Saga announces only vaccinated passengers can sail. Do you think Princess will follow?

2ferfun

3 hours ago, texasgirl29 said:

On TV last night, Dr Fauci said he got Moderna but would have been just as comfortable to get Pfizer. FYI

If he said anything different they would have to throw away all the Pfizer vaccines.

Dr. Anthony Fauci and other top government health officials received their first dose of the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine on Tuesday.

Why do you think they all chose Moderna??

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/fauci-other-top-health-officials-receive-moderna-vaccine-camera-n1252073

Edited by cruzsnooze

3 hours ago, texasgirl29 said:

On TV last night, Dr Fauci said he got Moderna but would have been just as comfortable to get Pfizer. FYI

I got the Moderna this week. 

I would have been very comfortable with the Pfizer because I got my vaccination at a major metropolitan hospital where I know protocols are very good.  It was interesting that my Moderna syringe had a tag on it and the number was scanned into their computer.  Actually, I realize how absolutely lucky I was to be at the right website at the right time to get that appointment.  My vaccine was on Wednesday, NYC ran out on Thursday.  Even the nurse at the hospital confirmed that.  Second does will be in 28 days.  Full immunity will take another two weeks after the second shot. Cuomo said not to worry about availability of second dose because it's a different system.  I hope he is right. 

6 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

If he said anything different they would have to throw away all the Pfizer vaccines.

Dr. Anthony Fauci and other top government health officials received their first dose of the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine on Tuesday.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/fauci-other-top-health-officials-receive-moderna-vaccine-camera-n1252073

Maybe because the NIH where the good doctor works helped support the development of that vaccine.

6 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

He said that Moderna was what was sent to NIH, so that’s what he took. 

18 hours ago, Wendymewendy said:

I have been reading these posts re vaccine requirements in order to cruise with interest as we are due to go on Sky Princess 26th May 2021.

However unlike the US we in the UK have to wait to be called for a vaccine.

My dilemma is that my husband who is due in group 4 will have had his but as I am younger I am in group 7 so may not have had mine.

Do we still make our final payment which is due soon?

I can't see any cruises leaving from the UK until autumn earliest. I think any 2021 cruises will be lucky.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

People need to stop making everything into a conspiracy theory....

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2021 at 3:11 AM, cruzsnooze said:

I'm reading the Maderno vaccine prevents the virus from attaching to a host so you won't be a typhoid Mary but the pfizer does not so I won't take anything but Moderno.

Where did you read that?  I can't see anything relevant on the CDC web site?

I got my 1st vaccine shot yesterday.  The 2nd is scheduled for 2/20.  I do hope that initially Princess require px and crew to be vaccinated.  If someone does get Covid, everyone’s cruise is essentially ruined.  Why have all that negative publicity when you can just make sure that everyone is vaccinated?
I have 2 cruises booked for Oct ‘ ‘21 both leaving from Southampton.  If they don’t go I will be disappointed but there is little I can do about it.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, spyro1952 said:

I got my 1st vaccine shot yesterday.  The 2nd is scheduled for 2/20.  I do hope that initially Princess require px and crew to be vaccinated.  If someone does get Covid, everyone’s cruise is essentially ruined.  Why have all that negative publicity when you can just make sure that everyone is vaccinated?
I have 2 cruises booked for Oct ‘ ‘21 both leaving from Southampton.  If they don’t go I will be disappointed but there is little I can do about it.  

Also have two cruises booked oct 20 and nov 1 with Cunard  Hopeful but realistic. Not counting on anything.United released a lot of Business saver awards if you havent booked flights yet

12 minutes ago, spyro1952 said:

That's what worries me, going on a cruise and having it ruined because someone got Covid.  Most of us intend to have our vaccines (16 and older in my family), but If children don't get the vaccine, they are germ carriers. I have one child who isn't old enough for the vaccine.  Perhaps he won't be allowed to cruise for a while. 

