosha Cruiser said:

We are booked Oct 16, 2021 on the Majestic Princess to the Mexican Riviera. Love the royal class ships and we're glad to have the chance to see this ship first hand. I'm sure the Asian "feel" will be toned down being in the North America market and besides the cruise will have more of a Mexican "feel" to it. Think mariachi band and dancing in the piazza. The Majestic may end up being our favorite ship and yours. :classic_smile:

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

Hi Ken! Hope you and Darlene are doing well!! Rob and I have looked into the Majestic since a few of our cruises have been cancelled. We have a cruise for June but I suspect that will also be cancelled.  I may need to book this with the credit we have and just tell Rob about it IF and WHEN June gets cancelled 🙂 then we will have back up already in place! lol

I am curious to check out all the different things on the Majestic. Karaoke might be the only thing I wouldn't like from the Majestic, and that just saves everyone's ears from exploding with my screeches-think cat in pain-sounds a bit like that when I sing. lol

On 1/16/2021 at 7:54 AM, jimdee3636 said:

I'm thinking of booking a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Majestic for this coming fall, but I'm a bit concerned about what seems to be the overwhelmingly Asian "feel" of the ship. A Cantonese specialty restaurant. A noodle bar. A dim sum cafe. Yao Ming wines being featured. Private "karaoke suites." Would a non-Asian like myself feel excluded or out of place?

I’ve traveled on the Majestic as a non Asian in 2019 & felt fine. It was not geared towards the Asian market on my cruise from Sydney to Hong Kong. Remember it was built for the Chinese market with many signs in both the Chinese & English language. 

After our cruise it was repositioning to the Asian Market & left Hong Kong with only the crew onboard. 

Here’s one photo to show the signs. 

Tom😀

image.jpeg

Edited by trbarton
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jennybenny said:

Hi Ken! Hope you and Darlene are doing well!! Rob and I have looked into the Majestic since a few of our cruises have been cancelled. We have a cruise for June but I suspect that will also be cancelled.  I may need to book this with the credit we have and just tell Rob about it IF and WHEN June gets cancelled 🙂 then we will have back up already in place! lol

I am curious to check out all the different things on the Majestic. Karaoke might be the only thing I wouldn't like from the Majestic, and that just saves everyone's ears from exploding with my screeches-think cat in pain-sounds a bit like that when I sing. lol

Hi Jenny, we are doing ok, no covid at least.  Darlene and I also had two cruises cancelled and are anxious to get back to cruising. If your cruise doesn't work out in June, you and Rob should join us on the Majestic Princess, Oct. 16th. We are looking forward to seeing the Majestic and doing Mexico again. We have a quiet roll call going already. 

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 2:30 PM, skynight said:

Enjoy the Hollywood indoor pool and the Hollywood Conservatory.

Does the Hollywood conservatory replace the sanctuary? I'm having trouble understanding what it is. Thanks in advance, as we are excited to sail her in late November!

22 minutes ago, jbpinkie said:

Does the Hollywood conservatory replace the sanctuary? I'm having trouble understanding what it is. Thanks in advance, as we are excited to sail her in late November!

No it does not. It is an indoor lounging area more like a combination reading, cocktail and card playing lounge. No charge. No sanctuary on the Majestic. There is a quick view at the end of the below video.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=majestic+princess+video#id=1&vid=9cea8c8107c1cd083bf2df6cd6163324&action=click

Watch "The Cruise" on YouTube, Season 6, all episodes. They follow the Majestic, and will help give you a glimpse of her. The first episode even shows some Cruise Critic members. One complains about having two fried egg stations at the buffet and suggests crepes, which they actually implement, but she never shows back up to try them.🤔

Edited by jwattle