The Saga web site FAQ's states that if someone is medically exempted from taking the vaccine, they still will be denied boarding.  I think having all souls coming onboard (to include the crew and any pilots) should need to be vaccinated at least for several months after restart.  I do believe that any number of destinations will be more willing to reopen their doors if everyone getting off a cruise ship has been vaccinated.  I also believe it will be more manageable in the beginning to only sail smaller vessels for shorter voyage lengths.  I booked a seven day July cruise on a smaller ship on another line out of New York.  I'm hoping that cruise goes off, plus I can take a car to the pier without the need for public transit.  Princess may have some trouble finding a smaller ship to sail at this point.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2021 at 2:56 PM, Thrak said:

Not likely... I don't need the MMR vaccination because I already had Measles, Mumps, and Rubella as a child. I also had Chickenpox. Having had those diseases I don't have any sort of vaccination records for them. Some of the others - Polio and DPT - were very commonly done when I was young but I don't have any sort of record to verify them. I guess the scar on my shoulder might provide partial proof. How in the world would people go about getting documentation of things done 60 or 70 years ago when they were children?

A few years ago, NY had an outbreak of measles. I remember as a child having one kind of measles and chicken pox. I still have the scars to prove that.  Not know if I had rubella or measles, I had a blood test to see if I was Immune.  
On a side note, I remember as a kid, going to the school auditorium and was given a polio vaccine in a sugar cube. Afterwards,  they rewarded us by showing Snow White.  

1 hour ago, terry2 said:

That’s because Saga is a British company and CDC rules only apply to cruises out of the US. However right now the UK has a “no sail” advisory and I don’t see that being lifted anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, terry2 said:

A vaccine that prevents illness might still allow people to become infected and harbor the virus in their noses long enough to transmit it.

New data from Moderna suggest that its vaccine may reduce transmission. Researchers found that people who had one shot were less likely than those in the placebo group to have symptom-free infections in their noses — and therefore less likely to be contagious.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/15/health/covid-moderna-vaccine.html

2 minutes ago, Scotmay said:

To those who have already been vaccinated, are you given some written proof of this vaccination!  I would imagine we will need to prove this in the future, ie., to board a cruise ship!

We were given a card with the type of vaccine, batch number and date. It has space below for the details of the second dose. I would say it’s probably very easy to fraudulently copy so may not be good enough for the travel industry. 

47 minutes ago, sandancer said:

We were given a card with the type of vaccine, batch number and date. It has space below for the details of the second dose. I would say it’s probably very easy to fraudulently copy so may not be good enough for the travel industry. 

Keep in mind that Saga's protocol is proof of vaccination with both the initial and booster doses and at least 14 days after the second dose.  They will probably alter that if the J&J one shot vaccine gets approved and released.  But I still think the 14 day requirement will stand.

I only mention Saga's protocol because if it works, CLIA and health authorities may want to incorporate their protocols into the requirements for a Conditional Sailing Order.

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

Well, the travel industry accepts the yellow WHO card (officially the International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis) given for your other travel vaccination. It is filled out by hand and only has a rubber stamp from the clinic that administers the treatment.

Come to think of it, when I finally get my vaccination, I'll bring my WHO card and see if they'll endorse it too.

It is titled Covid-19 vaccination report card. And the CDC logo is in the upper right corner.

If anyone wants to fake a CDC document I would think they are breaking federal law. Don’t think I would take the chance of being prosecuted 

22 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

It is titled Covid-19 vaccination report card. And the CDC logo is in the upper right corner.

That's interesting.  I wonder if they made a CDC report card since Trump took us out of WHO so we're not using the 'yellow card?'  Add onto that layer of confusion, what happens now that the new president just had the U.S. rejoin WHO?  Will we need to use the Yellow Card?

1557699777_CovidReportCard(2).jpg.73589d5032fa671fc622bb46c189d647.jpg

Edited by Daniel A

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

That's interesting.  I wonder if they made a CDC report card since Trump took us out of WHO so we're not using the 'yellow card?'  Add onto that layer of confusion, what happens now that the new president just had the U.S. rejoin WHO?  Will we need to use the Yellow Card?

1557699777_CovidReportCard(2).jpg.73589d5032fa671fc622bb46c189d647.jpg

My yellow card from WHO also has the CDC and the HHS logos on it. I'd bet they will all be acceptable.

• Like 2